Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   been here over 10 years and never.... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/809731-been-here-over-10-years-never.html)

Mimosa23 08-09-2013 02:01 AM

been here over 10 years and never....

..... Made Oopsie rolls!!!!! :eek:

Well, this weekend my sister is coming to stay and she just texted me to let me know she's doing LC too! :jumpjoy:

I wanted to make burgers out of some great meat that I got at the butcher: Beef heart, calf liver and braising steaks. I'm going to grind it all up nicely and grill them on the BBQ, serve them with homemade mayo and all the trimmings!

First I wanted to serve my own without a bun, but now that my sister is also LCing I thought why not? So I'm making Oopsies! After all these years, LOL, who would have thought???? :o:D

So any of you been doing LC for a while now and never tried something that seems like everybody else has already discovered???

AnnetteW 08-09-2013 04:53 AM

I've never made an oopsie roll either, and I've been here off and on for many years too.

Maybe I'll attempt some this weekend. Burgers are always good.

kimmarie 08-09-2013 05:24 AM

Oopsies are one thing I have never made. Have been searching the threads looking for recipes.

princessmommy 08-09-2013 05:47 AM

15 months LC for me and I have yet to try them either Lol! Let us know how they work with the burgers because that sounds Wonderful!

clackley 08-09-2013 06:12 AM

I make them regularly. They are really great for burgers. Have a great time with your sister!!

lterry913 08-09-2013 08:44 AM

If you add a tablespoon of flax and a tablespoon of plain protein powder they hold up soo much better imo. Ihave seen people make molds out of foil in the shape of hotdog buns and sub rolls and they turn out great. Just remember the egg whites have to be really stiff...you should be able to turn the bowl ovwr and they won't pour. Also a glass or stainless mixing bowl is the best for beating the whites.

cleochatra 08-09-2013 08:53 AM

I invented oopsie rolls, but I burned out on them years ago! *faceplam* Now no more do I whip those whites, yodel with the yolks, or do the can can with the cream of tartar.

I like to keep things simple these days, especially now that I'm not developing recipes for a website any longer. It's bacon, eggs, salad, lettuce wraps, and (okay, the occasional new) cheesecake for me.

Have fun with your sister, Mimosa!

Rhubarb 08-09-2013 09:07 AM

I love them. I don't make them often anymore but sometimes I'm in the mood to eat with my hands and they're my go-to.

Thanks Cleo!

Mimosa23 08-09-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 16552777)
I invented oopsie rolls, but I burned out on them years ago! *faceplam* Now no more do I whip those whites, yodel with the yolks, or do the can can with the cream of tartar.

I like to keep things simple these days, especially now that I'm not developing recipes for a website any longer. It's bacon, eggs, salad, lettuce wraps, and (okay, the occasional new) cheesecake for me.

Not only did you invent oopsies, your rolls are being used throughout the LC community! :notwrthy: I call that making history!!! I use lots of your recipes, just never got round to making the oopsie rolls!:o

tobelowcarber 08-09-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 16552777)

OMG, did not know it was you who invented them. Brilliant! I make them every week and they great for burgers.
I don't even use the cream of tartar or creme cheese. Just eggs alone do the trick.

Gabby1 08-09-2013 10:37 AM

I have made Oopsie rolls and they were a Godsend when I first started low-carbing a year ago. However, what I have NOT tried is the almond butter bread- there is a long thread in this forum about them. I think I am going to give those a try this weekend.

And Cleochatra- I am sad that you are no longer developing recipes, as you were so very very good at it (also inventor of the cauli-cheese pizza crust, no?). But all us low- carbers owe you a huge debt of gratitude for sharing your culinary brilliance and innovation. Thanks a million for everything you have done.

Sicca 08-09-2013 11:15 AM

I made them once, they are totally worth trying if you have the time to "whip" them up. I made ham and cheese sandwiches with mine and they were De-Lish!

This is how mine came out:
http://i.imgur.com/hWEn87tl.jpg

On a similar note it took me forever to make a MIM (Muffin in a minute) but when I did I was baffled how I had gone years on LC without trying that recipe. That's an EASY one and worth trying as well, with many variations. Good for the winter months when you want a warm "cakey" wholesome breakfast option.

Atkins Chick 08-09-2013 06:08 PM

The almond butter bread is amazing. I make it to eat regular coldcut or grilled chicken sanwiches or BLT slathered with mayo. I make it with almond meal and add in vegetable oil so they have a very neutral taste. I also make another version with the almond butter in a jar and i add a packet of truvia and its like a sweet loaf bread i have with my coffee in the morning.

clackley 08-10-2013 05:10 AM

One of the great things about oopsies is that they don't use nut flours which can be higher in carbs. Not only that, oopsies fit into an n.k. woe very well!!

pentimenti 08-10-2013 06:38 AM

I used oopsies quite a bit in the beginning. I think they were really helpful in adjusting to low carbing and a great way to indulge and feel normal at the beginning. I did make a batch a week or two ago, and enjoyed a BLT sandwich.

My friend at work gave me a hand mixer for my birthday last year -- at first I was making them with a whisk by hand. I recommend doing them by hand once, so you can see the magic that is the hand mixer. It is an amazing difference.

Demonica 08-10-2013 09:35 AM

I have tried a few times to make them, but I can never get the egg whites to stiffen up like it says in the recipe so I gave up. I stick with OMMs.

tobelowcarber 08-10-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonica (Post 16554038)
I have tried a few times to make them, but I can never get the egg whites to stiffen up like it says in the recipe so I gave up. I stick with OMMs.

Demonica- make sure the bowl that you use to beat the whites is super clean. I add little salt to it before beating and I get great stiff whites every time. Also, when you seperate the eggs, it is important that there is no traces of yolks in the whites. Just the little bit of fat from yolks will make it difficult to get the whites stiff.

Mimosa23 08-11-2013 04:02 AM

Just reporting back: the oopsies were a success and I will definitely make them again! Thanks Jamie for providing us with them!

Chyrie 08-11-2013 07:54 AM

I've made them but I'm too lazy...I just eat my burger with a fork. I've made them for my non low carbing hubby and he liked them. (I wonder if the flax and protein powder would help it...I don't have any :()

IndieKim 08-11-2013 07:59 AM

I made oopsies for the 4th of July when my apt complex had a big cookout. They're a lifesaver for things like that, plus I really missed sandwiches. Tried using flax and yeah, it's a good addition.

suzanneyea 08-11-2013 09:40 AM

I make them for the baby all the time. He loves them with peanut butter.

handbells 08-11-2013 09:58 AM

I have never made Oopsie rolls, OMMs, or Crack Slaw

Randi 08-14-2013 09:32 AM

I have been here off an on that long too, made them once and thought they were GROSS!!

rcookie 08-14-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handbells (Post 16555064)
I have never made Oopsie rolls, OMMs, or Crack Slaw

what is crack slaw? :)

Natalia 08-14-2013 11:32 AM

Crack slaw is sautéed coleslaw mix with ground meat.

I don't care for it much, but it sure is quick, easy, and cheap!

JKat 08-19-2013 03:42 PM

Can someone post the recipe plz..

Tracy0821 08-19-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicca (Post 16553030)
I made them once, they are totally worth trying if you have the time to "whip" them up. I made ham and cheese sandwiches with mine and they were De-Lish!

This is how mine came out:
http://i.imgur.com/hWEn87tl.jpg

On a similar note it took me forever to make a MIM (Muffin in a minute) but when I did I was baffled how I had gone years on LC without trying that recipe. That's an EASY one and worth trying as well, with many variations. Good for the winter months when you want a warm "cakey" wholesome breakfast option.

Where can I find the recipe to make this?

cleochatra 08-19-2013 06:19 PM

Hi, Tracy! My recipe can be found in the pinned/archived recipes section.

Tracy0821 08-19-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 16566015)
Hi, Tracy! My recipe can be found in the pinned/archived recipes section.

Thanks so much :jumpjoy:

Mimosa23 08-20-2013 12:16 AM

This past weekend I made small aperitif bites... I didn't take pictures, sorry!

I made a thin sheet out of the oopsie batter, baked in oven until cooked and cut the sheet into small squares and left to cool completely. They were pretty firm. I then topped them with slices of chorizo sausage which I fried and then steamed in red wine. I then plopped some creme fraiche mixed with lemon on top and topped that with a fresh basil leaf. Looked great, tasted even better!

I also made an egg swiss roll out of another sheet of oopsie batter that I didn't cook as firm as the one used for the chorizo bites. I left it to cool and spread finely chopped hard boiled egg mixed with homemade curry mayonaise and fresh chopped chives. I then rolled up the sheet of oopsie and left to firm for a bit in the fridge. I cut this into bitesize wheels. Also delicious!

Today I've also had a first: I prepared zucchini lasagne for the first time! I don't know why I've never tried it... I really love cooking and if I may say so, I'm not too bad at it either, but for some reason even ten years down the LC line I'm still trying out lots of old favourites for the first time!

- had some zucchini fettucchine (I bought this veggie spaghetti peeler thingy) the other day with homemade pesto and smoked salmon, another first. I now don't have to wait till spaghetti squash is in season!!!!!