Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   how do you take your coconut oil? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/809678-how-do-you-take-your-coconut-oil.html)

erinmarie 08-08-2013 06:00 AM

how do you take your coconut oil?

I am OBSESSED with evco. i use it for everything. it has replaced a good ten health and beauty products in my house, lol. in fact, i would have to say i am reformed. my beauty must haveas are no longer super expensive little jars from the department store, but rather co and lots of water. ive been making my own hair and skin care also, but thats another post. as far as actually comsuming co goes, what is your preferred method? i take a tablespoon in my bpc and usually a raw tablespoon with lunch.... i sometimes drizzle another tablespoon over a meal or cook a portion of a meal with a bit. i use so much and its a bit difficult to find so i am a bit sparing when cooking with it, at least until i can find a place to get hq in bulk. mail order is out, as i will never recieve it. the mail.service ia more than.a bit sketchy ... lol. oh and also i oil.pull but not sure if that counts...
:high5:

smoky 08-08-2013 09:22 AM

I take mine mostly in my coffee

Ntombi 08-08-2013 09:27 AM

I cook with it, and sometimes add it to my tea or coffee.

soon 08-08-2013 07:16 PM

In my coffe, off a spoon. make that chocolate delight candy, use it as a body cream

DiamondDeb 08-08-2013 07:21 PM

It is not medicine; I don't "take it. lol...

I cook & bake with it.

zombiegoat2000 08-20-2013 06:02 AM

BPB is my new fav way to take it! I also use it as a face wash/moisturizer.

Mimosa23 08-20-2013 06:15 AM

I cook with it, I drink it in my BPC, I add it to almond butter in my homemade yoghurt, I use it on my body, I oil pull with it... Etc, etc, etc, LOL!

Cali girl 08-20-2013 07:20 AM

In my broth. Recently, I have been sautéing chopped red onion in coconut oil then mixing it all in my grass fed ground beef. I find the grass fed beef to lean for me. I made hamburger patties, DH said they were the best he's grilled.

UghNowWhat 08-20-2013 08:18 AM

In the form of coconut butter because I can't stomach the oil in any way.

Aomiel 08-20-2013 08:51 AM

With rum in a tall glass with a skewer of pineapple and...oh wait...that was before low carb. :o

I just made some paleo lemon poppyseed muffins for my son and husband. I tried it in my coffee but <blech>.

rose1 08-20-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16552084)
It is not medicine; I don't "take it. lol...

I cook & bake with it.

Sure it's medicine. It's good for what ails ya!

I eat it off the spoon or sometimes in hot chocolate at night. :cool:

gordita 08-20-2013 10:54 AM

I take it mostly on my hair and my skin.

But I use it in my coffee probably the most, rarely for cooking... more for candies, I guess (which are rare, too). My eaten oil of choice is hands down olive oil (which doesn't taste good in coffee).

evas 08-20-2013 04:37 PM

I have it in my coffee every morning and that's my primary intake. I sometimes cook with it but usually only when I'm making a Thai dish because the stuff I buy has a distinct coconut flavor. I tried frying my eggs in it one time but I didn't like that flavor combination.

I also use it for oil pulling, as an eye makeup remover and as a hair treatment for my bleached blonde hair. A couple of times I've used it in place of lotion on my skin when I got out of the shower but it takes a really long time to soak into my skin and not be greasy so I don't really do that anymore unless I have a lot of time to lounge around before getting dressed.

Ntombi 08-21-2013 01:05 AM

Evas, try mixing it with lotion. That's what I do, because it helps the lotion moisturize and the lotion helps the coconut oil sink in faster.

Jackie123 08-21-2013 04:29 AM

Primarily in coffee-but I'm going to try the mixing with lotion thing now. Thanks, Ntombi.

Aomiel 08-21-2013 04:33 AM

If you're talking about MTC oil (which is called fractionated coconut oil), this is a wonderful massage oil because it has great slip to the skin *and* it doesn't leave grease stains on clothing (not that kind of oil).

When my company sold it years ago, I did an experiment and pour various kinds of oil on one of my husband's t-shirts and then circled them with a marker and labeled them. After a trip through the washer and dryer, only the frac. coconut oil (MTC) washed out completely, with no stain *and* no residual old oil smell. Which means it's also great to spread on your body while still wet from the shower and then pat dry.

If you put essential oils into it, they'll be absorbed more readily into the skin (vs other oils like almond, etc.) as well.

And no, this doesn't work the same with the virgin coconut oil...just the fractionated.

Ntombi: No need for the lotion if it's frac. coconut. It absorbs readily on its own. If you all are talking about virgin coconut, disregard.

Ntombi 08-21-2013 04:55 AM

I'm talking about extra virgin coconut oil.