Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I just don't trust them anymore.. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/809676-i-just-dont-trust-them-anymore.html)

ladybarometer 08-08-2013 06:31 AM

I just don't trust them anymore..

I'm sitting here drinking what I hope is a sugar free mocha frap with heavy cream - it's delicious, but I found myself reaffirming over and over to the gal that was making it that it was to be sugar free and have heavy cream. I find myself doing this in resturaunts too - Did they really leave the starchy seasoning off my fajitas? Did they really leave the pancake batter out of my omlette at IHop? Over any over, I find myself doing this, and luckily I don't eat out that much - but I'm getting on my own nerves now! haha!

Anyone else have this trust issues when eating out?

clackley 08-08-2013 06:40 AM

I hear you! I try to order things that cannot be messed up and add my own sweetener and cream for coffee. I am tired of asking for the hwc and them giving me the wide eyed, I can't believe it look.

84k 08-08-2013 07:23 AM

Totally hear you.
I end up sticking with things they can't "carb up"

Dottie 08-08-2013 07:33 AM

The trouble I'm finding, especially with coffee syrups, is that I can't tell the difference since they keep improving the taste of the sugar free ones :laugh:

ladybarometer 08-08-2013 09:34 AM

Since I've been asking for heavy cream, each person gives me this crazy look like ARE YOU INSANE! I've gotten over the shame I think :laugh: and enjoy my beverage - I think I've gotten to the point that I can taste the difference, and REALLY feel the difference afterwards.

This morning I had my sugar free mocha first thing at 8:30, with heavy cream and wasn't really all that hungry until after 11am, and I really wasn't starving; I had two boiled eggs and now I'm good for another few hours - which for a breakfast drink, it's great. When I get a regular mocha, I'm starving about half an hour after I finish it.

micheleredit 08-08-2013 09:54 AM

Don't worry I find myself doing the exact same thing LOL!!!

:laugh:

Ntombi 08-08-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16550929)
The trouble I'm finding, especially with coffee syrups, is that I can't tell the difference since they keep improving the taste of the sugar free ones :laugh:

This! When I order diet coke, I can taste and tell that I got what I asked for. With coffee drinks, I can't.

cleochatra 08-08-2013 10:50 AM

I won't even lick envelopes. Starch. I totally get it.

gordita 08-08-2013 11:19 AM

Yup, I do the same thing. I went out for a drink the other day (diet cola and whisky) and I really couldn't tell if they gave me regular cola. I got so paranoid that I sent it back. The waitress was really sweet about it.

MtherGoos 08-08-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleochatra (Post 16551268)
I won't even lick envelopes. Starch. I totally get it.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!:rofl::rofl: I refuse to lick the envelopes because I don't know what's in the glue and it may be carby. My family thinks I'm nuts, but that's okay. :p

I'm the same way in restaurants. I usually stick to a steak, or bacon and eggs with the eggs cooked over hard because I don't trust the scrambled eggs not to have pancake mix, or something else, added to them. We rarely eat out any more, it's just not worth it! I do like Chipotle though. I feel pretty comfortable that their ingredients are good quality. It's about the only place I eat out any more.

Catzmom 08-08-2013 02:31 PM

Me too. Every time I order meat, I wonder if they have marinated it or basted it in some sugar-infused sauce.

emel 08-08-2013 02:40 PM

It's the labels that get me----

serving size 2/3 of pickle--- who cuts off a third of a pickle, for mercy's sake??
servings per container--- about 2 1/2. They're making the math hard on purpose, aren't they?

Zero times 48 equals zero, right?
Nope--- using one cups worth of sugar's sweetness of that 'zero carb' sweetener may add up to 12 carbs to your recipe.

DiamondDeb 08-08-2013 08:18 PM

I order plain coffee with nothing in it or an Americano. I've learned that anything they might add I can live without. If I trusted baristas I would ask for heavy cream but I don't.

I order very simple things at restaurants after having checked out the menu online if possible. Then I ask questions... I don't want to ask them to change the recipe because they are likely to mess that up. I do ask for "no croutons please" and for vegetables instead of starchy sides.

Natalia 08-08-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybarometer (Post 16550794)
I'm sitting here drinking what I hope is a sugar free mocha frap with heavy cream - it's delicious, but I found myself reaffirming over and over to the gal that was making it that it was to be sugar free and have heavy cream. I find myself doing this in resturaunts too - Did they really leave the starchy seasoning off my fajitas? Did they really leave the pancake batter out of my omlette at IHop? Over any over, I find myself doing this, and luckily I don't eat out that much - but I'm getting on my own nerves now! haha!

Anyone else have this trust issues when eating out?

Me too!! I always ask, then ask again about the sf syrup!
The only time I feel confident is when I ask for no sweetener at all, and put in my own.

Natalia 08-08-2013 08:37 PM

That reminds me, when I had a huge intolerance to caffeine (was on a drug that inhibited caffeine from being metabolized so it built up to crazy levels) I would ask for decaf latte, or decaf Americano. The taste was the same. The truth would come out at 2am with a panic attack.

Janknitz 08-08-2013 09:17 PM

I actually have seen the Starbucks people pull the carton of heavy cream from the fridge for me, so I'm ok with that. And you CAN tell the difference between omelets if pancake batter is added. (It's fluffier).

Olive 08-08-2013 10:22 PM

I have awful restaurant trust issues!! My solution is to order everything as plain as possible and I don't eat any sauce (ask for butter and olive oil instead). To drink, I never order anything but black coffee, diet soda or water -- don't have intelligent tastebuds to alert me to sugar/milk lol

Olive 08-08-2013 10:26 PM

I find myself ordering sea food a lot = less likelihood of sugar being in the marinade. I'm lucky that restaurants here tend to leave salmon and shrimp pretty bare.

buttercup30 08-09-2013 02:24 AM

I fear eating out because of my caramel color allergy. I try to order things that they can't screw up. It's still fun to ask for double meat on my salad at subway. They look at you like "what?! I thought you were on a diet!" They don't get the concept of low carb. I always ask for the full fat ranch in the bottle in the condiments section. I am absolutely certain it is full fat, because it tastes good. As far as envelopes, I do not lick those. They have germs on them. Now they make the ones you can pull the paper off of and stick.

Aomiel 08-09-2013 05:28 AM

If you're doing low carb, it's not enough to go sugar-free. The cafe at the local college carries a yummy sugar free chai that I used to get when I'd pick my husband up from work. She was nice enough to tell me the brand so I ordered it from Amazon. Uh yeah...it was sugar free, but the carb count was 24gm in one scoop! :eek:

clackley 08-09-2013 07:15 AM

Any coffee place will pull out the carton of hwc and let you use it once they get over their confusion.

Krissy2010 08-09-2013 08:32 AM

Yup I freak out too and I find that the more I low carb and don't eat sugar that the sweeter things are. When I order unsweetened tea I used to add my sweet n low before sipping it and it would freak me out because it would seem really sweet and I'd wonder if it was sweet tea! I never order any omlets or scrambled eggs anywhere eating out because I don't trust them. I always freak that they look at me and think "stupid skinny ***** should eat whatever"... I was at the rodeo and asked for diet coke and she gave me regular and so I told her. So she pours it out and refills the same cup with diet. I almost didn't say anything but I'd worked so hard to not cheat on my diet and I wasn't gonna eat sugar because of someone else's mistake. So I told her I'm allergic to sugar and that I needed a different glass..... It's a nuisance but the low carb works for me :)

stews 08-09-2013 08:54 AM

not here. if I am trying to eat lc or any other special plan when I'm out or at company's houses or wherever the food is not 100% in my control, I make the best choices possible and don't stress about it. I am not going to take the enjoyment out of everything I do for something that may or may not happen (them messing up). I refuse to stop going out with family or friends and I refuse to take the enjoyment out of it because of stressing over it. I try to eat reasonable portions and move on to my next meal no matter what happened at that one. If I think something went wrong I can bbe extra strict for a few days if need be.

the majority of meals in a week are totally in my control and I can worry about those and do the best I can elsewhere. if I'm watching carbs, I many times will be extra careful for the meals around the one that I eat out, though to help cover for hidden carbs that I don't know about. I've never had an issue with the meals that I've eaten out when done this way.

Janknitz 08-09-2013 09:00 AM

The truly funny part is when I order my skinny mocha with HWC. The Starbucks crew is seasoned enough not to shake their heads, but I'm sure they are inside. And other customers in line look at me funny.

I don't really trust the "skinny mocha" syrup, so this is a once in a great while treat.

stews 08-09-2013 09:03 AM

oh and I totally trust my favorite barista. its my daughter and she will make it skinny unless I specify otherwise. i almost trust her less if I want a regular one to make it that way for me than I do if I'm ordering skinny, lol.

Blue Skies 08-09-2013 09:12 AM

I was out to dinner last night and found myself sounding like Meg Ryan in that restaurant scene in When Harry Met Sally---no not THAT scene :laugh:, the one where her order takes 5 minutes.

lterry913 08-09-2013 09:37 AM

Hahah...I waited tables for years and I remind ME of the custumers I used to wait on...I did not find them annoying at the time but did think, man they worry a lot...now I know why...And don't think it can't happen because my friend and I would each order sf americanoes daily, hers caramel and mine mocha...one of the barristas would make hers with the regular full sugar caramel because the lable was different on that brand...this went on for awhile until she finally asked, are you sure this is sf because when you make it it tastes much better than when others do...she was shocked and he was embarrassed to admit he had been using the wrong stuff for months. No wonder she was having such a hard time losing.
Always double check and if it tastes different ask them to see the bottle or make it over...the price we pay for the food along with the tip is what entitles us to do this.

Janknitz 08-09-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16552699)
I was out to dinner last night and found myself sounding like Meg Ryan in that restaurant scene in When Harry Met Sally---no not THAT scene :laugh:, the one where her order takes 5 minutes.

My husband is like that! He can take an hour to decide. I think he just loves to look at menus and consider the possibilities, but in the end, he always orders duck if it's on the menu.

Now that my diet is restricted, I make a point of going online beforehand and having a Plan A and a Plan B depending on how the mood strikes me when we are actually there. Whatever I choose will work with my plan, but may include a planned indulgence sometimes. And I'm always willing to listen to the specials, too. Sometimes the difference between Plan A and Plan B is whether or not the restaurant can accommodate my special requests.

It's a little depressing sometimes that I'm limited in the menu. One of my favorite places I always end up getting the same thing because it's about all I can have there. Delicious, but getting old. (considering I only eat out about 3 or 4 times a year, I'd like some variety)

And sometimes the menu is not available. We went to a highly regarded, Michelin rated restaurant for our anniversary but on Saturdays (the only time we could go since it's out of town) they have a prix fixe menu, and you don't know ahead of time what's going to be on it since it's whatever the chef likes at the market that day. I thought it would be no problem because previous menus looked great, but the night we visited peppers were featured in EVERY dish except the crepes. I hate peppers. :sick: And the crepes had a cream sauce filling--not the type of filling you could ask for without the crepes. Not a good night for me. I ended up with two salad courses for dinner--very EXPENSIVE salads. Delicious salads, but that lettuce cost a lot of lettuce!

dawnyama 08-09-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janknitz (Post 16552666)
The truly funny part is when I order my skinny mocha with HWC. The Starbucks crew is seasoned enough not to shake their heads, but I'm sure they are inside. And other customers in line look at me funny.

I don't really trust the "skinny mocha" syrup, so this is a once in a great while treat.

I was at work (I am a part time Starbucks barista) one day when my manager got an email about the "skinny mochas". Not sure what prompted the email. But it was about them not being truly sugar free. It went on to say that the FDA rules are what they go by when counting something as sugar free and that the skinny mochas are not truly free of sugar :p

We have a few customers that ask for the heavy whipping cream in their drinks. I pull out the container without another question. I understand, but after being low carb for 13 years I would say I have had a head start on it :) I am just glad we use Kroger's brand of heavy whipping cream. I have seen the thread about other creams having carbs.

dawnyama 08-09-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16552748)
Hahah...I waited tables for years and I remind ME of the custumers I used to wait on...I did not find them annoying at the time but did think, man they worry a lot...now I know why...And don't think it can't happen because my friend and I would each order sf americanoes daily, hers caramel and mine mocha...one of the barristas would make hers with the regular full sugar caramel because the lable was different on that brand...this went on for awhile until she finally asked, are you sure this is sf because when you make it it tastes much better than when others do...she was shocked and he was embarrassed to admit he had been using the wrong stuff for months. No wonder she was having such a hard time losing.
Always double check and if it tastes different ask them to see the bottle or make it over...the price we pay for the food along with the tip is what entitles us to do this.

I make no hesitation to re-make a drink. In fact, I always re-make a drink even if I am sure I did it right. I want to be 100% right in my drink-making and if I question if I pushed the decaff button or used the regular instead of sugar free syrup--I will restart the drink without even letting the customer know. But that is me :)