Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
At Dunkin Donuts I make them show me the SF vanilla syrup, because I am pretty sure that one time they didn't use the SF.... it just tasted different, and when I checked my blood sugar about 30 minutes later it was elevated.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I make no hesitation to re-make a drink. In fact, I always re-make a drink even if I am sure I did it right. I want to be 100% right in my drink-making and if I question if I pushed the decaff button or used the regular instead of sugar free syrup--I will restart the drink without even letting the customer know. But that is me
This is awesome and how it should be...I was the same way if a customer questioned something. I would always return it to the kitchen and ask for a new one...every once in a while they would try to sneak the same stuff back out to you...I would often have the customer cut or move the food on the plate to assure them what I was bringing back was new and fresh. It's hard to gain trust from your customers but if you do they will come back and treat you well ,tip wise, generally.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RhondaC
Stats: 5'9" 240.5/227.8/170
Start Date: 6/1/14
At Starbucks, I always order regular blonde roast. I get a Tall in a Grande cup so there is lots of room for HWC. Then I just ask the barista for her HWC, and pour it myself.
RhondaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buttercup30
Stats: 394.6/377.8/150
Start Date: July 2013
I used to love to get coffee at my local Valero station. I do not trust them to have sugar free though. With the caramel color allergy to boot, it's just not worth it.
buttercup30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UghNowWhat
I know this feeling. I cut way down on Starbucks because it was too much aggravation. (I have more money in my bank account each month now). I shouldn't have to feel stress or anxiety about what they're giving me but I was. I prefer the drive through but then you can't see the person making your drink to make sure they put sugar free and real cream. I was getting way more screwed up drinks than normal ones. My shots of expresso or decaf vary depending on the day and time and sometimes the drink would be correct except ofr that. I have 4 Starbucks within a reasonable distance from me and I'd rotate them depending which had new people because they're almost always the worst. It's not even the newbs fault.. Starbucks does not seem to teach their new people here that lattes and fraps can be made with heavy cream or half and half. Sometimes the headsets are also having interference so they don't hear you well. The good baristas that do not hear you well will re-ask you at the window but most of them just make a drink to get rid of you.

I used to drink them with Half&Half just because it was easier and less aggravating but my weight loss would slow down. I definitely lose faster with heavy cream.

I've had more luck with various Target Starubcks. They're slow and don't usually have lines and you seem to get more attention then at a regular, rushed Starbucks. The person taking your order usually makes your drink.
UghNowWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Yep, me too.
Seems like it's something we lc'ers are prone to.
I was out at a cheescake factory the other day with friends.
After lunch ordered coffee with HWC. The waitress had to pause a moment before saying
" I think we have some in the back" When she served the coffee she proudly proclaimed "Regular coffee with heavy cream" and put the little pitcher in front of me.
I thanked her and then poured it into my coffee reeeeeaaaaaaaaaallllllll slowly. Examining it like it was liquid gold or something. I remember remarking to myself "looks a little thin, i'll bet it's half and half" LOL...the coffee tasted fine, but I guess I'm just crazy about this stuff.
Welcome to the club!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelle765
Stats: 240.2/194.0/135
Start Date: 7/19/2013
Food safety too!

I hear the restaurant reports and it makes me think twice (slime in the ice machine). When we feel like a treat, I spend a few extra bucks and grill steaks or whatever. I know what's in the food then and how it was handled after I got it home and feel better about it. Of course, there's also the whole does-my-food-have-hidden-carbs thing that I don't have to worry about. The only carbs are the ones I add on purpose. I am, because of that, actually pretty much eating whole foods, which is pretty cool.

Michelle
Michelle765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buttercup30
Stats: 394.6/377.8/150
Start Date: July 2013
I actually went out to eat tonight. This was my first time to go out to a sit down meal after starting low carb. I was able to stick with my diet. It was awesome. I just picked out my croutons, and passed off my roll and my crackers. I was amazed at just how full I was. I had a 12 ounce ribeye, broccoli with butter sauce, and green beans with bacon in them. I like a blue cheese butter sauce on my steak. I saved a portion of my dressing that they brought out with my salad, and kept my butter that they gave with my roll. I then looked at my "butter" it was 44% vegetable oil, and 4% cream. It was still tasty. I should have drained the butter off my broccoli. It was one of the few restaurants I actually trust.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Actually Starbucks is one of the few places I really do trust.
There are several in my area and I go to them all. Never had a problem
getting HWC...no hesitation at all, except for one time, an obviously new barrista
girl didn't know so she asked another barista who said "no problem" and reached under the counter to the fridge and brought it out. They do it right in front of you and usually ask "is that enough" or something similar.
So for me Starbucks is a worry free zone when it comes to getting my HWC
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Bump.

Look what happened to me yesterday when I ordered my first heavy cream latte in 3 weeks...

What the *** is 18%???? Where did they even get 18% that from? I've never seen that before ever!!! And I've been buying them on and off for a few years now!

I'm assuming it was made with milk and they added a tiny,tiny bit of cream which is where that crap number came from. They argued with me and would not remake it..but "fixed" it by dumping some out and filling the bottom with cream. It made no sense whatsoever but it tasted and looked right after they added the HWC and I was still in ketosos so whatever..never going to that one again.

I'm mostly sticking with Target Starbucks. They always do it correctly with no issues and probably because they're slower.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

And if it HAS to be called "Skinny Syrup" then why can't I say FAT CREAM!!

Last edited by UghNowWhat; 09-01-2013 at 09:11 PM..
Old 09-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #42
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Is that the fat percentage in the cream? Like 2% milk?

I just googled it. 18% fat cream is also called "coffee cream." Heavy whipping cream, which is what I usually see in grocery stores, is 36% or more fat.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Before I went LC I was looking for the healthiest boxed cereal I could find. One that gave you the most fiber and the least amount of sugar. I found one, according to the nutrition facts it had 0 grams of sugar. I poured a bowl of it and thought, wow, this is pretty sweet for a cereal that has no sugar. I read the ingredients, it contained an artificial sweetener Two in fact, one that I had never heard of. I wanted food that had no sugar and all they do is just replace it with a chemical sugar to cover up the taste of crappy processed food. Now I just go out and naw on some sticks if I want fibre. LOL. Me, I am completely ANTI processed foods. I think we as consumers have been duped into believing we need to eat so much, and eat crappy foods. I kind of agree that these companies that process food aren't necessarily diabolical. They have just given consumers "what they like" to sell more food. And we like sugar! And salt! And something nice and crunchy! And something fatty tasting! But we need to wise up or we will have an statistical average weight of over 200lbs. The national averages are slowly climbing up over the decades, as same as the clothing sizes. Some doctors are completely turning a blind eye, and telling people it is ok to carry around 50lbs of bodyfat. It isn't. Viceral fat swishes your organs, it isn't healthy. My dad is an example, he looked skinny on the outside gained 30lbs in his middle age which was all around his belly. He had diabetes and cancer, and died at 56. What killed him? The boxes of donuts and cookies he kept hidden in our garage.

Ok, that is my rant for today, thanks for the post!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
I understand compleatly. I was at Starbucks yesterday. I ordered a Redeye with heavy cream, and I saw my barista pour it from a plastic half gallon jug that looked like whole milk. I couldn't bring myself to drink my coffee until I asked her to show me the container-I used the pretext that I was checking the ingrediants for carageean. It was light cream in the plastic half gallon jug, not heavy cream, but I went with it.

Last edited by Jackie123; 09-02-2013 at 03:57 AM..
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by UghNowWhat View Post
Bump.

Look what happened to me yesterday when I ordered my first heavy cream latte in 3 weeks...

What the *** is 18%???? Where did they even get 18% that from? I've never seen that before ever!!! And I've been buying them on and off for a few years now!

I'm assuming it was made with milk and they added a tiny,tiny bit of cream which is where that crap number came from. They argued with me and would not remake it..but "fixed" it by dumping some out and filling the bottom with cream. It made no sense whatsoever but it tasted and looked right after they added the HWC and I was still in ketosos so whatever..never going to that one again.

I'm mostly sticking with Target Starbucks. They always do it correctly with no issues and probably because they're slower.

18% cream is called coffee cream. It is sold in Canada- there is no half and half here-- coffee shops are required to use coffee cream unless otherwise specified.

We also have cereal cream, which is 10%.
So, it's a real thing.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
18% cream is called coffee cream. It is sold in Canada- there is no half and half here-- coffee shops are required to use coffee cream unless otherwise specified.

We also have cereal cream, which is 10%.
So, it's a real thing.
lol. That might make sense if I were in Canada. US here.

This wasn't a new drink for me or even the first time I've ordered a latte with HWC from this location so it was really random.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josh1234
I see your point. Even Trader Joe's, whose products I love, often has things made in ways I would not make them at home. Face it, any food made in plants (versus grown on plants) is going to be adulterated in some way. They have to do it to get the shelf life and keep some flavor in it. I bought some pesto the other day from a well known 'healthy' food store. I was shocked to find that it contained more soybean oil than olive oil. Heck, I thought the pesto recipe was with olive oil, not any other oils. Fool me once......
Josh1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
My method for dealing with restaurants (when I'm being very strict with myself--which comes and goes...) is to tell the wait person that I'm allergic to wheat and a diabetic so I can't have sugar. Yeah, they're both an exaggeration, although I guess I could say that I'm allergic to wheat because it makes me crave more and gain weight.

After saying that, I've always found the restaurant folks to be very accommodating in leaving off sauces, checking with the chef, making something special (i.e., plain), etc.

And after good service like that, I leave a good tip!
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Starbucks in Ontario only puts out half and half during the day because people seem to prefer it (it's 10%). They will put out the 18% in the morning but if you want the 18% in the afternoon you have to ask for it. They also have 35% but they never put that out. You have to ask for that all the time.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by UghNowWhat View Post
lol. That might make sense if I were in Canada. US here.

This wasn't a new drink for me or even the first time I've ordered a latte with HWC from this location so it was really random.
Um. Yeah.
All I meant was that 18% is a legit cream.
You kind of made it sound like the franchisee was in the back room with beakers trying to figure out a way to rip people off.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
Um. Yeah.
All I meant was that 18% is a legit cream.
You kind of made it sound like the franchisee was in the back room with beakers trying to figure out a way to rip people off.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
OMG I pretty much only trust steakhouses anymore.

And certain seafood joints, but only if they have an open kitchen where I can scrutinize if it's really only lemon-garlic butter being poured on.

An aside here: it strikes me as so cheap and lazy that most restaurants, even high-end, put cornstarch and/or flour in all their sauces. It's so easy to make a gorgeous, thick creamy sauce without that stuff -- just learn a little bit about deglazing methods.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
My method for dealing with restaurants (when I'm being very strict with myself--which comes and goes...) is to tell the wait person that I'm allergic to wheat and a diabetic so I can't have sugar. Yeah, they're both an exaggeration, although I guess I could say that I'm allergic to wheat because it makes me crave more and gain weight.

After saying that, I've always found the restaurant folks to be very accommodating in leaving off sauces, checking with the chef, making something special (i.e., plain), etc.

And after good service like that, I leave a good tip!
That's not a bad idea, actually.

Trouble digesting lactose = need HWC is another good excuse!

I actually break out in hives if I get too much sugar. I have a mysterious autoimmune hive condition which has multiple triggers (just a light scratch, heat, sun light, etc.). I actually break out in hives from sugar, which is hard to believe, but it has happened so many times I have to think high blood sugar causes me to break out in hives. My guess is sugar is inflammatory, and the allergist says my skin seems to release histamine at the slightest stimulation.

I don't use sweeteners anymore but in social situations order a diet soda The last time I did this they gave me regular. The waitress was embarrassed and said she wondered if she had mixed them up.

Ugh. The stuff is so incredibly full of sugar and iced I think it can be hard to tell. I had taken down a lot in three sips before I was sure.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote