Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Habaneros are a lot hotter than jalapeños, but they are also fruitier. I love that fruity-spicy flavor of the pepper, and I use them often.

I buy whole habaneros, which are easy to find here, and mince them myself. I leave in most of the ribs, but remove the seeds before mincing.

They're small, but pack a punch. I make poppers about 4 peppers (8 poppers) at a time, and half a habanero works for my spice level preference. Keep in mind, I'm a chili-head!

bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
haha my husband has discovered that he likes playing with bacon wrapped poppers.
So I just let him have the kitchen and enjoy the fruits of his labors.

We've been doing them with chevre and water chestnuts.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Habaneros are a lot hotter than jalapeños, but they are also fruitier. I love that fruity-spicy flavor of the pepper, and I use them often.

I buy whole habaneros, which are easy to find here, and mince them myself. I leave in most of the ribs, but remove the seeds before mincing.

They're small, but pack a punch. I make poppers about 4 peppers (8 poppers) at a time, and half a habanero works for my spice level preference. Keep in mind, I'm a chili-head!

I'm a "chili head" too. I love spicy hot foods. Thanks Ntombi.

Slightly off topic, but I remember when I used to think it was my love for spice and hot foods that caused me heart burn. Since I've gone LC, I've had absolutely NO HEARTBURN, no matter how spicy and hot I eat. Which leaves me to believe that for me, heartburn was a matter of carbs. I think this is another great myth waiting to be busted---what really causes heart burn?!

If you buy into the health/medical consensus, it's all about spicy foods. But if you hang around here long enough, you find out that many of us lose our heartburn by cutting our carbs, and don't have to worry a bit about how spicy we're eating beyond that.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Off My Duff
Stats: 297/277/197
Thanks for this topic!
Off My Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rcookie
Stats: 325/304.2/185
WOE: LC
Start Date: April 2013
Great thread!

Ntombi, can't wait to try your recipe thank you!!!

I, too, completely eliminated my heart burn by going low carb. I used to keep antacids in my vehicles, desk, purse, everywhere. Now I never need them. That's a huge benefit!!
rcookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
I'd say either being empowered by mastering my eating disorder, or crispy chicken skin.

Tough call.
awesome
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lola Bartez
Stats: 181/153/135-140? (5' 6")
WOE: ZC
Start Date: 22 June 2010
for me it's as you say - no going to bed hungry. I can't do hunger! Also control over my sugar binges and not having to weigh or count or measure anything

but mainly, for me, the lack of hunger
Lola Bartez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moss11
Love this thread! Got to agree with Emel-probably controlling a long term eating disorder is the main benefit! Followed by enjoying lovely food and producing tasty dinners for all the family.
Moss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #39
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Low Carb extended my father's life long after mismanagement in his health care inimitably killed him from cancer. Doctors never expected him to live so long--let alone that long. Atkins eating--while not saving his life--extended it mightily and gave me more time with my Dad than I would have had otherwise.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I can actually lose weight eating low-carb! That didn't happen with low fat, low calorie, high exercise (eat less, move more).

My almost daily migraines are gone.

No more food obsession.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
The three B's - butter, bacon and beef.

I can lose weight fairly readily and my body becomes more muscular - without exercise, which I dislike.

And truth be told, I do sort of like the "counter-culture" aspect of it. I am something of a rebel by nature.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dede66
Stats: 168/ 167/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 6/12/06
Ok Notombi ,, you have convinced me that this is the right diet for me!!! I failed so bad at WW this week,, stuck to the points and felt I was starving! I could eat a few of these and feel happy!
Dede66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

I'm so glad so many of you like this thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
And truth be told, I do sort of like the "counter-culture" aspect of it. I am something of a rebel by nature.
Love it!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Best Thing #4631: going out to eat at restaurants isn't automatically "cheating"...as long as you're insistently suspicious and interrogate the waiter
Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #45

I like that it is a realistic way to eat--- sustainable, as Phinney and Volek term it.

The food can be as involved or as simple as you like, and it can be delicious without a lot of effort. I like it that I enjoy my food--- not a fan of dry chicken breast and lettuce with fake fat-free gunk on it.

Alcohol with carb-free mixers can be a part of a LC plan--- of course we have to use moderation, but for me, having an adult beverage and naked wings with my friends on a Saturday night is a lot more fun than carrot sticks and lemon water.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I like that it is a realistic way to eat--- sustainable, as Phinney and Volek term it.

The food can be as involved or as simple as you like, and it can be delicious without a lot of effort. I like it that I enjoy my food--- not a fan of dry chicken breast and lettuce with fake fat-free gunk on it.

Alcohol with carb-free mixers can be a part of a LC plan--- of course we have to use moderation, but for me, having an adult beverage and naked wings with my friends on a Saturday night is a lot more fun than carrot sticks and lemon water.
Emel, how does your adult beverage work out for you diet-wise? I'm so worried about stalls that this martini fiend has been grudgingly teetotaling.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
Emel, how does your adult beverage work out for you diet-wise? I'm so worried about stalls that this martini fiend has been grudgingly teetotaling.
I'm not losing fast but I'm losing. 20 lbs in 10 weeks and that includes 3 1/2 slow weeks (right after the week 1 whoosh) when I was eating a lot to control my eating disorder. So not so bad for an old post-menopause non-exercising lush.

If you want to lose weight quickly, I'd skip it. I'd skip a lot of things if I wanted to lose quick. But I'm not racing to the finish. I'll get there, and I'm happy while I'm chugging along.

I do set limits, both for quantity and for frequency.
I drink very light bourbon and caffeine-free diet pepsi. Perfect? No. But I alternate with water, and I can stay cheerful all night long when we're out, all on about 3 oz of booze.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
Quote:
I make my own Chinese food fairly often, BTW.

I have never done any other eating plan, so I don't have a comparison, but I love meat and I love non starchy veg, so this is the plan for me.

As for the best things? Bacon fat and heavy whipping cream. And cream cheese. And jalapeño poppers. And Marie's blue cheese dressing. And ribeye steaks with a pat of Boursin cheese.
I second the jalapeño poppers. I love them too much, though. I'll make 24 and eat them all over the course of two hours. Then....next day...on the toilet....nuff said.
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Oh, yikes!

I make one meal's worth at a time, which for me is four or five peppers (8-10 poppers). Then that's my meal and I'm happy at the end. Both ends!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm not losing fast but I'm losing. 20 lbs in 10 weeks and that includes 3 1/2 slow weeks (right after the week 1 whoosh) when I was eating a lot to control my eating disorder. So not so bad for an old post-menopause non-exercising lush.

If you want to lose weight quickly, I'd skip it. I'd skip a lot of things if I wanted to lose quick. But I'm not racing to the finish. I'll get there, and I'm happy while I'm chugging along.

I do set limits, both for quantity and for frequency.
I drink very light bourbon and caffeine-free diet pepsi. Perfect? No. But I alternate with water, and I can stay cheerful all night long when we're out, all on about 3 oz of booze.
That's really not bad at all!

I'm envisioning vodka/club soda with a twist sometime in my future, but today I decided to go on Atkins '72 so that's pretty much out the window I think! Skip skip skip

(and it's all about staying cheerful)
Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Habaneros?! wow. You're hardcore.

I remember I tried one once and I felt like my brain had melted and was streaming down out of my nose. Plus teary eyes for days. It was way sexy.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Nothing, but nothing, can transport my tastebuds into raptures of joy like the taste of the dark brown caramel that comes from cooking meat in fat.

The sun comes out, angels sing, and I begin to moan and sigh in a way reminiscent of a famous resturant scene
Amen! "I'll have what she's having".
Gibby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Best Thing #4631: going out to eat at restaurants isn't automatically "cheating"...as long as you're insistently suspicious and interrogate the waiter
Bwahahahahahhahahahaha!!!

We've pretty much figured out what we can eat at our favourite resturants BUT a couple of weeks ago my daughter asked if we could swap out the fries for something like a salad. The waiter came back and said we could....for mash

So we ordered meat lovers pizza and triple stack burgers, shared the burger meat and pizza topping amoung our table, and left the carbs. The waiter couldnt figure out if we had finished or not for the longest time.....

I drink bourbon and coke zero on my socilising nights. I dont lose, but I dont gain either. I sort of just retain a little bourbon for a day or 3.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Going all day without eating.

I can have one meal at 6am and not be hungry until 6pm. And, be full on 1200 calories a day while maintaining my goal weight of 110 pounds.

I was raised on full fat everything so fatty meat and dairy don't really excite me, but I do like that I can eat all the different vegetables that I love.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 08-05-2013 at 02:53 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Whenever I'm feeling grumpy about not being able to have gnocchi or whatever, I tell myself "yeah, but you're losing weight and NOT going to bed feeling hungry" (like I did on 1,200 calorie, low fat, high carb diets before) and it really helps w/ perspective.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...dumplings.html
I make gnocchi using this dumpling recipe! I just made a copy cat recipe for Olive Gardens chicken and gnocchi soup for lunch using these. They taste pretty great and have a similar texture to olive gardens as well. I just roll the lill balls on my palms before dropping them into the water. A few pages in they talk about making it that way and said they even freeze well. Low carb is even more awesome with gnocchi!
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...dumplings.html
I make gnocchi using this dumpling recipe! I just made a copy cat recipe for Olive Gardens chicken and gnocchi soup for lunch using these. They taste pretty great and have a similar texture to olive gardens as well. I just roll the lill balls on my palms before dropping them into the water. A few pages in they talk about making it that way and said they even freeze well. Low carb is even more awesome with gnocchi!
Wow, look at that!!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
wow....why LC?
First thing was that it's the only way I actually could get to my weight/appearance goal.
I love being trim and fit.
But the other big reason is health. Joint pain is virtually gone, and bp is lower.
Everything about me seems healthier.
a sugary treat, or bagel can give a moment of pleasure, but it can't compare
to feeling good all the time, and that's what I get with LC
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catzmom
Stats: 228/179/145
WOE: THM
Start Date: Half-hearted start 10/12 - Re-start July 25, 2013
I don't finish every meal, not full at all, and wondering how on earth I will hold on until I can have my next meal. Also, if you are close to running out of carbs mid day, you don't have to starve to death the whole rest of the day. There are so many extremely low and very filling choices. How well I remember desperately trying to find something with only 100 calories in it that would last me from mid afternoon until bedtime!
Catzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nikkipowell
Stats: 214/187/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2013
I love the fact that I can eat all I want of the foods that are low carb. I have a problem with eating only a small potion of something. I also like the "well felling" I get after getting all the sugar out of my system.
nikkipowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
I like it that I enjoy my food--- not a fan of dry chicken breast and lettuce with fake fat-free gunk on it.
I feel like I have to start inviting people over to my house to eat chicken and salad so they can be converted into loving chicken like I do. I make chicken without any added fat and it tastes great. You just have to season it right and not overcook it. And, fat free gunk belongs nowhere near vegetables, it's just as vile as all those lc products like Walden Farms.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote