LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 204/171/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Taking one thing at a time

I first started back on the low carb WOE when I got out of detox for alcohol abuse. I figured since I wasn't drinking the carbs from my huge amount of wine any more that I could do both at the same time. I did well on both the alcohol and low carb for 6 weeks, and then when I hadn't lost any weight at all, I caved on both the alcohol and the food. I've decided to try to do one thing at a time for now, with the alcohol being the most important thing to get under control. I'm probably still going to be coming here every day for support and encouragement for the future, and hopefully I will get back to low carb soon. I just don't think I can do both right now at this early stage in my recovery.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Take care of yourself! Whatever you need to do, we're here to support you. Keep us posted on how you're doing, and when you're ready to deal with food, too, we'll be here.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Good for you! You might find more support here Addiction Support - Low Carb Friends
One day at a time.
Nelle Belle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
I have thought many times when reading your posts how hard it must be for you to do both at the same time. I know that I couldn't have done a weight loss program when I was quitting smoking and I can only imagine how hard it is if you are battling alcohol addiction.

I think one thing at a time is probably the right approach. You can still be mindful of carbs without consciously trying to lose weight. But trying to be in control of everything just sounds like a recipe for stress and relapse. Once you feel fully in control of the alcohol I'm sure you will be able to switch focus to a more strict eating regime.

I'm sure you'll do great.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
This is very wise, scintillady. It takes some time and work to break any habit, whether it's smoking, alcohol or food. If we have become addicted to any of them, it feels like there's a hole in life for awhile, till you get healthier and healthier and the hole fills in. Hard to take on two holes at once. When you are more comfortable in your sobriety, we'll be here for your next challenge.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
I wish you luck and hope and healing!! HUGS!!!!!
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
You can do it. Be gentle with yourself.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #8

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Wishing you a lot of success on your journey. You can do it! Baby steps is the right way to approach this.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Interestingly, in Atkins 1972 book he made the comment that he believes alcoholics have a carbohydrate intolerance and that their choice of carb ingestion is through the alcohol instead of the starches, sweets, etc. He thought a low carb diet was the answer because it would lessen the cravings for the sugar in the alcohol.

Watching my brother and other family members, he may be on to something.
When my brother is trying to stop drinking, he's shoving in the carbs (usually in sugar form). When he's drinking, while he eats, he's not noticeably chowing down on the sweet/carby stuff.

One day at a time...you can do this.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
It sounds like you have a plan in place to succeed, I wish you only the best, It's hard but you can do it!
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Good luck . One day at a time . Be mindful of the carbs but don't focus on them. Let us know how you are doing.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
Start Date: May 16 2013
Two addictions are rough to overcome at one time - I stopped smoking and lost weight (80lb)on low carb at the same time in 2008/2009. The smoking stopped but the weight came back on so am here again. I have family members who were alcoholics and the addiction is rough to overcome; they did it - you can do it! Stop by often....
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
I first started back on the low carb WOE when I got out of detox for alcohol abuse. I figured since I wasn't drinking the carbs from my huge amount of wine any more that I could do both at the same time. I did well on both the alcohol and low carb for 6 weeks, and then when I hadn't lost any weight at all, I caved on both the alcohol and the food. I've decided to try to do one thing at a time for now, with the alcohol being the most important thing to get under control. I'm probably still going to be coming here every day for support and encouragement for the future, and hopefully I will get back to low carb soon. I just don't think I can do both right now at this early stage in my recovery.
Yes!! That has been the best approach for me with my binge eating problem and it works very well for me when I just focus on the binge eating and not throw a diet in there as well. I still LC but I'm just "mindful" of how much I'm eating, not what, per say.

Good luck to you and you can do this!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dede66
Stats: 168/ 167/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 6/12/06
Behind you all the way. I have been thru this with my Mother back in the day,, and I wish I could have been there for her when she needed support the most,, but I was just a kid. I will always be here if you want to talk,, Im struggling with carbs,, food,, and the constant obsession of what to eat next,, I feel I NEED to taste something good all the time. I have failed and failed and failed, and I do not believe in myself right now as I sit here typing these words, I am pretty sure I am going to fail today. I just dont know when. I have a plan myself and I am going to stick to it today,, thats all I can guareentee for me. I am killing myself every time I eat wrong,, because I have diabetes. Obsessive eating is a sickness and many of us are struggling with these addictions of one form or another. We are here for each other ........thru thick and thin,,,,,,,,,lol!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Interestingly, in Atkins 1972 book he made the comment that he believes alcoholics have a carbohydrate intolerance and that their choice of carb ingestion is through the alcohol instead of the starches, sweets, etc. He thought a low carb diet was the answer because it would lessen the cravings for the sugar in the alcohol.

Watching my brother and other family members, he may be on to something.
When my brother is trying to stop drinking, he's shoving in the carbs (usually in sugar form). When he's drinking, while he eats, he's not noticeably chowing down on the sweet/carby stuff.

One day at a time...you can do this.
Yes, I totally agree. Does anyone remember the title or author (female) of a book on the dangers of sugars where she claims the same? I believe she ran a recovery clinic for alcoholics and had a much higher recovery rate (I believe in the 80%) than other programs. She attributed that to removing sugar and high glycemic foods from the patients' diets.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #16

Interesting:
Sweet preference, sugar addiction and t... [J Psychoactive Drugs. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
Quote:
Contemporary research has shown that a high number of alcohol-dependent and other drug-dependent individuals have a sweet preference, specifically for foods with a high sucrose concentration. Moreover, both human and animal studies have demonstrated that in some brains the consumption of sugar-rich foods or drinks primes the release of euphoric endorphins and dopamine within the nucleus accumbens, in a manner similar to some drugs of abuse.