Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121/118-123
WOE: my way
Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
The diet cure was also very helpful to me. I used supplements for about 4 months. What a difference!!
There is a companion website if I remember correctly. It helps make sense of all the info presented in the book.
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Off My Duff
Stats: 297/277/197
Subscribing for the excellent info shared in this thread.
Off My Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Subs,ribing.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: frank
Stats: 1993 ... 388 lbs today 235 lbs ... day by day
WOE: Atkins .....
Good thread ..... my appetite is never satisfied and when I binge it is on ... bacon sausage cheeseburgers eggs steak chicken salad fat-bombs and many other LC foods.... instead of 4 bacon and 2 eggs I may do 12 bacon and 6 eggs .... at nearly 400lbs many years ago none of these foods were on my binge list ...... LC has brought sanity to my world
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #36
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
ME! Not a single binge for almost 4 yrs. and I credit that to ketosis. And before that, it was a rare day that I didn't have a full-on binge. Carbs of the worst variety were like a drug addiction for me.

Last edited by clackley; 08-02-2013 at 05:00 PM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
ME! Not a single binge for almost 4 yrs. and I credit that to ketosis. And before that, it was a rare day that I didn't have a full-on binge. Carbs of the worst variety were like a drug addiction for me.
4 years
Wow!!!
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:01 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Thanks Mom2AandE and MtherGoos

Lisa- I am debating on starting l-glutamine. What dosage did you take?
tobelowcarber...I am the same as you. I cannot go for a week without the urge to binge and wonder what is wrong with me! I may try the l-glutamine as well if that would help...is this something you can buy at a health good store?
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
What I have found works is two things. A diet very high in fat and consistently having blood ketones over 0.5mmol. You have to be in ketosis or else your brain craves carbs. This doesn't cure the bingeing completely because you can also become interested in bingeing on high fat foods. Shifting your fat intake to incorporating a lot of MCT, coconut products and other foods that contain MCTs helps. Things like nuts are a bit dangerous because nuts are considered a fruit and contain trace amounts of fructose. Things like cheeses made from sheep's milk and goats milk are better for low carb snacks.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:22 AM   #40
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
From "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross--
(I highly recommend getting a copy of this book. You can pick the chapters which pertain to you, to design a custom supplement schedule. THere is far more info than I can quote here. The book is under 15 dollars, readily available online as paperback or kindle.)

Quote:
The supplements that will stop food cravings and binge eating overnight are amino acids (see chapters one and nine). To heal the digestive tract, include aloe vera juice, which repairs your damaged gut lining and gets your bowels moving; chromium and glutamine to decrease your sugar cravings by stabilizing your blood sugar; and calcium, magnesium, and potassium to support your heart (plus extra magnesium if you have constipation). GABA, vitamin C, and B complex lower stress. L-tyrosine will decrease caffeine cravings and increase your energy. DLPA (or DPA) stops cravings for chocolate and other comfort foods, and replaces the high of the binge (or purge) with a natural sense of well-being. Fish oil capsules will help stop fat cravings and help with PMS symptoms. 5-HTP or L-tryptophan will raise your serotonin levels, eliminating obsessive thinking, negativity, irritability, and insomnia. (Check with your doctor if you are taking antidepressants, and See page 258 on mixing these supplements with your medication.)
and
Quote:
B complex is also crucial for blood sugar regulation, cellular energy, and protection from stress. True Balance and GlucoBalance contain the complete B complex at generous levels.

Don’t leave the house without our other stellar blood sugar stabilizer, the amino acid L-glutamine. It can stop cravings for sweets, starches, and alcohol instantly (as I mention in chapters one and nine), by preventing the brain from dropping into the low blood sugar, code red, must-eat-candy-or-have-a-beer-or-hit-someone state. How? When the brain is low in glucose (blood sugar), it can burn glutamine instead. L-glutamine was first synthesized by a biochemist who quickly discovered how remarkable it was in eliminating alcoholics’ cravings for alcohol. It can have the same miraculous effect on cravings for sweets and starches. It has many other health benefits as well. It works fastest when used as a powder. (Open a capsule in your mouth. It’s great tasting.)
She recommends a dosage in this passage:

Section I, Relieving Cravings for Sweets, Starches, and Alcohol. If your cravings are triggered by a drop in blood sugar (hypoglycemia), the L-glutamine should alleviate them in just a day. Two 500-milligram capsules three times a day between meals is usually sufficient. For fast, emergency relief of carbohydrate cravings (and/ or alcohol cravings), take 500 milligrams of L-glutamine or more, if needed, by opening a capsule under your tongue. As L-glutamine stabilizes your brain’s blood sugar level, your mood will stabilize as well.

Last edited by emel; 08-06-2013 at 05:24 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #41
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
What I have found works is two things. A diet very high in fat and consistently having blood ketones over 0.5mmol. You have to be in ketosis or else your brain craves carbs. This doesn't cure the bingeing completely because you can also become interested in bingeing on high fat foods. Shifting your fat intake to incorporating a lot of MCT, coconut products and other foods that contain MCTs helps. Things like nuts are a bit dangerous because nuts are considered a fruit and contain trace amounts of fructose. Things like cheeses made from sheep's milk and goats milk are better for low carb snacks.
If the fats are pure and unadulterated with other ingredients, it is unlikely that someone would feel the compulsion to binge on them. I think it is always the 'other ingredients' that cause the issue. Similar to the issue of nuts.

I could easily binge on sweetened whipped cream but not the unsweetened and unflavoured. The same goes for butter. I love it but it is self limiting. Coconut oil is good but again, self limiting. The things that may tempt me to over eat are those that have some other component like carbs or protein.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
emel- I just downloaded The Diet Cure- did you take all the supplements she recommends? It seems like a lot of supplements.
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
emel- I just downloaded The Diet Cure- did you take all the supplements she recommends? It seems like a lot of supplements.
Each chapter and its supplement recommendations is for a specific need.

My needs were Chapter 1 (depleted brain chemistry), Chapter 2 (Malnutrition due to low calorie dieting --in my case it was junk food and not enough nutritious food) and Chapter 3 (Unstable blood sugar and carb addiction).

That means my solutions were in Chapters 9, 10, and 11 (mostly 11).

The L-Glutamine was suggested for me in Ch 9, as was meats and dairy,and 5HTTP at bedtime for sleep issues. L-tyrosine might have done me good but I couldn't find it.

Chapter 10 is pretty much skippable for now because it just reiterates the need for a well-crafted carb-controlled food plan and not letting ourselves get hungry. we already know that.

Ch 11 was big for me---chromium, the L-glutamine, vitamin E, correct protein and fat intake along with healthful veggies, B, C, and a multi for overall support, DHEA for stress support (my stress was physical,from poor diet and poor sleep.)

And then for the magnesium which was so crucial for my recovery, I just stumbled upon it on the internet through pure dumb luck (in a message board about night eating syndrome)

So browse the table of contents. Grab a pen and paper and jot down the 2 or 3 chapters which seem to most apply to you. Take a good multivitamin, and then make a list of the most crucial things to try, from the corresponding chapters in Part II of the book. After you form your list, I'd be happy to share the little bit I know about your choices and good solutions to your most pressing needs.

That being said, if we all took ALL the supplements from all of the chapters, we should buy stock in Merck and Phizer lol
Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #44
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I have NO trigger food besides sugar and that I stay away from. My issue is I binge because of emotions; depression, loneliness, anger, stress, etc. I never binge when I'm happy, or at peace. Food is the last thing on my mind when my world is balanced.

I'm always filling a void, one that seems bottomless at times in the emotion department. It's just plain hard!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I have NO trigger food besides sugar and that I stay away from. My issue is I binge because of emotions; depression, loneliness, anger, stress, etc. I never binge when I'm happy, or at peace. Food is the last thing on my mind when my world is balanced.

I'm always filling a void, one that seems bottomless at times in the emotion department. It's just plain hard!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Diet Curr helped me too. DLPA tutned out to be my best bet because the two components desl with physical and emotional pain, my triggerz. Phone post = bad typing. Lpl.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
When I binge, it's because I've thrown my blood sugar for a loop. I turned to LC for a cure. Since I started, I've binged once, and that's was my mistake of eating something at someones house for dinner that was super carby - I think went to Taco Bell as if I wasn't in control of myself and well - an XXL stuffed buritto and a Taco were devoured.

My triggers are breads and pastas and sugary things like cereal and ice cream - so I've cut them. I find that I can ocationally have a sugar free treat without binge, but I have to stay away from everything else or it's bad news

As long as you identify your triggers, and stay eventually get so easy that it won't even require much effort.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybarometer View Post
When I binge, it's because I've thrown my blood sugar for a loop. I turned to LC for a cure. Since I started, I've binged once, and that's was my mistake of eating something at someones house for dinner that was super carby - I think went to Taco Bell as if I wasn't in control of myself and well - an XXL stuffed buritto and a Taco were devoured.

My triggers are breads and pastas and sugary things like cereal and ice cream - so I've cut them. I find that I can ocationally have a sugar free treat without binge, but I have to stay away from everything else or it's bad news

As long as you identify your triggers, and stay eventually get so easy that it won't even require much effort.
Our experiences are similar.
It took a few weeks for the Diet Cure supplements plus low carb eating to help me, but once they did, it was like a switch---- from craving carbs every night to just BOOM don't need them.

On Day 3 after that Boom, I ate dinner with friends and got ahold of something carby. That night I felt compelled to eat.

For me, as long as I stay away from grains/flours type carbs, I do fine and I do not feel any compulsion to eat at night. I"ve put myself on the edge of it, such as with an almond flour muffin for a dessert, but I am able to resist. I think it might have to do with the amount of carbs per serving or per meal, especially during my danger time of evenings and nights. I intend to test that, judiciously.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #49

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_el View Post
I used to be a terrible binger, I would literally diet for a few days and then have a massive binge feel really bad and vow to start my diet again the following Monday (whilst still eating so much junk in the interim period) then the cycle would start again. This went on for years. Not even low carb & being ketosis could control it.

In the end the thing that worked for me was actually giving up dieting & worrying about weight for about a year, I gave myself permission to eat anything and everything I wanted, in reality this lasted a couple of weeks before naturally I started picking 'healthier choices' - I didn't really gain much during that year and my impulse to binge disappeared. I have been back on the diet wagon now for about 6 months and I haven't binged at all neither have I felt the urge & finally I am losing weight

I think psychologically my head was really messed up, sometimes we get so caught up in the diet/binge cycle we just have to step of the wheel and get some perspective.

Good luck in your journey.
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:00 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
If the fats are pure and unadulterated with other ingredients, it is unlikely that someone would feel the compulsion to binge on them. I think it is always the 'other ingredients' that cause the issue. Similar to the issue of nuts.

I could easily binge on sweetened whipped cream but not the unsweetened and unflavoured. The same goes for butter. I love it but it is self limiting. Coconut oil is good but again, self limiting. The things that may tempt me to over eat are those that have some other component like carbs or protein.
What I have learned recently is that there is a lot of physiological processes involved in bingeing. It is basically your brain telling you to eat even though you are getting enough calories or have enough stored nutrients (ie. body fat). I am in maintenance phase now and I set my daily calorie intake to be just over what I need on a daily basis to maintain my weight. I expect a slow weight gain over time based on how much I am eating. This was eye-opening for me, seeing as though my background has been yoyo dieting. With me it goes a bit beyond the emotional eating, I have food sensitivities that trigger "false" hunger and also I don't eat enough earlier on in the day. I seem to need the majority of my calories early in the day, and then fewer at night. In our house, the majority of our calorie intake occurs at night because we have more time to cook and eat. This is the reverse of what my body needs.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
I don't think there is any one triger for everyone. And perhaps my eating realy does not fit the definition of a binge but I have 2 trigers. I tend to eat 2 to 3 times as much if
I eat when I read. I also have some emotional issues that cause me to relaps. A little
over a year ago I talked to a therapist about this. I finaly worked through these issues
but not before turning back to the food. I haven't eaten anything while reading in 20 days now and somehow after dealing with those emotional issues this return to the weight loss road seems a lot easier.
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #52

Today marks 3 months binge-free for me.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.6/?
WOE: lc
I have basically just given up on the idea that I will never binge. I have cupboards full of supplements and shelves full of books that only help temporarily at best. I will continue to eat low carb but have accepted that there will be days when I binge simple as that.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121/118-123
WOE: my way
There is no Binging in my vocabulary

Well, I have been binge-free for the past 6 weeks since I started doing SLD (Shangri-La Diet). I did have few over the top days but nothing comparing to what I used to do. I have changed my attitude about the whole concept of binging. When I get desire to binge I look at that as my body sending me message that I need more calories or carbs or both. Just doing strict LC did nothing to prevent me from binging. My binges by the way only happened during PMS.
Since past couple of weeks or so I have started eating more carbs (mainly from veggies). I eat starchy carbs like carrots, beets, butternut squash and even drink carrot juice. The veggies, even though are high in carbs don't make me crave more carbs. Fruits, on the other hand, make me more hungry, so I don't eat them every day.

I am trying to relax a bit and just listen to my body. I don't have to be in ketosis as I don't have much weight to lose. The constant guilt that came after binges was too destructive. I would promise to never eat carbs again, go on strict induction only to find myself miserable when PMS striked. I would than go for days eating carbs because I knew I have to stop them again, so I was experiencing the "the last supper syndrome". It was a horrible feeling and I don't ever want to endure this again.
I am no longer a binger!!!!

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
No book has ever really had the answer for me. I've read most of them. Having done both high fat NK, Atkins and a Stillmanish diet I would say lean protein absolutely kills my desire to eat. I have to make sure I eat-go figure that one for a binger. But it makes me feel awful. So, I am doing a modified Stillmans. The main thing that keeps me binge free is to stay under 10 carbs a day. I am very cautious with sweet tasting foods. I'm not fanatical about this but if I want a more lenient day it would be Atkins induction. This is working better than anything else for me.
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josh1234
No. But I plan my binges very carefully, so I am ultra-low carb before them and after them. For example, later this week I am going with friends to a great pizza parlour. My breakfast and lunch that day will be as close to zero carbs as I can get it. So will breakfast and lunch the following day. Since I am really a lower-carb person, this works for me as the average carb consumption for the two days should be ok.

I would not eat the pizza if I needed to keep my carbs very low, such as below 50g a day. That's just too many days to have to average together. It would not be worth it.
Josh1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
I've never been prone to binging but have found that when I WANT something and want it NOW but know I really don't need something, a few bites of something "legal" that have a very strong taste satisfy me and end the craving- Frank's Red Hot mixed into mayo (a ton of it,) on 2 or 3 meatballs, 3 or 4 really good cured olives or a cube of super briny feta, a really good dill pickle spear, etc. totally do the trick for me. I log it all and it count in my daily macros.
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 194.0/?/115
WOE: Low Carb
I have been binge free since August fifth.

I went vlc and low fat for one month with one Atkins type meal a week. It literally killed my cravings. I switched to Judd and didn't add in any former binge foods.

My binging is triggered by feeling full. Its as if my body wants to feel sickeningly full. I am now eating high calorie foods so I don't ever feel full but I'm able to meet my calorie goals.

I also found out I am intolerant to wheat and corn. These two foods can trigger cravings in me, but other carbs are ok. Weird how my body was craving what was causing inflammation!

Currently detoxing due to numerous food sensitivities.

Gluten, yeast, & soy free!
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
awesome post MtherGoos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
I've been on plan, no cheats since February 22. I know there are many others that have been on even longer than that.

I was the QUEEN of bingers. I could eat and eat and eat, all junk food. Once you get past the first couple of weeks, it really does get easier. I stick to induction, so I basically eat just meat, eggs, and cheese. I keep it simple and avoid processed foods for the most part and I rarely even have the urge to eat anything off plan.
Wow! Am I ever glad that I started reading this thread and found your post. What tremendous progress and no more binging at that! You go girl!
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
Another awesome post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
I honestly don't remember. I think I took about 4g a day 2g am and 2 pm?? Not sure. Sorry
Thank you for outlining your marvelous progress so clearly Biochic and I heartily congratulate you. Yay!
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote