Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Have your results helped anyone you know to do LC?

I can't say for sure yet, but I was telling a buddy about my results from my blood work last week, and he said "I may give it a try." I have no idea whether he will or not, but he just lost about 30 pounds in the last month by using one of those programs where you buy food from them.... But he quit already because he said he couldn't afford it and he didn't like the food.

He still, easily has 125+ pounds to go, so he needs to do something. ( his words, not mine )

The thing is, I know he tried LC about 15 years ago, and gave it up in 2 weeks from food boredom. He doesn't cook at all, and lives in an apartment by himself so I guess he doesn't feel the need, at age 56, to learn how to cook. Last time I was at his place his freezer was filled with microwave dinners, and the fridge was condiments and beer.

I am really hoping that he gives LC another shot, but sticks to it this time.

And, lol, to avoid the inevitable post that would have come up, I bet, I did not suggest to him that he should LC; I merely was telling him about the results from my doing LC.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
My mom and stepmom (partners) did it for a while after seeing my success the first time around, but my stepmom couldn't get behind the thought of no bread long-term. She's a serious carboholic. Serious. After a while, they both just stopped. Now my mom has T2 Diabetes (diagnosed several years after she stopped LCing), so she would definitely benefit, but I've given up.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
No. A few tried but gave up.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
No. DH and I are both doing LC, and my nephew is interested in paleo (he doesn't need to lose weight at this point though). Everyone else I know who is concerned about diet is more worried about calories. My dad has lost over 100 lbs. since last October by counting calories. Should be interesting to visit them for two weeks coming up. When I asked my mother if she has any sour cream at her house she said no, but she can buy some, and should she buy the "light" kind? My co-worker has lost about 70 lbs. counting calories. I see her eating her small lettuce salad and fruit for lunch every day. Very hard for most people to comprehend the LC WOE.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 07-29-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
My Sil and MIL both started LC! My MIL is down about 60 lbs and SIL around 40! They are both doing so awesome!! I've had a Lot of people ask me about LC but as far as I know my sil and mil are the only ones on it
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
No...
And I wish my brother would for 2 reasons:
1.- He needs to lose some weight and stop drinking sugar and eating the amount of sweets and junk food he does.
2.- It would take temptation from me...

Maybe if I keep losing and getting healthier he will...
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005

Nope and don't suggest it, either . The few, like three times, my eating plan of choice has been mentioned, I got the I could never give up bread, pasta, ice cream, whatever or the old everything in moderation.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post

Nope and don't suggest it, either . The few, like three times, my eating plan of choice has been mentioned, I got the I could never give up bread, pasta, ice cream, whatever or the old everything in moderation.
Same here. Lesson learned.

They'll comment on how good my lunch looks and/or smells...and then, in the same breath, say they could never eat that way.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
Quite the opposite. My wife who didn't need to lose weight went sugar-free to combat another problem, and lost weight as a byproduct.

I had tried so many different things in the past that didn't work, so I did some googling and decided it to try it for myself.

That was in 2000, and I'm still 50 pounds lighter than I used to be, and I'm not hungry all the time.

I've heard people tell me you can't stay on that diet, but I proved them wrong. All my blood work including LDL and inflammatory markers are in the normal for my age zone. I don't know if it would work for everyone, but it works for me.

Most people I talk to won't do it. You heard them all I'm sure, "I can't give up MY bread", "I can't give up MY pasta", "I just can't give up MY fruit", and so on. I love the possessive.

Well I'm going to lose MY fat and keep it off.
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post

Although I will say, that either way sometimes all it takes is someone you know personally, to make it hit close to home that a change is a good idea.

Dh used to eat Hungry Man dinner for lunch sometimes. I would always laugh at the sodium on it and tell him how unhealthy it was. he kept eating them.
Until a co-worker of his had a massive heart attack. The co-worker was early fifties, single, and ate Hungry Man twice a day.
Dh never touched a Hungry Man dinner again.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post

Although I will say, that either way sometimes all it takes is someone you know personally, to make it hit close to home that a change is a good idea.

Dh used to eat Hungry Man dinner for lunch sometimes. I would always laugh at the sodium on it and tell him how unhealthy it was. he kept eating them.
Until a co-worker of his had a massive heart attack. The co-worker was early fifties, single, and ate Hungry Man twice a day.
Dh never touched a Hungry Man dinner again.
Wow ! What a lesson learned !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
My mom has tried low carb and dropped it several times, but she has gotten sick enough of yoyoing that I think she is actually ready to stick with it this time. For her sake I hope this is it - our family is prone to many obesity related issues and I want her around for a good, long time!
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Nope. They tell me how good I look and then say they could never give up the starches or they give it a try for a week or two and say they couldn't live like that for the rest of their life.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Some people simply don't want to do what it takes to stay healthy, and hope the doctors can fix them when things go wrong.

I suppose evolution taught us that when food is available, we better eat, as it might be starvation time tomorrow.

Plus the corporate media tells people "Fat is bad", "Carbs are good", "You can't live on Atkins" but understand that the corporate media is there to sell things, not to help you.

I don't push the diet on anybody, but if someone asks, I'll suggest it. If they ask, I'll explain the benefits as I understand them.

If they say, "I can't give my my fruit or grain" I'll point out this. When does the fruit and grain ripen? Right before the starvation season - winter in the temperate zones and the dry season in the tropics. So the animals gorge on fruit and grain and develop a nice layer of fat to keep them from going belly-up in the starvation season. But most humans in industrialized countries no longer have a starvation season, we have ways of storing the food in boxes, tins, and refrigerators instead of our waists.

But I don't preach if they don't ask, quit talking if they seem to lose interest, and all in all it's their choice.

People still smoke cigarettes too. I can't and shouldn't protect people from themselves.

Bobby
Old 07-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #15

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
The only one I have managed to convince is my 15 month old son. But, he can really only eat what I put in his highchair for now. So, it may not last.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
When I did Atkins the first time, my mom actually went on the Carbohydrate's Addict diet and lost about 40 pounds. (She could not give up ice cream so she worked it into the "reward meal" of that plan).

I went off Atkins and regained my weight. She also went off her plan and regained the weight. Second time around, what inspired her to go back to low carb was increasing blood sugar numbers. Her father died a nasty death from diabetes and she will not let that happen to her. That is what inspired me to return to low carb, too. Genetics is what genetics is and I figured if I started early I'd be that much better off. My mom's sugar numbers improved to a more normal range. She hasn't lost much weight this time.

The first time around, my sister-in-law, who is morbidly obese, started Somersize (remember that one?) She lost some weight but then freaked out when she started to shed hair and her hairdresser told her it was the diet. So she gave it up completely.

A lot of other people ask and say they're going to try it, but don't ever follow through.

Recently I had a good friend approach me about low carb because his triglycerides were dangerously high. I sent him a ton of information and offered to loan him my Atkins book. I heard nothing back more than a "thanks for the information" and a couple of questions about which liquors were better to drink than others. I've eaten with him several times since he's asked me to help him with low carb and I can see no discernible changes. Sigh. I am really not the hand-holding or nagging type . . . I'll help but I'm not going to DO it for him.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

You can't do it for them, and nagging will only lose a friend.

It seems strange to me that people will still eat an unhealthy diet that is making them obese, but there are so many that I also think it's natural. We are the minority.

It seems that the drive to put something good tasting on the tongue is stronger than the intellect. And if foods were still in their wild state and in their locally available season, that would probably be a good survival trait.

But we should know better.

But then, how many people still smoke? How many mountain climb for a thrill? How many drive too fast or too recklessly? How many do other potentially life threatening things for pleasure?

We all have our priorities. Some risk broken legs on a ski slope, others risk diabetes at a bakery.

To be as safe as possible would be a boring life. We need to find a place that is somewhere between never leaving the house and free-falling from a plane and waiting until the last second to open the parachute. And each one of us has our own place.

We're all going to die, it's a matter of when and how, and we don't really have control over either, although we can manipulate the odds a bit.

Me, I want to be healthy so I can enjoy the other things in life for a longer time. Some people I know would rather eat Strawberry Shortcake and check out of life earlier. It's their choice and also mine.

My grandmother in her later years was told not to eat stuffed peppers (and a few other foods) as they tore her up inside. She decided that if she couldn't eat stuffed peppers (and the others) she didn't want to live so she ate them anyway. They eventually got her. Who is to say she was wrong? Wrong for me, but for her?

So you can't nag and you can't do it for them. You can show them the road, if they decide to take it or to go the other way, it's their life.

My DW showed me the way, I took it, and 13 years later we are still on the road, I'm in my late 60s, on zero prescription medications, and all my blood work is in the normal zone. I guess it's right for me. But my neighbor might think living without donuts isn't living at all.

Bobby
Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Bobby , you're right.

But what's really striking, is that not so long ago, most of US would've said the same thing!
I can't live without bread!
Pastry is my crack!
I just can't give up donuts!?!!!

Until, somehow, we do. We get desperate enough, mad enough, scared enough , to do SOMETHING . Are we superhuman? Nope. We put one foot in front of the other until we are detoxed from gluten and sugar. Suddenly, we aren't under the spell anymore . We CAN do it.

It's the addiction to wheat and sugar talking.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

So true, Natalia.

People act like I have willpower of steel because I don't eat starches. That, or I didn't like them much to begin with. Previously my favorite foods were starchy. People just don't believe that, if I don't eat them, I no longer crave them. And that they can be the same way, possibly, but they have to kick the habit to find out.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
So true, Natalia.

People act like I have willpower of steel because I don't eat starches. That, or I didn't like them much to begin with. Previously my favorite foods were starchy. People just don't believe that, if I don't eat them, I no longer crave them. And that they can be the same way, possibly, but they have to kick the habit to find out.
No one loved chips and popcorn more than me! Yet, everyone claims I have amazing willpower. Just not true. They never believe me.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I even told my mom (type 2 insulin dependent diabetic)
It's only the first 4 days.
Just get through a week.
You can do ANYTHING for a week.

But, the addiction to wheat is so strong, she thinks she would be miserable.
I think she thinks its her only joy in life now.
It's so very sad :'(
She has the big C and its not looking good.
It's so hard to just stand back and let her be "happy".
Old 07-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Natalia, I am so sorry about your mom. That must be very hard indeed.

Quote:
No one loved chips and popcorn more than me!
Maybe not popcorn but I might have loved chips more than you! At least the same.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #23

I fed my dad waffles and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the end years. I knew it was bad, but...at that point. I just let him be.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2fourboyz
Stats: 277/working on it/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 28,2004 recommiting 7/1/13
I tell people all the time about how I lost weight on LC. Many have tried but most quit because they don't get to eat desserts...LOL. I wish I could just convey how SIMPLE it is if you just stick with it.
mom2fourboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

@Aquarius,
Thank you. I can't tell anyone in real life out of respect for my mom, who is a very private person.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 16 2013
The first day I brought pork rinds to work instead of 6 pieces of fruit as I usually did (free food on WW) the guy I share an office with looked puzzled. I told him fruit wasn’t healthy and pork rinds were. I told him I lost 80 pounds eating low carb in 2009, gained 44 back and was going to lose it again on Atkins. He and his wife were doing WW also and he said gained a pound last weigh in – I told him it was all the “free food” he was eating and showed him how many carbs were in fruit. I told him about ketosis, full fat and lack of hunger, induction, Low Carb Friends website, and the other Atkins phases. He and his wife discussed it, decided to try it in May 2013 and he has lost 25 pounds since – she is losing too but won’t say how much. They are both amazed at what they can eat, not be hungry and lose weight too.

I feel good that I helped someone out and they appreciate it.
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
no one ever benefited from me saying I do LC. the minute they think or hear 'no breads, dessert sweets, fried chicken old style way, etc etc they run for the hills. "I can never eat like that'' is all I ever hear. well, I can, mostly
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
So true, Natalia.

Exactly! People keep talking about willpower & how hard it must be.

My experience is that, as long as I eat clean, I have no cravings, I'm satisfied & don't even want to snack. It is so easy.

But, if I add processed foods back in I will get cravings and I will struggle. So I just don't do that.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Oh I Still (Over a Year later) get the " Everything in Moderation" speech from one of my Aunts who has Never Ever been over a size 4 in her life! The last time she told me that I said "Yep I could possibly eat wheat and sugar in Moderation But then I get Nasty stomach cramps and spend Hours in the bathroom!" she annoys me! Lol!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Before LC I loved MY popcorn, MY corn chips, MY potatoes, and lots of other MY foods.

But I didn't want to die of diabetes complications like my dad, or multiple strokes like my mom, so I figured I had better reduce the risks of those possible future demises.

When temped with that "Chocolate Overdose Cake" at a restaurant, I just think to myself, "That stuff can kill me."

So I've been low carb since 2000, and sometimes the smell of popcorn or brownies still gets to me, but most of the time this WOE is actually pretty easy once you get used to it.

And I'm healthy, and that's priceless.

Bobby