LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Oils to use / avoid?

I use olive oil whenever possible. But other than that, which ones should we be using, and which ones should we avoid?
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Use -

Lard
Ghee
Tallow
Duck/goose fat
Butter
Olive oil (but not for cooking as it oxidizes)

Avoid -

Vegetable oils
Soy bean oils
Trans fats
Seed oils
Margarine
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I mostly use bacon fat or rendered pork fat, coconut oil, and butter. In fourth place by far is olive oil. Once in a while, when I need a mild tasting liquid oil, I'll use high oleic safflower oil.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
How could I have forgotten coconut oil!!! It's a staple in my house!!!
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
In addition to those mentioned, I like macadamia nut oil on salads.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post
Use -

Lard
Ghee
Tallow
Duck/goose fat
Butter
Olive oil (but not for cooking as it oxidizes)

Avoid -

Vegetable oils
Soy bean oils
Trans fats
Seed oils
Margarine
I agree with this list for the most part, except I do use olive oil for cooking; I don't think there is anything inherently different about cooking with olive oil than any other oil, as long as you stay below its smoke point. I also use plenty of coconut oil, though mostly for eating at this point rather than cooking.

I do also use sparingly some sesame seed oil (in Asian dishes), and macadamia nut oil. Red palm oil (sustainably harvest from Africa) is supposed to be good but I bought it once and never used it. Bacon fat is good too. High-oleic sunflower oil or high-oleic safflower is probably ok, but I generally don't buy them myself.

I avoid canola oil as much as possible. My only quibble with The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living is that the authors seem to think canola is a healthy oil. I strongly disagree with them on that point.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 07-29-2013 at 08:46 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I use EVOO for salads or veggies, and sometimes cooking
I add coconut oil (1 Tbsp) every other day to my whey protein shake
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
I use:
Olive,
Coconut,
Sesame,
Bacon fat.
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
I pretty much only use coconut oil for my heels.... I hate the way it tastes.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

You can get expeller pressed coconut oil, which is tasteless.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I mostly use bacon fat or rendered pork fat, coconut oil, and butter. In fourth place by far is olive oil. Once in a while, when I need a mild tasting liquid oil, I'll use high oleic safflower oil.
this is what I use in that order also-----except don't use the safflower----
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vixendrop
Stats: 343/317/275
WOE: Very LC
Start Date: 07/03/2013
May I ask why you choose which oils not to use? Like, why not vegetable oil? Etc.
vixendrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
too high in omega 6 which means oxidation (read, aging). Should try to keep the omega 6s to less than 4% of total daily intake (or less). It is becoming clear that seed and vegetable oils are the likely cause of arterial plaque formation.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vixendrop
Stats: 343/317/275
WOE: Very LC
Start Date: 07/03/2013
And that's found in vegetable oil? Canola? What oil is that found in?
vixendrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Almost all vegetable and seed oils.

Soybean and canola oils are among the worst.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Uncooked: olive oil, butter, coconut oil, light olive oil for my homemade mayo. Sesame oil for part of a salad dressing sometimes. And I take 2 fish oil capsules daily. Considering adding flax oil and cold-pressed walnut oil, and I see nothing wrong w/avocado or macadamia oil, but I don't happen to keep them around.

Cooked: butter, olive oil, bacon grease, coconut oil, lard. Occasionally I'll fry LC-breaded chicken or seafood in peanut oil---it's cost-effective for deep frying and it's better than soy or corn oils.

I'll add a tsp of sesame oil to a stirfry.

Nothing wrong with using olive oil for cooking, but it's expensive and it loses some of its flavor. If butter or lard or bacon grease gives more flavor, I'll choose that to cook with, but sometimes I go ahead and use the olive oil. A lot of times I use half butter half olive oil for cooking, and I like that fine.

I wouldn't mind using high oleic seed oils, but I can't get them locally and I've nevered bothered to order them.

A very important thing about any oil is to make sure it doesn't get old and/or rancid. CO has a good shelf life, but the seed oils can be really bad if they get old/rancid.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

I also take fish oil daily.

I cook or marinate with sesame oil sometimes, but not a ton.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Okay, so I eat mayo with soybean oil, this is my only consumption of soybean oil.

As I understand it, soybean oil is supposed to be unhealthy because of the transfat, the risk of causing diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc and the alleged issues with Soy itself. The mayo I use is to contain no transfat. So ,I'm assuming I'm okay on the transfat side, but what is the issue with soy? Here's my other questions (1) is all soybean partially hydrogenated (2) does the label, in the US, have to read "partially hydrogenated soybean oil"?

Thanks
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I just read the mayo thread and discovered why soy is bad, so that question doesn't need to be answered, however, if someone has the answer(s) to the other two questions asked in my previous post your response(s) will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
don't forget avocado oil--yummy for mayo or salad dressings--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I also take fish oil daily.

I cook or marinate with sesame oil sometimes, but not a ton.
I forgot about supplements! I take fermented cod liver oil daily (4 capsules), mostly for vitamin A and D, though there is some omega 3 in there, and a fish oil capsule (1000 mg). Though I'm thinking of ditching the fish oil capsule. I'm on the fence about that still.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #22

I think that if it's hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated, the label has to say so.

Not all soybean oil is hydrogenated.
Mayo is often not hydrogenated, because it gets its thickness from emulsion, not hydrogenation. (Emulsion is forcing an oil to meld with water.)

Since you've read the mayo thread, you know how easy it is to make mayo.
All you need is a stick blender or a regular blender. I prefer the stick blender because clean up is easier and also because you can make a smaller batch--I have a big blender and my mayos often fail in it because the batch isn't big enough. I bought my stick blender for 12 bucks at one of those close-out stores.

And let me add--- here's how to clean a stick blender:
Finish your recipe and put it in a good container. Fill your blender cup halfway with soapy water. Put the stick blender in and whirl whirl whirl. Dump out the water and either repeat or rinse. Presto-- your cup and your stick blender are cleaned and rinsed.

Last edited by emel; 07-29-2013 at 07:25 PM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinglessofme View Post
Okay, so I eat mayo with soybean oil, this is my only consumption of soybean oil.

As I understand it, soybean oil is supposed to be unhealthy because of the transfat, the risk of causing diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc and the alleged issues with Soy itself. The mayo I use is to contain no transfat. So ,I'm assuming I'm okay on the transfat side, but what is the issue with soy? Here's my other questions (1) is all soybean partially hydrogenated (2) does the label, in the US, have to read "partially hydrogenated soybean oil"?

Thanks
As emel says, if it is hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated the label will say so. Soybean oil is bad because of the fatty acid composition. It (along with corn oil, safflower oil*, and sunflower oil*) contains over 50% polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). Some people tout PUFAs as healthy, but from what I have read they tend to increase inflammation in the body, plus they tend to be high in omega-6 fatty acids (which are necessary, but most people get way too many of them compared to omega-3 fatty acids). It is also a highly refined oil and has to go through a lot of processing to make it edible. Also soy is almost always GMO and it contains phytoestrogens - which some people may wish to avoid.

Sigh, I really need to give up my Hellman's mayo (which is made with soybean oil).

*Note: High oleic sunflower or high oleic safflower oils have better fatty acid compositions.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 07-29-2013 at 07:55 PM..
Old 07-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
As emel says, if it is hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated the label will say so. Soybean oil is bad because of the fatty acid composition. It (along with corn oil, safflower oil*, and sunflower oil*) contains over 50% polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). Some people tout PUFAs as healthy, but from what I have read they tend to increase inflammation in the body, plus they tend to be high in omega-6 fatty acids (which are necessary, but most people get way too many of them compared to omega-3 fatty acids). It is also a highly refined oil and has to go through a lot of processing to make it edible. Also soy is almost always GMO and it contains phytoestrogens - which some people may wish to avoid.

Sigh, I really need to give up my Hellman's mayo (which is made with soybean oil).

*Note: High oleic sunflower or high oleic safflower oils have better fatty acid compositions.

yes forgot about the dreaded Hellmans mayo which I use daily, I am going to have to learn to make the homemade kind, , I have a stick blender---I have heard that some use bacon grease for the oil, that sounds good, bacon mayo---
Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
I think that if it's hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated, the label has to say so.

Not all soybean oil is hydrogenated.
Mayo is often not hydrogenated, because it gets its thickness from emulsion, not hydrogenation. (Emulsion is forcing an oil to meld with water.)

Since you've read the mayo thread, you know how easy it is to make mayo.
All you need is a stick blender or a regular blender. I prefer the stick blender because clean up is easier and also because you can make a smaller batch--I have a big blender and my mayos often fail in it because the batch isn't big enough. I bought my stick blender for 12 bucks at one of those close-out stores.

And let me add--- here's how to clean a stick blender:
Finish your recipe and put it in a good container. Fill your blender cup halfway with soapy water. Put the stick blender in and whirl whirl whirl. Dump out the water and either repeat or rinse. Presto-- your cup and your stick blender are cleaned and rinsed.
Thanks for the explanation and tip on the stick blender!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post

Thank you for your explanation as well. Make that a double sigh for me. I too eat Hellman's, on practically all meats and a lot of it. I go through a 48 oz jar every 3 weeks so. This information on soybean oil has me a bit concerned. I recently has my cholesterol measured, all my numbers are within healthy range now, I'll have to keep an eye out to see if my negatively decrease/increase in the future.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinglessofme View Post
Thank you for your explanation as well. Make that a double sigh for me. I too eat Hellman's, on practically all meats and a lot of it. I go through a 48 oz jar every 3 weeks so. This information on soybean oil has me a bit concerned. I recently has my cholesterol measured, all my numbers are within healthy range now, I'll have to keep an eye out to see if my negatively decrease/increase in the future.
It's not the cholesterol---- it's the hormonal effect. Phytoestrogens mimic estrogen. There is some evidence that they can promote tumor growth in women.

IMO the mainstream advocacy of soy for cholesterol control and for easing of menopause symptoms is hooey--- the latter for all and the former for low carbers. For the muggles, if they won't limit carbs, they have to limit all fats, including soy-based mayo.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yes and to think years ago we were told soy was healthy along with those crappy margarines--
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Quote:
yes and to think years ago we were told soy was healthy along with those crappy margarines--
A travesty and a tragedy. There are still people who believe this, too.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: exotec
Stats: 380/216/130
WOE: Primal lo-carb
Start Date: Sept 2007 :-(
Ditto HOT POTATO's list.
I love coconut oil - not just for cooking!
I use a lot of bacon renderings, too.
You can use olive oil for cooking; just not the EVOO. You can find "regular" olive oil if you look. It tends to get pushed around or to the back of all the other olive oils on the shelf.

And yes - make your own mayo! It's ridiculously simple, once you get the immersion blender technique down. yummy
exotec is offline   Reply With Quote