Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Diet strawberry or grape soda (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/808769-diet-strawberry-grape-soda.html)

rndiane 07-27-2013 04:40 PM

Diet strawberry or grape soda

From another thread, I would love to find a diet strawberry or grape soda. My 7yo grandson has diabetes and on the rare occasion that he drinks soda, I would like to give him something different besides root beer or cola. I can't even find diet orange in our town. We have a Safeway and Fred Meyers here. Is diet strawberry even available anymore?

Avy 07-27-2013 04:45 PM

I'm not sure about strawberry, but Zevia has lots of different flavours, including black cherry, orange, and the regular ones. They might have strawberry. Netrition carries them (I think, I'm Canadian and can't order anyway). I've found them in stores locally, regular chain grocery and health food stores.

Mistizoom 07-27-2013 04:54 PM

Zevia does have grape and strawberry. Diet Hansen's has kiwi strawberry.

galinva 07-27-2013 05:01 PM

Waist Watchers Soda

If you can find this brand it is good. Made with Splenda and Ace K in the following flavors:

Diet Black Cherry
Diet Black Raspberry
Diet Chocolate Fudge
Diet Citrus Frost
Diet Cola
Diet Ginger Ale
Diet Grape
Diet Grape Frost
Diet Lemon-Up
Diet Orange
Diet Orange Frost
Diet Pomegranate Frost
Diet Raspberry Ginger Ale
Diet Root Beer
Diet Tonic Water
Diet Vanilla Cream
I think it's primarily sold in the North East, but if you search you can find it online.

rubidoux 07-27-2013 05:40 PM

Diet hansen's also make a great diet black cherry.

I LOVE the diet grape soda from those new fancy come machines. I forget what they're called but if you google it, I know you can find a map to see if there's one near you. Here, all of the Five Guys have them and some of the Von's.

ETA: Sorry to hear about the little guy's diabetes. No fun!

rndiane 07-27-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16533624)

I LOVE the diet grape soda from those new fancy come machines. I forget what they're called but if you google it, I know you can find a map to see if there's one near you. Here, all of the Five Guys have them and some of the Von's.

Thanks, we have lived with type 1 diabetes for a long time. Our son was diagnosed when he was 17 and now his son has it and diagnosed when he was 4 . My son has a very good handle on the situation. I know on occasion, he would like to have a diet soda that is different. Like I said, it would be very occasional only because the parents want him to eat a healthy diet without soda.

Natalia 07-27-2013 06:22 PM

Mdiane- did you read upthread??
That post was there because I recreated diet grape crush with diet grape crush squeeze plus diet club soda. Diet 7up works too.
For strawberry, try strawberry koolaid squeeze plus the club soda.

Zevia is totally nasty and has no flavor.

rndiane 07-27-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalia (Post 16533662)
That post was there because I recreated diet grape crush with diet grape crush squeeze plus diet club soda. Diet 7up works too.

I didn't but I will look....thank you!

lterry913 07-27-2013 06:26 PM

Do your grocers carry the sugar free sparkling waters? They have them here sweetened with splenda at Kroger and the others are sweetened with aspartame...they have all fruit flavors and are colorless which I really like. Hope you find something.

rubidoux 07-27-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16533624)

Oops, that was supposed to say "fancy coke machines", darned phone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rndiane (Post 16533661)
Thanks, we have lived with type 1 diabetes for a long time. Our son was diagnosed when he was 17 and now his son has it and diagnosed when he was 4 . My son has a very good handle on the situation. I know on occasion, he would like to have a diet soda that is different. Like I said, it would be very occasional only because the parents want him to eat a healthy diet without soda.

Oh man, that's a lot of diabetes to take care of. I am always hoping that my kids will at least make it to be as old as I was at dx, which was 23. They used to say that if your child got it, that they'd get it at near the same age you were when you got it, but apparently they've decided they were wrong on that one.

ravenrose 07-27-2013 07:59 PM

keep your eyes open for Shasta. it is sweetened with Splenda, not aspartame!

I like orange, black cherry, grapefruit, lemonlime, rootbeer

jmc305 07-28-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalia (Post 16533662)

That was my suggestion as well. I recommend Mio strawberry watermelon and ESPECIALLY orange crush squirted into some carbonated water.

And as for your comment about the Zevia- might I add it is quite expensive and has no flavor and is gross. I much prefer to make my own "sodas."

Natalia 07-28-2013 07:43 PM

Jmc
You probably already realized this, but I found that pouring about an inch of club soda, then the crush flavor, then the rest of the club soda, it blends and holds the bubbles, whereas if you fill the glass and then add the flavour, it seems to largely fizzle out the bubbles on contact.

jmc305 07-28-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalia (Post 16534964)
Jmc
You probably already realized this, but I found that pouring about an inch of club soda, then the crush flavor, then the rest of the club soda, it blends and holds the bubbles, whereas if you fill the glass and then add the flavour, it seems to largely fizzle out the bubbles on contact.

You are right, it does fizzle out the bubbles. I usually squirt the Crush as I pour the club soda. ;) I think it's better than cans or bottles because I can control how strong it is.