Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   does Fruit STALL us??? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/808760-does-fruit-stall-us.html)

Booo 07-27-2013 07:59 AM

does Fruit STALL us???

last week I lost 5lbs... and it was my 1st Week back on LC... but This Week I ate a Bowl of Mixed Fruit at Work and I didn't lose ONE lb... :( it was just 1 Small Bowl of cut up fresh fruit... does Fruit make YOU stall???

finallylosing 07-27-2013 08:12 AM

I find fruit definitely makes my sugars go up and if my sugars are up, I'm not losing. If I eat any fruit at all its berries. Blueberries have the least impact on my sugars, bananas the worst.

buttoni 07-27-2013 08:19 AM

Not only stalls me; makes me actually gain (all but berries that is). Tread carefully there.

cfine 07-27-2013 08:22 AM

I eat strawberries on a rare occasion, but that's it. It's not worth it while trying to lose.

snowmop 07-27-2013 08:28 AM

For me, YES.

Spanilingo 07-27-2013 08:30 AM

No problem with any fruit (even pineapple and watermelon) EXCEPT that strawberries make me really hungry.

nolcjunk 07-27-2013 08:35 AM

I don't think there is an "us" when it comes to fruit. Very individual. I can eat fruit with no problem. I had fruit during weight loss and continued losing - but I was mindful of my portions. Now in maintenance I sometimes have all fruit/veg days when my favorites are in season.

Trigger828 07-27-2013 08:54 AM

Yup very individual. berries etc. are fine for me along with melons.
fruit doesn't stall me. but I am also careful on portion control etc.

Strawberry 07-27-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

last week I lost 5lbs... and it was my 1st Week back on LC
Ummm, you probably lost 5 lbs because during the first several days of going low carb you lose a lot of water weight as you lose glycogen stores. Weight loss then is expected to slow down after that.

Although I personally wouldn't recommend eating fruit during the first few weeks of going lowcarb, I highly doubt that one small bowl if fruit is the main reason why your weight loss is slowed this week, I think it was going to slow down anyways ( you probably aren't going to drop 5 lbs a week each week .... More like zero -3 lbs a week, average 1-2lbs/wk)

vixendrop 07-27-2013 11:53 AM

Fruit makes me gain. The only exception I've found for me are berries. And only if I eat very very few.

thatphdguy 07-27-2013 12:51 PM

Love, love fruit
But I stay away from it...

verbqueen 07-27-2013 01:27 PM

Definitely stalls me, and also causes big appetite surge.

Leo41 07-27-2013 01:48 PM

I think it's all a matter of how carb sensitive you are, and that's something that each individual has to determine.

I happen to be extremely carb sensitive, so that if I eat fruit, I might as well be eating a candy bar--immediate appetite surge.

So fruit is among the things I cannot eat, but there are so many other things that I can eat and enjoy that I don't dwell on it.

Key Tones 07-27-2013 02:26 PM

I have been looking into everything since nothing seemed to work anymore for me. I even tried Mcdougall's lowfat vegan diet (it didn't work - I just got cold and tired). What I thought was weird is that even he said to limit fruit to lose weight.

Now I'm reading up on food reward and finding that it seems to be a survival mechanism. So, we are apparently hard-wired to eat up on fruit we find rewarding. Your body will make you hungrier when you find it. That is what it means to increase your fat set point.

So if you eat the fruit, your body wants you to gorge on it. Even if you don't, your appetite will be ramped up and you will just eat more of other foods.

I am finally giving up sweetener for this reason.

clackley 07-27-2013 04:54 PM

Fruit creates hunger for me. I can handle a very few berries and the non sweet fruit (like avocado) but that is about it.

slowknight 07-27-2013 05:48 PM

Ive eaten 1/2 cup blueberries and 10 cherries a day for last 8 weeks and it has not slowed my loss at all.

MaryMary 07-27-2013 08:02 PM

I have eaten a piece of fruit every morning with my breakfast protein every morning for the last 10 years and continued losing until I reached maintenance. I lost slowly but I wasn't in a race.

Today I am down 225 lbs since 2001 with no WLS.

handbells 07-28-2013 07:43 AM

I have no problems with fruit, thank goodness!

Biochic 07-28-2013 07:45 AM

I eat berries of all kinds whenever I want them. No problems...

exotec 07-28-2013 03:02 PM

Oh yeah. And the ones I love are the worst ones. I love melons and apples and pears and bananas... all the stuff loaded with sugar! Of course, I love berries, too... but this is a really hard time of year for me because all the melons are being harvested, and I'm nearly helpless to resist!

nolcjunk 07-28-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exotec (Post 16534617)
Oh yeah. And the ones I love are the worst ones. I love melons and apples and pears and bananas... all the stuff loaded with sugar! Of course, I love berries, too... but this is a really hard time of year for me because all the melons are being harvested, and I'm nearly helpless to resist!

I don't think apples are too bad. A small green one has about 20 grams of carbs.

Aomiel 07-28-2013 03:41 PM

Yep...not only stalls me, but I can gain *and* my blood glucose numbers go up. Even on the 'lower carb' berries.