Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   best low sugar peanut butter (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/808746-best-low-sugar-peanut-butter.html)

frank 07-26-2013 04:44 PM

best low sugar peanut butter

Hello friends......can ya'll please recommend a low sugar peanut butter ... Thaks Frank :)

Mistizoom 07-26-2013 04:50 PM

I buy ones that are in the refridgerated "health market" section of my grocery store, either Old Home or Parker's. I like them already refridgerated becuase the oil is already stirred in. You do have to store the in the fridge. Though probably the best in terms of health are ones made from Valencia peanuts, like Arrowhead Mills, as Valencia peanuts tend to be less likely to be contaminated by aflatoxin.

verbqueen 07-26-2013 04:50 PM

I think the best way to get no sugar is to go to the natural foods store--Sprouts or Whole Foods or something like them, and get the store-made stuff. It contains only peanuts.

I happened to see a new one today (new to me, at least.) It seems to be made by the Smuckers company, but it's called Adam's. They had both stir and no-stir versions. Ingredients: peanuts, salt.

Now, I haven't opened it yet, so can't tell you about the taste. Peanut butter is like a drug for me, so we'll see how I do having it in the house with me!

Arctic_Mama 07-26-2013 05:44 PM

I just buy Adam's or you can blend some up at the supermarket in their grinding machine (they offer peanut and cashew). No sugar, no additives. Peanuts and salt.

DiamondDeb 07-26-2013 05:49 PM

Smucker's Organic Peanut Butter. No sugar added at all.

Ntombi 07-26-2013 06:11 PM

My stepmom likes Whole Foods' PB best. Nothing but peanuts and salt.

cinglessofme 07-26-2013 06:20 PM

I second Mitzoom choices of Parkers or Old Home. I prefer the Parker's but cant find it any longer in my area. I like these brands because the are smooth and creamy. I didnt like the Smuckers because it has a crumbly texture.

Avy 07-26-2013 07:20 PM

I buy one at costco, the only ingredient is peanuts.

makrida 07-26-2013 07:35 PM

I Love the Publix own brand All natural Creamy...just peanuts and salt

August Moon 07-27-2013 02:59 AM

My most recent PB purchase was Kirkland from Costco/ 2pk jars. Ingredients: Valencia peanuts, sea salt.

Biochic 07-27-2013 05:16 AM

I use sunbutter( made from sunflower seeds). It is delish!

MaryMary 07-27-2013 05:27 AM

I use I'm Healthy unsweetened soynut butter. Higher protein, no sugars

jmc305 07-27-2013 09:41 AM

Peanuts (your choice) 1 tbsp peanut oil, EZ sweetz or stevia to taste. Whirl it up in a food processor and store in the fridge. I don't shop at fancy stores and I don't like any of the brands I've come across in my neck of the woods. So I just make my own. :)

DiamondDeb 07-27-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinglessofme (Post 16532748)
I second Mitzoom choices of Parkers or Old Home. I prefer the Parker's but cant find it any longer in my area. I like these brands because the are smooth and creamy. I didnt like the Smuckers because it has a crumbly texture.

I admit mixing the oil well in the Smucker's was always a challenge! :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by makrida (Post 16532822)
I Love the Publix own brand All natural Creamy...just peanuts and salt

I would definitely buy this if I still ate peanut butter. Same ingredients as Smucker's. I never saw it at Publix when I used to buy PB.

jennbeingme 07-27-2013 12:36 PM

You can also get PB2... a peanut butter powder that people seem to swear by.....

Eliza_Jazz 07-27-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August Moon (Post 16532951)
My most recent PB purchase was Kirkland from Costco/ 2pk jars. Ingredients: Valencia peanuts, sea salt.

Wow, I didn't know it was additive-free. I should get some next time I go to Costco.

Thanks so much for letting us know. What is the cost of the 2-pack?

Eliza_Jazz 07-27-2013 02:07 PM

Has anyone tried Costco's Betty Lou's™ Just Great Stuff Organic Powdered Peanut Butter? I just saw it online but couldn't find the ingredients list. It has 5 total carbs per 2 -tbsp serving and 1 gr of carbs in fiber, so 4 net carbs per serving (pretty much the same as Smucker's organic)

Quote:

Includes:

Organic Powdered Peanut Butter
12 Jars – 6.35 oz. each
Just add water
Each 6.35 oz. jar makes 8.55 oz. of Peanut Butter
15 Total Servings per jar
1.5 grams of fat per serving
Sweetened with coconut sugar
All Natural
Non-GMO
USDA certified organic
Kosher – OU certified

Mistizoom 07-27-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennbeingme (Post 16533384)
You can also get PB2... a peanut butter powder that people seem to swear by.....

PB2 has added sugar, unfortunately.

Avy 07-27-2013 02:58 PM

I'm in Canada, and it is about $9.50 for 2 x 1kg jars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz (Post 16533449)
Wow, I didn't know it was additive-free. I should get some next time I go to Costco.

Thanks so much for letting us know. What is the cost of the 2-pack?

frank 07-27-2013 03:04 PM

Thanks to everyone for the reply's....they are greatly appreciated.... Frank

MandyDawn 07-27-2013 03:06 PM

I just buy Smucker's creamy peanut butter. It is kind of a pain to have to stir, stir and stir to get all the oil mixed in, but I refrigerate it after that. It's not creamy like Jif, but I don't mind the texture. I love peanut butter

avid 07-27-2013 03:32 PM

Smuckers natural has two ingrediants. Peanuts and salt.
Because it's not processed with vegetable oils it will separate.
This is fine by me. I pour off the exess oil and add a littel evoo to keep things moist.
Works very well, tastes great, and is healthy.
I love to experiment with different ways to enhance my peanut butter.
This week I'm adding curry powder and tahini...gives it a nice zing.

Janknitz 07-27-2013 04:01 PM

Here's a truck to stir the oil into natural nut butters:

Store the jar UPSIDE DOWN for a few days before opening. The oil will work it's way though the nut butter and be on the bottom of the jar when you turn it right side up again to open it, so it won't slosh around. And since its made its way through the nut butter, it's much easier to stir in (I use a regular silverware knife to stir).

Store the mixed up nut butter in the fridge to keep the oil mixed in. At room temp the oil will rise back to the top.

JMacB 07-27-2013 06:07 PM

Related to this conversation: I think that the chunky natural pb tastes more like regular pb than the creamy version. And when I buy a jar, I open it and stick a table knife in it about 10 times, then close it up and turn it upside down for a few days. Makes it easier to mix, as Janknitz above said. And then I store it in the fridge.

cinglessofme 07-28-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16533288)
I admit mixing the oil well in the Smucker's was always a challenge.

That was precisely my issue. Mixing the Smucker's was next to impossible once it was refrigerated.

cinglessofme 07-28-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janknitz (Post 16533546)
Here's a truck to stir the oil into natural nut butters:

Store the jar UPSIDE DOWN for a few days before opening. The oil will work it's way though the nut butter and be on the bottom of the jar when you turn it right side up again to open it, so it won't slosh around. And since its made its way through the nut butter, it's much easier to stir in (I use a regular silverware knife to stir).

Store the mixed up nut butter in the fridge to keep the oil mixed in. At room temp the oil will rise back to the top.

Great tip, Thanks I will keep this in mind in case I have to buy Smucker's again.

cinglessofme 07-28-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16533522)
Smuckers natural has two ingrediants. Peanuts and salt.
Because it's not processed with vegetable oils it will separate.

The Parkers is two ingredients as well and it does not seperate like the smuckers. Any idea why? Maybe the packaging? Glass jar vs plastic tub.

Mistizoom 07-28-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinglessofme (Post 16534696)
The Parkers is two ingredients as well and it does not seperate like the smuckers. Any idea why? Maybe the packaging? Glass jar vs plastic tub.

It's because it is already stirred up by an industrial mixer then refridgerated. Smucker's and similar will not separate (much) if you refridgerate them after opening and stirring - but might a little because I doubt you arm has the strength of an industrial mixer. ;) Last time I bought some almond butter off the shelf and had to stir it myself it was like a 20 minute project. I would rather buy the stuff with the oil already stirred in, like Parker's or Old Home, and save myself the time and effort.

That said, I just ordered some of Justin's Nut Butter Classic Peanut Butter from Netrition to send to my mother's house where I'll be for two weeks. I have some of their almond butter and it's good. It is shelf stable and does not separate, so I assume the peanut butter is the same. It does have added palm fruit oil. Ingredients: Dry roasted peanuts, palm fruit oil*,*Sustainably sourced palm fruit oil.

Garlic 07-28-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biochic (Post 16532983)
I use sunbutter( made from sunflower seeds). It is delish!

Me too! And I love PB, but sunbutter ROCKS! But it really strains my food processor while making it!

DiamondDeb 07-28-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinglessofme (Post 16534679)
That was precisely my issue. Mixing the Smucker's was next to impossible once it was refrigerated.

I never refrigerated it.