Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeebear57
Stats: 214/192/136
WOE: LC/JUUDD
Start Date: restart 10/1/2013
I went to Smuckers website and bought their peanut butter stirrer,like an old fashion crank..Best thing in a long time as i have limited strength...LOVE it and no problem for me to use
coffeebear57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
It's because it is already stirred up by an industrial mixer then refridgerated. Smucker's and similar will not separate (much) if you refridgerate them after opening and stirring - but might a little because I doubt you arm has the strength of an industrial mixer. Last time I bought some almond butter off the shelf and had to stir it myself it was like a 20 minute project. I would rather buy the stuff with the oil already stirred in, like Parker's or Old Home, and save myself the time and effort.

That said, I just ordered some of Justin's Nut Butter Classic Peanut Butter from Netrition to send to my mother's house where I'll be for two weeks. I have some of their almond butter and it's good. It is shelf stable and does not separate, so I assume the peanut butter is the same. It does have added palm fruit oil. Ingredients: Dry roasted peanuts, palm fruit oil*,*Sustainably sourced palm fruit oil.

thanks for the explanation! I will continue to buy the Old Home and Parker's the flavor of both is better to me anyway although a hit more expensive.
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
As far as the stirring is concerned. I don't find it to be a big deal.
I often pour off the excess oil and then use the peanut butter as is.
The consistancy is soft and moist till about 3/4 way down the jar.
Then i'll add a little evoo and stir with a butter knife.
Since going organic with alot of my staples (greens, berries, meat) my food bill has really gone up. So I'm really looking at cost more closely these days.
The nut butters at the health food store are alot more expensive than the smuckers at Walmart.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebear57 View Post
I went to Smuckers website and bought their peanut butter stirrer,like an old fashion crank..Best thing in a long time as i have limited strength...LOVE it and no problem for me to use
Is it hard to clean?
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
Maranatha, and Arrowhead Mills make sugar-free nut butters, including peanut. You can get them organic or not, but beware of the 'no stir' variety, as they add sugar to those.

I have seen the Maranatha in grocery stores like Publix (in Florida) and even WalMart, but if you can't find them there, a health food store is bound to carry them and other brands.

BObby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #36
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
The least expensive place for me has been Costco for peanut butter and almond butter. I have found tahini at Superstore in the ethnic isle really cheap too. I'm in Canada though.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Is it hard to clean?
I looked them up online and there are a few brands at Amazon. Read the reviews. Also, the different peanut butter companies have their own.

I just use a butter knife then refrigerate it. It pretty much stays mixed up. If that changes near the bottom of the jar, I just remix. I'll have to try the upside down thing. I have a new one that needs stirring before we open it.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Am I the only one who just drains off the excess oil?
Like I said, the pb is pretty moist till the jar gets low, then I add a little evoo
mix with a butter knife and finish it off.....I'm considering buying pb by the case because I go through alot.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
If I used peanut butter, I would drain off the oil and replace it with olive oil or I'd mix it with tahini for the sesame oil.

But I use almond butter, so I just store it upside down, refrigerated, and stir it up.
I don't like the idea of not refrigerating a nut product because the older nuts get, the worse they are for us.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
i use "pc blue menu just peanuts peanut butter". it's a Superstore brand. it has no additives. not even salt. i drain off the excess oil and save it to add to the last 1/3 as it tends to get dry towards the end of the jar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Like I said, the pb is pretty moist till the jar gets low, then I add a little evoo
mix with a butter knife and finish it off.....I'm considering buying pb by the case because I go through alot.
no you are not. i do too but i save it to add to the jar later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
If I used peanut butter, I would drain off the oil and replace it with olive oil or I'd mix it with tahini for the sesame oil.

But I use almond butter, so I just store it upside down, refrigerated, and stir it up.
I don't like the idea of not refrigerating a nut product because the older nuts get, the worse they are for us.
why?
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #41

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I like Trader Joe's. If I don't get there then I buy Smuckers. Both have no sugar.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

I love almond butter, especially raw almond butter.

And I do not drain the oil off either PB or AB.

I open a jar, stir a while, let it sit, come back later stir some more, let it sit, come back later and finish (it seems to less actual stirs if you let it rest in between stirs). Then I put it in the refrigerator.

I believe the peanut oil and almond oil are good for you.

Bobby
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #43

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by margame View Post
i use "pc blue menu just peanuts peanut butter". it's a Superstore brand. it has no additives. not even salt. i drain off the excess oil and save it to add to the last 1/3 as it tends to get dry towards the end of the jar.

no you are not. i do too but i save it to add to the jar later.

why?
Because I don't think peanut oil is the best oil. I think a lot of peanut butter brands use cheaper, older, damaged peanuts, and the older/more inferior the state of the peanut, the worse the oil that comes from it.

That being said, I'll buy peanut oil to fry in very occasionally, when I'm having a big fish fry or something, because it is more cost-effective and crowd-pleasing. But I won't let it sit around because rancid nut oils are not good for us and they degrade before they get rancid-smelling.

It's okay if you think I'm a whackjob. You're probably right.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
Because I don't think peanut oil is the best oil. I think a lot of peanut butter brands use cheaper, older, damaged peanuts, and the older/more inferior the state of the peanut, the worse the oil that comes from it.

That being said, I'll buy peanut oil to fry in very occasionally, when I'm having a big fish fry or something, because it is more cost-effective and crowd-pleasing. But I won't let it sit around because rancid nut oils are not good for us and they degrade before they get rancid-smelling.

It's okay if you think I'm a whackjob. You're probably right.
ahh, i see.

have you checked into the olive oil conspiracy? there are claims that most evoo is fake.

Quote:
Did you know that the Mob makes money hand over fist by selling you fake olive oil? Olive oil is a $1.5 billion industry in the United States alone. According to Tom Mueller, an intrepid journalist who wrote a scandalously revealing book on the subject, 70% of the extra virgin olive oil sold is adulterated — cut with cheaper oils. Apparently, the mob’s been at it so long, that even most so-called “experts” can’t tell a real olive oil from a fake olive oil based on taste alone.

If you were a producer of one of these fake oils, 2008 was a bad year for you. That’s the year that more than 400 Italian police officers conducted a lengthy investigation dubbed “Operation Golden Oil” which led to the arrest of 23 people and the confiscation of 85 farms. It was quickly followed up by another investigation in which more than 40 additional people were arrested for for adding chlorophyll to sunflower and soybean oil and selling it as extra virgin olive oil, both in Italy and abroad.

The prevalence of these and other similar raids actually prompted the Australian government’s standards agency to allow olive oil brands to voluntarily submit their oils for lab tests. These authentication tests allow oils to be certified pure “extra-virgin olive oil.” Thus far in 2012, every imported brand of extra-virgin olive oil has failed the test to gain certification!
(emphasis is mine)

this is from "foodrenegade" .com

but then, you can only believe 1/2 of what you read anyways.
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I drain off the oil, stir it up with a butter knife or tablespoon, then put it upside down in the fridge.
makrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Nut oils are primarily omega 6, and easily subject to becoming oxidized. That's why refrigeration is a good idea after opening.

I love peanut butter, but I've given it up for peo because it is a legume, not a nut, and may have phytates and aflatoxins.

Fortunately, almond butter is a great substitute, and I occasionally make my own sun butter, too.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

I like almond butter too, and cashew butter, but peanut butter has it's own health benefits too. I only do organic PB though.

B
Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #48
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/234/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I love Sunbutter (sunflower seed butter).
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #49
Random WIT

Gallery: stews
Stats: 240/206.4/135
Start Date: August 1, 2012
I like the one at costco, also
stews is offline   Reply With Quote