LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Excessive Fluid and Reduction of Ketosis

OK. So get this--- first I ever heard. So my brother was making fun of me and my supplements. He is a physician not a nutritionist and totally thinks I way over supplement even for a ketogenic diet (though admittedly he is no expert but understands it and like most doctors today completely supports LC).

Anyway, I went to go drink some water and he teasingly laughed at me and said "better watch your KETOSIS". Anyway, he said that too much liquid can knock you out of ketosis (at least for little kids-- at least he thinks he remembers something vaguely like that from his ped rotation). i said "no way" gotta drink a lot of water! He said...depends on your goals."

Never heard of that. Too much water can knock you out of ketosis?

Anyone?

Last edited by Spanilingo; 07-26-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
I think they mean too much water will make ketostix not show being in ketosis. As I have been told, ketostix read excess ketones, and with a lot of water your excess ketones are being flushed away. It is like dilution.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Yeah...maybe he misunderstood...or other people 'said' they were knocked out of ketosis from drinking too much water because their ketostix were no longer turning purple.

Drinking too much water will not knock you out of ketosis. While losing weight I was drinking 64 fl oz of water *plus* another 8 fl oz for every 25 pounds I was overweight (forgot where I read that was a good thing). It did not knock me out of ketosis, but just the 64fl oz alone will cause the ketostix to show no purple at all because the ketones were so diluted.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Something to do with the benefits of ketones themselves . Rats - ill have to get more clarification.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
I think they mean too much water will make ketostix not show being in ketosis. As I have been told, ketostix read excess ketones, and with a lot of water your excess ketones are being flushed away. It is like dilution.
Right, but that has nothing to do with your actual level of ketosis. The ketosis you excrete (through breath, sweat, and urine) are already not being used.

There is absolutely no truth to the claim that too much water can knock one out of ketosis.

It is true that too much water can deplete your sodium and potassium, which is a completely different thing. But that's one of the reasons people need to be careful not to limit salt and other sources of sodium and potassium when on a ketogenic diet.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
He is thinking about ketosis used in pediatric patients with epilepsy. Some doctors believe the higher ketones provide better assurance against seizures. Usually though, after the initial fasting period, liquids aren't restricted bc of increased risk of kidney stones.

This has nothing to do with adults losing weight on ketosis!

Sometimes a little information is a dangerous thing. Doc needs to refresh his memory before giving misleading info.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
He is thinking about ketosis used in pediatric patients with epilepsy. Some doctors believe the higher ketones provide better assurance against seizures. Usually though, after the initial fasting period, liquids aren't restricted bc of increased risk of kidney stones.

This has nothing to do with adults losing weight on ketosis!

Sometimes a little information is a dangerous thing. Doc needs to refresh his memory before giving misleading info.
This was exactly what he meant. And he wasnt giving me any information as he doesnt treat pediatric epilepsy let alone pediatrics at all but works TRAUMA. He also isnt treating me, but teasing his sister (me) about my supplements. And you are right, in the general pediatric rotation he did about 15 yrs ago he recalls this bit of information.