Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Excessive Fluid and Reduction of Ketosis (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/808734-excessive-fluid-reduction-ketosis.html)

Spanilingo 07-26-2013 12:52 PM

Excessive Fluid and Reduction of Ketosis

OK. So get this--- first I ever heard. So my brother was making fun of me and my supplements. He is a physician not a nutritionist and totally thinks I way over supplement even for a ketogenic diet (though admittedly he is no expert but understands it and like most doctors today completely supports LC).

Anyway, I went to go drink some water and he teasingly laughed at me and said "better watch your KETOSIS". Anyway, he said that too much liquid can knock you out of ketosis (at least for little kids-- at least he thinks he remembers something vaguely like that from his ped rotation). i said "no way" gotta drink a lot of water! He said...depends on your goals."

Never heard of that. Too much water can knock you out of ketosis?

Anyone?

Garlic 07-26-2013 12:56 PM

I think they mean too much water will make ketostix not show being in ketosis. As I have been told, ketostix read excess ketones, and with a lot of water your excess ketones are being flushed away. It is like dilution.

Aomiel 07-26-2013 01:02 PM

Yeah...maybe he misunderstood...or other people 'said' they were knocked out of ketosis from drinking too much water because their ketostix were no longer turning purple.

Drinking too much water will not knock you out of ketosis. While losing weight I was drinking 64 fl oz of water *plus* another 8 fl oz for every 25 pounds I was overweight (forgot where I read that was a good thing). It did not knock me out of ketosis, but just the 64fl oz alone will cause the ketostix to show no purple at all because the ketones were so diluted.

Spanilingo 07-26-2013 02:13 PM

Something to do with the benefits of ketones themselves . Rats - ill have to get more clarification.

Ntombi 07-26-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlic (Post 16532409)
I think they mean too much water will make ketostix not show being in ketosis. As I have been told, ketostix read excess ketones, and with a lot of water your excess ketones are being flushed away. It is like dilution.

Right, but that has nothing to do with your actual level of ketosis. The ketosis you excrete (through breath, sweat, and urine) are already not being used.

There is absolutely no truth to the claim that too much water can knock one out of ketosis.

It is true that too much water can deplete your sodium and potassium, which is a completely different thing. But that's one of the reasons people need to be careful not to limit salt and other sources of sodium and potassium when on a ketogenic diet.

Natalia 07-27-2013 06:46 AM

He is thinking about ketosis used in pediatric patients with epilepsy. Some doctors believe the higher ketones provide better assurance against seizures. Usually though, after the initial fasting period, liquids aren't restricted bc of increased risk of kidney stones.

This has nothing to do with adults losing weight on ketosis!

Sometimes a little information is a dangerous thing. Doc needs to refresh his memory before giving misleading info.

Spanilingo 07-27-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalia (Post 16533069)
He is thinking about ketosis used in pediatric patients with epilepsy. Some doctors believe the higher ketones provide better assurance against seizures. Usually though, after the initial fasting period, liquids aren't restricted bc of increased risk of kidney stones.

This has nothing to do with adults losing weight on ketosis!

Sometimes a little information is a dangerous thing. Doc needs to refresh his memory before giving misleading info.

This was exactly what he meant. And he wasnt giving me any information as he doesnt treat pediatric epilepsy let alone pediatrics at all but works TRAUMA. He also isnt treating me, but teasing his sister (me) about my supplements. And you are right, in the general pediatric rotation he did about 15 yrs ago he recalls this bit of information.