LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetSugaree
Stats: 250/207/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: RESTART- 5/13/13
Vixendrop,
I am in the same boat. I AM BROKE. Someone mentioned it above, and my plan is EGGS! I live about 10 miles from an egg farm and one dozen large eggs are $1.25, farm fresh and delicious.
It sucks being broke, but I don't want to go off plan. I am just going to have to suck it up and eat eggs with frozen veggies, 99 cents a bag at Walmart, I don't get paid till next friday....
Good Luck, I hope you can work out your situation. Times are tough and food prices keep rising. :/

Mini Goals
Goal #1
Reach 230 LBS- Goal Achieved 6/7/13
Goal#2
Reach 220 LBS- Goal Achieved 7/1/13
Goal #3
Reach ONEderland-
SweetSugaree is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Hmm, about those eggs. Quiches and Frittatas! They make 6 servings and they're Filling! Linda's low carb site has Tons of recipes.

Have a 99 cent store or Dollar Tree or similar store around? A 99 cent store just opened up around here a few months ago and they have fresh fruits and vegetables. I loved getting a cauliflower for 99 cents a month or so ago.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mysstwalker
Stats: 501/170/140
WOE: Banded RNY - high protein/mid-level carbs baby!
Start Date: Silastic ring RNY - 1/30/08
Dollar Tree has a lot of groceries, frozen and fridge stuff too. Check out your sav a lot also, they have ground chicken frozen for 99 cents a chin, usually on Fridays they have hot dogs for 50 cents a package, 99 cents regular price. A large bag of chicken leg quarters, 10 lbs, super cheap and can do a lot with them to stretch.
Mysstwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
If you can fit it in a bottle of sunflower oil .The fat will make you feel full up.
Additionally I don't know why you shop in WM .If you are going to collect the cupons and WM is far from where you collect them you might as well redeem them at the store that hands them out and use the saving on gas for another dozen eggs.Unless of course the stuff they dont sell on discount is way more expensive.
Good luck. If I was near I would give you a hand.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Hope you are doing ok.... I feel for you.

There are a couple of ways to get through a time like this... One would be just to make the food you can afford for your family and just watch your portion sizes. People can lose weight on a calorie restricted diet, so it's not the end of the world to have to do that for one week.

Another thing would be to find some odd jobs to bring in a little extra money this week. Eg, fiancé mows the lawn for neighbors for 20 bucks or you watch some friends kids for a day to bring in a little extra cash. There is no reason the kids can't be involved in bringing in some extra cash for the family too. Or hold a garage sale, sell on craigslist, or pawn something. An extra 25 bucks would make a large difference for you at this point.

If you are determined to stay low carb, a number of people on here do alternate day fasting, on the "fasting day" they will skip breakfast and lunch and then have a low carb dinner. That would reduce your personal food costs for the week.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
yeah, I would sell some stuff and maybe return some things to the store if you still have receipts ??
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Lady
WOE: Low carb
Going by Brookshire's average prices of store brand items. I always use the sales paper to make my lists. Here's a few ideas:

5 lb. chub ground chuck............................................. ..............15.00
pork roast, chops, chicken or whatever's on sale...........................8.00
chunk of cheddar or other hard cheese.........................................3.5 0
cheese singles for burgers and such.............................................2 .50
butter............................................ ............................................3.00
breakfast sausage........................................... ............................6.00
eggs.............................................. ............................................1.90
bread............................................. ............................................1.60
hamburger buns.............................................. ............................1.50
salad dressing.......................................... ....................................2.00
lettuce........................................... ..............................................2.00
tomatoes.......................................... ............................................2.00
1 large onion............................................. ...................................1.00
__________________________________________________ _________
.................................................. .......................................... 50.00

You have pasta and spagetti sauce already, so with a little stretching here and there you could stay low carb and your family can eat too.
Texas Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vixendrop
Stats: 343/317/275
WOE: Very LC
Start Date: 07/03/2013
We do have Dollar Tree but the one near me doesn't have fresh or frozen food. They do have a couple aisles of other food, but it's honestly cheaper, or the same price, to buy at Walmart and save the gas. All the other grocery stores are all within a mile or two of Walmart so not using a lot of gas there. And what I save on the other groceries makes up for it.

As for finding odd jobs, we've tried. We don't have a mower, nor do we live in a community that has real yards (mobile home park, most people have dirt or rocks, and the few that have grass has very little). and I have literally no local friends so I can't watch their kids (my closest friend lives in Illinois). We've already sold or returned everything we could over the last few months. Everything we have now is old or broken. I'm typing this on a 2 year old laptop with a few keys missing, that I need for school anyway. So nothing to even get rid of.

It's okay though. We'll get through.
Main Goal - Not sure, probably 275 (I don't want to be thin, just healthy)
vixendrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Sure wish I lived closer---I'd be happy to share! I've had my share of lean times and know how it feels. Funny thing, one time years ago, we were about to move to a new location with a corresponding cut in pay. I actually got excited about reworking the budget to make things work. It was the challenge that I enjoyed. Granted, it's not a fun way to live, but if you look at it like a game--trying to maximize your income--the gloomies don't take over. (I haven't noticed the gloomies in your posts, just an observation from my past.)

Anyhoo--one thing that I've really enjoyed is ramen & eggs. Super cheap! (I don't use the noodles, though. They can be used for everybody else's meals--add butter/parmesan/or just extra noodles in their ramen.) I just toss the eggs in there after the seasoned water is boiling. I like to break the yoke and barely stir, so the egg is still in large chunks. My husband likes his stirred so it's more like egg drop soup. I like to add extra seasoning--whatever I have--like onion powder, cayenne pepper, garlic, etc. Liquids are filling, especially with protein in them. Just another idea....

Best wishes to you! Keep us posted, letting us know how you fare this week.
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
At our local grocery store, they promote that their ground beef is ground fresh every day. The best part about that is that the meat that was ground the day before is cleared out the next day for next to nothing. When I'm lucky enough to get there at the right time, I can often pick up the one pound packages for around $1 each. You might check with the butchers at your grocery stores and find out when they put out the marked down meat each day. It can really save you so much. What we eat each week often depends on what I find on sale that week.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I don't have any advice, and you've already gotten lots, but just wanted to say we're having a hard money week here, too. You're not alone! I was all worried for the last day or two that I wasn't going to have enough money to get my kid to camp the next week (well, it's a hard 2-week pay period for us), and then I realized that camp ends this friday. I am so relieved! But it's going to get pretty rough by next weekend.

And omg, just thought of something crazy. lol Gah! I'm actually having a party next weekend, a kid super soaker party at the park. It's potluck, so was planning on bringing nothing but a five dollar watermelon to share, but I wonder if people are going to expect me to have plates, napkins, etc.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you are in school, you might want to look into work study programs. Both me and my sister did work study programs through college. I did full time work in a lab, she did part time work tutoring and working in a computer lab (just doing whatever odd jobs they needed). It was a good way to bring in extra money and they will help you tailor your work hours around classes.

I know this advice doesn't help for this week, but it sounds like you all live very close to the edge financially, and probably need to really start focusing on how to bring in new sources of money (additional part time jobs) or cut expenses. I personally am just starting to look into Dave Ramsey's stuff (listening to him on radio). He has a lot of good tips for saving money, getting out of debt, planning for financial security. And obviously there are other sources out there.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

I have applied to 17 work study jobs at my college, got called back on 5 of them, and turned down for all 5. Before that I have applied to literally (not exaggerating) over 150 jobs in 6 months. No luck. That's why I'm back in school, so to get a degree and skills.

We do live close to the edge but it's usually not this bad. We just were unlucky that my fiance missed two days of work due to being sick (was sent home when he threw up over his work station). His job pays pretty good and he's getting a lot of overtime. And should be getting a raise in another month and a half. Plus he's starting school to increase his skills (machining), so the future looks good. We've cut all the expenses we can, including all our entertainment budget. We haven't gone to a movie or anything like that in close to a year. It's driving us crazy, but we just can't swing it, ya know? So yeah, this was just a really rough week.

Last edited by vixendrop; 07-27-2013 at 08:02 PM..
Old 07-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

ever heard of chili weenie casserole ? It's just several weenies sliced up , cheese, couple of pieces of bread cut up and a can of chili. My mom used to make it occas - you can chop onion in it too if you want. Put in casserole dish and bake about 30-40 minutes. Will feed whole family cheaply.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

I've never heard of that. My fiance does like chili dogs so I bet he'd like that too. I think I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

no problem. Still trying to think of things for y'all. Like everyone else ~ If I was closer I would be glad to help you out !
Old 07-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everyone. You're all awesome.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #48
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixendrop View Post
I have applied to 17 work study jobs at my college, got called back on 5 of them, and turned down for all 5. Before that I have applied to literally (not exaggerating) over 150 jobs in 6 months. No luck. That's why I'm back in school, so to get a degree and skills.

We do live close to the edge but it's usually not this bad. We just were unlucky that my fiance missed two days of work due to being sick (was sent home when he threw up over his work station). His job pays pretty good and he's getting a lot of overtime. And should be getting a raise in another month and a half. Plus he's starting school to increase his skills (machining), so the future looks good. We've cut all the expenses we can, including all our entertainment budget. We haven't gone to a movie or anything like that in close to a year. It's driving us crazy, but we just can't swing it, ya know? So yeah, this was just a really rough week.
I'm so sorry for what you're going through. It's scary when there is only one income-earner for a family of 5. I totally understand from personal experience. I wish you lived close by, I would gladly share.

I sincerely hope your job search works out and you get something to help with your expenses and maybe accumulate a small reserve for future emergencies like this. In this economy, other streams of income will really help.

Looking into freeganism may be helpful for the time being.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Freeganism is dumpster diving, right? I have a friend in PA who does that and she gets really awesome stuff (sealed, packaged food that hasn't expired, dvds, bouquets of flowers, craft supplies, etc). Here in CO though people have been arrested for it. So I'm a bit nervous. I've always liked the idea though. Business throw out so much stuff just because the package is dented or something. It's ridiculous.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #50
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Freeganism is dumpster diving, right? I have a friend in PA who does that and she gets really awesome stuff (sealed, packaged food that hasn't expired, dvds, bouquets of flowers, craft supplies, etc). Here in CO though people have been arrested for it. So I'm a bit nervous. I've always liked the idea though. Business throw out so much stuff just because the package is dented or something. It's ridiculous.
Yup, that's what it is... Maybe research state and municipal laws as well as grocery store regulations and see if you can legally do it in your area. Join online and local freegan groups and look for tips.

Or, offer help to restaurants in exchange for food they would otherwise dispose of at the end of the day.

Yes, it is a shame that so much good food is thrown away when so many people in this country go hungry or nearly hungry.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think people sometimes offer free food items through Freecycle. I believe the rule is that you can't post asking for food, but if you have a bunch of cans of food or a garden producing more tomatoes or squash or a chicken laying more eggs than you can eat, you can offer them
Old 07-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know what I would make with all that canned corn... Corn chowder! (It's not low carb)
Take carrots (under $1 a bag) and celery (about 1.50/stalk), onion if you want (although I remember the OP being allergic to onion) and sautée in butter. Add flour to make a roux then stir in that milk plus the yummy liquid from the cans of corn to get a thick chowder soup base. Then add potatoes and the corn and I would add a package of turkey kielbasa (usually about $2 a pack). And cook it up!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
How's going vixendrop?

Just checking on you
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
I feed a large family, too, and struggle with a budget. It's not only that it is expensive, but then the foods (cheap ones) get repetitive, too. That repetition (for me) can lead to a danger zone.

Remember that you can feed your family a different meal. I'll make spaghetti or other cheaper carby foods for the family, and something different for me. I have to. There's no way I can feed my family off the same menu as I do 24/7. We can't afford it.

Carbs are cheap - the rice, spaghetti, noodle dishes, etc. - and I HAVE to use them to stay in budget. I stretch the meals with those fillers. Remember that, and don't feel guilty about it.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #55
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Around here they have free lunches for kids in local parks during the summertime (part of the federal school lunch program). Maybe they have something like that where you are. It would take care of at least one meal for the kids.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Well we're making it through. My teenager ate an entire 5lb bag of potatoes in two days, BY HERSELF though. Not to mention 4 chicken breasts. Guess we're going to have to go back to making her ask before eating something. And here I thought since she was almost 17 she'd be responsible. Silly me!

The only free lunch program around here used to be in the club house in my neighborhood. But it's been cancelled for some reason. And we aren't on a bus line (7 miles from nearest stop) so we can't get to another.

Strawberry, I know my family would love corn chowder but I don't have any flour unfortunately.

Our local Freecycle is a joke around here. Last time I checked it there were 3 offers and over 4 PAGES of wanteds. It used to be better, but it's really gone downhill in that last couple years. Plus right now I don't have gas to get anywhere to pick anything up anyway.

Well I need to go reevaluate when my daughter left us for food.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:

Strawberry, I know my family would love corn chowder but I don't have any flour unfortunately.
You don't need any flour for chowder, actually. Just make the soup with all the ingredients you have and then once it's simmered and the veggies are soft, take out a few cups, blend it in the blender (if you don't have one you could use a whisk and/or potato masher just to smash up the potatoes and corn) put it back into the soup. It should thicken a bit from the starch in the potatoes and corn. (If you are out of potatoes, you could use rice --- also starchy and it will thicken the soup.)

In fact, at the end of the week when everything else is low, I'd make a huge pot of soup with everything you have left and just blend it up. You'd be surprised how good a pureed soup tastes, no matter what's in it, if you season it well. And it's very stick-to-your-ribs.

Good luck!
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: digitalzombie
Stats: 329/295/140
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/24/2013
Quote:
I checked the Aldi's website. Nothing came up within 200 miles of here. I checked all the towns I could think of.
It might help to use the Store Locator that is for USA lol that link was for Aldi's in Ireland.

ALDI - Find a Store
digitalzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
Wow, there are some great ideas in this thread for stretching dollars pretty far. I really appreciate them!
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Oh wow...if my almost adult teen ate 4 chicken breasts and 5 pounds of potatoes by herself in 2 days when money is tight and food has to be rationed carefully, they'd probably be able to hear me in the next state over!
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote