Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I love the diversity here! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/808708-i-love-diversity-here.html)

suzanneyea 07-26-2013 05:56 AM

I love the diversity here!

What plan are you on and how is it working? I think it is so important to know how many low carb options there are for people.

handbells 07-26-2013 06:12 AM

My way of eating is closest to primal, though I hesitate to call it that. There are some things I eat that I don't think are "allowed" on that plan. I combine my WOE with JUDDDD, too.

In the past month I am down almost 9 pounds. Being an extremely slow and resistant loser, this is *huge* for me! I am so happy I found something that works (for me)

Aomiel 07-26-2013 07:12 AM

I do Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution...sort of. Limits the protein (<30%> and type of carbs (only non-starchy vegies). Bernstein is low fat though and my fat is more like 65%. Carbs are always below 25.

kaerae 07-26-2013 07:19 AM

I started doing Atkins but the weight isn't coming off very fast so I've had to modify it. I watch my portions and never eat at night. I have a wedding the end of August and I'm trying to lose enough to wear a certain dress that I have but haven't been able to fit into in 7 years.

Natalia 07-26-2013 08:55 AM

I would say its Atkins/Protein Power hybrid.
I don't use the rungs of OWL.
I do not have wheat, starch, gluten, sugar.

I do enjoy meat, low starch veggies, healthy oils, LC dairy.
I try to keep my carbs under 20 and my fat at least 60%.

thatphdguy 07-26-2013 09:21 AM

I would say modified Atkins extended induction

Less than 20 net carbs a day: All carbs exclusively come from broccoli, cauliflower, Romaine Lettuce, Baby Spinach, Avocado, green olives or Full fat dressing (depending on the day).

No wheat, starch, sugar, gluten or dairy.

Healthy fats: EVOO, Butter, Coconut Oil (Sparingly) and Homemade Mayo.

Macros
Trying to be
65% Fat
Less than 30 % Protein
Around 2000 Calories a day

Biggest challenge: Balance protein, fats and calories

UghNowWhat 07-26-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanneyea (Post 16531750)
What plan are you on and how is it working? I think it is so important to know how many low carb options there are for people.

I'm not on a plan..simply high fat/moderate protein/low carb. It's not "Atkins" since I don't follow steps and I eat more carbs and foods that are allowed on that plan. Funny how "Keto" is an acceptable term everyone is using in the bodybuilding communities but when you're on diet/weight loss forums mostly of women there are more complicated labels associated and food lists with it. I'm in ketosis and losing weight. It's all that matters.

finallylosing 07-26-2013 09:49 AM

I follow mostly Bernstein but higher fat as well. Seems to be working - blood sugars rarely over six, A1C 5.2 and still slowly losing weight after just over a year on this plan.

Rhubarb 07-26-2013 09:56 AM

Atkins maintenance. I climbed the carb ladder and average about 35 net carbs a day, mostly from veggies and dairy. I still eat no sugar and do best when I avoid potatoes, wheat and rice most of the time. I eat small amounts of legumes in salads and not much fruit. (I've never been a big fruit eater so it's not a big deal to me.) If I gain a couple of pounds, I do Very Low Carb for a couple of days and go right back down.

At this point it's still all about the carbs for me --- tweaking macros doesn't seem to make much difference. We'll see how that goes over the long haul. I'm only into this a little over a year so I'm still very much in learning mode.

pooticus 07-26-2013 09:59 AM

Great post Suzanne!

Mine is definitely hybrid!

I do Atkin's OWL anywhere from 20-60 grams of net carbs daily -- though mostly around 35-40g net on most days. I also JUDDD (alternate day fast and keep a daily eating window of between 6-8 hours each day). This all helps keep my body confused enough to allow me to slowly lose despite some pretty tough meds!

shelby'snana 07-26-2013 11:06 AM

I'm a mix too.......LC to mod carb. Get my carbs from LC veggies and some fruit. ( I love grapes and have to really ration these out )

Love LCF's too !

mimivac 07-26-2013 11:18 AM

General low carb, closer to Atkins than anything else. No sugar, wheat, potatoes, rice or legumes. I'm allowed fruit, but haven't had any in a while. Do allow all kinds of vegetables including as much as I want of tomatoes, onions, and carrots. Never had a problem with high fat dairy, nuts, or cheese either. I do watch portions and eat high fat. Works!

Ntombi 07-26-2013 11:40 AM

I always say Atkins, but it's honestly more of an Atkins/NK hybrid, because I plan to stay in ketosis for life, climbing the ladder only after maintenance, and only by a rung or two. I will always eat low carb, moderate protein, high fat.

As I'm in my weight loss phase, I'm eating only the foods on the induction food list from 2002 DANDR, and don't count anything beyond carbs, which are under 20g total per day.

Julie1972 07-26-2013 12:13 PM

I follow Atkins and I am in OWL where I've added nuts and just this week I've added small portions of Greek yogurt and blueberries. This is my 7th month and it is still going fairly well and I'm still enjoying it!

Lee524 07-26-2013 12:54 PM

I'm on Atkins (2nd time) I find it works really well. As a newbie I think this is the best forum out there, not only diverse but friendly...you can feel the support!

teeingoff17 07-26-2013 12:55 PM

Modified Atkins, extended induction, kind of my own plan...but it's working!

Erin57 07-26-2013 12:56 PM

I stay under 70 carbs per day and watch my portions. Mostly meat, fat and veggies but I don't grow horns if I throw some rice or flour in when cooking. I eat all veggies including carrots and potatoes. I'm sensitive to dairy and chemicals so I avoid those. So....very little in the way of packaged, boxed or canned food. I do regular sugar or honey over fake sugars, just not that often. I don't eat pasta or bread. It just doesn't call my name anymore.

IF has been wonderful for me. I eat my first meal at 11 everyday. Usually a snack at 3 and then dinner at 5 or 6. I never eat after dinner.

I'm still amazed at how little food I really need to eat at meal time. About 2-3 cups?

I tracked my calories with WW points the first few months of 2013 to get started and have lost an additional 30 this year by watching my portions.

Hayek 07-26-2013 02:16 PM

I also don't have a specific plan and just do a general ketogenic diet. My current daily targets are 30g carbs, 125g protein, and 131g fat. I'm not religious or obsessive-compulsive about perfectly hitting them every day, but for the most part they naturally fall in line at this point.

cfine 07-26-2013 04:17 PM

Nutritional Ketosis. No gluten. Thinking about getting rid of dairy except for my raw cream and kerrygold butter for some health reasons.

frank 07-26-2013 04:53 PM

Atkins here....read the book 20+ years ago....I just low carb no counting no scales ... low carb keeps my sugar down and I continue to lose .... my goal is 1-2lbs a month .... thanks to all here ya'll are Great

verbqueen 07-26-2013 04:57 PM

I've done a variety of low carb eating plans to get to this point--Atkins 72, JUDDD, hHcg and fat fasting. I seem to have to change plans periodically to jar my body and mind out of complacency.

evas 07-26-2013 05:05 PM

My "plan" is a little of this and a little of that.

I do intermittent fasting with a 7 hour eating window (1pm-8pm). I also pretty much eat only whole foods, so nothing processed. Basically I eat meat, dairy, eggs, nuts, vegetables (except starchy ones like potatoes and corn), fruit (a few times a week) and lots of fat (most comes from coconut oil, avocado, olive oil and almonds or cashews). I splurge every once in a while and have something like pizza or a lemon bar from my favorite bakery. I would guess it's 2-3 times per month.

I do not track my carbs, calories or ratios. I just be sure to make good food choices and eat sensible portions (and the portions haven't been a problem at all because when I sit down for a meal it seems like I'm full so quickly!).

I do drink alcohol but limit it to once or twice a week and then when I do have it I try to limit my number of drinks to just 2 or 3. I'm a HUGE beer fan and living in San Diego (microbrew heaven) is tough sometimes because of it, haha!

So far this has been working well for me.

princessmommy 07-26-2013 07:13 PM

Modified Atkins w/ extended induction for the most part, I stay Far away from sugar, All wheat etc. I usually aim for 20-30 carbs a day or less. These last 10 or so lbs are stubborn to come off!

Arctic_Mama 07-26-2013 07:21 PM

I'm 2002 Atkins induction (extended), by the book to get off these last few pounds. I'll be moving up the OWL rungs in the coming months and likely settle back on rung 4, and 35-45 net carbs max. But I've done everything from calorie counting to hCG during the last five years. I just keep at it and tweak as needed. Atkins is by far the best fit for effortless maintenance for me, though :)

sbwertz 07-26-2013 07:24 PM

We're on our own version of maintenance. After 20 years on low carb, I don't really count carbs any more. I don't have anything high carb in the house. Mostly I cook to my diabetic husband's meter readings. If he is under a hundred before a meal I boost the carbs a bit. If he is over 120 I cut them. We average 20 to 50 grams a day.

I'm hypoglycemic, so my diet is actually more rigid than his. He can just up his insulin if he eats something higher in carbs than usual (like a piece of bread at a restaurant.) I can't do that because I have no way to counter it. I just get sick. So I rarely cheat. It just isn't worth the hangover I get from carbs.

DiamondDeb 07-26-2013 07:32 PM

I follow my own plan.

Eliminated as unhealthy for me: processed foods, GMOs, grains, artificial sweeteners, starchy foods & dairy.

I eat healthy proteins (like grassfed beef, chicken, turkey, eggs, & wild-caught fish) and LC veggies with good fats like virgin coconut oil. I drink mostly filtered water but also enjoy coffee & tea sweetened with pure stevia extract powder.

It is working very well. I keep shrinking out of my clothes and just had to move the seat on my stationary bike closer to the pedals for the second time this year. Losing all that extra padding made it hard for my feet to reach the pedals!

I feel good eating this way, too. And no cravings.

UghNowWhat 07-27-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank (Post 16532641)
Atkins here....read the book 20+ years ago....I just low carb no counting no scales ... low carb keeps my sugar down and I continue to lose .... my goal is 1-2lbs a month .... thanks to all here ya'll are Great

Can I ask why such a low goal? Most lose that a week minus the occasional stall. I don't know if you knew that. Seems like 12lbs a year would get discouraging fast when you can lose that in 2-3 months.

astribling 07-27-2013 08:01 AM

I'm not on any "named" plan either. Really my own low-carb plan, 50 or less net carbs per day, no sugar, no wheat, got rid of most processed carbs. I never did a strict induction of any sort, just jumped in to this level and it's worked well for me. I eat plenty of non-starchy veggies, and some lower sugar fruits.

Stacy O 07-27-2013 08:08 AM

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (currently extended induction). I feel that it is going very well; I started on 5/31 and I have lost 16 lbs.

SlowSure 07-27-2013 08:12 AM

Modified ketogenic (incorporates MCT oil) protocol for migraine control within a JUDDD schedule.