Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I'd settle for 12 pounds a year. Not sure who you mean by "most" but some of us older ones find the weight slow to come off, especially nearer to goal. I am not even so near to goal and it is coming off slowly.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #32
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I started out doing Atkins and have varied my low carb eating strategies but over the past 14 months have settled into a .n.k. Woe which is low carb, moderate protein and high fat which only tracks the grams of macros. I also strive for the best food quality with grass fed, naturally raised animals and animal products as much as possible.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trinigirl
Stats: 160/158/145/139/132
WOE: Moderate Carbs.
Start Date: April 1st 2013
Thank you for this thread, I am low carb, I eat meat,fish, nuts, yogurt, fruit and vegetables, no bread, flour, pasta,rice, any grain...no sugar.
That,s my plan to health and well being. Also the support and acceptance of all is wonderful.
Trinigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Low carb atkins evolving toward NK. Under 20 net carbs a day, incorporating veggies within that limit. Monitoring protein to keep in range of enough but not too much. Not worrying about fat or calories too much (maybe need to do that come Sept), not running away fats nor eating beyond satisfaction. Three meals a day, with an allowance for snacks if needed. Atkins induction with a few exceptions. I give myself a small serving of fullfat yogurt with fruit allowance. I keep the portions small, 2 or 3 ounces, which spreads my fruit indulgence (if a whole nectarine or peach) over several day, otherwise with a small number of blueberries or a few strawberries. Sometimes without fruit. I also drink coffee, but no alcohol and no nuts. Not sure I can ever do those again, but hope I can add nuts at some point, but not if I can't limit them.

Last edited by Patience; 07-28-2013 at 05:57 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
This is the only forum that I have found that is very active and people respond to each other in a kind and helpful way. Lots of back and forth here, not just my way is the right way and read the literature pat answers.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I have finally found something that works for me and that I can live with long term.

I do a combination of fasting and LCHF, or the Scandinavian Diet as it's also known.

I fast three days a week and eat Low Carb, High Fat, Moderate Protein with only natural foods, no additives four days a week. I try to source my food directly from the farms that produce them, and if that fails I try to buy additive free and/or organic. For meats this means grassfed, and for fish this means wild caught. For poultry this means free range.

This kind of eating is not the cheapest, but I've found my bills not to be too high because of my fasting for three days (I only drink water and tea) and because I try to buy seasonal and because of the high fat content of my foods I don't need as much to feel satisfied.

I love the fact that everybody has made their plans their own, it gives me many insights and ideas and I also just like diversity of all kinds! Keeps life interesting!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I started with Atkins went on to Atkins 72 and what I am now doing is still locarb with less than 25g carbs but with an eye to turning the clock back on my metabolism.
This means that I eat organic or bio to a large percentage, have increased my fish intake from zero to a pound a week ( still needs to be upped ).
Coffee has been kicked to the curb in theh interest of giving my adrenals a rest.
Alga is now on the menu (dried) I have a mega breakfast of 50 g of protein and aim for just eating at dinnertime again.
I have put forward my hours of when I go to sleep to catch the full restorative phase of sleep.
I also do cold thermogenesis which means cold showers for me. I am feeling a whole lot better than I have just doing normal carb but have gained 4 lbs all while in ketosis.It is probably due to the thermogenesis as the body until adjusted wants more calories which I am giving. It should reverse any moment...I hope ...

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Atkins/NK hybrid for the long haul.
Also continuing to heal from nutritional deficits and eating disorder.

Just hit the 20 pound-loss mark, with another 20 to 30 to go.
I get about 90 g protein, and fat to satisfaction. Carbs can vary between 20 and 30 total (10 to 20-ish net).
I practice eating when hungry. I limit artificial sweeteners. No frankenfoods. I stay under Atkins limit of 4 oz cheese, and I don't do soy. I eat simple foods with emphasis on raw veggies, and I only do the more involved LC recipes as a treat every now and then. So plain meats and eggs, butter/olive oil, salads, some cooked veg, and a little cheese.

I also don't freak out over a couple of LC adult beverages. And every now and then I'll have some nuts or a small amount of berries or melon.

Last edited by emel; 07-30-2013 at 04:50 PM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
I started with Atkins the first 3 years (lost 100 lbs) then searched and found a structured low carb recovery approach with a higher power to lose the rest of the weight (addl 125 lbs).

It is 3 weighed and measured meals with no snacks except zero calorie drinks, write it down each morning, call it into my sponsor. This is the most important action I take each day and make it a priority. Everything else falls into place.

It amounts to approximately 70 net carbs, 40-45% fat, 30-35% protein, 25-30% carbs. The carbs come from a fruit and cooked & raw veggies. I don't eat sugar, grains, alcohol, dairy (except Greek yogurt), legumes, beans, nuts (except soybeans). I am not a vegetarian but only eat meat at lunchtime because I love my Greek yogurt for supper and my eggs & soycheese for breakfast.

I some favorite meals and tend to rotate them for variety as I am sure you do too.

I have been maintaining for 7 years with a blip in 2011 where I thought I didn't need to do this any more so I stopped and regained 32 lbs in 7 weeks. Was I wrong!

It is comforting to have boundaries around my food and how much is enough because the barometer in my head that tells me I had enough is broken. I will hopefully never again have to "diet" but just live my life.

Let's hear it for diversity! hear! hear! Yeh!

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:22 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I have no idea at this point. I am Atkinesque. Protein, carbs from veggies fruit and yogurt, and full fat. I do not know how many carbs I eat now but I used to eat hundreds!!
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #41

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I have so much success on my plan, but other try it and hate it! Then I read about all the success on JUDD and know that would be a huge disaster for me!
Like the people who can have a cheat meal once in a while. I am jealous of them!
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I have so much success on my plan, but other try it and hate it! Then I read about all the success on JUDD and know that would be a huge disaster for me!
Like the people who can have a cheat meal once in a while. I am jealous of them!
It's great to remember that we're all different. That's another good reason why this post is good. I'm enjoying seeing everyone's plans. And JUDDD wouldn't work for me, either, Suzanne. Neither would structured times of IF, although I skip a meal if I'm not hungry.

It's a good lesson that something might be good for someone and not-good for someone else, but we all get along.

We may not all be in the same boat, but we're all in boats.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post

We may not all be in the same boat, but we're all in boats.
Truth
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #44
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I'm not jealous of them...but that may be because I'm 100% on my plan and that makes me happy as a clam in mud at high tide.

Actually, the foods I no longer eat are ones I have deemed unhealthy so it is more than that they might cause bad eating or weight gain. That keeps me from wanting them. Seriously, who knows what those foods might do on the inside...?
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #45
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I'm not jealous of them...but that may be because I'm 100% on my plan and that makes me happy as a clam in mud at high tide.

Actually, the foods I no longer eat are ones I have deemed unhealthy so it is more than that they might cause bad eating or weight gain. That keeps me from wanting them. Seriously, who knows what those foods might do on the inside...?
Same here!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
My plan is probably controversial but hey it is low carb! I just start eating and when I find a cat hair which I inevitably do appetite is ruined and meal is finished usually within 2 bites....I wish I were kidding! oh and I have given up eating anything that hairs can easily hide in which greatly limits my food choices to simple meat and veggies from my garden so its getting enough calories that is difficult now. I don't know where my phobia of hair started but its slowly killing me.
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
My plan is probably controversial but hey it is low carb! I just start eating and when I find a cat hair which I inevitably do appetite is ruined and meal is finished usually within 2 bites....I wish I were kidding! oh and I have given up eating anything that hairs can easily hide in which greatly limits my food choices to simple meat and veggies from my garden so its getting enough calories that is difficult now. I don't know where my phobia of hair started but its slowly killing me.
Omg I just threw up in my mouth. I am super paranoid about hair in food, too
But why are you getting so much cat hair in it?!
I almost never encounter one due to extreme meticulousness (the rest of my house sure isn't but with food prep I'm a freak)

And that right there is why I never EVER eat other people's food at a potluck!!!! Scratch their muff, keep their dirty rings on, turn their back and the cat licks it, hair everywhere..... YUCK!!!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
Omg I just threw up in my mouth. I am super paranoid about hair in food, too
But why are you getting so much cat hair in it?!
I almost never encounter one due to extreme meticulousness (the rest of my house sure isn't but with food prep I'm a freak)

And that right there is why I never EVER eat other people's food at a potluck!!!! Scratch their muff, keep their dirty rings on, turn their back and the cat licks it, hair everywhere..... YUCK!!!
I have no idea this is what I do before EVERY meal in my house no lie!
1. lock cats up in room
2.sweep and vacuum
3.wipe down all counters
4. have aluminum foil ready to immediately cover any food and run as fast as I can outside to eat it and I still have to battle the hair. I vacuum the entire house 3 times a day to try to control the amount of hair but it does no use and I am going to go crazy!

I will not allow anyone else to prepare or touch the food I eat because noone is as meticulous as I am about keeping the areas clean. It stresses me out so badly!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Do you wipe your bowls and pans before using?
Hair on tea towel can be hard to see so I would get tea towels in opposite color to the cats fur.
I have heard that Furminator brush is absolutely amazing. Maybe get one of those and use it a lot ? Or shave them? Lol

Could fur be getting in from your shirt? Again, I would change to a color that deeply contrasts the cat hair, and a smooth fabric with a very fine weave so the hair can't easily get stuck. Or you could always cook topless!! Lol not bacon though.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Also the vacuum? Is it the kind that just propels dust into the air or ??
Maybe one with a HEPA or a seperate, high quality air filter?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Threadjack:

The Furminator is amazing!!!! We use it on our dog, and it has reduced the shedding by about 85%!!!!!!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 AM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Why not get a turtle?
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #53

PErhaps you need a better vacuum. I was always vacuuming to deal with hair from the dog and the cat. I got a good vacuum and now I vacuum twice a week at most, after thoroughly cleaning the house including under beds and behind furniture.

I used my old vacuum to do the living room, and then immediately used the new good vacuum. It was amazing how much more hair I got up with the new one right away.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Do you wipe your bowls and pans before using?
Hair on tea towel can be hard to see so I would get tea towels in opposite color to the cats fur.
I have heard that Furminator brush is absolutely amazing. Maybe get one of those and use it a lot ? Or shave them? Lol

Could fur be getting in from your shirt? Again, I would change to a color that deeply contrasts the cat hair, and a smooth fabric with a very fine weave so the hair can't easily get stuck. Or you could always cook topless!! Lol not bacon though.
Yes, I wipe them out with napkins. And I always change my shirt beforehand. It's the airborne hair that is the problem. I am googling Furminator, thanks!

Quote:
Also the vacuum? Is it the kind that just propels dust into the air or ??
Maybe one with a HEPA or a seperate, high quality air filter?
I have a shark and it cleans really well. I think its just that the cats shed so fast right after I vacuum its everywhere in minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Threadjack:

The Furminator is amazing!!!! We use it on our dog, and it has reduced the shedding by about 85%!!!!!!
Great, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Why not get a turtle?
not the same kind of pet at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
PErhaps you need a better vacuum. I was always vacuuming to deal with hair from the dog and the cat. I got a good vacuum and now I vacuum twice a week at most, after thoroughly cleaning the house including under beds and behind furniture.

I used my old vacuum to do the living room, and then immediately used the new good vacuum. It was amazing how much more hair I got up with the new one right away.
My shark shows a ton of hair I have to empty it twice for one room, I believe it is doing a good job. What kind do you use?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Lol @ Mary, I actually hate cats and am phobic of them but I didn't think a "ship the cats out" would be that popular. Lol

Emel, your raccoon must shed like a B too! Lolz

@MSN08- I feel your pain. It sounds like you're taking many precautions already.
How many cats do you have?
Would the layout of your house be conducive to only having the cats permitted in other areas but never kitchen/dining? Or is it all open air?

I would try the Furminator and look into an air purifier. I know many purifiers don't just get rid of dander, lots suck up the airborne fur. We don't have animals (except hubby) but we seem to have lots of airborne dust (from lack of dusting plus lots if electronics ) and the purifier visibly reduced the dust.

Good luck to you! Maybe get a Mexican hairless next time.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Honeywell HEPA pet clean air purifier.
Reviews are great
Catches airborne fur
Look for one that filters all air 10x per hour
Will be noisy
Ionic doesn't work for hair
Charcoal, lint trap type filters
Works best with an air current ( so open windows or a good fan for crosswinds)
Under $60 at Home Depot

I suggest this plus a Furminator . Use the Furminator on an almost daily routine until the problem is under control, then you can back off.. Maybe once a week would work? Never had a cat.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Sorry double post

Last edited by Natalia; 08-01-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Old 08-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Lol @ Mary, I actually hate cats and am phobic of them but I didn't think a "ship the cats out" would be that popular. Lol

Emel, your raccoon must shed like a B too! Lolz
I did too until I got one of my own. We have 3 now
@MSN08- I feel your pain. It sounds like you're taking many precautions already.
How many cats do you have?
Would the layout of your house be conducive to only having the cats permitted in other areas but never kitchen/dining? Or is it all open air?

open air.
I would try the Furminator and look into an air purifier. I know many purifiers don't just get rid of dander, lots suck up the airborne fur. We don't have animals (except hubby) but we seem to have lots of airborne dust (from lack of dusting plus lots if electronics ) and the purifier visibly reduced the dust.

Good luck to you! Maybe get a Mexican hairless next time.
Quote:
Honeywell HEPA pet clean air purifier.
Reviews are great
Catches airborne fur
Look for one that filters all air 10x per hour
Will be noisy
Ionic doesn't work for hair
Charcoal, lint trap type filters
Works best with an air current ( so open windows or a good fan for crosswinds)
Under $60 at Home Depot

I suggest this plus a Furminator . Use the Furminator on an almost daily routine until the problem is under control, then you can back off.. Maybe once a week would work? Never had a cat.
Thanks!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #59
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I have often considered just vacuuming the dog...... cut right to the chase and avoid the middle man (floor).

I think my dog would go for it, but I suppose a cat would be too persnickity.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #60

I have a Luxor--- it's the name the Electrolux people use now that they've sold their brand name to Sears. It's a cannister. It has the main motor and then there are motorized heads for a 'second effort' motor. I have a motorized carpet head and a motorized pet brush head which I use on upholstery.

I brush my dog every other day and should probably do it more. I brush my cat when she'll let me, which isn't often lol. They're both always up on the beds so I air-fluff the coverlets a lot. Their favorite spot is the guest room. I keep a big piece of firm fabric on that and run it through the wash weekly.

ETA... most of my house has hardwood flooring, so that helps a lot. On the other hand, with the hard surface floors, the hair can really travel--- mine ends up as dustbunnies under the beds and couches.

Last edited by emel; 08-01-2013 at 05:13 PM..