LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Help - diuretic and low carb ok?

Well... I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm feeling a little concerned that I have lost at least one pound/day every day since I started using the gymnema. That's 7 pounds in 6 days. It is supposed to have a diuretic effect, but I don't get the feeling it's supposed to be a strong diuretic. And since I'm eating LC, I think I probably was not carrying a extra water to begin with. I am sure that some of the loss is fat, but I'm wondering if it is a diuretic thing, wouldn't that cause me to just lose a couple of pounds right away? Seems so weird that it would be a pound down day after day after day, yk?

I'm loving this stuff so much (have been perfectly on plan since I started using it, w no anxiety or difficulty), so I'm concerned that its going to dehydrate me and I'll have to give it up.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I was taking a diuretic (and not a strong one) twice a day while low carbing. Some of my lab work came back yesterday and she called this morning to tell me my potassium is a bit low. Enough that I'm off the diuretic even though I'm still holding some fluid.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

But you felt normal, huh? Maybe I should have some of that no sugar gatorade stuff.

And to set the record straight, I just figured it out. It was 8 pounds in 7 days not 7 pounds in 6 days. Either way, mind boggling to me, especially bc I'm getting nearer to my goal.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Patients on diuretics receive instructions on when to call the doc +/- some # of pounds. This is because of dangerous electrolye imbalances.

I would call and see what they say.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I would be extremely careful on the diuretic. Low carbing itself has a bit of a diuretic effect because it depletes your glycogen stores, and glycogen carries a lot of fluid along with it. That's why it's so important to drink fluids on low carb.

Watch your BP carefully. Make sure you're eating sources of sodium and potassium.

You've been on low carb for a while and this diuretic is new. Are you having BP problems? That's very unusual on low carb, especially with the weight loss you've had.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I would be extremely careful on the diuretic. Low carbing itself has a bit of a diuretic effect because it depletes your glycogen stores, and glycogen carries a lot of fluid along with it. That's why it's so important to drink fluids on low carb.

Watch your BP carefully. Make sure you're eating sources of sodium and potassium.

You've been on low carb for a while and this diuretic is new. Are you having BP problems? That's very unusual on low carb, especially with the weight loss you've had.
The thing is, I don't know if I'm having a diuretic effect at all. How do you know? I'm only concerned bc it's a lot of weight to lose in a short amount of time. I was totally due for a whoosh. I think if it had been five pounds rather than 8, I would not have given it a second thought. I woulda just thought I had a really good week.

I'm not having blood pressure problems. I'm not using it for it's diuretic qualities. It blocks the taste of sugar and does other good sugar related things for you, also supposed to promote weight loss and suppress appetite. I've had all of those effects and they're great. I'm really scared I'm gonna have to give it up, though, if it's causing me to lose water. I wonder how I can tell.

The other thing is that I'm using it in TINY quantities. Most people take the purified capsules or powdered leaves. I'm just chewing a tiny quantity of the dried (not powdered) leaves, swooshing it around in my mouth and spitting it out. I am sure this is like 1/10 of a capsule, if that, that I'm getting in a day and some people take multiple capsules in a day. I wonder if I could, for some reason be very sensitive to diuretics?

Or... good god! Maybe the weight loss properties of this stuff are staggering and I really have lost 8 pounds of fat this week. That would be pretty hard to believe, but it had been a little while since I had lost any pounds and I was really due.

Also, wondering if maybe that thing about how you lose fat but then your fat cells hold onto water for a little while... maybe if you take a mild diuretic at that point it just all goes, yk?

I will pick up a sugar free gatorade type thing when I go out in a few minutes, jic. The problem is possible low blood pressure? I actually think I'm usually a little on the low side, but I have white coat syndrome so not sure. I do have fairly pronounced postural hypotension, though. I don't fall down or anything, but sometimes even getting up off the couch makes me woozy.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Patients on diuretics receive instructions on when to call the doc +/- some # of pounds. This is because of dangerous electrolye imbalances.

I would call and see what they say.
I wish I had a doctor that I could stand to deal with. Hmmmm...
Old 07-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Has it knocked out your appetite and you are barely eating?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Why, yes and yes. How did you know and what does it mean? lol
Old 07-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

because I am just discovering Stephan Guyenet and Seth Roberts Shangri La

Apparently, strange flavors knock your appetite the heck out.

Seth Roberts says use crazy spices to put you off your chow, but more importantly, take flavorless oil - extra light olive (not virgin olive oil). There is a protocol - no food one hour before, or one hour after taking the oil. No drinks except for plain water, no gum, no smoking, no brushing teeth nothing.

OK, so I tried his plan and have been putting turmeric in my food including my keifer and also using chia seeds (my flavorless sub for olive oil).

After losing 8 pounds a couple of weeks ago on the potato hack, I thought I would lose no weight.

I just dropped ANOTHER 5 pounds on one week.

I am floored.

My appetite is GONE.

It is all about eating bland food, flavorless food, and strange flavors.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-25-2013 at 06:46 PM..
Old 07-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

it dropped your fat set point. Your body decided to let go of the fat stores and stop trying to make you hungry to eat.

This is my theory. I have heard this has an odd flavor.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Hmm. That's kind of a cool theory. So, you think it was real weight loss? I'm coming to that conclusion, too. The amount of gymnema I'm using is so tiny that I can't believe it could cause such an extreme diuretic effect. It's listed as a side effect, but not usually discussed as a primary reason to take it. I'm thinking it's for real.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, because the diet lowers the fat set point.

I could not figure out why the potato hack worked, not really, so I looked into it on my own and found it was because eating a monotonous diet of a bland food lowers the fat set point. It is all the rage on the paleo blogs (generally low carb people eating fruit veg and meat, some nuts, some people eat rice or potatoes but no other grains, no legumes, no industrial vegetable oils (olive oil, coconut oil, and butter OK), and no sugar.

Most people that try it are shocked they lose 10 pounds in two weeks, and when they revert back to paleo they don't gain it back.

I did it longer and dropped 20, and have been so shocked and puzzled by it.

Now that I get it, I don't have to struggle so hard anymore and can go back to my paleo diet without this potato madness.

Anway, if it knocked your appetite flat out, you probably released fat stores, and it could be that some of the weight of food in the system, but some of it is real fat loss if it really did take care of appetite. That is the big sign.

If the flavor becomes familiar it will lose its effect. The crazy spice portion of Shanri-la needs rotation.