Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Does your pantry look like this? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/808632-does-your-pantry-look-like.html)

Garlic 07-24-2013 04:12 PM

Does your pantry look like this?
 
1 Attachment(s)
This is just a tiny portion of my pantry.... I would say that at least 5x more than this picture shows is in my pantry right now. :eek:

Garlic 07-24-2013 04:15 PM

Just right there, there is granola, a few boxes of cereal, 2 boxes of Kraft Mac & Cheese, crackers, Special K popcorn treats, 2 loaves of bread, a box of chili cornbread mix..... And I would love to throw it all away, but the rest of my family might shoot me! :hyst: :stars:

peanutte 07-24-2013 04:23 PM

Does this bother you? It sounds like maybe it's bugging you.

My pantry doesn't have much in it because we don't keep much extra food around. There is some whole wheat pasta that my partner eats once a week, and some low-fat/higher carb salad dressing he eats that I don't eat. And some pasta sauce, and his ketchup. I don't have any of "my own" food in there except vitamins, tea, and my olive oils.

nolcjunk 07-24-2013 04:33 PM

My kitchen pantry only has spices, tea, coffee, and oils in it.

Have you ever thought about changing your kids' diet little by little? That stuff (sugary cereal, sugary cereal bars, etc) isn't healthy for anyone. They might not like a big change but small changes will do a lot to ensure that they don't have weight and health problems.

Ntombi 07-24-2013 04:43 PM

Not even when I didn't eat low carb, but it sure doesn't now.

Garlic 07-24-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutte (Post 16529769)
Does this bother you? It sounds like maybe it's bugging you. ....

Nope, they can have it.... but seeing it every time I open the pantry is like a little kick in the shin......

Garlic 07-24-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16529778)
My kitchen pantry only has spices, tea, coffee, and oils in it.

Have you ever thought about changing your kids' diet little by little? That stuff (sugary cereal, sugary cereal bars, etc) isn't healthy for anyone. They might not like a big change but small changes will do a lot to ensure that they don't have weight and health problems.

Nope, only because both my kids are really slim, and they eat lots of healthy stuff on their own. And they do very well with portion control of the really bad stuff. My kids would rather eat veggies than most snacks. In fact, right now, one of them has an entire red bell pepper with her while playing Just Dance 3...... They are pretty amazing that way.

peanutte 07-24-2013 05:27 PM

Okay, I am going out on a limb here and say that lately your posts have sounded kind of glum, like you do not feel supported by your family in your dietary choices and are feeling frustrated about that.

If I am wrong and have been mis-reading your recent tone, my apologies.

It's great that your kids gravitate toward healthy veggies! That's one battle you don't have to fight. Good for them.

nolcjunk 07-24-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlic (Post 16529843)
Nope, only because both my kids are really slim, and they eat lots of healthy stuff on their own. And they do very well with portion control of the really bad stuff. My kids would rather eat veggies than most snacks. In fact, right now, one of them has an entire red bell pepper with her while playing Just Dance 3...... They are pretty amazing that way.

Well, that sounds great. I thought you mentioned them having weight problems in another thread so that is why I suggested cleaning up the pantry.

Garlic 07-24-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16529851)
Well, that sounds great. I thought you mentioned them having weight problems in another thread so that is why I suggested cleaning up the pantry.


They used to.... not any longer.....

Aomiel 07-24-2013 06:06 PM

Multiply that x10. My pantry is actually a 10x8 'room'. After living on an island off the coast of Maine for several years and only getting off about every 6 weeks to shop, we kind of got used to having a stocked pantry.

Now it's pretty bare because we cleaned out just about everything since we only eat protein and fresh vegies.

Garlic 07-24-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16529892)
Multiply that x10. My pantry is actually a 10x8 'room'. After living on an island off the coast of Maine for several years and only getting off about every 6 weeks to shop, we kind of got used to having a stocked pantry.

Now it's pretty bare because we cleaned out just about everything since we only eat protein and fresh vegies.


Ours is 1/2 the size of yours.... but, LOL, you should see our basement supplies... we get comments from people all the time like "Did you used to own a restaurant?" "Are you one of those survivalists?"..... :hyst:

Nope.... we just buy stuff when they are on fabulous deals and are non perishable, or something that won't go stale for a very long time.

Natalia 07-24-2013 06:30 PM

We have a ton of stuff like that. I'm only 25% of the household ;)
I'm absolutely fine with it, and I'm very lucky because my favorite/ most tempting/ trigger foods are not the family's favorite. I can keep stocked each members favorites and not think twice. Doritos, drinkable yogurt, mini wheats, m&ms I could walk past 1000 times and no problem.

My temptation is anything with pastry or flaky dough, cheesecake, Cadbury bars, red licorice.

Beeb 07-24-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlic (Post 16529839)
Nope, they can have it.... but seeing it every time I open the pantry is like a little kick in the shin......

When I see the foods my DH eats next to my foods it is just a little "reminder" of how I USE to eat, not what I DON'T or CAN'T eat now. I don't feel deprived at all looking at that food, especially since I know I COULD have this food but I now CHOOSE not to for my health and well being.

Look at it as a good thing you are doing for yourself; turn your perception around so it's something positive for YOU! It sure helps me thinking this way! :hugs:

shelby'snana 07-24-2013 06:36 PM

mine is a big mix too.....most of "my" stuff is in the fridge and freezer - meats and veggies and some fruit ~~

my pantry keeps food for DH and my granddaughter who LOVES cereal, applesauce, gummies etc ( she stays the night a few times a month )....... hoping to change that at some point. She's 3 ~` but on the bright side she does love some meats and fruits too :)

shelby'snana 07-24-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16529778)
My kitchen pantry only has spices, tea, coffee, and oils in it.

Have you ever thought about changing your kids' diet little by little? That stuff (sugary cereal, sugary cereal bars, etc) isn't healthy for anyone. They might not like a big change but small changes will do a lot to ensure that they don't have weight and health problems.

Now THAT is a pic I'd like to see ! I can't imagine that :dunno:

trishthedish 07-24-2013 06:42 PM

Yes, I have a shelf like that full of DH's foods. Sugar, flour, carbs, oh my!

I turn a blind eye.

EmPugs 07-24-2013 06:44 PM

My pantry has improved a lot, I only buy Dreamfields pasta anymore, I haven't bought a box of mac and cheese in months and months. I do still buy cereal for my daughter, but if I have time I try to make her eggs or oatmeal. The cereal definitely lasts a lot longer than it used to. My kids will eat leftovers for lunch and I only make low carb dinners. My pantry has changed drastically since starting low carb.

peanutte 07-24-2013 06:45 PM

nolcjunk is a student and doesn't shop for a family, though. I have no kids and it's just me and my partner, so there is no reason for us to stock up on anything. We just shop each week for what we need.

Mistizoom 07-24-2013 07:10 PM

Yes, I still have a lot of high carb stuff in my pantry. A lot of it is for my son, though we are trying to keep him "lower carb" so I guess that's why the stuff is still in there rather than eaten. I have many pounds of sugar, lots of cereal boxes, pasta, cheese puffs, crackers, etc. Doesn't bother me too much, though I should clean it out and get rid of some of the stuff no one is going to eat. I did that a few months ago, but it seems like we still have plenty of high carb stuff in there.

Nancypie11 07-24-2013 07:59 PM

My kids are slowly eating the carny stuff and I'm not replacing it, LOL! It's actually nice having room to put other stuff in my pantry like dish towels etc..

Arctic_Mama 07-25-2013 01:14 AM

Yes. My inside pantry is almost solid carbs - an entire wall of grains, beans, cereals, crackers, pastas, sweeteners, and then some of my things like sardines, almond flour, sf syrups, etc. Our second pantry is more the same, along with the canned goods and condiments that don't fit inside.

It's life, I live in a home with five people who don't low carb, and I'm the cook. I just shrug and move on. Why would the existence of a food in my house affect my plan? It's not like the Cheerios grow legs and cram themselves down my throat or anything :)

The presence of food I CAN eat, like pork rinds or dark chocolate, is a much bigger temptation. Because I can have it but necessarily limit quantity, it is far easier to reach in and eat that without really planning it out than something that is completely out of the question. A perfect low carb pantry, for me, is almost begging for a binge. Macadamias or yummy protein powder are so much more of an issue than a cracker. That cracker will never make it in my mouth, but those nuts are all mine, and all mine to moderate. Infinitely more tricky, in my experience.

Mimosa23 07-25-2013 01:15 AM

We hardly have any carby stuff in our pantry. Most is tea, coffee, linseed, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, spices and dried herbs, canned meats and canned fish... We do have some rice, pasta, flour, sugar and chocolate as well, but that is not even half of one shelf.

BF is not very high maintenance in his carb consumption. He occasionally eats rice, pasta or potatoes and he buys his own bread. We usually eat the same, and then he adds a carby side if he so wishes.

emel 07-25-2013 04:02 AM

I have a cabinet that shares the carb stuff and the nuts.
Husband's cereal and oatmeal, a couple boxes of crackers and some chips for entertaining needs, a loaf of bread (some of which usually has to go into the freezer because we don't go through it), pork rinds.

I have a lazy susan cabinet that would boggle a muggle---erythritol, xylitol, davinci syrup, coconut oil, pepitas, monkfruit extract, and the oil for my homemade mayo.
(the almond and coconut flours live in the freezer).

And then a canned goods cabinet which is mostly green beans, canned tomatoes, and tuna along with broth, mustards, sauces, and random stuff.

Garlic 07-25-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16530178)
Yes. My inside pantry is almost solid carbs - an entire wall of grains, beans, cereals, crackers, pastas, sweeteners, and then some of my things like sardines, almond flour, sf syrups, etc. Our second pantry is more the same, along with the canned goods and condiments that don't fit inside.

It's life, I live in a home with five people who don't low carb, and I'm the cook. I just shrug and move on. Why would the existence of a food in my house affect my plan? It's not like the Cheerios grow legs and cram themselves down my throat or anything :)

The presence of food I CAN eat, like pork rinds or dark chocolate, is a much bigger temptation. Because I can have it but necessarily limit quantity, it is far easier to reach in and eat that without really planning it out than something that is completely out of the question. A perfect low carb pantry, for me, is almost begging for a binge. Macadamias or yummy protein powder are so much more of an issue than a cracker. That cracker will never make it in my mouth, but those nuts are all mine, and all mine to moderate. Infinitely more tricky, in my experience.


You can say that NOW Arctic Mama, but could you say it when you were just starting to low carb?

Familyvet 07-25-2013 05:41 AM

I have never kept that stuff in my house and I never will! Don't get me wrong...If someone brings it or I buy it for a party I will probably end up eating it :(, but it goes right back out the door when they leave.

It doesn't matter if one has a "weight problem" or not. The physiological aspects of hyperinsulinemia and disease/inflammation that accompany it still exist whether the weight problem has manifested itself yet or not.

One of the hardest things I ever had to do was limit my daughter's sugar (part of the reason I did so was that she would turn into a maniac when she ate it). For awhile she would sneak stuff and hide it in her drawers in her room. Thankfully, she is now 16 and she tries to eat stuff that is good for her and is even teaching her friends about healthy eating.

Don't feel bad about the way your pantry looks. "Food" like that has become the norm in our society. It would probably be impossible to eliminate it at this stage of the game. For some reason it has become that we are the ones "on the diet" or that "can't eat normally" etc., when actually, low-carbers eat way closer to the way our bodies were designed to eat. Sometimes it seems like a losing battle! :stars:

Keep leading your children by example and refuse to ever buy junk...If Dad wants to buy it or they want to buy it themselves, so be it, but I would not! Some of it will sink in, I promise. GOOD LUCK!!

lterry913 07-25-2013 07:10 AM

I have a cupboard and shelf in the pantry for my foods only....their food doesn't bother me because I have my own to fall back on. It makes me feel good to know I can look right past their stuff and find what I need. You will be able to do this and believe me their things will start dwildling when you don't replace them. I make my husband shop for my kids and himself most of the time...I buy what we need and he buys what they want.I have already told them I can not eat the way they do and remain thinner and healthy so it is up to dad to buy anything they want that I didn't get so write it down. I buys the necessities and he buys the extras...It's just how it's gotta be...at least in our home.

Trigger828 07-25-2013 07:13 AM

I have every food in the house. family eats WAY better than they did before I started lc but they are not lc people. won't happen. but I control most meals and they have upped their game on improving their diets and I give the kiddo knowledge which is a good thing for her to understand.

I don't mind the pantry stocked with stuff I won't touch. I can easily do my thing and not be bothered with the way the family eats.

it is all good to me. my pantry is what it is :)

the freezer is mine. meats and frozen veggies. my stock.

Familyvet 07-25-2013 07:21 AM

Sorry, Garlic, I see now that you are a guy...my bad!

handbells 07-25-2013 07:38 AM

Nope :) I currently share a pantry with my MIL. One shelf has a little sugar, honey, brown rice, stevia, cocoa powder, almond flour and nuts. The other shelf has olive oil, coconut milk, coconut flakes, coconut flour, acv and canned crab meat. There are also two bags of gluten free pasta as DH is sensitive to gluten so anytime mac and cheese is on the menu, I make it myself.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 AM.