Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
My BF eats low fat/high carb, so his pantry would have some of that stuff, but not all. As such, his pantry items don't bother me. Now, if he had chips, that would be another matter. He mostly has cereals and oatmeal, stuff like that. Maybe one box of cookies (he has a major sweet tooth), but he is very good at moderating himself -- like one cookie with his morning tea. I don't care for sweets, so that doesn't bother me either. When I'm over there, I mainly have eggs or slices of cheese. It works.
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
I'm too cheap to buy ready made cereals and crackers, etc. I do have the old fashioned oats, cans of cook beans, dry peas and beans, dried mushrooms and other boring stuff, like sweeteners, boxes of soy, almond and coconut milk. But the fridge and freezer are stuffed.
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Do you live in Maine now? What Island did you live on? I am in Biddeford.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
My pantry is basically empty right now because I shifted to a whole-foods-only diet. I'm not at 100% whole-foods but I'm pretty close so that means nothing processed, which means pretty much no foods that come in a box, a bag or a can. My fridge is overflowing though!!

Having said that, I do have lots of different types of sugar, flour and other baking essentials in my pantry because I bake all manner of desserts to sell as a side job But I don't have a problem with them being in there because they're not "grab and go," I'd have to actually put in the time and effort to make something with them so I can't just start stuffing my face without thinking about it.

My roommate doesn't cook at all so the only stuff that is in our pantry is the stuff I put in there, which is definitely helpful to me!

On a side note (and I will preface this with saying it's just my personal opinion) I don't think that all the processed stuff is healthy for anybody regardless of their weight. Just because someone is skinny doesn't mean they are healthy. I've read too much scientific material documenting how the artificial colors & flavors, preservatives, and fake sweeteners affect our bodies. They affect the whole operating system and a person's weight isn't the only thing that becomes a problem. I agree with nolcjunk's suggestion about making an effort to change your family's habits here and there. You don't have to try to change their whole diet, just tweak what is in your control.
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by evas View Post
....... I agree with nolcjunk's suggestion about making an effort to change your family's habits here and there. You don't have to try to change their whole diet, just tweak what is in your control.
Thanks, but I won't be doing that. My kids are thin and healthy, and my wife can make her own decisions.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
You can say that NOW Arctic Mama, but could you say it when you were just starting to low carb?
Yes.

I have only attempted to lose weight once in my life. I wasn't ready, and then I was. I committed with all my will and haven't looked back. I've maintained when I'm exhausted or pregnant, I've tweaked as my losses slow or something isn't working anymore, but I've never quit my plan. I discovered early on that temptation is in my head, not my physical surroundings. When I mastered my own will and admitted that this was all a choice (and one I'd committed my life to persisting with) it got so much easier.

I choose this. For me there is nothing else. I can fight it, or make it as automatic as breathing. I chose the latter.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Garlic, I wanted to add something, just in case my last post doesn't come across in the tone I'm intending. Please don't believe a permanent change is easy, or always goes perfectly, or there aren't temptations. I'm staring at bananas, with skittles and a Hershey's bars in the cabinet above my head, icecream in the freezer behind me, and four JARS of grains and flour right behind my ipad. Temptation is everywhere when the rest of the family doesn't choose to eat the way you do. And my family is quite healthy and metabolically normal, so me making them spelt porridge or allowing s'mores on our yearly camping trip, or ice cream and skittles at a birthday party, or half a banana with cottage cheese during breakfast - these things don't harm my children's bodies in the same way they do mine. So my kids, in particular, eat a whole foods diet with the occasional pizza slice, hot dog, or special occasion dessert and I don't sweat it.

But me - I'm not them. I LOVE s'mores, that was probably the hardest food for me to watch them consume in ages, the smell and texture brought back very strong and fond food memories. But I made a choice and I know I cannot eat those on my plan and lose the last bit of this weight - and after FIVE YEARS of having this phase stretched out, I'm so ready to be done. Ready to make the hard choice and enjoy the memory and smell of a dessert, but no taste.

These bananas - SO ripe and lovely. It would certainly be pleasant to slice them up and enjoy banana nut oatmeal like I make for the children (it's like banana bread in a bowl, but with stevia and heavy cream). But if I eat that, I'll stall. I'll have cravings. I'll probably break out, end up with achy joints, and crazy water retention to boot.

All these grains - no good for me. They can handle them, but they're not me. My body was morbidly obese as a teenager and young adult - I can't just eat a bite of some foods and stop. I can't eat them and have energy. I can't eat them without hypoglycemia and immune system freak outs.

And thus - the choice. Why would I choose these things knowing how much they hurt me? Why forfeit my health, energy, and the ability to BE there for my family for the fleeting pleasure of food? And what's more, why spend even a MOMENT of mental energy struggling with my will over these items, when I can CHOOSE to relegate them to the 'nope, don't want it!' file in my head and move forward free, healthy, and unconflicted? I have a choice, I'm in complete control of myself - not some skittles or icecream! Me! I have agency! And how much easier is my journey when I'm just working at daily compliance and good habits, instead of fighting an epic battle against my own will? I have enough problems without making myself my own worst enemy

Does that make more sense? I *choose* this ease and freedom. It's really that simple. Not easy, but straightforward enough. And with God's mercy and taking this moment by moment and choice by choice, I have victory over this real and lifelong body struggle. I truly believe you can as well. But don't give the minute rice and crackers power that belongs to you. Choose freedom, not bondage to boxed starch. Once you have made peace with that, 80% of the work needed for lifetime maintenance is done. The rest is just practicing those habits and working your will to completion in this arena.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote