Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lucy1018
WOE: Paleolithic-no dairy, moderate amounts of fruit
Fasting, please wish me good luck

I ate breakfast this morning and would like to fast until breakfast tomorrow. This will take a lot of willpower, and I'm also concerned that my family might not like that very much. Any suggestions for dealing with hunger pangs and/or family concerns?
Lucy1018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Come hang out over at the JUDDD board. Leo41 on here eats her biggest meal of the day at breakfast. We each kinda have our own things that work for our every other day calorically restricted fasts. Most of us are 500 cals or less on DDs (Down Days or Fast Days).

I'm an evening girl where most of my food is eaten at the evening meal then fast through for 14-24 hours depending on which day I'm on (DD or UD=Up Day or Feast Day).
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
The first time I fasted I had the same worries.
I only fast for about 19 or 20 hours at a time.
Once I got past the first few hours I found that it was not that bad.
I am very low carb and I know that really helps with hunger.

I started out eating a big breakfast and skpiping lunch and dinner.
But not eating with my family at dinner was no fun.
Also going to bed hungry was unpleasant.

Now I eat an early dinner and start the fast right after. I feel comfortable and usually get a good nights sleep. My family does not eat breakfast or lunch together so I am fine with a cup of coffee.

The only problem I have is when I am making dinner......my stomic is talking!

Once I got the hang of it I found that I had more energy and felt great on the days that I fasted.
Hope this helps.

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change
Carl Rogers

Permanent weight loss requires permanent change.

Last edited by Annabel Lee; 07-24-2013 at 11:49 AM..
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
When I first started fasting I found that it was easier than I thought it was going to be. The easiest way for me to deal with hunger pangs is to keep myself busy, stay out of the kitchen and, most importantly, realize that hunger pangs are perfectly OK! So many diets focus on keeping you full all the time and never being hungry is what most people are used to ("Oh my god I'm a little hungry? I must eat!"). I've learned the difference between bored hunger, mild hunger and really damn hungry and the first two are perfectly acceptable to feel and not do anything about.

As for your family, well that's a tough one. Some people won't understand your decision to fast and will think that it's unhealthy because that's what they've been taught. There is a lot of emerging research that supports fasting and shows that it can be a very good (And healthy) thing. If they're really concerned then give them some reading material! I do not have a family to deal with so I don't have to deal with this like you so maybe some other people will be able to give better advice. As far as my friends go, a lot of times I'll avoid the topic by just saying that I'm not hungry, not that I'm fasting.
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
You have already gotten good advice! I just wanted to root you on bc fasting is so great! lol. I never imagined that I would feel that way but I really am so grateful that I discovered it.

I am on a schedule similar to Heather's. I only eat dinner. I'm not real consistent w the timing of it, just whenever the family eats so we can all eat together. If b'fast sounds more doable to you, though, I don't think you should cave bc of family pressure. Our culture is so adamant that families need to eat together, but I'm pretty sure that kind of sentiment screwed me up. It's hard for me to even think of being social w/o food being part of it. Let them eat, you can have a nice unsweetened iced tea.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mdog73
Stats: 235/191/194 male 6' 2"
WOE: Atkins - heavy on the meats
Start Date: April 9, 2013
Can someone explain the benefits of fasting while on LC or point me to somewhere that explains this.

Thanks.
mdog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
On this site, check out the 'sticky' topics at the top of the JUDDD thread. In general, google 'intermittent fasting' together with 'low carb'.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
I've just started doing intermittent fasting, following guidelines in Michael Mosley's book. I've also done JUDDD, which I was successful with, but I have to admit found a bit too restrictive, plus, I made the mistake of allowing myself too many carbs on "feast" days (not JUDDD's fault - that's all on me - but the JUDDD community on this board is amazing!). I'm interested in dropping some of the wt I've put back on after getting to goal on LC, then JUDDD. I'm convinced now that for me, LC is still best for my body overall, but I'm intrigued by the potential benefits of intermittent fasting and it makes good sense to me. Fasting 2x wk is something I can definitely do, but time will tell if it helps with my weight loss. I'm like many other responders in that I do best with a near total fast during the day, exc. for black coffee and water, perhaps a cup of bullion or two, and consuming the bulk of my 500 cals at the evening meal with my family. Surprisingly, I haven't been as hungry as I thought I would be, but I've just been at it for a week. Is breakfast an absolute for you? Maybe try and go as long as you can during the day and have some tea/coffee, lots of water, and salty broth to stave off potential headaches. Then that PLANNED evening meal will taste really delicious. It's nice to actually feel true hunger once in a while. Good luck!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is online now   Reply With Quote