Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jleighs
Stats: 175/127/125
WOE: Atkins
There are certain things I ask my husband not to eat (my grass-fed butter is one thing) because I can't afford to buy all the garbage foods that he eats and then the foods that I can have + extra food that I eat but that he eats up instead. If he was LC'ing with me, then that would be different. Then I wouldn't be buying garbage food for him anymore so we could afford more of the good foods. I'm not going to have him frying his frozen mystery meat patties and tater tots in my grass-fed butter just because that was easier to reach for in the fridge than the regular butter.
Jleighs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
This happens in my home too. My husband gave up on Atkins after not losing any weight over 4 weeks ( because he didn't read the book/track his carbs and would put a freaking cup of redi-whip on top of his sugar free Jello).
I have kept at it since Mid-March and I lost 14 lbs and am now in Maintenance. He eats my low carb tortillas, pork skins, walnuts, Atkins treats, etc and then I have nothing left!
It pisses me off soooo bad- I'm not a very good sharer anyway...Oh!! I almost forgot: he are half my batch of fat bombs without asking AND drank my last three low carb beers. Like I said- I am not a good sharer so he should know better. I'm getting pissed all over again just writing about it.
Whyyyyyyy would you eat my food when the world is your high carb oyster??
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
I would be mad too!

I have drastically changed my eating over the last month and my choices are very limited.

We have a family friend that lives with us and I will often see her eating stuff I bought for myself (when she knows there is other stuff for her to eat) and it annoys me to no end. I always say something when I catch her and she just shrugs and goes about her business, but she doesn't stop.

So yes, I hide stuff!
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/166/160? , 5'7" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK-Stillmans-Atkins
I hate it when I go grocery shopping and ask the DH,"What do you want to eat?". "The norm." He says. Fine. Never writes it down. This time, the apples weren't getting eaten so I didn't buy any....got grapes instead. "Where are the apples?" I didn't get any. Wasn't on the list and no one was eating them." I was!" Not true, they were starting to rot. "Not true. They were rotting in the drawer...no one was eating them. The same amount has been in there for a week." "I've been eating one per day", he says. UM, NO you haven't. Am I in imaginary land???? The same amount of apples and you are eating them? It becomes MY FAULT when he doesn't tell me what he wants. BLah. Dumbface. I sometimes want to kick him in the head.

And how about eating my stuff and then when I ask if you wanted some, why didn't you put it on the list. "I didn't know that I wanted it." *smack*

Last edited by 3fatcats; 07-25-2013 at 06:37 AM..
3fatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
I totally understand the whole "what a waste" concept! He can just run to the corner store and grab a candy bar. There is something else going on here. Some passive aggression of some sort, especially if he bypassed real sugar to do you out of your treat! Talking to him would likely make it worse...I say make him take you back to the US to replenish your supply, and then hide them somewhere that he would never look...You are entitled to take care of your own needs!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wantingtoloose
Stats: 177/162/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: March 30 2004
I think all husbands and kids are the same! Everything that's on my plate must taste way better that the same thing that is on their plates!

I will make extra Lc food for me, for my lunch the next day and my husband asks me to pack it for his lunch. And I know the logical thing to do would be to cook more food, but with a husband and 3 growing boys, it just doesn't work that way.
If mommy likes it it must be gold! They eat my bacon, my veggies, my low carb goodies, drink my sugar free stevia drinks!
Specially my husband! Jejeje Oh we'll But if I really like something I feel no shame in hiding it!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Here too! And you're Not wrong to be mad and upset! I had to end up hiding My stuff in my underwear drawer in my dresser! Whether it was bars or whatever my family would treat it like it was Theirs! Grrrr!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I try not to have an emotional attachment to any foods because that to me is unhealthy. I've found that any food that I am trying to hide from other people and "hoarding" for myself is usually not good for me. So I wouldn't mind if someone ate something that I was saving especially for myself.

The only time I would get mad would be if they ate the last of my food and there was nothing else for me to eat and I didn't have grocery shopping planned for that day. Thankfully no one in my life does this.

Food is just food and can be replaced, and most of those special lc products are just junk anyway.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 07-25-2013 at 04:34 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingtoloose View Post
I think all husbands and kids are the same! Everything that's on my plate must taste way better that the same thing that is on their plates!

I will make extra Lc food for me, for my lunch the next day and my husband asks me to pack it for his lunch. And I know the logical thing to do would be to cook more food, but with a husband and 3 growing boys, it just doesn't work that way.
If mommy likes it it must be gold! They eat my bacon, my veggies, my low carb goodies, drink my sugar free stevia drinks!
Specially my husband! Jejeje Oh we'll But if I really like something I feel no shame in hiding it!
Everything on my plate looking good can be a great blessing - my kids beg me for hardboiled eggs, sardines, almonds, and chopped carrots/celery/salad/etc. I enjoy what I eat and they see that, so they think it must be delicious (it is!). I use this to my advantage to keep their palates liking texture, nutrient rich foods, and variety (at least compared to most of their peers).

The low carb manufactured junk isn't good for me OR them. So that stuff, by and large, doesn't enter my house. The food they see me eating and desire may be pricier than what I usually make for them, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I turn that to my mommy advantage

And yes, I am this annoyingly optimistic in real life, too

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
In our household everything is in both our names but I still always ask if he minds when I want to use "his car." I don't "have to" but I do.

Why ask if we are suppose to "share" everything?
Because it is a courtesy! I love him enough to be respectful and courteous with our "shared" possessions. I love that he finds me valuable enough to be simply polite enough to ask if I want the last piece of chicken or if I mind if he takes leftovers for lunch. Guess what? I ask him the same thing for no other reason than "its nice." And you know what, if I was really counting on something to eat and I was limited in what I could eat, I would feel annoyed too. Most likely though, he was just hungry and they looked tasty!

Order a new box! Its worth the shipping if it helps keep you on plan and for some people give them a sense of security! Worth the money! You'll spend more buying bigger clothes so just buy a bunch and deal with shipping. Get enough for him and ask him if he minds leaving a bunch of boxes for you! ALSO buy a bunch of boxes of bars that taste much better that he will more likely eat.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Everything on my plate looking good can be a great blessing - my kids beg me for hardboiled eggs, sardines, almonds, and chopped carrots/celery/salad/etc. I enjoy what I eat and they see that, so they think it must be delicious (it is!). I use this to my advantage to keep their palates liking texture, nutrient rich foods, and variety (at least compared to most of their peers).

The low carb manufactured junk isn't good for me OR them. So that stuff, by and large, doesn't enter my house. The food they see me eating and desire may be pricier than what I usually make for them, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I turn that to my mommy advantage

And yes, I am this annoyingly optimistic in real life, too
Jejejeje yes I agree with what you say, I love it that my boys love almost all my health food, except kimchi, that they won't touch

Yesterday I had a bad day for some reason and after I blew up I remembered about this post .

Here we are it's dinner time, we had all 5 of us come from the gym and I wanted to make a quick super. I end up making lower fat ground beef sautéed with some ginger, spices and lots of shredded cabbage to go ontop of their Jasmine rice ( my go to since it cooks so quick). As for me I had purchased one head of butter lettuce to make my self lettuce wraps with the meat!

So here I am serving them all when I grab one lettuce leaf to taste and my 14 year old says "I want to try it" he did and loved it! So I felt generouse and gave each of my boys including my husband 3 lettuce leafs . They are all sitting down as always to hungry to wait for me when all of a sudden they all ask for more lettuce leafs , I turn around to give them some of mine and boom they are gone! They ate them all and I didn't even get to try them! At this time I just went to wash my hands and fill my glass with fresh water! Here I am starving, tired, I look around and I'm shocked, beyond angry! I start going of on them and my husband was like well we asked you if you had more and I ate them! I'm like yes I did have more on my plate wish was in the kitchen , they where in the dinning table! I start going off on them and my husband is like its no big deal if it means so much I'll just go off and buy you more! ( yeah right it's raining and thundering outside) needless to say , they ate my food with no regards to me, as a mom it's ingrained to give your food when they want more! But dang! He should know better! At the end of the day , he ends up being mad at me!Lol

I love my boys God knows I do ! But they all act like hungry little grubs!!!! All 4 of them!
Sorry for the rant! I just needed that off my chest!

Last edited by wantingtoloose; 07-26-2013 at 08:46 AM..
wantingtoloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I think the bottom line is that if you have an unlimited food budget, then there's no need to hide anything if you have family members who eat both high carb and the stuff you need to stay on low carb. Even if they finish off one thing, there are other options.

However, if you don't have an unlimited food budget, then you do what you have to...and if that means hiding food, so be it. No harm...no foul. I don't reallly have this problem in my house because most of my low carb food needs to be prepared in some way. Salads need to be put together, chopping up the romaine, eggs, ham, etc. Proteins need to be cooked. The only one that doesn't are the hard boiled eggs and deviled eggs and I just make sure there are enough 'just in case'.

Someone mentioned fruit going rotten but family members complaining there's no fruit. Ditto in this house. I rarely buy it anymore and when I do, it's a part of their packed lunches.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
I think the bottom line is that if you have an unlimited food budget, then there's no need to hide anything if you have family members who eat both high carb and the stuff you need to stay on low carb. Even if they finish off one thing, there are other options.

However, if you don't have an unlimited food budget, then you do what you have to...and if that means hiding food, so be it. No harm...no foul. I don't reallly have this problem in my house because most of my low carb food needs to be prepared in some way. Salads need to be put together, chopping up the romaine, eggs, ham, etc. Proteins need to be cooked. The only one that doesn't are the hard boiled eggs and deviled eggs and I just make sure there are enough 'just in case'.

Someone mentioned fruit going rotten but family members complaining there's no fruit. Ditto in this house. I rarely buy it anymore and when I do, it's a part of their packed lunches.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I try not to have an emotional attachment to any foods because that to me is unhealthy. I've found that any food that I am trying to hide from other people and "hoarding" for myself is usually not good for me. So I wouldn't mind if someone ate something that I was saving especially for myself.

The only time I would get mad would be if they ate the last of my food and there was nothing else for me to eat and I didn't have grocery shopping planned for that day. Thankfully no one in my life does this.

Food is just food and can be replaced, and most of those special lc products are just junk anyway.
This.
BigRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
I have the same issue with my mother, and my sister when she visits. Whatever I'm having...they will want it too (even though they can have everything else I am avoiding).

It's annoying, it's frustrating, and it is a battle I am simply NOT going to win. So I just buy 'my' stuff for 'the house'. There is no point in me hiding it, and I am done getting annoyed with my mother over something as petty as bread. Telling them not to eat it because it's yours makes them want it MORE. Heck, even my cat has to 'check out' what I'm having to make sure he's not getting the raw deal. lol

You + Other people/person in your house= They are gonna eat your stuff thinking it's okay (and for everyone, and why are you so upset, what's the big deal?).

The End.

Last edited by August Moon; 07-28-2013 at 11:01 PM..
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #46
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/210/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
My kids are the opposite and make me feel guilty sometimes. I have never denied them any food, really, but they always ask if they can eat something that is out of our "ordinary" stuff or if it is mine. The oldest asks, "Is this for general consumption?"

Eating all of something when a family member hasn't eaten (like the lettuce leaves) is just rude, low carb or not.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Eating all of something when a family member hasn't eaten (like the lettuce leaves) is just rude, low carb or not.
Truly. Your husband should have been embarrassed that he and the kids did that, rather than putting the balance on you!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:41 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
My hubby only really likes one variety of Atkins bars and I always ask him if he wants a different kind but he says no. When they were on sale at the store I bought myself a box of those blueberry breakfast square thingies and all of a sudden he wanted them! I barely got 2 of them before the box was empty. I never buy expensive stuff for myself and spend a fortune on his bars and shakes so when I buy something for ME I expect to eat them myself. I think I will just hide them in a tampon box next time LOL

I get the OP's frustration though since she can't just go buy more anytime she wants. In general, I agree most people can do that and just let these things go but in this case it seems like hubby is being a teeny bit jerky about it.

Last edited by Kismet311; 07-29-2013 at 03:43 AM..
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Truly. Your husband should have been embarrassed that he and the kids did that, rather than putting the balance on you!
I think he was Embarased and that's what made him push the blame on me, ( I asked if you had more, why dint you sit with us , why dint you buy more etc)

The next day he came home cooked for us and cleaned the kitchen! Jejeje
And now he makes sure to let me know to hurry up and come eat with them, or he makes a point to wait for me! Probably won't last ling , but ill take it.

wantingtoloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I so get how you feel. My son used to eat my LC stuff. I'd go to the grocery store w/my LC list, bring it home, and in the next day or two it would be half gone or worse. He has all kinds of stuff to eat in our fridge, but he zeroed right in on my stuff.

But I didn't want to get into hiding stuff. What I did do was have a friendly discussion w/him about my health, and why I'm so committed to LC eating. I told him I'm willing to share w/him, but he has to be considerate and not clean me out, and tell me what he likes and I'll buy more. He really got it, and the problem has largely gone away. He still eats my LC stuff now and then, which is fine, but he is careful now about how much he takes and tells me what he likes and wants more of. Although he is as lanky and carefree of weight problems as they come, I have no objection to him not carbing out all the time.

IMO, when you hide stuff, you deprive your family of the chance to do the right thing and they go on about their way being inconsiderate. I really hope you were or will be as honest w/your hubby as you were w/us. It doesn't have to be an angry discussion, particularly now that you've had some time to cool down. Might not take after the first calm discussion, but it will. Boundaries are not always set in a day, but w/some persistence they do get set.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Oh, and I just want to add, my son is 21 years old. Been in and out of our house for a couple of years, like many young people these days. It's a tougher world our there, IMO, than when I was coming into adulthood.

When he was a child, we ate together every night. But now that we're all adults, and I MUST make changes for my health, I feel free to set boundaries with him. And he has respected them, once I made my feelings clear.

We cannot assume our family members can read our minds, no matter how obvious we think our feelings are. It is up to us to speak up for what we need, at least when we're talking with other adults, no matter how much younger than us they may be, as in the case of my son.

And if it's a husband we're wrangling with, then we need to make sure we've made our desires and needs KNOWN. Again, doesn't have to be in an angry way, if we start early and take responsibility for saying what we really need.

We won't always get exactly what we need, no one does. BUT, we will be ahead of the game for speaking our peace, and imo, we will find that our loved ones are happy to compromise and meet our needs, as long as they understand, firmly, exactly what those needs are.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
hahaha I am "that guy..."!! My bf is really cool about not eating my stuff unless I accidentally leave it at his place for more than a week and by then it's finders keepers. However, I am terrible this way... bf gets certain treats from Trader Joe's, like dark chocolate or nuts, and I will eat them all. ALL!!! and there is no stopping me. When I'm at my mom's house, I drink all of her seltzer or diet soda. I can't help it!! She tried hiding it from me, but I always found it (she shouldn't hide it where she keeps her nice shoes, we're the same size and I often shop in her closet there). I don't think hiding would work with me because if I have an idea that it might be in the house and if it is something I'm really craving, I will find it. And eat it. I am terrible!!!
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
^^
Omg it would be sooo Game On if you were my dh. I consider myself very mellow and my blood pressure is rising just reading your post.

Just one of my peeves, I guess.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 242lbs am 196 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
I understand I think.. for me it isn't the lc bar itself, but the fact that the hubs eats whatever he wants AND the lc foods that only you can eat. Happens all the time in my house!! I'd just say that to him... and next time get him his own!! Mine doesn't like coconut, so I hide them in the coconut box.. lol!!
easwann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #55
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I hide everything behind the cauliflower. Don't tell them I said that.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catzmom
Stats: 228/179/145
WOE: THM
Start Date: Half-hearted start 10/12 - Re-start July 25, 2013
[QUOTE=Blue Skies;16539472]I so get how you feel. My son used to eat my LC stuff. I'd go to the grocery store w/my LC list, bring it home, and in the next day or two it would be half gone or worse. He has all kinds of stuff to eat in our fridge, but he zeroed right in on my stuff.

My teen daughter does this, it makes me crazy!! She keep all kinds of crap food around but my Atkins's Bars and low carb tortillas (when regular tortillas are in the same fridge!!) just have to be had by her. I am very tight on money too and can't just go buy more right away. Grrr....
Catzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPugs View Post
One time my husband ate my last chocolate/coconut Atkins bar that I was REALLY craving a sweet and I almost cried.....
Ugh! haha

I just don't get it. To a non low-carber that stuff must taste like cardboard.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catzmom
Stats: 228/179/145
WOE: THM
Start Date: Half-hearted start 10/12 - Re-start July 25, 2013
Actually, the Atkins bars are *really* good. My non-dieting teenager will swipe them all if I don't stash them somewhere creative.
Catzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I hide everything behind the cauliflower. Don't tell them I said that.
LOL! That's a good trick!
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buttercup30
Stats: 394.6/377.8/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2013
Natalia,
I completely understand. I have a situation were they don't eat my food, but they go on about me having it. I have to hide it. My dad will actually pout if I have anything. He says I don't share, but he eats ice cream and popsicles, and cakes and pies and cookies. Then he wants to know what I have. Before I started the diet, he was always convinced that I had cookies or candy hidden in my room that I wasn't sharing. I finally had to actually get rude and tell him I wasn't doing that. I also had to tell him that he could eat anything he wanted and that I was trying to lose weight and was very limited in what I could eat.
buttercup30 is offline   Reply With Quote