LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
Ready for What? The Label is not the thing, and people can eat healthier without any particular diet's name on it. So what if it's not real "low carb" . If Mrs. Garlic wants to cut down on carbs there is no rule that says we can't help her to do that without slapping a label on her or telling her "no you cannot cut down on carbs because you aren't ready". Small steps lead to small changes, Any change leads to change. No change leads to nothing. If she wants to make a small change, there is no need to tell her it's all or nothing or she might just choose nothing at all.

Thanks for that post, Metqa. I agree with you.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I would be supportive of her in this. I think any cut in carbs or portions is a good thing. She might decide to gradually cut out more carbs as she adjusts to her new way of eating.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154now/final goal TBD
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD Maintenance
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
As I have said, I don't care if she wants to do it or not. That is on her, and she came to me.... I just think it is bad to do it halfway. All in or not in at all is the way I see it. Don't have any idea why you felt to write NAG, as if I was doing that.
I didn't mean you were nagging, just put it as general advice of what NOT to do, as the book was general advice of something positive. Guess I didn't express myself well.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Ready for What? The Label is not the thing, and people can eat healthier without any particular diet's name on it. So what if it's not real "low carb" . If Mrs. Garlic wants to cut down on carbs there is no rule that says we can't help her to do that without slapping a label on her or telling her "no you cannot cut down on carbs because you aren't ready". Small steps lead to small changes, Any change leads to change. No change leads to nothing. If she wants to make a small change, there is no need to tell her it's all or nothing or she might just choose nothing at all.
I meant she doesn't sound like she is ready to lose weight. Not cutting carbs. I know plenty of people who can lose weight cutting back (on carbs) and I know plenty of people who can't and need to eliminate them to see any change at all. From the OP, it seems that she isn't willing to do either (except for the fruits and vegetables). IMO, an unwillingness to at least try something that could help her to lose weight shows me that she herself isn't committed to losing weight yet. And that's no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post

I agree.
Not everyone processes the same way.
Not everyone can do the "all or nothing" way, some people do better taking it small steps at a time.
Support should be the #1 thing, not the label.
I totally agree. Sometimes small steps are better. I learned that I can't do them, but some people can. I just don't think cutting out fruits and vegetables is the best small step to take. But, hey, that's just my opinion. Maybe it will work for her.

"Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!"

"Humankind is simply materialized color operating on the 49th vibration."
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #65
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by handbells View Post
I totally agree. Sometimes small steps are better. I learned that I can't do them, but some people can. I just don't think cutting out fruits and vegetables is the best small step to take. But, hey, that's just my opinion. Maybe it will work for her.
It may be the mental aspect for her. Cutting out things she "can live without" first, moving onto the more difficult things to cut out later.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #66

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Yeah, some folks don't really care for fruits and veggies. There are Zero Carb forums where people eat NO fruit and veggie. Of course IMO, F&V are better choices than bread in general but there are some fruits I'd give up over some breads and some breads I could live without in favor of other fruits. I don't care much for plain sliced bread, but I love croissants. Plain spagetti is meh, but I love the freshly fried corn chips at the Mexican Food restaurant. I would eat a croissant over a banana, any day, but I'd take blueberries over a doughnuts.

Being ready to lose weight only applies if losing weight becomes an activity. Some people make small changes and their bodies adjust and they lose weight as a side effect. I wish I were one of them. I have to put effort into it. But I'm so tied up in looking at the big picture that I'm not sure what small changes might actually help me lose weight more slowly over a longer period of time if I weren't focused on ti. I don't think you have to be ready to lose weight, just willing to make the changes, any changes, that will put your body in the position so that it can.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
If she doesn't feel deprived of her favorite foods, she may be more willing to try the low carb lifestyle. So find good substitutes for them.

1. Make a good low carb bread. Here is a wheat bread recipe based on one of Kevin's bread recipes

Wheat Bread
Note: Because these breads have no preservatives, be sure to keep them in the refrigerator.

½ tsp. salt
¼ cup wheat protein isolate 8000 0g
2 cups Carbquik 12g
½ cup wheat protein isolate 5000 0g
2 tbsp Resistant Wheat Starch 75 2g
¾ cup ground pecans 4g
¼ cup wheat bran (optional) 8g
½ tsp Thick it Up 0g
½ tsp glucomannan powder 0g
2 tsp. baking powder 2.5g
1 tbsp sugar (eaten by yeast) 0g
1 tbsp yeast 2g

1 cup warm water
¼ cup heavy cream 1.5g
2 large eggs 0.7g
AS equal to ¼ cup sugar
I used liquid Splenda 0g
Total carbs per loaf 32.7g

16 ½" slices per loaf 2g per slice

Set the breadmaker to manual mode.

Combine all the dry ingredient in the pan of the breadmaker. Then put the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix the wet ingredients well. Warm them in the microwave 30 seconds.

Turn on the breadmaker and let the dry ingredients mix for a few seconds, then pour in the wet ingredients. (If using a stand mixer, mix for 1 minute with the paddle, then 10 minutes with the dough hook.) Dough will be too soft at first, but will firm up and make a ball after it kneads for a few minutes. If the dough is too stiff, and breaks into more than one ball, add a little more water. If it is too soft and won’t form a ball, add a little more WPI 5000.

Don't let the dough rise in the breadmaker. Take it out as soon as the knead cycle ends and form the dough and put it in a greased bread pan and set in a warm place to rise. It rises fast...between 20 and 30 minutes. If you let it rise twice it will ruin it. My breadmaker has a “turbo mode” that has only one rise cycle. I can bake this bread start to finish in the breadmaker using the turbo mode but I like the shape of the loaves better when baked in a pan.

When dough doubles in size, bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown. (Put it in the oven when the dough is just above the top of the pan, because it will continue to rise in the oven.) Turn the loaf out on to a rack to cool.

I actually slice this thinner with my electric slicer, getting between 20 and 22 slices per loaf. Put the bread in the refrigerator overnight before slicing with an electric slicer to make it firmer and easier to slice.

(You can use it in the meatloaf for a binder instead of regular bread crumbs, too.)

2. Get some Shiratake/Tofu pasta. It tastes very much like regular pasta and has 2g carb per serving. It is almost all fiber. Comes in macaroni, spaghetti, fettuccine, and angel hair. Find it an a Asian market, or some supermarkets carry it near the tofu.

3. Make mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes. Add a little cream cheese and butter, a few bacon bits, etc. and top with a little gravy.

With a little imagination, you can duplicate most of her favorite foods with a low carb version. I even make low carb pecan pie!

Sharon
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Those are great suggestions for someone who's ready to make the change.

However, Garlics wife took a fit over the absence of oats in her meatloaf. There is no way she will go for shirataki.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #69

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
some of the ways I introduce "ethnic" foods are great ways to try to get my friends to try healthier alternatives because they aren't "healthy" they are "ethnic". Shiritaki for example was introduced to me as part of a delicious Japanese Stew. I made some for my Colombian friend whose husband accepted the noodles better than he accepted the veggies that he knew he didn't like. Figure that!

Homemade bread can come in all different recipes, so making a lower carb one would be no different than making "home made bread with this great recipe".

Cauliflower has a rep for being a strange boring rabbit food veggies, but when made into a cheesy casserole or roasted with garlic and spices, everybody ate it, but not as a "Low Carb" dish, but as a yummy cheesy side dish.

Also, if folks don't ask, I don't tell. I know the allergies of my friends, and their preferences, but unless some ingredient is going to hurt them or be against their diet, the ingredients, or lack of them, is my business. I leave out ingredients sometimes because I don't feel like going to the store but it's not a big deal if it doesn't change the recipe for the worse.

Again, I think a lot of it has to do with labels, and what we call or choose to call things and why and how we justify what it is. I still remember serving mashed cauliflower to BF's Bro, but I didn't call it anything, just asked if he wanted "Some of this". He said yeah, and enjoyed it. Had I called it "Fake This" or "healthy that" he probably would have balked and missed out on tasting it. Whether he likes it after tasting it, which he did, is up to him, the taster, based not on preconceived notions of healthfulness or dietness, but on the taste of the food itself.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
Those are great suggestions for someone who's ready to make the change.

However, Garlics wife took a fit over the absence of oats in her meatloaf. There is no way she will go for shirataki.

In fact, she tried it, and hated it. I wasn't a fan, either.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote