LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lillypetals
Stats: 167/157.8/? Size 14 L 5'3"
WOE: Noob: Just staying under 20 carbs
Start Date: 07/08/2013
Is this real?

There is so much in these forums a girl could get lost, so pardon me if I am bringing up an overdone question. Feel free to point me to a link if I am.

I just finished week two at a total of a 9 lb weight loss (from 167-158). I am working out 3-4 times a week and staying under 20 carbs. All of my measurements still seem to be the same though, so I guess I won't actually look like I've lost anything yet. And I guess I don't know where any of the weight is coming from if not my measurements.

So, really, I just want to know: is this weight loss real? I mean, it is not some trick of water weight or anything? I drink a minimum of 8 glasses a day, often more. Is there some big shoe I should expect to drop here?

I hope it's real. I was so happy when I saw my number. I feel like all my work is paying off.
Lillypetals is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I would not worry and just stay on plan.

If you've just begun low carbing, there's a big initial loss that's mainly (but not totally) water, so you may find that your losses slow.

Personally, I've never bothered with measurements because I think they are less reliable that my scale number--e.g., "Do I have the tape in the exact same place? Am I pulling the tape just a little tighter than I did the last time?"

If the scale is down, your plan is working for you, so just stay with it.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Leo, I have exactly the same problem w measurements, so I never take them either.

But, OP, I've lost nearly 60 pounds now and I swear that every single one of them is real! I tend to all of the sudden look different and clothes fit different. It doesn't seem to happen slowly in a linear fashion or particularly when the scale is going down, but it does happen.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I lost 17 pounds in almost two months and I am pretty sure they are real...

Keep up the good work. You are going fantastic!
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2013 restart
It's for real...this time around I have only lost 33 pounds so far, and I can't look it the mirror and tell it at all...but I have dropped down 2 sizes in clothes. A lot of people swear by the measuring, but I'm like the previous commentors..I don't measure, too much room for wrong
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Some of it could be 'water weight', but that's how the body gears up in switching to a low carb diet. First we get rid of the carbs. Carbs take a lot of water to digest. When you change over to LC, you no longer need lots of water swishing around to handle the carbs, so you release some of it.

Then, after you've cut the carbs back low enough (and 20 is almost certainly fine), your body will get used to running on protein and fat, including stored body fat. Sometimes it can take a month or more to get fully adapted, but it will happen if you keep at it. And then you'll have easy access to your stored fat to use as fuel. That's the time to fine-tune your food plan calorie-wise, always respecting appetite and having meals that get you full but not stuffed. And then you'll really burn body fat, sometimes fast and sometimes moderately.

So, maybe some of your loss is water-weight, but that's a great sign that you're on your way.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
What did you measure? I made the mistake of only taking waist and hip measurements. I was 10+ lbs. down and didn't see a change. I didn't take arms, bust, neck, etc.

Once I got past that 10 lbs. the inches started adding up in the waist and hips. I don't know how to measure the face but maybe you have lost there?
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

W00T!

I took hips, stomach, thigh, and bicep.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Personally, I've never bothered with measurements because I think they are less reliable that my scale number--e.g., "Do I have the tape in the exact same place? Am I pulling the tape just a little tighter than I did the last time?"
You ruined a perfect record. I was just saying the other day that whenever you post a response, I should just say 'ditto' because it's almost exactly how I would've responded...until now.

I weigh every day just to monitor, but I've found the scale to be far less reliable than my measuring tape...or even just putting an article of clothing on and seeing how it fits.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Reminds me of the John Pinette joke- lost 120 lbs and all in his face.
HOW BIG WAS MY FACE??? Lol
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I don't really do the tape measure as I have a hard time with it alone. But I ditto Aomeil about fit of clothes.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I don't really do the tape measure as I have a hard time with it alone. But I ditto Aomeil about fit of clothes.
It's easier if you don't use the end of the tape. Grab the tape measure and wrap it around your back, like holding a jump rope. Slide it some so you can see the 10 inch mark or the 20 inch mark. Draw it tight enough around you and see what inch mark crosses the 10 or 20 inch mark, then subtract the 10 or 20 inches.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
You know it actually does not matter whether you lost fat or water at this stage.
You had that water as a reservoir for your body to deal with a high influx of carbs . That water is responsible for the uncomfortable bloated feeling that goes after induction to locarb .
You are changing. During your hi carb days your kidneys were retaining salt and your body to protect itself retained water.With insulin levels reducing the body feels free to release the stored water. So losing that water is a sign that your body is working better and ready to go into fatloss mode.
Congrats on a fantastic loss of some mix of water and fat.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]

Last edited by Aleina; 07-22-2013 at 04:41 PM..
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

That sounds good to me!
Thank you guys for all the helpful info.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
it is not very likely to lose more than 1lb of fat per week. Ketosis is diuretic, so you lose a TON of water the first couple of weeks. After that, you will see a complete halt in weight loss, and your body will start to firm up and you will see a change in your clothes and measurements, but nothing on the scale, perhaps even weight gain. Fat is stored inside fat holding cells called adipocytes. These adipocytes can also hold water, and when your body starts to lose a ton of water, it will start to want to store even more water out of fear of preservation. So, these cells will start to hold water and water weighs more than fat. However, about once a month you will then notice that you will have 1 day during which you may lose 4-6 lbs all at once. This is your body "adjusting" to the new equilibrium and letting go of the water that is taking place of the fat that you already lost over the last few weeks.

So basically, what you will see happen is a loss of 7+ lbs in the first 2 weeks, then nothing or gain 1-2lbs for a couple of weeks, then a loss of up to 5-6lbs in one day (we call that a "whoosh!"), then nothing for 4-6 weeks (or gain of a couple of lbs), then another whoosh, rinse repeat... This is kind of normal, but it varies significantly from person to person.

Drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated and to stop your body from thinking it's in trouble!
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

You know what's cool about not "showing" the loss/inches?

One of these days, when you least expect it, it IS going to show, and dramatically.
People are going to be all WOW, you look AMAZING!!!!!!
And the dreaded:
What's your secret? (Then promptly tune you out when you tell them NYC everyone was hoping for a quick fix or magic pill)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

NYC ?? BC!