Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Dr Jack Kruse podcast. Eat more,exercise less.Following the laws of nature

Thisis a highly interesting podcast from neurosurgeon DR Jack Kruse
It is for the most part easily understandable. It addresses snacking,"psychological forces" and a lot of things I personally never wanted to know about.
Howvere,they could make life a whole lot nicer in the longterm so I am gradually making the necessary changes.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/4/5/e/45ec...988499ed627909
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Thanks, I might listen to it while I'm exercising tonight!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

jeje, a sceptic. Good ! Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by Aleina; 07-22-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Old 07-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I like Jonathan Bailor's Smarter Science of Slim approach, along the same lines. His mantra is "Eat Smarter, Exercise Smarter". He has a very nice podcast, forum and book, although I don't adhere to his dietary principles which are high in protein and sparse in fat.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
I quit going to the gym about 2 years ago and am now 50 lbs lighter with bigger muscles. Big fan of Dr Kruse.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I listened to it tonight. It's very interesting. I am sure I am not anywhere near ready to implement many of the things he's suggesting, but I am open to learning more. But I do have one question - how do you get your doctor to agree to order all the labs he suggests? Becuase I really had to talk her into doing more than TSH for my thyroid even though I have hypothyroid symtoms. She looked at my like I had three heads when I suggested cortisol or adrenal testing. Do most people get many of the tests done privately and pay out of pocket?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I think that is what people do. Your doctor is quite good that she did the cortisol and adrenal test . I am balking at some of the things too, but must admit that the few changes I have made made me feel better already. The thermogenesis part I found before and I love that. The going to bed with the chickens not so much. However dimming the lights and making the bedroom darker has helped with sleep.

Last edited by Aleina; 07-23-2013 at 06:58 AM..
Old 07-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post
I think that is what people do. Your doctor is quite good that she did the cortisol and adrenal test . I am balking at some of the things too, but must admit that the few changes I have made made me feel better already. The thermogenesis part I found before and I love that. The going to bed with the chickens not so much. However dimming the lights and making the bedroom darker has helped with sleep.
She didn't do any cortisol or adrenal testing. I asked about it though and she thought I was crazy (note that I'm seeing a new doctor in September!) It seems like a huge commitment to get all this testing done out-of-pocket, however. The cold thermogenesis does not excite me, as I've developed Raynaud's syndrome (fingers become numb and white when exposed to cold) so I do what I can to avoid becoming cold at this point!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Ah sorry, I misunderstood about the tests.
I don't know about Raynaud's but he mentions what he believes the reasons are for it on his forum. I suffer from cold hands and feet no idea if it is Reynaud's but you are making me look now. However I do enjoy the cold.
I mainly posted this for people to pick and choose thinking maybe I could do this part or the other. It might just help someone to move up a rung on their ladder in health or down a rung on the weight ladder.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I listened to it tonight. It's very interesting. I am sure I am not anywhere near ready to implement many of the things he's suggesting, but I am open to learning more. But I do have one question - how do you get your doctor to agree to order all the labs he suggests? Becuase I really had to talk her into doing more than TSH for my thyroid even though I have hypothyroid symtoms. She looked at my like I had three heads when I suggested cortisol or adrenal testing. Do most people get many of the tests done privately and pay out of pocket?
There has been a lot of discussion about this on Jack's site. The first thing you have to do is educate yourself and practice how you will sell it to your doc. Don't overwhelm her with articles, but a single article that explains the why's for the test may be helpful.

If the doc is not willing to work with you, are they worth keeping?

Mine's kind of funny. I will tell her something I have learned that I think might be helpful and she will explain how I am wrong. 6 months later at my next appointment, she will tell me the new thing she has learned, which was what I told her 6 months previous.

If my doctor was diagnosing and treating thyroid disease based on tsh, I would fire her in a second.

Leptin is Cool

Last edited by beachguy; 07-23-2013 at 01:17 PM..
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
There has been a lot of discussion about this on Jack's site. The first thing you have to do is educate yourself and practice how you will sell it to your doc. Don't overwhelm her with articles, but a single article that explains the why's for the test may be helpful.

If the doc is not willing to work with you, are they worth keeping?

Mine's kind of funny. I will tell her something I have learned that I think might be helpful and she will explain how I am wrong. 6 months later at my next appointment, she will tell me the new thing she has learned, which was what I told her 6 months previous.

If my doctor was diagnosing and treating thyroid disease based on tsh, I would fire her in a second.
Thanks for the info, I will check out his website. I am going to a new doc in Sept. She's into alternative/complementary medicine. I'll read up on adrenal function before then.