Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Exercise seems to stop my weight loss.... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/808476-exercise-seems-stop-my-weight-loss.html)

glennjones 07-22-2013 05:55 AM

Exercise seems to stop my weight loss....

I started this WOE again on May 16 and lost 24lbs by July 8th and feel great about that but for the past three weeks have stayed at 220lbs. I've got 20lbs to lose to reach goal.

I started bicycling along the gulf coast not only for the exercise but to lose that stubborn belly fat - also to lose weight as well. I've ridden 50 miles in the past four days alone and really sweat (humid along the gulf of Mexico). My online tracker says I burned approx. 600 calories while biking.

I've not increased my calories in fact the exercise kills my appetite further - some days I just have my coffee, go biking 13 miles, eat a salad later and have a fat bomb or two later in the evening.

Site removed by moderator. Please see this link: Low Carb Friends - Announcements in Forum : Main Lowcarb Lobby

clackley 07-22-2013 07:06 AM

I guess this means that calories don't count!! It is also quite normal to have a pause in weight loss at your point in the journey.

You may be better off either not exercising while losing or to pick resistance training for muscle development.

It is possible that you have arrived at your ideal weight.

Mistizoom 07-22-2013 07:27 AM

Are you eating enough? That could cause a problem if the exercise is killing your appetitie. I am experiencing the same slow down in weight loss. I haven't really lost any weight since starting exercise (walking plus light resistance training) a little over a month ago. I haven't changed my eating. I bounce between 234-237 or so. I'm going to give it a bit more time, but if the weight doesn't move in another month or so I might give the exercise a break until I am further along in my weight loss.

Aomiel 07-22-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glennjones (Post 16525664)
I started this WOE again on May 16 and lost 24lbs by July 8th and feel great about that but for the past three weeks have stayed at 220lbs. I've got 20lbs to lose to reach goal.

I started bicycling along the gulf coast not only for the exercise but to lose that stubborn belly fat - also to lose weight as well. I've ridden 50 miles in the past four days alone and really sweat (humid along the gulf of Mexico). Fit Day says I burned approx. 600 calories while biking.

I've not increased my calories in fact the exercise kills my appetite further - some days I just have my coffee, go biking 13 miles, eat a salad later and have a fat bomb or two later in the evening.

Is it possible you're building muscles from all that biking? You said you want to lose the stubborn belly fat...perhaps you need to do exercises that focus on the belly. Not sure how much you're carrying there, but perhaps the combination belly fat and muscle make up that 20 you want to lose?

Why do you think you need to lose 20 lbs...charts...the way you feel/look?

glennjones 07-22-2013 09:50 AM

The charts indicate I'm overweight - and yes the way I feel and even the way I think I look.

I can't understand that if 3500 calories is a pound to gain/lose why haven't I lost at least one pound doing the exercise - just frustrating is all

mayleesa 07-22-2013 10:01 AM

agreed I've been working out just to tone and "fit into clothes" hopefully better/speed up inches lost...all that it has done so far is stall loss....I know muscle is building but its frustrating...keep doin what ur doin and keep eating!!! good luck!!

Aomiel 07-22-2013 10:26 AM

I think there is a lot more to losing weight than we really understand and it's not simply calories in/calories out.

I used to say I could gain weight just smelling food. Then I read an article that says that when the body smells food, it starts preparing to eat...and one of the things it does is to start pushing insulin to deal with that food. Seriously? :stars:

I know when I wasn't dieting, I was probably eating 3000 calories a day (or more) and maintaining a specific weight. Which means when I reduced my calories to 1000, I should've been losing 4 pounds a week on weight watchers. Not even close.

I'd just keep doing what you're doing and be patient. You've lost 24 pounds roughly 2 months. Phenomenal considering you're 20 lbs from goal! Hang in there!

Aleina 07-22-2013 10:57 AM

:goodpost: Aomiel !

The only thing I would like to add is to watch your energy levels. You could be exercising at the wrong time of the day for your body. Try exercising around five if you are in ketosis.

As a separate issue your body could be holding on to water if you are exercising hard in the heat.

Lastly you might be just overdoing it and be exhausted. Take a break, drink water and see what happens.

LCNurse_2Be 07-22-2013 11:07 AM

Glad I'm not the only person with this gripe. I was beginning to think that I was making it up! Since I started a serious workout regimen about 8 weeks ago, my weight loss has really slacked off, even though my diet's been on point the entire time. Prior to incorporating workouts, I lost about 17lbs. in three wks., since starting to work out 8 weeks ago, I've only lost an additional 9 lbs. But I'm determined to make exercise a permanent part of my lifestlyle, so that I can keep the weight off this time as I think the absence of exercise was probably a huge factor in why I regained all of the initial 55 lbs that I lost about 4yrs ago. I must admit however, that the exercise is really changing the shape of my body and that excites me. It's eliminating a LOT of my lower back fat, it's increasing the shape of my thighs and bottom, not to mention the increased energy I feel. I think that I'll just continue to trust the process and stop being impatient, but I agree with the OP, it IS frustrating!!!

creseis 07-22-2013 11:33 AM

Muscle and water weigh more than fat and also take up less space than fat on your body. When you start to exercise, it changes the balance of glycogen and water storage in your cells. There is a lot going on and I don't understand it fully, but this is what I believe a lot of the problem is. Don't change your diet because changing your diet might mess up your ability to generate power/do work during a workout. Keep on exercising as you would on any diet plan. The weight will eventually come off, but it won't appear to dissolve like it would if you were not exercising. First off, you are keeping more muscle, utilizing more muscle, growing more muscle, and you will be holding onto more water to repair damaged muscle. None of these processes happen as much or at the same scale as when you first start exercising, or when you change your raise your exercise program.

Losing fat is really just a benefit or side effect of eating LC, so weight loss should not really be a goal. Weight loss/fat loss is not going to be the way to directly change your body mechanics and metabolism and endocrinology, rather, it is a side effect alongside the direct changes in your metabolism and endocrinology. Exercising adds huge benefits to these things, but it will not result in direct fat loss (all the time) or in direct weight loss--rather ancillary weight/fat loss by cleaning up your metabolism and your endocrine system (and many other biochemical processes).

glennjones 07-23-2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleina (Post 16526154)
The only thing I would like to add is to watch your energy levels. You could be exercising at the wrong time of the day for your body. Try exercising around five if you are in ketosis.

Thanks for all the answers! I will definitely try the five pm workout instead of the 9 am and see if that helps.

glennjones 07-23-2013 04:00 AM

[QUOTE=creseis;16526222]Don't change your diet because changing your diet might mess up your ability to generate power/do work during a workout. Keep on exercising as you would on any diet plan. The weight will eventually come off, but it won't appear to dissolve like it would if you were not exercising. First off, you are keeping more muscle, utilizing more muscle, growing more muscle, and you will be holding onto more water to repair damaged muscle. None of these processes happen as much or at the same scale as when you first start exercising, or when you change your raise your exercise program QUOTE]

creseis - that makes sense - thanks

Eliza_Jazz 07-23-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glennjones (Post 16526034)
The charts indicate I'm overweight - and yes the way I feel and even the way I think I look.

I can't understand that if 3500 calories is a pound to gain/lose why haven't I lost at least one pound doing the exercise - just frustrating is all

I think it's all the extra muscle you're building. Also, it seems that you're eating very little for a 6'4" guy, so your body is probably in a conserve mode.

I would up food amounts for a while and see what happens. Less is not always better, especially in this case.

mdog73 07-24-2013 01:18 AM

I'm experiencing the same thing. I started working out at the beginning of this month and I am still the same wight I was after losing about 25 pounds in the first 2.5 months. I never thought it could be the exercising but that could be it. I'd rather stay stalled and get a little toned than be 10 pounds thinner but flabby. Hopefully the weight loss will pick back up. I'm 15-20 pounds away from my goal. I've recently dropped a few things that I was eating that had a few carbs to see if I was getting more carbs than I thought. I'll give that another week to see if I stay stalled. There are a few other things I could change like working out earlier, stopping eating late, eat more regular meals, and get more sleep, but that's really not what my day allows, it would take a significant change.

Staying on course.

glennjones 07-24-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdog73 (Post 16528638)
I'm experiencing the same thing. I never thought it could be the exercising but that could be it. I'd rather stay stalled and get a little toned than be 10 pounds thinner but flabby. I'm 15-20 pounds away from my goal. I've recently dropped a few things that I was eating that had a few carbs to see if I was getting more carbs than I thought. .

Staying on course.

mdog73 - that's exactly how I feel and what I've decided to do. Your advice and that of all the others made sense and I can deal with the stall and long as there are results somewhere.

Staying on course as well.

creseis 07-24-2013 05:20 AM

Also, remember to reassess your goal weight every few weeks and the calories and protein you need. Your needs and goal weight will change as you gain more muscle and become leaner--you will be able to eat more protein, more calories, and your goal weight might become higher as your lean body mass increases.

beachguy 07-24-2013 10:33 AM

Jack Kruse talks about being leptin sensitive at the brain, the muscles, and the liver. If you are not leptin sensitive at the muscle level, then exercise won't burn fat.

I stayed around 270 for years while low carbing - no matter how much I exercised or how little I ate. I quit exercising and went on a leptin sensitive diet and I am now down to 217.

Bobby_Boomer 07-24-2013 11:00 AM

I gain weight with exercise, muscle and water weight, but my pants fit better, so it's OK with me.

glennjones 07-24-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby_Boomer (Post 16529257)
I gain weight with exercise, muscle and water weight, but my pants fit better, so it's OK with me.

Good point - I guess I'm just brain washed in to looking at the scales numbers and if I don't reach the goal number I think I've failed.

Bobby_Boomer 07-25-2013 06:56 PM

Muscles are heavier than fat.

I believe the water weight is helping remove the waste from your muscles after the workout. As your body gets more efficient at clearing out the waste, you probably won't hold as much water.

But I agree, it's more rewarding to see the scale numbers fall.

Bobby

Beeb 07-26-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayleesa (Post 16526055)
agreed I've been working out just to tone and "fit into clothes" hopefully better/speed up inches lost...all that it has done so far is stall loss....I know muscle is building but its frustrating...keep doin what ur doin and keep eating!!! good luck!!

Count me in here, too! :down: The more I swim/bike/walk the more I gain and it's NOT shaping my body any different. Clothes are still tighter than I like and in the last 2 days (did a lot of swimming/biking/walking) I have GAINED 2 pounds. AND I'm not eating more, I'm actually eating less, just not hungry!

This has happened to me time and again over the years! You would think I would remember to just lose the weight and THEN tone! :doh:

Key Tones 07-26-2013 01:02 PM

Do you know what your resting heart rate was before you started biking vs. now?

If it has dropped significantly, this means you have lowered your metabolism.

Your body is a smart system designed to save your life under stress of little food and a lot of effort to get it. Your body might be in a panic to save you.

Mistizoom 07-26-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Key Tones (Post 16532348)
Do you know what your resting heart rate was before you started biking vs. now?

If it has dropped significantly, this means you have lowered your metabolism.

Your body is a smart system designed to save your life under stress of little food and a lot of effort to get it. Your body might be in a panic to save you.

Is that what a lower resting heart rate means?! Why is it always touted as a good thing?!

Key Tones 07-27-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16532617)
Is that what a lower resting heart rate means?! Why is it always touted as a good thing?!

Yes!

If exercise raised metabolism, it would counter our efforts to survive.

There is so much B.S. out there in the weight loss industry. It almost seems like they are out to sabotage us.

I can see the rationale to building muscle, because this is metabolically active tissue, and I can see the rationale to moderate exercise to help people with insulin resistance.

Exercise for good health, but too much aerobic is not good. I have been reading on the paleo blogs about how too much aerobic exercise is bad for your heart (marathons and triathalons), but strength building and short sprints are good.

Weight loss is accomplished with dietary strategies.

glennjones 07-27-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Key Tones (Post 16533459)
Yes!

If exercise raised metabolism, it would counter our efforts to survive.

That makes sense - I'm gonna cut back on the exercise a little and maybe even change the time I exercise. Maybe a happy medium will help move the scales down.

avid 07-27-2013 04:36 PM

I exercised regularly the entire time I was losing. It had no impact at all.
For me, the weight gain or loss was all about the quality of the food I ate.
If it was lc and not too heavy on calories, I lost.
If was a little carby, or maybe too much high calorie e.g. alot of hwc or cheese, then I would gain.
The amount of exercise I did or did not do had absolutely no bearing on my weight.
Those who have reported weight gain due to exercise usually notice that the exercise has caused an increase in appetite.
Eat more = gain weight.

Patience 07-27-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachguy (Post 16529213)
Jack Kruse talks about being leptin sensitive at the brain, the muscles, and the liver. If you are not leptin sensitive at the muscle level, then exercise won't burn fat.

I stayed around 270 for years while low carbing - no matter how much I exercised or how little I ate. I quit exercising and went on a leptin sensitive diet and I am now down to 217.

What's a leptin senstive diet? I've never heard the term leptin until today.
I can google, but if someone can spare me the effort that would be satisfactory.

DiamondDeb 07-27-2013 04:54 PM

Personally, I don't care about "weight loss." I care about "fat loss." They are very different things.

Fat Loss = inches lost.

Scale Weight = total weight (combination of several things, fat being just one) at a given moment

One can lose fat & inches and even drop sizes without the scale changing, one can even lose fat & inches and see the scale go up. This is because a pound of muscle is smaller in volume than a pound of fat.

Exercise as well as many other things can cause the scale to go up, down, or stay the same.

But fat loss will show up as inches lost so take lots of measurements for comparison.

Eliza_Jazz 07-27-2013 08:11 PM

It's not just about the weight. Daily movement will also increase insulin sensitivity and has many other benefits for all body systems.

This study of healthy subjects determined that just 1 day of inactivity made the subjects more insulin resistant by 39% :eek: I can only imagine what multiple days of inactivity do to our insulin sensitivity. Effects of 1 day of inactivity on insulin action ... [Metabolism. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

The effect of carbohydrate availabil... [Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Effect of timing of energy and carbo... [Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Improved insulin action following short-term ... [J Appl Physiol. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

A review of other studies: Role of low energy expenditure and sitting in obesi... [Diabetes. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Strawberry 07-27-2013 08:24 PM

A lower resting heart rate does not equal a lower metabolism... That is way to simplistic a view of the heart. Athletes have higher metabolism but lower heart rates because their heart muscle is thicker and stronger and more efficient at pumping than a weak flabby unexercised heart.