Old 08-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 16 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by batlou View Post
I have a hard time losing while exercising heavily. However, I feel better, my bloodwork is better
That's what I'm talking about - although the weight loss may be slower I feel much better exercising 2 - 3 times a week
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelle765
Stats: 240.2/194.0/135
Start Date: 7/19/2013
Proof my body is just NUTS

Ok, so I'd noticed that the weight wasn't really coming off like I thought it should be, so I dialed back on the exercise. This week I hit a point in my journey downward where I felt like getting back to pumping iron, so I did. Well, I half expected to gain again or stall, but lo and behold, my weight loss picked up!

I have felt much better though, since resuming lifting and I just generally have more energy. I did find out I'm low on vitamin D and so have been sunning myself at lunch for the last two weeks, which could also be a factor...who knows?
Michelle765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scmadm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
A lower resting heart rate does not equal a lower metabolism... That is way to simplistic a view of the heart. Athletes have higher metabolism but lower heart rates because their heart muscle is thicker and stronger and more efficient at pumping than a weak flabby unexercised heart.
I can verify this. It by no means is an indication that your metabolism has slowed if one is execising. It means the heart is now more efficient, your vascular system has less resistance(since there is less of you) and does not need to beat as fast.
scmadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scmadm
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I'm not sure why, but clearly well conditioned athletes have a lower resting heart rate than the rest of us. I take that as a good thing.
But if I'm not mistaken, advanced yoga practicioners and those who meditate often, also have a lower heart rate. Seems like what's good for the mind is also good for the body and vice versa.

Yoga and meditation relieves stress which in turn lower BP and HR.
scmadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:10 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SC80075
Stats: 304/291.4/140
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 08/13/13
I'm having the same problem here, and I know it's been hashed out thoroughly, but it is so frustrating I just need to vent.

I started low carb nearly 3 weeks ago. I have been under (and some days significantly under) 20 grams a carb and I cannot budge the scale. My first weight when I started was 295.4 -- that was a few days after starting low carb. Since then, I bounce up and down right around 291 - 292. My first goal is to drop into the 280s, and I have been hoping to see 289 for 2 weeks now. It's just not happening.

I drink 3 - 4 20-ounce bottles of water a day. I eat 3 smallish meals a day and snack twice a day, but some days consume practically zero carbs. I also go to the gym 4 - 5 days a week. So far, just doing cardio -- treadmill and now elliptical. I started out only able to walk about .5 miles going at about 1.7 mph. Now, I do 2 (+) miles between the treadmill and elliptical and my average speed is about 2.5 mph. i'm sweating pretty well, and tired when I'm done, but not exhausted. Lately my legs are not hurting the next morning. Some of my clothes do feel a little looser, but honestly, I can't tell if it's in my head or if it's real. The scale, well, it won't cooperate.

I do not want to stop going to the gym because before I started all of this, I was literally sedentary. I had so much pain in walking, and there were days when I was not working where I would sit on the couch for 8 hours. My knees would swell, and I just felt awful. I love feeling like I can do more, and I try to push myself a little further each time I go to the gym. i'm not willing to trade that, but I sure would love to see SOME result for all of this ...

Stacie
SC80075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
I do a run/walk combo 3x a week for 30 min and on the other 4 days, just walk for 30 min. Most of the time I lose a little bit of weight each day, but the days that I include running, I seem to lose more. But the exercise is important to me because its another way to gauge success. We all have those days where the scale doesn't move or we gain a little. But our fitness levels don't decrease from one day to the next so I can always see an improvement. This is my 3rd time doing Atkins (never made it 2 wks before) and I think I'm successful this time because of the exercise. I'd much rather be a heavier runner than a skinnier couch sitter. I've already sat on the couch far too long and it wasn't fun.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jams
I like to walk regularly, but also so short high intensity workouts a few times a week and lift weights as well. I think it's important to realize that exercise isn't just about losing weight, it's about being healthy.
Jams is offline   Reply With Quote