Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
For me, cardio always helps me lose weight but the slightest bit of resistance trainig/lifting weights always makes me gain. I suppose its the muscle water retention. So when I exercise it is strictly and only cardio. Once I slim down and get to where I want to be ill start the dumbbell lifting again.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Lower heart rate doesn't mean lower metabolism. It just means that the heart is fit enough to work less when performing its tasks.

Metabolism, as I understand, is a composition of multiple chemical reactions in the body, not the rate at which the heart beats. It is true that children who have higher heart rates than adults also have higher metabolisms on average, but the first does not cause the second, they just happen to occur simultaneously.

Quote:
By Dr Ananya Mandal, MD

Metabolism is a term that is used to describe all chemical reactions involved in maintaining the living state of the cells and the organism. Metabolism can be conveniently divided into two categories:

Catabolism - the breakdown of molecules to obtain energy
Anabolism - the synthesis of all compounds needed by the cells

Metabolism is closely linked to nutrition and the availability of nutrients. Bioenergetics is a term which describes the biochemical or metabolic pathways by which the cell ultimately obtains energy. Energy formation is one of the vital components of metabolism.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
A lower resting heart rate does not equal a lower metabolism... That is way to simplistic a view of the heart. Athletes have higher metabolism but lower heart rates because their heart muscle is thicker and stronger and more efficient at pumping than a weak flabby unexercised heart.
I'm not sure why, but clearly well conditioned athletes have a lower resting heart rate than the rest of us. I take that as a good thing.
But if I'm not mistaken, advanced yoga practicioners and those who meditate often, also have a lower heart rate. Seems like what's good for the mind is also good for the body and vice versa.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
In the eat less and exercise more formula that has been proven to fail 90% of the time, I think we really need to look at how we set ourselves up to fail with the exercise part of this formula.

I think there is as much BS out there about exercise as there is about diet.

This is one of the best articles I have ever seen about exercise.

Here are the best paragraphs:
We know that lots of exercise burns intramuscular fat and is insulin sensitizing. That is why everybody and their uncle in mainstream health is infatuated with it. We’ve known since forever that doing a ton of exercise is a good counter to a diet that otherwise would result in lots of intramuscular fat storage (high-fat, high-omega 6, high-sugar, high-calorie). It is, and the single greatest reason that it has been found to be beneficial is probably the ability to increase insulin sensitivity.

But not so fast. Long-duration cardio or endurance exercise makes the body more proficient at storing intramuscular fat, because intramuscular fat just so happens to comprise a large percentage of the bodily fuel used to do this type of exercise. Generally speaking, the higher the intensity level and the shorter duration of the exercise, the higher the ratio of glucose to fat used as fuel and vice versa. And, after a couple hours of exercise, much of the glucose is used up, and the ratio of fat burned to glucose burned becomes even higher.
Basically, if you want to get to where you can exercise 10 hours a day without losing any weight, burn fewer calories at rest AND during exercise, and develop an unprecedented ability to store fat eating to appetite if you stop exercising, then I highly recommend endurance exercise. It is unparalleled for making your body a fat storage machine. I would say that by the end of the season my resting metabolism was probably near 2,000 calories per day instead of 3,000, and my appetite was probably around 4,000 calories per day – 2:1 AM Ratio, which leads to rapid fat storage if you are not a believer in willpower like me.

While I don't believe everything he says, I think Matt Stone is right on where exercise is concerned.

Google Endurance Exercise and Metabolism July 10, 2010 180 Degree Health.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another good article:

A Case Against Cardio (from a former mileage king) on Mark's Daily Apple, June 20
Old 07-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #36

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
I personally do low-intensity walking, no cardio. I do not want to be sedentary so I move around at a slow pace and make sure I clock in about 10,000 steps a day, and so far, so good. Trying to follow Mark Sisson's "move frequently at a slow pace" recommendation.

In many countries around the world people walk everywhere and they are healthier and fitter because of it. When I lived in Europe I did the same. I hate the word exercise but I like movement, sounds more natural. Also, I feel it really helps my insulin resistance issues.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,500....and over 3,000,000 steps
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another good article, and be sure to click into the Kurt Harris links in it, google:

Friends Don't Let Friends do Cardio, from everyday paleo, September 2, 2011.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
there is a lot wrong with the below statement. It is somewhat almost correct if someone is sustaining primarily on glucose as primary energy source, but very incorrect if someone is ketoadapted. Read Peter Attia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
In the eat less and exercise more formula that has been proven to fail 90% of the time, I think we really need to look at how we set ourselves up to fail with the exercise part of this formula.

I think there is as much BS out there about exercise as there is about diet.

This is one of the best articles I have ever seen about exercise.

Here are the best paragraphs:
We know that lots of exercise burns intramuscular fat and is insulin sensitizing. That is why everybody and their uncle in mainstream health is infatuated with it. We’ve known since forever that doing a ton of exercise is a good counter to a diet that otherwise would result in lots of intramuscular fat storage (high-fat, high-omega 6, high-sugar, high-calorie). It is, and the single greatest reason that it has been found to be beneficial is probably the ability to increase insulin sensitivity.

But not so fast. Long-duration cardio or endurance exercise makes the body more proficient at storing intramuscular fat, because intramuscular fat just so happens to comprise a large percentage of the bodily fuel used to do this type of exercise. Generally speaking, the higher the intensity level and the shorter duration of the exercise, the higher the ratio of glucose to fat used as fuel and vice versa. And, after a couple hours of exercise, much of the glucose is used up, and the ratio of fat burned to glucose burned becomes even higher.
Basically, if you want to get to where you can exercise 10 hours a day without losing any weight, burn fewer calories at rest AND during exercise, and develop an unprecedented ability to store fat eating to appetite if you stop exercising, then I highly recommend endurance exercise. It is unparalleled for making your body a fat storage machine. I would say that by the end of the season my resting metabolism was probably near 2,000 calories per day instead of 3,000, and my appetite was probably around 4,000 calories per day – 2:1 AM Ratio, which leads to rapid fat storage if you are not a believer in willpower like me.

While I don't believe everything he says, I think Matt Stone is right on where exercise is concerned.

Google Endurance Exercise and Metabolism July 10, 2010 180 Degree Health.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
All things in moderation is usually a good rule of thumb. That includes exercise.
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 16 2013
Well I cut back on the exercise - 13 miles biking this week instead of 50 miles like last week and dropped a pound - who would have know.
Thanks all!
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
I do 30 minutes a day on an elliptical trainer, usually burning 400-480 calories (according to the 'on board computer' which I'm sure is only an estimate).

On work days I skip the elliptical because my work is physical (I'm a musician and standing on stage for 4 hours without a break putting out maximum energy probably burns more than that elliptical).

I wore out 3 treadmills and am on my second elliptical over the past decades.

Too much exercise might be just as bad as too little, I don't know. Look at an old person who did a physical job all his life, most of them don't look too healthy to me.

All things in moderation.

Bobby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I agree about moderation.
Anything that we do compulsively is bad.
If not right now, then soon.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
to the o/p: glad to hear the scale is moving again. consider getting/doing a body fat test to figure out how much more you want to lose. there are many types of fat tests so google them to find out which one you think is most reliable and within your budget.

Quote:
... There is so much B.S. out there in the weight loss industry. ...
Quote:
... I think there is as much BS out there about exercise as there is about diet. ...
i totally agree with these parts of your posts: there is so much bs "out there". it's because people have agendas, usually monetary/influence/power. which is why the quote below is as appropriate today as it was in the 1700s:

“Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
-Benjamin Franklin

goal: to have my "saved" 1980s skinny clothes fit me again

"abs are made in the kitchen" tom venuto

low carb eating - the fountain of youth
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margame View Post
to the o/p: consider getting/doing a body fat test to figure out how much more you want to lose. there are many types of fat tests so google them to find out which one you think is most reliable and within your budget.
This I will do...thanks!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: idioglossic
Stats: 179/148/140 5'2"
WOE: Stillmans, low carb, low fat, low sodium, 2 meals
Start Date: August 29, 2004/Restart July 28, 2013
Interesting comments. Heavy exercise makes me stall, or gain. I am seriously trying to lose, so I am keeping to moderate exercise.
idioglossic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Again - I cut back on the exercise to one day and lost 3 pounds this past week
Old 08-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
i'm so torn, i need 20lbs gone in 60 days, what's been crammed in my head is diet along with exercise gets the job done on all levels....maybe ill just try to drop ten then work out....good job losing!!!
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
i'm so torn, i need 20lbs gone in 60 days, what's been crammed in my head is diet along with exercise gets the job done on all levels....maybe ill just try to drop ten then work out....good job losing!!!
mayleesa that's what I'm doing and am torn as well. I won't give up on the exercise but will cut back until I lose 16 more. Good luck to you!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelle765
Stats: 240.2/194.0/135
Start Date: 7/19/2013
So glad I'm not the only one!

I took a 4-day weekend around my birthday and hit the gym all 4 days - doing serious cardio to get my heart and body back into shape and I gained a couple of pounds. I was discouraged till I remembered that any time you step up your fitness routine you tend to gain temporarily. Your body retains a little water to help with muscle healing, and then of course, toned muscle weighs more than the flabby stuff. I think I'm going to start measuring once a week so even if the number on the scale isn't dropping like I'd like I have confirmation as to whether I'm making progress or not.
Michelle765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #50
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
As an experiment, I exercised for a minimum of 90 minutes per day for 12 days. I was stronger and more firm, but I didn't lose a single pound. I took a few days off and lost a pound.

Anecdotal? You bet. But why risk spilling my drink if it's not necessary?
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #51
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
You can have a low resting heart rate for different reasons.

I used to be quite a runner and had a resting heart rate in the high 50s. I was pretty proud of that. I also had a thyroid problem that wasn't properly medicated. When I got medicated, my heart rate went up into the mid 60s while I was actually training more (since my energy was up).

If I eat sugar my heart rate goes way up. I had a doctor's appt on my birthday last week. Since it was my birthday my son made me LC pancakes for breakfast. I accidentally put full sugar syrup on them (we had two new bottles that looked about the same and were both a new brand, I thought it tasted awfully good). When I got to the doctor my heart rate was 102.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won!
12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
All of this is really fascinating. :-)
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've been reading Jack Kruse for ideas on how to address leptin. He cites Art Devany here on exercise and explains:

He says he didn't exercise for weight loss (he lost something like 140 or 160 pounds in a year and a half). He used cold therapy. I'm looking into it/trying it.

From

How to Find Your Inner Masterpiece Oct 1, 2011

= = =

....Moreover, I use PQQ with an exercise to enhance the HIIT routines I recommend with after a successful leptin reset. This is why it is on my top ten paleo supplement list. When you understand this biochemistry, you will understand why I do not recommend cardio much at all. If you happen to be leptin resistant, doing any endurance exercise may cause you to “kill” your mitochondrial biogenesis signals by raising ROS signaling in your sugar burning mitochondria. If you continue to do this exercise while leptin resistant, you are inducing an apoptotic signal in your own mitochondria to force them into apoptosis. This in turn, makes you even more energy inefficient and you feel really bad. In other words, you are killing your own fat burning furnaces! This maneuver, in turn, depletes your stem cell supply. A stem cell supply is your eventual replacement cells. This is why we must make sure our exercise routines are hormetic and not apoptotic! People who over-train often talk about adrenal resistance issues that may develop. The real issue that plagues them is the loss of mitochondria and stem cells. They are killing their mitochondria off instead of stimulating new ones to form and this depletes their adrenal gland and kills their stem cells. I don’t believe many people have made this connection. I know Art DeVany has often and I applaud him for doing so.

A key clinical sign of this occurring is when you have excessive pain with exercise and it persists into the next few days. Other signs to pay attention for are having no weight loss response to exercise at all. Many overweight people face this and few people can tell them why. This biochemistry is precisely why it happens. If you are killing off fat burning mitochondria, you can’t lose weight! If you feel terrible after exercise, this is another sign that you may need to back off. Most fit people do not understand this feeling because they get the exact opposite feeling of euphoria or a general sense of well being from most exercise. This is due to the endogenous opioid release that exercise usually causes in people who are leptin sensitive. When this occurs we generally call exercise a hormetic adaptation. This signal is not present in those who are leptin resistant.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-14-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Old 08-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

ok well here it goes....I stopped exercising for 2 weeks, to see if I could lose more, didn't really lose much more I don't think, started exercising 2 days ago and while i'm staying still lb wise I can honestly say that I FEEL SOOOOOOO much better in my skin and just overall well being then I did those 2 weeks....verdict for me is that I will continuing my workout regimen and just wait for the weight to correspond....I enjoy feeling this way....hope this helps!
Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
ok well here it goes....I stopped exercising for 2 weeks, to see if I could lose more, didn't really lose much more I don't think, started exercising 2 days ago and while i'm staying still lb wise I can honestly say that I FEEL SOOOOOOO much better in my skin and just overall well being then I did those 2 weeks....verdict for me is that I will continuing my workout regimen and just wait for the weight to correspond....I enjoy feeling this way....hope this helps!
I stopped exercising for 10 days and gained a pound - not happy - started to exercised again and feel so much better although I won't know until Monday if I lost any weight. Besides the exercise kills my hunger for awhile afterwards and I like that.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

I totally agree!!! I'm a happier more well adjusted being working out, like maybe I'm accomplishing something?! I'm not sure....we can sooooo be workout buddies if you'd like!! I'm excited that you've had the same thoughts!! KUTGW
Old 08-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Cool! I usually ride my bike three times a week for about 13 miles at a time - sometimes I go 17 miles after work. I usually do three or four hours of yard work on the weekends in the heat and humidity and believe me it's a workout!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

I've been doing/rotating Jillian's 30 day shred, her No More Trouble Zones and Shaun T's Hip Hop Abs and his Rockin Body. I'm trying to stick to this everyday and so far so good!! 4 days back in action and I feel great and have went from 199 Monday to 195 today! Measurement 46/43/47. I'm hoping that if i'm not seeing it move on scale I can be more diligent on tracking inches!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Great job on the weight loss and exercise routines. I rode 13 miles along the Gulf of Mexico after work last night and will do that again Saturday. I wanna see how it affects my weight loss on Mondays weigh in. I did feel much better after the ride though.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
I have a hard time losing while exercising heavily. However, I feel better, my bloodwork is better and I can go goof off with fit people half my age and keep up or outlast them. I don't have to say no to anything physically like I used to. Mountain Biking, basketball, cycling, running, swimming, backpacking, kayaking, etc. My teenage kids want to go have some fun...lets do it.
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote