Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
How difficult is it to get back on plan?

I am just curious how difficult it is for you to get back on plan once you have been off. And also what happens when you do go off plan and then go back on. Do you binge and then afterwards get right back on? I just would like to know what other people's experiences are or have been like with going off and on plan.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Booo
Stats: HW 275/CW 230/GOAL 150
WOE: My Own Low Carb Plan
Start Date: Back On Track 7/15/13
I have been OFF Plan for almost a whole year now don't ask me WHY... but I just started eating kinda Regular I THOUGHT... and all of a sudden I realize I am 30lbs Overweight!!! I was like Oooooooh My God!!! I had to come back!!! and I am Sooooooo Happy I did!!! I have lost 5lbs since Friday! LOL! and that was 3 days ago!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! just make up your mind that YOU are ready and Go For It Baby!!! Im Cheering For You!!!!!
Booo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I will typically eat off plan every two to three weeks, but never for more than one day--and I have never had any difficulty immediately getting back on plan.

The longest I was every off plan was early in my serious low-carbing (about 7 years ago) when my endo prescribed a Glucose Tolerance Test. Because I'd been very low carb for a long time, I needed to eat high carb for 3 days prior to the test for the results to be accurate.

I assumed that those three days would bring on cravings and my insatiable appetite, and I was prepared for that. But,surprisingly, that did NOT happen. I had the test on a Monday morning, and immediately afterwards I was back on plan with no problems whatsoever--and no ill effects from those 'carby' days.

I have wondered since that experience whether some of the difficulties people have in getting back on plan are more psychological than physical.

However, since that time, I've never been off plan for more than a single day.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I do low-carb primal JUDDD.*

One of the things I like best about this way of eating is how easy it is to get back on plan.

When I first started eating low-carb several years ago, I was impressed at how much better and different I felt. Primal just upped those feelings. BUT...

I still went off plan occasionally, and had a hard time getting back on plan. Sometimes for days, sometimes MONTHS!

JUDDD has completely changed that. (I hope- 5 months in, and it FEELS very different.) I think, because, in a way, you are going off plan every other day. Now, when I eat something I shouldn't, I have no problems getting right back with it. I am even able to talk myself out of 'treats' much more often than I used to.

I have gone off plan in two ways over the past months: eating way more than I should, but of 'good' food, and eating 'bad' food, that isn't good for my body.

With both incidences, I am able to just swing back into the plan with my next Down Day. Often, I am even looking forward to the Down Day- it does not seem like a 'punishment', just a natural and welcome reaction.

I LOVE it. I feel so in control. And...I'm losing weight. More than I ever have before. It feels as though I can ride this train to the end. I am not regarding my weight loss as a fluke any more. It feels REAL!

*JUDDD- Alternate Day 'Fasting', with one day of high calories, one day of very low or no calories, alternated.
*Primal- lots of details, but essentially: NO GRAINS.
*Low-carb for me means fewer than 100grams of carbohydrate per day.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I'm terrible. I binge and binge and eat and drink and have no care about my health or weight all the way to being depressed. Then I find myself in the situation I'm in now: bad gut, and back to the beginning.

Not happening again!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I am just curious how difficult it is for you to get back on plan once you have been off. And also what happens when you do go off plan and then go back on. Do you binge and then afterwards get right back on? I just would like to know what other people's experiences are or have been like with going off and on plan.
I haven't been off plan in almost 7 months because over the past 40+ years of doing low carb, it usually starts with "just one bite" and leads into a binge which leads into struggling to get back on low carb which leads top finally saying the heck with it for months...or years.

My motivation is different now, though. It's not about the weight, but about eating in a way to control my diabetes. I want to never have to take meds again and have to admit that my most recent A1c of 4.9 is a *big* incentive to stay on target. I still do worry what will happen if I cave in to just that one bite though.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
When I ate off plan, it was all junk food. I became a total emotional mess. Crying, anger, the works. I last a little less than a week and got back on board. I will not do it again.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2013 restart
It's all a head game with me. If I splurge, and am still 'in my game', I can jump right back on plan with the next day. If I'm not, then Oh My !!!
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
I'm with llisarray. It depends where my head is. A pre planned indulgence with parameters works better. When we road tripped a few weeks ago, we stopped at KFC. I knew I was likely going to have one meal off plan. I also told myself no grains / gluten. Usually when we road trip I have iced Capp and tons of timbits and go to the grocery and stock up on every American junk food I can find. This time, I got nothing except my LC wish list. I let the kids choose one goodie each.

As for KFC? I got 2 pcs of cheesecake and a diet pop. Ditched the crust. Delicious . I had a few almonds when we got back in the car, and have been 100% on plan since even with that cheesecake, my carbs were still under 50 for the day and instead of being an ostrich I actually looked up the counts n logged my lunch in the app I use
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
I'm an all or nothing, kind of person, I'm either being very "good" or very "bad". After a "bad" day, I don't want to get out of bed in the morning, because I feel bloated, fat and yucky

I don't usually go more than two days off track, because I can't stand how the sugar, carbs, whatever make me feel. I'll usually do 3 -4 days of meat, eggs, to detox to get back into the swing.
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
The way this WOE works for me, if I don't have off plan foods, I don't want them. This was the most surprising thing about it and I can never convince people who haven't tried it that I honestly LOVE bread and the like, I just don't want it anymore. I can sit right in front of a big old basket of warm crusty bread and still not want it. I can have potato chips in the house and not be tempted to eat them.

But, if I have even a taste of off plan foods, I begin to crave them the way I did before. I will derail quite easily. I can get right back to plan but then I have to battle cravings for a few days and I hate that. So now, I just don't go off plan.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I usually think it will be tough, so I give myself some leeway--days off or meals off, but then it's much easier to just stay strict on plan and I feel sooo awesome when I'm very low carb right away, so I just stick with it.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I've never been "off plan" in the past se several years but have had many off plan meals , weeks or breaks . I felt completely positive and enjoyed them all. Getting back on plan was was as simple as going off plan. Simple food choices
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
If I decide to eat off plan, I eat one serving that's not on plan, and get right back on plan. I don't binge (binging hasn't been one of my issues), and I don't have a problem getting back on plan.

I think long and hard about it beforehand, enjoy the heck out of it while I'm eating it, and don't regret it afterward. It also happens very rarely, like a couple of times per year.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am going off plan for a serving of homemade ice cream in mid-August. I am feeling confident right now that it will be ok, I'll go right back on plan for my evening meal. Binging is not my issue, it's more of falling into the path of least resistance, and exceptions being too frequent. I believe my head is in an Ok place for now to go back on plan, but that has certainly not always been the case.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
If I am off plan for a while, it takes a lot of self persuasion to put my mind around having to start LC but this is true for any weight loss program. Hence, my restart 4 times in the past 10 years. For some reason, this time around has been easier for me.

I did go off plan for the 2nd time in 7 months for only one meal this past Saturday night. I always reward myself with a yummy LC meal to get right back on board.
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I hope I have the strength and the ability to stay on plan until I get all the extra weight off...
Now, I am going on Christmas to visit the family in Spain...Recipe for disaster
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
We sort of go "off plan" every Saturday, sometimes it carries over to Sunday. Usually with something that we are craving or for a special occasion or the after Church lunch eating out. I'm just used to getting back on track first thing Monday with no processed foods and clean eating.

I have been pleasantly surprised lately that both DH and Mom look forward to Monday and getting back on track. I haven't had to force anything, they are both just seeing the rewards from eating well.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
If I decide to eat off plan, I eat one serving that's not on plan, and get right back on plan. I don't binge (binging hasn't been one of my issues), and I don't have a problem getting back on plan.

I think long and hard about it beforehand, enjoy the heck out of it while I'm eating it, and don't regret it afterward. It also happens very rarely, like a couple of times per year.
This is the way I do it, too. When I'm off plan it is usually premeditated and I get right back on. For me, off plan tends to be too many calories, not actually off plan foods. Rather I eat too much cheese or 1000 extra calories of salad and steak

The good thing about that is that my plan isn't really calorie specific, it's just my preference for easy losing. So when I overeat it is no big deal, since it is on-plan foods. That helps to keep me sane and in control long term - even if I overdo it or have a splurge, I will never quit or give up, so it's all just time. I get right back on plan and keep on walking

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
We sort of go "off plan" every Saturday, sometimes it carries over to Sunday. Usually with something that we are craving or for a special occasion or the after Church lunch eating out. I'm just used to getting back on track first thing Monday with no processed foods and clean eating.

I have been pleasantly surprised lately that both DH and Mom look forward to Monday and getting back on track. I haven't had to force anything, they are both just seeing the rewards from eating well.
I always start off doing it this way, but for me the consequences are really harsh, and I have come, over 15 years of doing this on/off, to significantly accept that going off plan is not going to be very much fun, which makes it a lot easier for me to stay on plan! If I pass a bakery, for example, that smells really good, I used to be like OK I'm going to eat something from there.. and now I have changed my mindset to be, "OK, if I eat something from there, a) I will get a bad stomach ache because of my gut bacteria, b) I won't be able to get anything accomplished because I will be soooo tired, and c) I will feel bloated and miserable all day." Sometimes this type of reasoning has worked very well, sometimes I eat the stuff anyways. But it's really cool that my reasoning has changed and it has really affected how I make choices. Maybe my gut has just gotten more sensitive to carbs I have a huge binge eating problem, so it's always a struggle, but accepting that struggle has helped, too.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I take a break from low carb when I travel which is typically one weekend a month, but sometimes it is longer. I don't have any problems getting back on low carb and I do it as soon as I get home.

Of course I do realize that my low carb breaks are probably what is keeping me from losing these last 15 pounds, but I am not willing to give them up and honestly, I don't know if I could stay low carb forever without them.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote