LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mdog73
Stats: 235/191/194 male 6' 2"
WOE: Atkins - heavy on the meats
Start Date: April 9, 2013
Looking for info on which carbs matter

In this pic there are 11g of carbs total, 2 are fiber, 6 sugar and 2 sugar alcohol. I'm trying to figure out how many carbs there are in this that I need to worry about. Supposedly there are 3 net carbs in this but i want to understand the math.

Thanks.

mdog73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Okay, it really depends on how you count your carbs.

11g of total carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 2g sugar alcohols.

If you're counting total carbs (like I and some others do): count 11g

If you count net carbs, only subtracting fiber: count 9g

If you count net carbs subtracting both fiber and SAs: count 7g

But regardless of whether one subtracts fiber and SAs, I have absolutely no idea how it could be 3, when the sugar carbs alone are 6! There's a misprint somewhere.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdog73 View Post
In this pic there are 11g of carbs total, 2 are fiber, 6 sugar and 2 sugar alcohol. I'm trying to figure out how many carbs there are in this that I need to worry about. Supposedly there are 3 net carbs in this but i want to understand the math.

Thanks.

Agree with Ntombi.

It's 11 for those who count total carbs.
It's 9 net carbs for those who subtract only fiber.
It's 7 net carbs for those who subtract fiber AND sugar alcohols.

I think the 'supposedly there are 3 net carbs' may have come from erroneously subtracting the 6 sugar carbs instead of the sugar alcohols, which no one would do for figuring out net--sugar carbs are never deducted, no matter if they come from table sugar or from fruit or from veggies.

I think some sugar alcohols are okay and some aren't. For me, I steer clear of malitol, but I'm okay with erythritol and xylitol. I count total carbs, but some folks do well when counting net carbs. You'll have to see whether a certain product works for you, and you'll have to be willing to give it up if it doesn't.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
They often don't add up. I think it is a case of rounding down. The other issue is that we are reliant on producers to be accurate. Personally, the less I use of pre-prepared foods, the better.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Gross carbs matter for some of us. Others only count net carbs (deducting the fiber carbs) which leaves 9.

My .02...avoid this altogether. Even if you count 7, allowing the sugar alcohols, that's still a lot of carbs wasted that are better spent on vegies.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2013 restart
I personally would count it as 7 carbs..and I wouldn't eat it. The ONLY way I will eat 7 carbs in one item is in veggie carbs...lol Carbs are not my friends
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
It depends on which sugar alcohol it is for me...If erythritol I would likely subtract the sugar alcohol and fiber to get net carbs, if any other sugar alcohol I probably wouldn't subtract the sugar alcohol. For myself, I always look at total carbs and fiber each day, and try to avoid sugar alcohols for the most part, so I don't worry about net carbs too much. The 6 g of sugar would scare me, though, and I would be unlikely to eat this item at all.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
It depends on which sugar alcohol it is for me...If erythritol I would likely subtract the sugar alcohol and fiber to get net carbs, if any other sugar alcohol I probably wouldn't subtract the sugar alcohol. For myself, I always look at total carbs and fiber each day, and try to avoid sugar alcohols for the most part, so I don't worry about net carbs too much. The 6 g of sugar would scare me, though, and I would be unlikely to eat this item at all.
YEah, something like this.
If I feel like I'm deducting sugar alcohols as a way of getting more carbish foods into my plan on a daily basis, I don't subtract them--it's my way of staying away from them I guess. lol

If I"m looking for a good substitute food to make as part of a celebration (like what to have instead of a piece of cake at a birthday party I'm hosting,) I'll subtract the erythritol and xylitol sugar alcohol calories in my recipe and enjoy the food for that one occasion while still having carb room for veggies.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
I count 8. What I do, is first subtract fiber, which leaves you 9, and then half the sugar alcohols , for 8. For erythritol I may subtract all of the SA's but for maltitol etc no way, it hits me harder than the 2-3 net carbs the box suggests.

It's been shown apparently that SA's partially absorb, depending on the person, so I halve them
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
PS I agree with Ntombi. 3 net is impossible bc there are 6g straight up sugar!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mdog73
Stats: 235/191/194 male 6' 2"
WOE: Atkins - heavy on the meats
Start Date: April 9, 2013
I pretty much thought the same as most of you are saying after I read the box. I trusted the cover which said 3 carbs, but it's probably actually 8 or 9 carbs, and I think these are what stalled me. I'll figure it out over the next 2 weeks as I remove these completely from my diet.
mdog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdog73 View Post

Thanks.

It also depends on whether this product is made in the US or abroad. Labeling laws are different. If from the US, you can subtract Fiber from the Total Carbs. If it the product is from abroad, they are allowed to already subtract the fiber from the Carb total, and still allowed to show the Fiber again, indented under the carb total. So with non-US products you have to be careful about double subtracting the fiber out.

On that note, I presume the same is true about sugar alcohols labeled on foreign products, but I am not entirely sure.

Also, as others mentioned, not all sugar alcohols are equal. IMO Erythritol is the only one I subtract since you only digest 5% of it. Most other Sugar alcohols (including glycerin) are digested in the range of 50% or more, so only half (or 25%) of which should actually be subtracted to determine net carbs.
Exercise: Tai Chi 2x, Kung Fu 2x, Strength Train x2, P/Wk.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote