LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Buffy49
Stats: 284/278/160
Start Date: July 17, 2013
Newbie with a question!

Hello all!

I started a diet to lose weight 4 days ago. I also attend 1-2 classes a day at a fitness center.

The owner of the fitness center has me on the following diet and will monitor my progress and food journal weekly:

No carbs
No dairy
No beans
No alcohol
No salmon
No corn, carrots, peas, white potatoes, sweet potatoes
No pork
No nuts

I should eat a lot of vegetables, white meats, egg whites, seafood, apples, oranges, grapefruit, berries, balsamic vinegar on salads.

For breakfast every morning I have a natural protein shake that she gave me.

I lost 6lbs by day 3 and am very happy my carb withdrawal symptoms are slowing down.

Does my diet have a name? I am just blindly following her suggestions, but am not sure if this is a common diet.

Thank you!
Buffy49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Well if you are eating vegetables and fruits, you are eating carbs

It seems she has you on a low fat/high carb diet...Very popular in the fitness world
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy49 View Post
Hello all!

I started a diet to lose weight 4 days ago. I also attend 1-2 classes a day at a fitness center.

The owner of the fitness center has me on the following diet and will monitor my progress and food journal weekly:

No carbs
No dairy
No beans
No alcohol
No salmon
No pork
No nuts

I should eat a lot of vegetables, white meats, egg whites, seafood, apples, oranges, grapefruit, berries, balsamic vinegar on salads.

For breakfast every morning I have a natural protein shake that she gave me.

I lost 6lbs by day 3 and am very happy my carb withdrawal symptoms are slowing down.

Does my diet have a name? I am just blindly following her suggestions, but am not sure if this is a common diet.

Thank you!
These two concepts don't work in combination. Carbs are in vegs and fruits, there are LOTS of carbs in balsamic vinegar.

Anyway, in answer to your question, it looks like they're putting you on just any run-of-the-mill low fat, low calorie diet. I'd be eating the salmon and nuts, myself.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bigguy23
WOE: LFL
Start Date: July 21st 2013
Looks like a lower glycemic eating plan. Low in fat, high in protein and you're getting your carbs from fruits and veggies. The sugars in fruits burn much more efficiently in your body and tend to keep your blood sugar stable.

If you're eating non starchy veggies, they will be low enough in carbs. (Green veggies, mushrooms, red onion, etc.)

If you're attending 1-2 classes a day, your trainer wants you to eat some carbs so you have the energy to be able to perform at a decent level.

I guess no salmon because it's a fattier fish??? Nuts are high in calories too.

I would say it's a low glycemic. Google it and see if it matches up.
bigguy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
It's not a low carb diet. Maybe instead of "no carbs" they really mean "no starches". I agree with PP it looks kind of like a low glycemic index diet, but neither apples nor oranges seem especially "low glycemic" to me (both have a glycemic index around 40). Though both have a low glycemic load per serving. So maybe it's a low glycemic load diet.

ETA: BTW. However you may want to change your eating plan in your profile. It is not "no carbs".

Last edited by Mistizoom; 07-21-2013 at 09:56 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lola Bartez
Stats: 181/153/135-140? (5' 6")
WOE: ZC
Start Date: 22 June 2010
I think this is called an elimination diet
Lola Bartez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy23 View Post
Looks like a lower glycemic eating plan. Low in fat, high in protein and you're getting your carbs from fruits and veggies. The sugars in fruits burn much more efficiently in your body and tend to keep your blood sugar stable.
That is not true in general. It really depends on the fruit in question.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #8

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I am zero carb, I eat meat. Most low carb plans do not include much fruit. Maybe a few berries. We also never eat egg whites, always the entirevegg. Why throw out the healthiest part of the egg?
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy49 View Post
Hello all!

No carbs
No dairy
No beans
No alcohol
No salmon
No pork
No nuts

I'd be happy with my carb withdrawal on this too...since I doubt you're withdrawing from carbs with such high carb items as fruit and balsamic vinegar.

Not only is this not 'no' carb...there may be some doubt as to whether it's low if you're to eat *lots* of fruit.

My .02...sounds like the run of the mill 'diet'. I have no idea why you can't eat pork or salmon and the most nutritious part of the egg (the yolk) is being left out.

Unfortunately, many fitness people don't 'get' that you don't need carbs to give you the energy to work out...but it's hard to get people to keep an open mind.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Many people (not here on the boards, but out in the wide, wide world) call starches "carbs." My mom talks about going on her "no carb" diet to lose a few lbs. She eats plenty of vegetables, but no obvious completely carb foods like bread and potatoes.

What that diet looks like to me is very low fat, moderate carb, low glycemic index. The OP probably did have carb withdrawls depending on what she ate before.

You will certainly lose on it, especially with all that exercise, the issue will be health in the long term. People need fat to be healthy. Low fat can be a recipe for disaster in the long run.

7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won! 9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won! 12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K- I won!
2/7/15 - Together Love Run 5K, 3/22/15- She is Beautiful 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bigguy23
WOE: LFL
Start Date: July 21st 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
That is not true in general. It really depends on the fruit in question.
The fruits she has listed are lower in general. Oranges not included.
bigguy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Buffy49
Stats: 284/278/160
Start Date: July 17, 2013
Wow!!

Wow, thank you for all of your insight everyone. I am not knowledgable amount nutrition content and am going to research things more. I now realize that I may need to tweak this diet. You all really helped me and I am so appreciative!
Buffy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: exotec
Stats: 380/216/130
WOE: Primal lo-carb
Start Date: Sept 2007 :-(
I can't give your plan a name, either. Our endocrinologist put us on what he calls his "caveman diet," which is what he prescribes to all his diabetic patients (I'm not; my husband is T2; we're both on the same plan). On this diet, we're sternly warned away from fats. I feel this is simply an idiosyncrasy on the part of our doctor: he's still entrenched in the old paradigms about the "dangers" of fats. We politely agree to disagree. I eat plenty of fats. The healthy kinds, naturally.

Your dietary list here, which excludes salmon and nuts, sounds like your coach may also be under the same misconception. You've been directed away from any fat-containing foods. Salmon is a fatty fish; pork might be considered fatty (although I haven't seen any lately!). I'll bet you've been admonished to eat that boneless/skinless poultry, too! Don't throw out the egg yolks. That's where the nutrition is, and there has never been any good correlation between eggs and elevated cholesterol, so don't let them preach that at you. Go easy on the fruit: it's pretty high in sugar - and carbs are just complex sugars. As others have said, you simply can't be "no" carbs. There are plenty of carbs in veggies. You can be very low carb, but I don't know of any way to completely eliminate them!

You're right to be thinking about it. Do your research. There's lots of good info info out there!

And, while you're thinking - consider that you might want to reduce the intensity of your exercise until you're adapted to the new lifestyle. You'll probably find you may tire more easily at first, and your body will be asking for more salt (due to the way it's metabolized on a LC diet). If you get the lightheadedness some experience, I've heard it said that magnesium supplementation, in addition to the salt, will help. Start making bone broth part of your daily meals.

And best of health coming to you! It will work!

Last edited by exotec; 07-28-2013 at 05:40 PM..
exotec is offline   Reply With Quote