LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doxielove
Stats: 177.8/137.8/120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 07.08.13
Organic mayonnaise?

In an effort to improve my kidney (and general) health, I want to start eating as much organic as possible, and that means making my own salad dressing. I really don't want to make my own mayo (it seems too hard), but I don't know if there's such a thing as organic condiments! Would canola oil mayo be better than regular (I hate the olive oil kind)? Thanks!
doxielove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Canola oil is very unhealthy despite the marketing.

I have not found a single mayo on the market that contains only healthy ingredients.

Mayo is very easy to make (if you're not as lazy as me!) and there are lots of recipes here.

Grape seed oil is supposed to be good for mayo but I have not used it.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
I use red wine vinegar and olive oil for salad dressing. I believe it's healthier for you than a mayo based dressing. And organic oil and vinegar are available at most decent health food stores and even in many supermarkets.

Especially if you have arthritis, or any other joint problems, it's wise to limit your consumption of egg yolks, the arachidonic acid is inflammatory to your joints. We could save a lot of people from knee and hip replacement surgery if they were more careful with what they eat.

Another product that might be good for you is called "Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise Dairy-Free Mayo" and is made by a company called Vegenaise or "Follow Your Heart" - google that and see. I'm not a may fan, my wife is, and she thinks it's the closest thing to real mayo that she has tried (she gave up egg yolks because of arthritis).

Ingredients: (vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, non-gmo) Expeller-Pressed Grapeseed Oil, Filtered Water, Brown Rice Syrup, Apple Cider Vinegar, Soy Protein, Sea Salt, Mustard Flour, Lemon Juice Concentrate.

Of course, the egg thing might not be an issue with you.

Good luck,
Bobby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
The Veganaise stuff is pretty good.

Many of the recipes and videos and stuff on the internet make mayo look unnecessarily hard. If you have an immersion blender you plop all the ingredients in the cylindrical container that comes with it, put the blender in the bottom, turn it on and slowly pull up. It is done, easy peasy, in a matter of seconds.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Spectrum makes an organic canola based mayo. I will still buy that, or Hain's, rather than making my own, because I really use it very rarely.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid

Light olive oil works very well for this and can be found in organic form somewhat easily.
I think doing all organic is an awful lot of work, so I don't get non-organic olive oil.
I do make my own mayo, though, because for me, soy is not a good thing, and it's impossible to get non-soy commercial mayo in my area.

I focus on the dirty dozen for what I absolutely use organic for.

Last edited by emel; 07-21-2013 at 06:14 PM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I second Emel's post!

All the organic mayos that I've found were made with 'bad' oils. Some had weird ingredients (wheat syrup, what in heaven's name is wheat syrup???) in them that should not be in mayo at all. Organic does not always mean healthier...

I make mine in a blender cup with a stick blender. I have a lovely, creamy mayo within less than 30 seconds. I vary what I add to it so I can create flavoured mayos as well... You can add fresh herbs, spices or garlic, or even tuna! Really, once you've made it once yourself, you'll never go back to the commercial stuff!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
ok so I want to agree that store bought (even organic) sucks.. There are a ton of things in there we shouldn't eat.. (canola and soy oil are 2 off the list)
Just because something is organic doesn't mean its good for us..
Make your own.... There are a ton of oils that make great mayo...
Avocado oil is great...
Regular olive oil is great (not extra virgin, to strong in flavor)
If you can mix some oil with some bacon fat.. THIS IS AMAZING TOO!!!

Mimosa23 I HAVE TO STEAL YOUR AVATAR!!!! THAT IS HYSTERICALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Just adding: I like using either macadamia oil, avocado oil, light olive oil or a mixture of these. Sometimes I add bacon fat or expeller pressed coconut (the flavourless kind) to the mix. Using extra virgin olive oil would make the mayo way too bitter for my taste!

My favourite recipe:

1 egg, whole, raw, preferably from free range organic chickens
1TB white vinegar
1TB dijon mustard
salt to taste
pepper to taste
paprika to taste
oil: 1/2 cup avocado oil and 1/2 cup light olive oil
squeeze of fresh lemon juice

In a blender cup add the ingredients apart from the lemon juice in the order that I've listed. Now put your immersion/stick blender at the bottom of the cup and switch on. Wait three seconds. Slowly pull the stick blender to the top of the liquid, and watch how it turns into a lovely, thick emulsion. Switch off blender, remove. Now squeeze a few drops (to taste) of lemon juice into the emulsion, and mix with a spoon and scoop out into a container. Keeps up to 4-5 days in the fridge.

If you want to keep it for longer, make it cultured by adding a TB of whey (that you get from yogurt or kefir or so) to the mix. This will extend its shelf life to about 7-10 days.

Have fun experimenting!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Just adding: I like using either macadamia oil, avocado oil, light olive oil or a mixture of these. Sometimes I add bacon fat or expeller pressed coconut (the flavourless kind) to the mix. Using extra virgin olive oil would make the mayo way too bitter for my taste!

My favourite recipe:

1 egg, whole, raw, preferably from free range organic chickens
1TB white vinegar
1TB dijon mustard
salt to taste
pepper to taste
paprika to taste
oil: 1/2 cup avocado oil and 1/2 cup light olive oil
squeeze of fresh lemon juice

In a blender cup add the ingredients apart from the lemon juice in the order that I've listed. Now put your immersion/stick blender at the bottom of the cup and switch on. Wait three seconds. Slowly pull the stick blender to the top of the liquid, and watch how it turns into a lovely, thick emulsion. Switch off blender, remove. Now squeeze a few drops (to taste) of lemon juice into the emulsion, and mix with a spoon and scoop out into a container. Keeps up to 4-5 days in the fridge.

If you want to keep it for longer, make it cultured by adding a TB of whey (that you get from yogurt or kefir or so) to the mix. This will extend its shelf life to about 7-10 days.

Have fun experimenting!

Agree with the whey, and another thing you can do--- if you notice the tang disappearing from the mayo after a few days, add a couple tsp of fresh lemon juice. I used to use the yellow bottle of lemon juice from the freezer section, but fresh lemon works better and lasts longer. Vinegar works, too, or a mix of lemon and vinegar.

Doxie, tell us what your favorite dressings/condiments are, and maybe we can find some good recipes for you.

I noticed a typo in my first post. I meant to say that I don't get organic olive oil, I just use regular olive oil (light olive oil for mayo). I do eat organic for a lot of my veggies.

Last edited by emel; 07-22-2013 at 05:51 AM..
Old 07-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #11

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxielove View Post
In an effort to improve my kidney (and general) health, I want to start eating as much organic as possible, and that means making my own salad dressing. I really don't want to make my own mayo (it seems too hard), but I don't know if there's such a thing as organic condiments! Would canola oil mayo be better than regular (I hate the olive oil kind)? Thanks!
A dear friend gave me this recipe for homemade Ranch. She says it's very tasty. No carb or other macronutrient info available, but I'm sure if it's used sparingly, like in 2 tbsp. servings, it shouldn't be too carby at all.

Quote:
Ingredients

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1 tsp lemon juice

1 clove garlic - minced

2 Tbsp finely minced parsley

1.5 tsp salt

1/4 tsp mustard powder

1/4 tsp paprika

pinch of black pepper

1/4 cup heavy cream

Directions: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk. I added the heavy cream at the end to make it a bit thicker and less tangy. Mine started off a bit runny, but after setting in the fridge overnight, it thickened up a lot.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
The Veganaise stuff is pretty good.

Many of the recipes and videos and stuff on the internet make mayo look unnecessarily hard. If you have an immersion blender you plop all the ingredients in the cylindrical container that comes with it, put the blender in the bottom, turn it on and slowly pull up. It is done, easy peasy, in a matter of seconds.
Bless you! I've been avoiding making my own mayo for that reason alone. That pouring in tiny streams scared me, I thought the mayo will separate if I didn't do it right. I tossed my food processor a while ago because it was taking up too much space and I don't use it much, but have an immersion blender and will try to make some with some organic olive oil that I got from Costco.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Bless you! I've been avoiding making my own mayo for that reason alone. That pouring in tiny streams scared me, I thought the mayo will separate if I didn't do it right. I tossed my food processor a while ago because it was taking up too much space and I don't use it much, but have an immersion blender and will try to make some with some organic olive oil that I got from Costco.
I love olive oil, but regular olive oil for mayo is too hardcore for me.
I use light olive oil
Another idea is to use half regular olive oil and half high oleic safflower, or canola.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
I love olive oil, but regular olive oil for mayo is too hardcore for me.
I use light olive oil
Another idea is to use half regular olive oil and half high oleic safflower, or canola.
Thanks for the suggestion, Emel I've never made mayo but I just read above that EVOO may be too bitter. I need to dig out my avocado or walnut oil and try with that first.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Mayo with avocado oil is yummy!!!!!!

Let us know how it went!

ETA: yesterday evening I made mayo with light olive oil and added a pinch of paprika powder, fresh parsley, basil, majoram and lovage and a clove of garlic, and it turned out to be the best green coloured mayo I ever made! Tasted great on our BBQ'd pork chops!

Last edited by Mimosa23; 07-23-2013 at 10:54 PM..
Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Someone mentioned grape seed oil and it's not a great choice because its very high in inflammatory omega 6. I tried using high oleic sunflower oil and it was bitter, but I did get the technique down at least with a hand blender. Easy peasy.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: exotec
Stats: 380/216/130
WOE: Primal lo-carb
Start Date: Sept 2007 :-(
Yay for that video! I saw it before, but couldn't remember where. Like you, I was sorely put off with all the "add oil in a thin stream" thing. This method is ridiculously easy. The important points is to be sure your mixing container is barely larger than the head of your blender, and to not lift the blender from the bottom of the container until "it's mayo" ! From the explanation, the vortex created by the blender head on the bottom of the container pulls the oil down in that very thin stream. If you lift it, you break the stream and lose the mayo.

I would steer way clear of any of the processed or seed oils. Also remember that your mayo won't be jam-full of preservatives, so make it in small quantities and use it within a week or so. Experiment with flavors, too! I love it with dill or other herbs.

Take the plunge. You won't go back to the grocery stuff!
exotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
Homemade Mayonnaise in 2 Minutes or Less - YouTube

Light olive oil works very well for this and can be found in organic form somewhat easily.
I think doing all organic is an awful lot of work, so I don't get non-organic olive oil.
I do make my own mayo, though, because for me, soy is not a good thing, and it's impossible to get non-soy commercial mayo in my area.

I focus on the dirty dozen for what I absolutely use organic for.
Maybe somebody can help me out here. I followed the video exactly, but it didn't turn out as great as I hoped. The main problem was it didn't seem like I had enough egg yolk for a whole cup of oil. I think the emulsion was trying to form, but it was just too much oil. Should I add another egg yolk, or cut back on the oil? It got thick and creamy on the bottom, but then all of a sudden, as more oil was mixed in, it "broke" and got really thin. Any tips?
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
Maybe somebody can help me out here. I followed the video exactly, but it didn't turn out as great as I hoped. The main problem was it didn't seem like I had enough egg yolk for a whole cup of oil. I think the emulsion was trying to form, but it was just too much oil. Should I add another egg yolk, or cut back on the oil? It got thick and creamy on the bottom, but then all of a sudden, as more oil was mixed in, it "broke" and got really thin. Any tips?
Sometimes you can save a broken emulsion by starting over and using the broken emulsion in place of the oil in the recipe.

Either adding an egg or cutting back on the oil (to about 3/4 cup perhaps) can prevent breaking. I'm surprised yours broke. The recipe has never failed me.
You used a stick blender and made sure to keep the stick blender's blade on the bottom at first, and then kind of tilted it to the side of the cup as you steadily lifted the blade up towards the top? The whole process of blending should only take maybe 15-20 seconds. Overbeating might cause it to break, so you have to time the upward swing of the stick blender blade right.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Yep, that's what I did. I had a thick, creamy mayo but there was still a puddle of oil on the top. So I raised my stick blender to try and incorporate it, and next thing I know I've got a thin, runny mayo. So I guess I broke it. I tried to fix it with another egg yolk and it made it thicker, but not thick enough for mayo. So I tossed that and tried again and when I got the oil puddle, I just stopped and stirred it up the way it was. I guess I could have tried pouring off the excess oil. It still worked pretty good for my deviled eggs and no soybean oil, starches, thickeners, sugar, etc. So I'm still pleased with it.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/223/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
For my recipe that calls for one cup oil, I use a blend of refined coconut oil, light olive oil, and refined safflower oil. You also definitely need an immersion blender. It makes it fool proof.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
There's no substitute for home made mayo. YUM!

I'm also a fan of using half coconut oil (I use extra light olive oil for the other half. EVOO will give you bitter mayo.) it really helps it firm up in the fridge.

It's VERY important that all of your ingredients are room temperature and helpful if your vessel is only slightly larger than the immersion blender. A Bubbie's sauerkraut jar is perfect for my blender.

Last edited by MissBeeps; 08-26-2013 at 08:43 PM..
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 10Poppies
Stats: Size 16. Marching toward size 6.
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 3/25/13
Quote:
I'm also a fan of using half coconut oil (I use extra light olive oil for the other half. EVOO will give you bitter mayo.) it really helps it firm up in the fridge.

It's VERY important that all of your ingredients are room temperature and helpful if your vessel is only slightly larger than the immersion blender. A Bubbie's sauerkraut jar is perfect for my blender.
Great advice! This might be a dumb question, but has anyone ever tried using flax oil for home made mayo?
10Poppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I drank a tablespoon of flax one time....It will not happen a 2nd.

I don't think I'd advise using it in mayo. Maybe with enough vinegar and lemon juice to drown out the flavor of the oil, but still. Sooooo many better options for this application than flax, I think.