Old 07-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetSugaree
Stats: 250/207/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: RESTART- 5/13/13
Low Carb Friends...PLEASE HELP!! :(

Hi Everyone, I need help.
I am on a 5 week stall. My weight fluctuates between 220 to 217. I cannot get under 217 for the life of me. I have done Atkins before, and have never had this long of a stall. At first I thought it was something I was doing wrong, so I eliminated all of the little extras that can stall you, but no change. Two weeks ago because I am so desperate, I even eliminated dairy from my diet which has made me very unhappy.
I must point out that I have checked my thyroid, and I have been checked for diabetes, I do not have either.
I am at the point now where I am depressed and ready to try another WOE. I do not know what to do. A couple of months ago I stalled for two weeks, but I upped my good fiber veggies and I had a whoosh.
I am eating 20 net carbs or less a day.

My diet at this point is basically meat, egg and low carb veggies with an occasional very small amount of berries. <<<another thing upsetting me because I love berries and I had to eliminate them too.

I am depressed and unhappy. On a side note, something else I noticed is I am breaking out badly on my face. I have always had clear skin, so this is upsetting to me as well.

I just need help on what is going on here. Is Atkins maybe not the way for me to go with now that I am older? I am really at a loss and don't know what to do. I am so afraid I am going to binge soon. I have stayed strong for 5 weeks, but every day that passes it gets harder and harder.

I hope some of you have advice and have gone through this.
Thanks in advance,
Kimberly

Mini Goals
Goal #1
Reach 230 LBS- Goal Achieved 6/7/13
Goal#2
Reach 220 LBS- Goal Achieved 7/1/13
Goal #3
Reach ONEderland-
SweetSugaree is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
How many calories are you eating? How many grams of protein? Give us a sample of your daily menu. Hard to tell otherwise. I'm 57 and postmenopausal and I still lost on low carb, but not as easily as I did in my 20's.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I do not count calories, I have never had to on this diet.

But this is what my daily menu pretty much consists of:

Breakfast:
Usually a couple eggs and a couple of pieces of bacon or sausage.
Sometimes this is baked, fried or I hard boil.

Lunch:
A five ounce portion of almost always fish, baked or fried with a side of green beans, cauliflower or salad.

Dinner:
A five ounce portion of almost always baked chicken with again a side of green beans, cauliflower or salad.

I have pretty much cut everything else out. No dressings, sauces, nuts or berries which has left me depressed.
I use coconut oil to fry in or EVOO.

I am not a huge red meat eater, on occasion I will have some hamburger meat.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Going by your stats, you lost 33 lbs in 2 months?!? WTG!
If I were you, I would put away the scale, and add back the dairyx. You are never going to stick to something that's making you unhappy.
It will come off! Keep thinking about it as a life change. Easier said than done, I know, especially when you get on the scale every day.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I missed that...33 pounds in 2 months? Yeah...I'd just be patient. Your body is just trying to catch up (my guess). 5 oz of meat seems to be a lot in one meal. Perhaps the excess protein has kicked you out of ketosis?? I'd kick it down to 4 and see if that helps if you really don't want to just be patient and wait.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Hi Natalia,
I actually did stop weighing everyday and moved to once a week, because I was getting so depressed. My actual weight loss is 25lbs in two months. The other 8lbs I lost prior to my low carb adventure.
I do know this is a life change, but when you aren't seeing results it becomes depressing. I got fat from depression. I am what you call a binger and emotional eater.
I am just getting to the point where I feel this WOE is not for me anymore.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
@Sweet,
I totally get what you are saying, I am a binger too and pre-LC my whole life revolved around food. I always had a Dairy Milk with coconut and cashew in my bag. I love validation on the scale and am a slow loser.

I would encourage you to challenge the alternative. Do you thrive on low fat,low cal diets or do they make you crave more?
If you hadn't been on LC the past 2 months, do you think you would have list 33 lbs? More? Less?
Giving up because of stalls after such huge progress is counterintuitive .
Ask yourself, if it was only about health and personal satisfaction what your plan look like? More dairy? More berries? Something you can do long term ? Perhaps a modified south beach with no grains would be more up your alley. You could have dairy and berries daily. Would your cravings increase if your carbs went up and fat goes down? Only you know.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Everyone's different, but I don't think 5 ounces is a big portion of meat! I eat a lot more than that at dinner.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moss11
^^^^^^^. Totally agree with above and others! You really need to find a way of eating that is sustainable and enjoyable. You would only be punishing yourself by binging, and would you feel any better mentally afterwards than you do now. I think we all need to look at our eating plan as a manageable permanent WOE, not a temporary restriction. I myself am only recently coming round to this way of thinking. Its okay to be a bit over on macros/ calories now and then. It's okay to enjoy something off plan when out now and then. For me that means low carb is the norm and any deviation is just a temporary and in my case necessary (too much restriction would make me rebel) choice and back to norm. There are so many healthy tasty foods on low carb, wish I had known to replace the carbs with fat years ago! Good luck.
Moss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Your menu makes me think, where is the fat?

You have lost very well if you have lost 25lbs in something like a month as you have not been losing over this past one. It would be normal and even expected that your body will be trying to prevent further weight loss for a time. Up the fat, lower the protein a bit and be patient.

You say that you are thinking this is not the woe may not be for you anymore..... you will have to be the judge. It is good to consider though, that the way you are eating now to lose weight is very similar to the way you will have to eat to maintain your losses.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
Everyone's different, but I don't think 5 ounces is a big portion of meat! I eat a lot more than that at dinner.
Emily,
For some people it doesn't matter. For others it does. Excess protein can react like carbs do. What's excess? Dr. Bernstein and others believe 1-1.5gm of protein per kilo of *ideal* weight. I misread Bernstein and was doing 4 oz at my meals and ended up eating almost double what I should for my height and ideal weight.

So if someone is hitting a long stall, protein is one place to look assuming their carb count is truly coming in at below 25gm. If they're steadily losing, no worries.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
Me too... Like a 12 ounce ribeye at least once a week..... 5 ounces doesn't even put a dent in my appetite.

I have a buddy of mine who eats primal.... He has been known to eat 32 ounces of steak at one sitting..... And lose weight. I don't know how he can afford that woe, as he says he eats up to 10 pounds a week of meat and fish.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Sweetsugaree

Your accomplishments in two months are amazing. Natalia, Garlic and I are notorious slow losers and we have our own set of challenges. i think what keeps us going (correct me if I am wrong guys) is our desire to improve the health.

I would listen to the advice given to you by others and try.

Do not give up!
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Are you sure you are eating enough? It really doesn't sound like much. I agree with PP - what do you eat for fat? It might be good for you to track your macros and calories for a day or two to see what you are really eating.

Personally I am eating this way because I know it is the healthiest way of eating for me (I have insulin resistance and PCOS) and weight loss is secondary. Yes, I like losing weight, but since this is a lifetime WOE how fast I lose is irrelevant. And I would keep eating this way even if I stopped losing weight, it isn't an option for me to go back to high carb.

Losing 25 lbs. in two months is an amazing and your body is probably just playing catch-up. If you give up now you'll never know.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
My suggestion would be to use a tracker. I wasn't getting enough calories at one point, and I was afraid to add too much fat into my WOE. Once I figured out how many calories I needed, I am now comfortable adding fat in up to my calorie limit. I limit protein to under 100g per day and stay under 20 net carbs. No way can you get enough calories in when you stick with those parameters. It feels so nice to be able to drink a coffee with butter and cream and not feel guilty.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 50+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
Ode to the Whoosh Fairy

Now I lay me down to sleep
A cup of Splenda at my feet!
I'll be good and drink my water--
Leave the grape juice for my daughter.
I promise to eat all my eggs,
So take these bulges from my legs!
I'll eat my pork--I'll eat a steer--
Just smooth these bumps off of my rear!
I'll never even look at jelly,
Pease take the blub out of my belly.
These lips will never taste a sweet,
(Oh if I could only see my feet!)
So, please, tonite before I wake,
A few more pounds--Whoosh Fairy--take!

Orignally posted by Chris G who was stalled at 167#'s
1). Enjoy being a Grandmother
2). 50+ days minimum downhill skiing every season
3). more marathons (26.2 miles)
4). sitting on the deck overlooking a creek and meadow at our ski condo.
5). GO UCLA - BEAT USC
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
LOL, love the "Ode to the Whoosh Fairy!!! Thanks for sharing.

I would agree w/what others here have said. It would be good for you to be aware of your daily calorie count, as you may not be eating enough. Also, yes, some more fat seems indicated. Have you ever tried Bullet Proof coffee or fat bombs? If you don't like red meats that much, chicken with skin on, spare ribs, brats, and sausages are good choices of fatty meat, as well as less lean hamburger.

And the other thing I definitely agree with others here about is that you are depriving yourself into unhappiness. This will never work. I'd add dairy back in, as well as not taking your berries away or being too stingy with them. To me, your woe looks pretty restrictive and w/out the variety I would need to maintain.

Didn't Atkins say it wasn't a stall till 6 weeks had passed w/out weight loss? You're close, but not there yet, and even then, it's just a stall, not the end of your loss. I've read many here state they've gone for a couple of months w/out losing and then see the scale start to move down again.

I think your number one priority is to be happier on this woe, and that means not being so restrictive w/it,---maybe up your carbs to 30 or less a day, and backing off of scale focus and weight focus for awhile. Track your carbs and calories without judgement or fear or preconceived ideas and see what happens.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Sharon,
LOL.... That poem made me smile.

A couple of my friends who are trainers looked at my menu and think I need more protein and fat. I am going to try it for a week, up the protein and fat intake. Hopefully it works.

Thanks to all who answered, your words of advice and inspiration are greatly appreciated and were very helpful to me.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSugaree View Post
Sharon,
LOL.... That poem made me smile.

A couple of my friends who are trainers looked at my menu and think I need more protein and fat. I am going to try it for a week, up the protein and fat intake. Hopefully it works.

Thanks to all who answered, your words of advice and inspiration are greatly appreciated and were very helpful to me.
Good to hear! As Scarlett Ohara once famously said, "Tomorrow's another day." And that gal had some gumption! Persistence almost always wins the day. I think you don't want to give up, and that's why you were here today.
Excellent. So good to know when we need help and support in a down period. When we reach out, all kinds of good things happen.

One other thing I wanted to note, salad dressings are a great way to up your fat, so again, I was a bit surprised you'd cut them out. The only caveat is too many store dressings add sugar where it is not needed. I make all my own dressings, from vinegarettes, to Blue cheese, to Buttermilk Ranch to French and Thousand Island. And with a little help from Splenda for the French, and reduced sugar Ketchup for the Thousand Island, my dressings are better than anything store bought, easy to whip up, and have nary a carb to count, but plenty of fat. And so good not only on a salad, but on all veggies, or just to dip into with a stalk of celery.

Sometimes I think people don't think about how much variety you can bring to a LC woe with JUST salads---so many possible combinations!
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doxielove
Stats: 177.8/145.4/120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 07.08.13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Good to hear! As Scarlett Ohara once famously said, "Tomorrow's another day." And that gal had some gumption! Persistence almost always wins the day. I think you don't want to give up, and that's why you were here today.
Excellent. So good to know when we need help and support in a down period. When we reach out, all kinds of good things happen.

One other thing I wanted to note, salad dressings are a great way to up your fat, so again, I was a bit surprised you'd cut them out. The only caveat is too many store dressings add sugar where it is not needed. I make all my own dressings, from vinegarettes, to Blue cheese, to Buttermilk Ranch to French and Thousand Island. And with a little help from Splenda for the French, and reduced sugar Ketchup for the Thousand Island, my dressings are better than anything store bought, easy to whip up, and have nary a carb to count, but plenty of fat. And so good not only on a salad, but on all veggies, or just to dip into with a stalk of celery.

Sometimes I think people don't think about how much variety you can bring to a LC woe with JUST salads---so many possible combinations!
ANy chance you would share those dressing recipes?!
doxielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
SweetSug, remember too that you can be losing inches even if not pounds.
Are your clothes looser? I am among the slow weight losers, much slower than you, but I am down at least a clothing size and I'll take it. Damn the scale, full speed ahead!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #22
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I quickly lose weight.. then my body bounces around a couple of pounds for MONTHS!
So just be patient... I think our bodys woosh away the fat/water then you like need to catch up to it.. It all ends up evening its self out. Even at lower weights I can lose 7-10lbs in a week or 2.. then I get stuck for MONTHS! Like before breaking into the 140s I was in the 150s for 6 months.. my body just wouldn't let me get under 150lbs even with fat fasting.. Then it finally let go and I have been hovering around 141-144lbs even eating low carb, little to no carbs, fat fasting etc.. I just have come to conclusion as long as I keep plugging on and keep at it eventually my body will give it up.. BUTTTTTTTTTT My body will not give it up if I don't stick to it!
Fit into my Guess Black Skinny Jeans
"i may pause, but I don't stop"
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Kimberly, I agree with some of the posters above - up the fat, not necessarily the protein. 25 lbs in two months is an amazing amount of weight loss in a short period of time.

Breakouts make me think you may have either become allergic to something you've been eating frequently (seems you eat pretty much the same thing day in and day out), or you need to drink lots of water to flush out the toxins that are released in your body when the fat is being "burned off".

Hang in there, up the fat and water! You can do it!

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,500....and over 3,000,000 steps
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote