Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
How much variety do you have in your LC diet?

I have seen a few people here who are very happy with limiting themselves to a very short list of foods. I could never do that unless I had to. Personally I try to not have the same thing more than 3x a week for any given meal now....

Like I will eat eggs 3x a week, but not 3x a week for breakfast...

And I look EVERY DAY at low carb recipes on the internet to see what I want to make for dinner that day.... I don't want to be bored eating the same old, same old.... the bad part is I go shopping at least 4x a week. That gets rather tiresome. Thankfully the grocery store is less than 3 miles away.

But for me, it is almost all about variety. How about you?
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
No variety here. Years ago I was very much into trying out LC recipes and making special meals, but I wasn't losing then. I think for me this works a lot better if I divorce myself from food.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
It used to be about variety. Now I eat eggs for breakfast every day and I like it as thereis 100s of ways I can prepare them. I get fits of culinary creativity but mostly around the same basics. I do look for more nutritional variety though to repair the effects of years of malnutrition Latest addition to the arsenal are fish, algi,sesame seeds, poppy seeds and sauerkraut- Next week fermented sour bamboo shoots .
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I love to cook...love to try out new recipes and, before low carbing or when not low carbing, I probably wouldn't repeat a meal in a 30 month period. I collect cookbooks (and read them) like some people do regular books...or shoes.

I still try to find ways to make my husband and son's meals more varied than mine with things that won't tempt me. For example, they both love lentil salad and use it as a side dish instead of my ever present salad. I grilled corn on the cob to go with their steaks last night. I ate a chef's salad with a bit of ham, egg and cheese to keep my protein grams down. Could have done it with the steak but, seriously, who could be content with just 2 oz of steak?

Breakfast never varies for me because I find the 2 eggs and 1/2 ounce bacon keeps me going without hunger and plenty of energy until lunch. Lunch is usually a salad with protein and full fat dressing or deviled eggs and a smaller salad (just romaine) and dressing...again because the fat and eggs keep me going and the lettuce fills me up. I probably vary dinner more than the other 2 meals, choosing a different kind of protein and/or how it's cooked along with a bigger variety of vegies.

To be honest, though, I don't miss the extreme variety. My meals are varied enough that I enjoy them, but they're no longer my entertainment.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I don't have a lot of variety because I would rather be just about anywhere other than the kitchen!

I live alone and eat simply, very few processed foods. I rarely make anything that requires following a recipe.

I am actively working to add more healthy veggies more often - things like kale.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Ditto what you said, I'm constantly checking blogs and I'm subscribed to umpteen million you tube cooking channels, I feel like it's a second job, LOL! But I get so bored easily when it comes to food that if I don't change it up I won't stick to it. And my tip would be, if you ard not already doing this, don't limit your search to include low carb, most of my favorite recipes have been one's I found that were regular recipes.

I also think if you allow yourself some "give" when it comes to ingredients that you'll be much happier with results - I love Asian food and you just can't get around the cornstarch - you need it if you want good authentic results, so I use no more than a few TBSP at a time which only adds a few carbs per serving - totally worth it. So yea,h I'm definitely NOT one of those happy on a short list of foods
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
No variety for breakfast & lunch , it's a recipe for disaster. The more automatic and second nature I can make it, the better.
I get my variety at supper. Even then I have periods where I want the same thing, right now it's Caesar salad, no croutons. But supper is where I will indulge my cravings (LC pizza, spaghetti squash, a great grilling steak, Big Mac in a bowl, etc.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dede66
Stats: 168/ 167/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 6/12/06
i LOVE that expression............divorce myself from food! I NEED to do this too........just stop loving it,,,,,,,,,,just get over it. lol Rubidoux
Dede66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RhondaC
Stats: 5'9" 240.5/227.8/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/1/14
I eat basically the same things every day, but I try to prepare them different. Breakfast eggs are hard boiled, or sometimes fried. Or scrambled with cheese. Sometimes I skip eggs and have a cheese stick with a slice of deli meat.

Lunch is usually a salad, but sometimes it's Caesar, sometimes chef with blue cheese, sometimes greek with feta and olives.

Dinner is meat and veggies--sometimes steak with broccoli, sometimes pork chops and Brussels sprouts, sometimes chicken with zucchini. Etc.

My snacks are cheese, coffee with HWC, a pickle, piece of sf chocolate. (But not all at the same time, lol)

Last edited by RhondaC; 07-21-2013 at 12:16 PM..
RhondaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
My menu is a little more varied in the winter, but the heat, coupled with the fact that I don't like to cook leads to pretty much the same things most days in the summer.
Breakfast is a couple of eggs scrambled or fried, sausage, maybe a little cheese. I like bacon but can't deal with the grease.
Lunch is either a big salad with grilled chicken or HB egg, tomatoes & cukes, or tuna with HB egg, mayo, mustard wrapped up in lettuce.
Dinner is usually something thrown on the grill-steak, chops or chicken.

In the winter I'll make chili, creamy nacho soup, or a some kind of crustless quiche.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I'm with you Garlic, and others on this post who need variety in their woe. Last time I did LC, years ago, I didn't pay attention to that, ate the same old things over and over till I slid right off the wagon out of sheer boredom.

I've done it much differently this time, and it's really working for me. Not a big or particularly good cook, but have tried several recipes, thrown most of them out, but the gems remain and I add to them by trial and error.

Also, finding good LC alternatives to things I love has been a huge help for me in maintaing. My deprivation level this time around on a scale of one to ten, is about 1 or 2, and only on the occasional bad day.

And as I feel sated by enough variety, an odd thing happens. I care a lot less about food in a way that works for me. I enjoy what I eat, don't obsess about what I'm not eating. The variety and lack of deprivation keeps me from compulsive thoughts about what I can't eat.

And, I rarely want seconds anymore. Because while I LIKE my low carb foods, I don't LOVE them the way I loved, and was addicted to, carbs.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Cat View Post
I like bacon but can't deal with the grease.
Crazy Cat, do you mean you can't deal with the mess of the grease, or bacon is just too greasy for you? Because if it's the mess, try baking your bacon. Tin foil on a baking pan with edges. I crumple and smooth to allow air pockets under bacon. You can do 2 strips or 8, however big your pan is. It's no mess at all, just throw away greasy tin foil when done, and pan is hardly touched. The bacon gets more evenly cooked and easy to do it to perfect crispness. Bacon doesn't get all curled up this way either.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
So for me, this is my lifestyle and my lifestyle is all about food. I write about it, develop recipes, etc. So I'm pretty fixated on it. But low carb is just the way I cook and think about food now. You know? I just want a variety of low carb whole foods! And a few excellent condiments that are convenience food!

So I treat making tempting dishes (usually non-sweet because gelatin seems to take care of that for us) as part of my job and part of my passion. We have tons of variety! I cook a 4 person dish and put stuff away for nites when I'm exhausted and don't have energy. Or I make a "base" protein then morph it into so many different dishes during the week. For me though, variety doesn't equate to temptation...it may just be eating lots of different veggies or lots of different salads or a different protein preparation.

During the week, they are simple by necessity. Usually a yummy grilled meat with some kind of homemade spice blend and some kind of veg and a salad. Easy peasy. Weekends I get more creative!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I don't have that much variety, but I am happy with what I do eat.
Like a lot of posters, breakfast is least variable. Eggs, maybe a breakfast meat, rarely a bit of cheese, and coffee with HWC/CO and or butter. I never get tired of this. I look forward to it every morning. My other meals have more variety (I add my veggies) but really simple is suiting me. My husband and I tend to eat our own separate ways, but he grills a mean salmon which we both enjoy. I think it would be much more difficult if my children were still at home. .

Last edited by Patience; 07-21-2013 at 03:35 PM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't know how to answer. I eat only foods on the induction list, minus the many foods I'm allergic to, which some may find limited, but I don't. I have a varied food repertoire, and enjoy cooking different things and a lot of different spices.

I live alone and quite often cook large portions and then eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch, dinner, for several days in a row. I just cooked a large pork roast, for example, and will eat it with different veggies for the next week or so. I also often have a burger, with different toppings or sides, for every meal for several days in a row.

That said, I might go weeks or longer without eating pork after this roast. Depends on how I feel. I roll with it.

I'm definitely not bored by my food.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I literally eat the exact same thing everyday. But, before lc I was the same way. I ate the same thing everyday. I would go months at a time eating only cereal.
I love eating. But, I love my burgers. I look forward to them at each meal.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Crazy Cat, do you mean you can't deal with the mess of the grease, or bacon is just too greasy for you? Because if it's the mess, try baking your bacon. Tin foil on a baking pan with edges. I crumple and smooth to allow air pockets under bacon. You can do 2 strips or 8, however big your pan is. It's no mess at all, just throw away greasy tin foil when done, and pan is hardly touched. The bacon gets more evenly cooked and easy to do it to perfect crispness. Bacon doesn't get all curled up this way either.
Thanks, Blue Skies-I might try that in the winter. It's way too hot right now to use the oven.
Crazy Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Like several others, I stick with the same foods. Mainly those allowed on Atkins Induction (since I'm doing on-going induction which has mainly been for a good while Meat&Eggs). I usually alternate from ground beef one week to chicken the next. I do not eat them daily, but 2 or 3x a week I incorporate veggies, mainly a cup of green beans at a meal. Not a big veggie fan here.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I stick with the foods in Atkins induction minus the cheese.
I eat at least 12 net carbs from the same veggies every day: A combination of Romaine Lettuce, Spinach, Broccoli, Cauliflower.
i am a person who needs structure and routine. So, I eat pretty much the same everyday with little variations except one day on the weekend that I go to get a steak.
It works for me...

Last edited by thatphdguy; 07-21-2013 at 05:54 PM..
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
When I am on plan, (which has been a bit intermittent lately, ) I generally stick to the same foods and like Ntombi, I will make a bit batch of something and eat on it for a few days.

There is nothing at all, I like about the shopping and prepping for meals, I only like the eating part So if I'm whipping out ingredients and pots and pans, I cook a lot, so I don't have to do it again for a few days.
Oh and I live alone too, thank gawd
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I can eaat the same thing for days too. I don't think that works as well for people with families.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 07-21-2013 at 07:01 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
Start Date: April 2013 restart
I eat basically the same things. I would say 13 out of 14 days I just eat because I have to...loving that lol, so it doesn't really matter what it is.
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #23

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Weekdays I'm in a rut I guess but I'm fine with it.

B- burger patty or sausage and eggs or cottage cheese, rarely bacon and eggs
L- salad or veggie strips but I vary the choices. protein almost always chicken, burger, steak, pork, eggs.
D- I plan out a week of dinners and we rarely eat the same thing twice in a row.
LC meatloaf, steak, burger, pork chop, chicken thighs. Salad, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, summer squash, asparagus, mushrooms, onions, bok choy, chard, spinach.

Weekends are wild cards.
bacon-wrapped poppers, hot wings, fish, shellfish, cheese, redneck surf-and-turf (he orders a steak,I get a fish dish and we split them), LC recipes, ribs or other bbq'd meat.
Cold home-cooked meat w/cheese and veggie strips. Lots of shellfish-- clams lately, but oysters with hot sauce and butter is a favorite. Sashimi. Lamb. Pork BBQ.
Veggie dishes from Linda Sue's site or similar (more goop and cheese than our usual), spaghetti squash,pesto, bloody marys, pickle/olive trays.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Weekdays I eat the same thing, and weekends are when I have time and energy to try new things.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Oh my word, I don't think I could ever eat the same thing even 2-3 days in a row for eery meal, no matter HOW MUCH i liked it !!

I have to have variety ! I work 6 days in a row and then I am off a week, so I cook several meals on Sun and Mon with about 3 meats ( or meat dishes ) and several veggies so DH and I have lots of foods already prepared during our work week. And I still supplement with salad, deli meat, cheese, pickles, greek yogurt etc....... I just love all kinds of food and enjoy cooking so much it's not funny ! I could go to the store every day too... but I live too far to do that ;/

Enjoying hearing how everyone else makes this WOE work for them

Laura's Low Carb Life Continues......

ATTITUDE is the difference between an ordeal and an ADVENTURE !!

'If you're tired of starting over, then QUIT stopping !"
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jleighs
Stats: 175/127/125
I stick to the same basic list of foods for the most part, but I create new recipes with those foods all the time, so I guess that means I have a lot of variety. I absolutely need variety or I won't stick to this. It helps that I very much enjoy cooking and that I'm very creative in the kitchen. The one thing I will not do is create low-carb substitutes for the carby foods I used to enjoy (like breads, etc).
Jleighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #27

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
For me, "variety" means buying a lot of broccoli one week, asparagus the next week, or eating more fish one week and more chicken the next. It's not at all about flavors and recipes and ideas and "not being bored".

I think more people could stand to explore the wide world of allowing food to be "boring". I say the word "boring" somewhat tongue-in-cheek, because I am not advocating a baseline of dissatisfaction and tedium. I'm just saying, food doesn't need to be perking our interest and exciting us every single day of the week, and I think a lot of us became overweight because we allowed food to be too interesting and engaging and entertaining.

I know that a lot of people feel they need variety in their diet, but what if we looked at other areas of life through that same lens. We choose to be in monogamous relationships with people who, let's face it, may or may not continue to be as attractive and romantically interesting as they were when we first were dating them--but we choose to remain faithful and not pursue a need for "variety" in that arena. We see other ways in which our spouses are irreplaceable and valuable. That's the lens of maturity and self-awareness.

I see all kinds of things in life from which we don't expect or demand variety, excitement, novelty and titillation. I wonder why we seem to expect food to be an exception to this. If you really think about it, it's kind of mind-blowing.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 322/306/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
No variety what so ever. I'm the only one in the house on lc, although it wouldn't hurt th rest of them!! Once in a blue moon I will make a lc casserole of some sorts, 4 days later I'm still eating it.
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #29

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
On second thought--I realize what I said might come off as lofty. I sincerely don't mean it that way; it has just been an important way for me to rethink the role food plays in my life. If it resonates with someone else--great. If not, nothing negative was intended.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #30
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
First time doing LC I made all kinds of stuff, and even developed a few good recipes, subbing lots of LC stuff for HC stuff. I ate way too much LC foods and never got to that appetite suppression that everyone always talked about.

This time around I am keeping it VERY simple; meat, nuts, dairy/eggs, and veggies. I'm not even using sweetener of any kind and avoiding things that have sweeteners in them. AND I've got that appetite suppression by the ton now!

Not much of a variety but by keeping it simple I'm conquering my binging, feeling great and losing weight! Maybe when I get to my goal weight I may have a snack here or there, but I will never eat LC snacks to the degree I did the first time around. I like simple and clean, it's working well for me!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote