Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   New to Atkins (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/808374-new-atkins.html)

Simple191 07-20-2013 07:46 AM

New to Atkins

Today is my 5th day on the Atkins diet. I've not lost any weight so far (& thankfully not gained).
I'm using the ketone strips & right now I'm not at the deepest purple, but the one next to it.
I had a huge pop addiction & weaning off from it has been challenging, but I've not had any since I've started. Symptoms the first couple days were headache & slightly tired. But got worse with being cold & then sweaty. Literally the only thing helping the weaning has been water with lemon! Helps so much.
It'd be nice to hear your guys thoughts on me not losing any weight so far & hear your encouraging words of support. Thank you.

handbells 07-20-2013 08:07 AM

Welcome Simple191!

I recently gave up all soda myself. Good for you for sticking with it! I know it's hard!

srmil30 07-21-2013 04:50 AM

:welcome: Simple191.
I know it is hard giving up soda. I am working on giving up my diet coke habit. I swear they must put "crack" in it because it is so hard to stay away from.

Aomiel 07-21-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple191 (Post 16523458)
Today is my 5th day on the Atkins diet. I've not lost any weight so far (& thankfully not gained).
I'm using the ketone strips & right now I'm not at the deepest purple, but the one next to it.
I had a huge pop addiction & weaning off from it has been challenging, but I've not had any since I've started. Symptoms the first couple days were headache & slightly tired. But got worse with being cold & then sweaty. Literally the only thing helping the weaning has been water with lemon! Helps so much.
It'd be nice to hear your guys thoughts on me not losing any weight so far & hear your encouraging words of support. Thank you.

Hang in there. For right now, while going through induction, don't stress about losing weight. Your body is going through some serious changes just adjusting to the lower carbs!

I'd advise getting rid of the ketostix. They are a *very* inaccurate measure of whether you're in ketosis. They more accurately reflect whether you should be drinking more water. If I drink my 64 fl oz (which I do), my ketostix never turn purple and I'm always in ketosis because my carbs are always less than 25 and I only eat non-starchy vegies as my carbs.

I also used to *love* drinking diet pop, but at some point I realized that the taste of the AS still kept those cravings alive...and I wasn't really after the pop, it turns out. I was after the carbonation. Now I buy the Faygo carbonated water (pink grapefruit)...no AS and no carbs...when I need my carbonation fix. Which, interestingly, is almost nonexistent after 6.5months of being completely low carb/induction level.

Be patient...just focus on induction and getting the carbs out of your system. The weight loss will come later if it doesn't right now. :)