Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Black bean noodles (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/808328-black-bean-noodles.html)

brimmy 07-19-2013 02:08 PM

Black bean noodles
 
Not sure if this has been brought up before since it's not easy to search for "black bean". Anyway, these products on netrition: Explore Asian Organic Black Bean Spaghetti
show as 17 carbs, and 12 grams of fiber, then netrition does its thing where it shows net carbs by subtracting them out.

HOWEVER I emailed Explore Asian about the noodles and inquired if their nutrition label was similar to UK where the fiber count was already subtracted from the carb count on the label. They emailed me back and said that yes this was the case. Which means the NET CARB count is ACTUALLY 17, not 5. Has anyone confirmed anything to the contrary?

pooticus 07-19-2013 02:21 PM

Wow! That so makes sense! We couldn't figure out why non-soy, black bean pasta could be so low?!

brimmy 07-19-2013 02:29 PM

Yeah sadly I have 3 packages in my cabinet right now. Eh, even at 17 carbs, when I'm closer to my goal weight I can eat them for the higher protein content, and they'll still be lower carb than normal pasta.

ouizoid 07-19-2013 03:22 PM

I hate that. Netrition has them, and has them listed as 5 net carbs--so that needs correcting.

ravenrose 07-19-2013 03:53 PM

thanks, brimmy

netrition works hard to have the right info, I am sure, but we have the strongest motivation not to believe it when it's too good to be true. they can't be querying every manufacturer all the time!

we have to keep vigilant on all labels. there are a LOT of misleading labels out there.

please don't blame netrition for this.

Natalia 07-19-2013 05:03 PM

I was wondering the same about my chia. My chia wrapper says 2 net carbs per 1/4 cup, but someone else said 2tsp had 2net carbs. That's a big difference!!

brimmy 07-19-2013 05:37 PM

Oh i certainly don't blame Netrition at all. In fact i used the link to report the inaccuracy. I just wanted inform people.

rubidoux 07-19-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalia (Post 16522825)
I was wondering the same about my chia. My chia wrapper says 2 net carbs per 1/4 cup, but someone else said 2tsp had 2net carbs. That's a big difference!!

Is it really 1 net carb per teaspoon? I thought it was tablespoon, too.

Natalia 07-19-2013 06:41 PM

Everywhere I've looked, it's been 1net per 2T. It was someone on LCF who said it was per tsp. sure hope they were mistaken.

Kathy 07-19-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brimmy (Post 16522608)
Not sure if this has been brought up before since it's not easy to search for "black bean". Anyway, these products on netrition: Explore Asian Organic Black Bean Spaghetti
show as 17 carbs, and 12 grams of fiber, then netrition does its thing where it shows net carbs by subtracting them out.

HOWEVER I emailed Explore Asian about the noodles and inquired if their nutrition label was similar to UK where the fiber count was already subtracted from the carb count on the label. They emailed me back and said that yes this was the case. Which means the NET CARB count is ACTUALLY 17, not 5. Has anyone confirmed anything to the contrary?

Thank you for pointing this out! Based on your comment, Netrition's president looked into this and confirmed the net carbs were incorrect. The Nutrition Facts on Netrition's site have now been updated to reflect 17 net carbs.

ouizoid 07-19-2013 08:42 PM

thanks Kathy--

brimmy 07-19-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy (Post 16523078)
Thank you for pointing this out! Based on your comment, Netrition's president looked into this and confirmed the net carbs were incorrect. The Nutrition Facts on Netrition's site have now been updated to reflect 17 net carbs.

You're awesome, thanks! Still not bad carb count and lots of protein on the noodles if they taste as good as people say! Would be fantastic as a pasta substitute once someone is at their goal weight.

pooticus 07-20-2013 05:36 AM

Thanks Kathy!

brimmy, could you take half a serving and mix it with other noodles shiritaki or even zucchini noodles to bulk the serving back up without adding a bunch of carbs?

ouizoid 07-20-2013 07:15 AM

such a great idea Pooti--I have a ton of these noodles, and they are a big shot of protein. one ounce mixed with shiritaki would be awesome!

Taxbane 07-20-2013 09:12 AM

Too good to be true after all.

Looking at my package it makes sense though since a 2.0z (56g) gram portion less 2g of fat, less 25g protein = 29 Grams Total Carbs. Then you subtract out Fiber of 12 g which leaves you with Net Carbs of 17 Grams.

My lesson I learned from this is when in doubt about the package's claims: Just subtract the Fat and Protein Grams from the Total Serving size grams first. What you have left is the Total Carbs which should match the Total Carbs claimed.

If it doesn't match, then most likely the manufacturer has already subtracted the Fiber from Total Carbs (following Non-US labeling). Why in the world, the manufacture would then "indent" Fiber under Total Carbs is beyond me (well I suspect why at least).

Thanks Brimmy for doing the homework on this one!

brimmy 07-20-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxbane (Post 16523576)
Too good to be true after all.

Thanks Brimmy for doing the homework on this one!

My pleasure. I've come to be suspicious of any carb count when the product is made outside the US (The US as far as I know never subtracts fiber from carbs in the total carb count) and tastes almost too good to be true.


Quote:

Originally Posted by pooticus
brimmy, could you take half a serving and mix it with other noodles shiritaki or even zucchini noodles to bulk the serving back up without adding a bunch of carbs?

Not a bad idea! Might give it shot sometime.

pooticus 07-20-2013 10:12 PM

I must confess to doing this with Dreamfield's pasta when I absolutely MUST have pasta. I will take 1oz serving and bulk it out with both shiritaki and zucchini noodles. Then split it between Denny (my sweetheart) and I. So we really only have 1/2oz serving. It doesn't kill my blood sugar like eating a whole 2oz serving.

Also, Nasoya has started making soy-free shiritaki noodles using garbanzo bean flour and potato starch that is (if memory serves) about 20cals/serving and 4g of net carbs? According to my friend Judy Barnes Baker, it tastes a lot like real pasta (in texture). I need to find them and order to see how they are.

Taxbane 07-21-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooticus (Post 16524346)
Also, Nasoya has started making soy-free shiritaki noodles using garbanzo bean flour and potato starch that is (if memory serves) about 20cals/serving and 4g of net carbs? According to my friend Judy Barnes Baker, it tastes a lot like real pasta (in texture). I need to find them and order to see how they are.

If the nutrition facts are true I would try this stuff.
(113g p/serving: 0 Fat, 4 Carbs, 3 Fiber, 1 Protein. What is the other 105g? water, calcium hydroxide, and folic acid?)

Regardless, I will see if netrition.com has them the next time I place an order. (Hint - Hint). :)

Divabunny 07-21-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooticus (Post 16524346)
I must confess to doing this with Dreamfield's pasta when I absolutely MUST have pasta. I will take 1oz serving and bulk it out with both shiritaki and zucchini noodles. Then split it between Denny (my sweetheart) and I. So we really only have 1/2oz serving. It doesn't kill my blood sugar like eating a whole 2oz serving.

Also, Nasoya has started making soy-free shiritaki noodles using garbanzo bean flour and potato starch that is (if memory serves) about 20cals/serving and 4g of net carbs? According to my friend Judy Barnes Baker, it tastes a lot like real pasta (in texture). I need to find them and order to see how they are.

I use the soy free noodles, they are slightly better than the soy ones texture wise, but you wouldn't be able to fool anyone into thinking this is real pasta unfortunately - Still has that rubbery bite.

I'm glad you posted about this OP because I had this product on my list for my next netrition order.

rich1369 07-22-2013 06:22 PM

Well, I'm eating some of these noodles as I post this...

Don't worry about the carbs, you may not be able to eat enough of them for it to matter. Maybe I didn't make them right but they're not so great.

CindyCRNA 07-23-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich1369 (Post 16526937)
Well, I'm eating some of these noodles as I post this...

Don't worry about the carbs, you may not be able to eat enough of them for it to matter. Maybe I didn't make them right but they're not so great.

I found this to be true also.

Barbo 08-17-2013 07:54 PM

Please tell me??
 
Are black bean noodles gaseous?? Black beans ARE!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 PM.