Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoeJett
Forgive me for my anger

I know this is all discussed in a thousand different places on this forum. I know it because my specific Google searches always lead me to this site. But now it's my turn to stand on the bridge and threaten to jump and hopefully someone will talk me down.

Have been on next to no carbs for 2.5 weeks. Didn't weigh myself when I started. However, the last time I weighed myself before that (months earlier) I was 217.

A week after starting my diet I was at 211. Wow, I'm thinking, this really works! After all, my brother-in-law who fought with weight all his life did this diet and swore by it. He said he averaged 2-4 pounds per week. Everyone in the family couldn't believe how good he looked.

The following week, no more weight loss. In fact, I gained a pound or two. I Googled my concern. I was lead here. I learned that the initial weight loss is just water loss. Okay, I'm thinking, this won't be as easy as I thought.

A few days ago I buy the ketone strips. First check indicates trace amounts of ketones. The next day, negative. Negative later in the day. Negative the next day, and so on. Then one day, moderate. Followed by negative, negative, negative. I Googled my concern. I was lead here. I learned not to trust ketone strips.

I weight myself at the same time very day. This stall has been lasting for two weeks. NO more loss after that initial (assumed) loss from 217 to 211. At the moment I'm hovering between 213 and 214.

I haven't cheated AT ALL. Sweets don't tempt me. Never have. My weakness has always been breads (pizza, pasta, burgers). I haven't eaten any of it for 2.5 weeks. My diet consists of eggs, bacon, chicken, pork, pepperoni, cheese, Brussels sprouts and asparagus. The only flavoring I use is buffalo sauce which I believe is low or no carb. My girlfriend also seasons the meat with some tangy but no/low-carb concoction from her garden and spice cabinet. Two and a half weeks of this and a net weight GAIN from my first test.

I drink Diet Mountain Dew. My girlfriend told me I'm tricking my body into thinking it's getting carbs. This could be what's jeopardizing my diet. I searched Google. The consensus on diet soft drinks seems to be 50-50. Some think it hurts a low carb diet, others think it makes little difference. But the one thing most people agree on is that aspartame is terrible for you, diet or no diet. I quit the Dew for a day. Ketone strips still read negative and the lack of sweet-tasting carbonation made me what to die. Honestly. I went into a pretty bad depression without it. Girlfriend made me a strong coffee, black. It made me feel worse.

And finally, the measuring tape. She measured me on 7/16 and showed 44.25 inches. She measured me last night and showed 44. "You should be happy!" she exclaimed. No, I wasn't happy. I don't trust the scientific nature of such a tests, at least not when they were conducted so close together and with such a miniscule change. There are too many factors to consider. Had I eaten more the other night? Was I little more tense and holding my gut in, ever so slightly, last night? If she measures me in a month and I've lost a full inch then maybe I'll believe the results.

All in all, I'm disgusted and pissed off and depressed and ready to get in my car and drive down to Long John Silvers for three pieces of heavily breaded fish, two chickens, hushpuppies and fries. I mean why not? The scale has screwed me over and over. The test strips have screwed me over and over. The measuring tape hasn't been much help and because I refuse to give up my diet soft drinks, I guess I'm doomed no matter what.

There's just one thing keeping me going: my appetite. As in, I have very little of it. I know that's a side effect of ketosis and the fact that I have very little desire to eat, and when I do eat, it doesn't take much to make me full, is about the only thing I have going for me right now. But with every other indicator in the world (weight, ketone test, measurement) doing nothing for me, just how long am I supposed to keep myself going on this one lone good appetite indicator? I didn't start this diet in order to lose my appetite. It's a nice fringe benefit but the real reason I started was to LOSE WEIGHT. If that's not happening---and if I'm in fact gaining it---then why continue? Why not get that pizza?

If I seem angry, please know I'm just angry at my body. My body has let me down. It seems everyone else in the world makes this diet work, but not for me. I'm cursed in everything else I try, so why should dieting be any different?
JoeJett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I know you're not going to want to hear this, but you have to give it some time. 2.5 weeks is not enough. You didn't get to be the weight you are overnight, and you aren't going to lose it overnight either.

You are experiencing what is known as Post Induction Stall Syndrome (P.I.S.S.). If you do a search here, you'll see a lot of info on it.

I tend to lose weight in a stair step fashion. I lose 3 or 4 pounds, then nothing for MONTHS. Then 3 or 4 more pounds. At first I found that very frustrating, now I see that as a great advantage--the very slow pace of my weight loss serves to reinforce my low carb eating habits. I'm not just doing "dieting" to lose weight. This is my life and the way I eat forevermore.

I've also learned that while I initially came at this to lose weight, I started feeling 1000% better. So my goal has gone from reaching 150 and feeling like it's the end, to stay feeling as great as I do now, and any more weightloss that comes with it will be a happy coincidence. I still weigh myself and hope to reach my goal weight, but that's not the focus any more. And once I reach 150, I have no intention of eating any differently than I do now ever again.

Your body isn't letting you down, it may be adjusting to the big change that you will soon see on the scale. But you will never know it if you give up now. Aren't you curious to see what happens???
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I agree with PP. Your body is not letting you down, but you would be letting your body down to make that pizza run. In truth, I don't believe that mind and body are so distinct, but hopefully you get the point. You are not doomed. Get a grip, those inaminate objects like scale, tapemeasures and test strips are really not out to get you.
Take a deep breath and prepare for some focused work. There are brilliant folks here to help you on your journey.
It really does get easier but that won't happen if you quit now.

Last edited by Patience; 07-19-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Some of us lose weight more slowly than others. Stick with it. Give it more time and see if it works for you, or if you have to make more changes. Don't give up on this.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Sometimes when people first start with LC they get the idea that "so long as I don't eat more than 30 carbs I can eat as much as I want of everything else"
It is true that some people can, but many cannot.
It's easy to overdo the calories, especially if one is enjoying copious amounts of the fats that we LC'ers so very much enjoy.
Let me suggest that you post a typical daily diet. Include everything, especially condiments, dressings, sauces, etc.
It will give us a clearer picture and will aid in making targeting suggestions.
Remember ...You absolutely can lose weight.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pickles1010
Stats: 198 /190.5 /160 5'8
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: Jan. 2004/ Restart:Jan 2014
I know its frustrating, but hang in there. The first time I did Atkins I lost 10 lbs the first week and at least 2-4 every week after.
I did stay at 20 carbs or less a day, wrote everything down that went into my mouth and kept track. I never showed anything but light pink on the strips so didn't use them anymore. This time around it is much harder for me to loose but I am finally in onderland and seem to be on the way.
If you can get the 72 Atkins book ( I got mine in a thrift shop )its simpler than the WOE now, no franken food and net carbs, just straight carb count.
It helps to enter food into fit day and it gives you all your nutritional info for food eaten.
Stay with it and don't give up.

Ever seen a skinny grain eater? ( pig, horse, cow)
Ever seen a fat protein eater? (tiger, leopard, lion)

pickles1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Joejett.

Wait.

You didnt become a big person overnight and not everyone losses weight the second they start low carb. For some people they have to give their body time to work out if a) you're serious, and b) use up stores. It maybe you are one of those people that has a lot of readily accessable energy sititng around so your body doesnt quite yet need to start digging into the long term storage around your middle.

My day to day weigh ins are fairly medocre, but over time they've added up to a net loss. This week Ive been up a kg which is 2.2 pounds. History shows I will increase that and more over a 2 week period and then get a big drop. Then slowly increase again for a couple of weeks (although never to my previous high number) then another drop lower than the previous drop.A lot of people have said their loss is similar. Weight loss is not a constant
Old 07-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Um, it took me 7 weeks to start losing weight... But I was losing inches. I know how hard it can be and how bad it feels.... Keep your chin up!
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rcookie
Stats: 325/304.2/185
WOE: LC
Start Date: April 2013
It took me 9 weeks to start losing. Not sure about inches, I've never measured myself. But weight took 9 weeks to come off.

Your lack of appetite tells you that you body is responding in some way. Give it some time to adjust and respond in the more concrete signs you're looking for.

rcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I know you're upset and, to be honest, if I changed my diet drastically (eating low carb, eating less, etc.) I'd be ticked if I didn't lose anything either *BUT*...are you logging what you eat in one of the online food logs? I'd recommend it because you might possibly be eating higher carbs than you think. Eggs, for example, do have carbs. Add these 'hidden' carbs to the obvious ones you're counting and, depending on what you're eating and how much, you can easily add another 10-20 carbs to your total.

Contrary to what is touted in the media, low carb is not an all you can eat, eat all day buffet. The vast majority of us do have to watch our calories. Granted, we can generally eat more calories than on a higher carb diet and lose the same, but we still have to watch it.

How much protein are you eating? Excess protein has a ketogenic effect, meaning it will react as if you ate carbs. Dr. Bernstein suggests 1-1.5gm of protein for every pound of your *ideal* weight.

Do you spread your carbs out across the day? If you carb load at one meal, you'll kick yourself right out of ketosis.

Finally, get rid of the ketostix. They are a more accurate measure of whether or not you're drinking enough water. I drink 64 fl oz a day (always have) and mine never even turned a hint of purple.

Getting angry at your body is pointless and self-defeating. If you go to Long John's, who are you punishing...and will you really feel better the next morning when your scale goes up even more from water bloat due to the influx of these carbs?

You have to make the conscious decision that you're in this for the long haul. Record what you eat and then tweak when you find yourself in a stall.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
In addition to the good advice you've received, this stood out for me:

The only flavoring I use is buffalo sauce which I believe is low or no carb.
You say that you 'believe.' Do you read labels carefully? I ask because I love hot sauce, and when I'm shopping, I'm often amazed at how things that seem as though they should be low carb are actually much higher than I'd think. So I always read labels before I buy.

Also, you mention brussels sprouts as one of your main vegetables. They are actually one of the higher green vegetables, so unless you're counting carefully, you may be getting more carbs than you imagine. I love brussels sprouts, but since I'm carb sensitive and must limit myself to 20g a day, I have to be careful with them.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Do Not give up! Caving in a making a Pizza or LJS run isn't going to help Anything! Just make things A Lot worse! is it possible you may have an underlying (sp) condition? Like thyroid? Please don't give up! Check your labels carefully.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Post induction stall syndrome.

I was where you are. I have been on plan a month today. After the first week, I lost NOTHING until yesterday. Three weeks, that's 21 days with no movement. But, it was PISSy. Lol I finally got my drop , of almost 3 lbs.

Keep with the diet pop for now, just try to get in some water. Give it two more weeks. You can do anything for two weeks. At least the cravings are gone and you get satisfying food.

PS I had fried chicken tenders for supper coated in parm cheese and fried until super crispy, with creamed cauliflower with cream cheese, butter, cream & garlic, and a cherry coke zero. It could be worse!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Joejett: one more thing, pitch those ridick Ketostix and get a tracking app. It's free, tells you your grams, percentages, calories, graphs your weight loss etc. very handy. Keep fats high, and net carbs low.

You may have even lost more (prob did) than u think. Everyone seems to underestimate their start weight until they get on the scale. So you could've lost closer to 20lb.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoeJett
@Leo41: Yes I do read labels. My bottle of Frank's Red Hot sauce says 0% and 0 grams.

Truthfully I hate vegetables. Especially green ones. Sprouts and asparagus are the only two I can really palat, so if I have to say no to one of them, and am left with only one, my diet becomes that much more bland.

@Aomiel: Regarding too much protein, I read on here the other day that too much bacon "counts as carbs", so you've just reaffirmed that and I must say it really sucks, especially given what I said about not living vegetables. The whole reason low carb appealed to me was because I believed I could eat lots of protein. Now I learn I shouldn't be eating that much protein. I can't eat many eggs. I have to be careful of what green vegetables I eat. This diet now seems FAR more restrictive than I originally thought.

I don't list what I eat. I don't use spreadsheets or anything like that. All I did was make a text document on my PC with the date in one column and a second column that reads <under 20g carbs>. If I remained under 20 for that day, I get to check it with an x. If I go over 20, I have to explain why in my little notes column. So far, it's been all x's. But little did I know that all those eggs, Brussel's sprouts and high protein meals were the reason why I screwed myself. I'm not liking this diet now. I'm not liking it at all, no sir.

I won't quote what everyone said but I want to thank everyone for being so helpful and supportive. You're all just wonderful, even though I'm not liking much of what I read. I did want to quote this by Janknitz:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I know you're not going to want to hear this, but you have to give it some time.
No, I DO like hearing that. I'm a great believer in the low carb lifestyle as opposed to the low carb diet, even though I haven't been on it long enough to know whether it will work for me. From all the reading I did prior to starting, I came to believe pretty emphatically that in our modern industrialized cultures we eat way, way too many carbs. So I was indeed prepared for the long haul. But I wasn't prepared to see the scale going UP. You reassured me that it's okay when you explained the roller coaster effect of your own weight loss, and Lilbeetle's line "Weight loss is not a constant" is worthy of being taped to a refrigerator.

What I don't like hearing is all the things I'm now not allowed to eat. It's extremely disconcerting to be so good, to plan to continue being so good, staying away from the things you know made you fat, only to hear no, no, that's not okay to eat, and no, that's probably not good either, and yes, you can eat this other thing but only in small doses.

When I read all about these restrictions on things I didn't think were supposed to be restrictions at all, it makes me wonder whether this diet is really worth it. I'm wondering now if the only real benefit of low carb is that it puts you in ketosis which in turn reduces your appetite, but because of the dizzying list of rules that seem to apply even to the things we're supposed to be allowed (and things we're encouraged!) to eat, like meat and eggs, it's just so strict you're better off just doing the "take mom's advice" diet and whatever you want, but watch your portions and get plenty of exercise.

Al Sharpton has been in the news a good bit lately. I saw his picture online and I thought, "Wait a minute, he's really slimmed down." I looked it up and found out how he lost all his weight. He simply stopped eating the greasy nasty things that were bad for him, started eating more vegetables and exercised. It didn't sound like a diet with a lot of rules. It just sounded like a common sense diet. He stopped filling his body with bad things and started filling it with good things. End of story. Find a before and after picture of him and you'll see.

I love rice. I love potatoes. I haven't touched them in close to three weeks. I believed that if I removed things like that from my diet, I would lose weight. But now I see I can't eat too many eggs, I can't eat too much bacon, I can't eat too many Brussel's sporuts. The list goes on of the things I can't eat. A full third of the things I like to eat are now off limits. This whole idea of "hidden carbs" is brand new to me. Someone tell me why I don't just chuck the whole damned thing and eat my potatoes and rice but do so in small portions? Why not eat pizza when I want to, but instead of ordering it once a week, order it once every two months. I know what someone will say: that once every two months will turn into once every month and then once every two weeks and then I'm back to where I started. So believe me, I get it. I get the idea of restricting ourselves in order to remain disciplined. But no eggs, no sprouts, no bacon? When does it end? Must I go on a strict air and water diet to remove this damned spare tire?

Okay, I haven't kept tract of what I eat but my diet is so limited anyway that I can remember it. Here's a typical day for me:

Wake up
Breakfast: 1 16 oz. Diet Mt. Dew

Lunch: Four pieces of slices pepperoni, about 4-5 oz. mozzarella cheese (less than 1g carb).

Dinner: One 3-egg omelet with three or four strips of bacon and half a handful of shredded cheese
<OR>
Four or five boneless pork ribs seasoned with no carbs by girlfriend and 1/4 microwave bag of B. sprouts or asparagus.
<OR>
Five or six chicken wings seasoned with no carbs by girlfriend and 1/4 microwave bag of B. sprouts or asparagus.

Always another Diet Mt. Dew for dinner.

Never a desert.

Rarely a midnight snack. If I do snack it's always a small portion of dinner leftovers.

Now if I need to restrict myself more than this, I guarantee I'll lose half a pound by bedtime just from pulling my hair out in frustration.

Again, sorry for all the angst and thank you all so much for your kind words.
JoeJett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
A little bit about labels: they list nutritional information as "per serving".
Sometimes the serving is very small to achieve that low carb or calorie count.
If a "serving" is 1/4tsp and you're having a whole teaspoon, you're having 4 servings, which can add up to a lot of carbs or calories over the span of a day.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Oh also, Diet Mtn Dew lists 10 calories per 20oz bottle, which means there are some level of carbs in it as it lists orange juice as the 2nd ingredient:
CARBONATED WATER, CONCENTRATED ORANGE JUICE, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRUS PECTIN, POTASSIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVES FRESHNESS), ASPARTAME, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CAFFEINE, SODIUM CITRATE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, SUCRALOSE, GUM ARABIC, SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVES FRESHNESS), CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PROTECT FLAVOR), BROMINATED VEGETABLE OIL, YELLOW 5

PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
If you have lost your appetite and this is a typical day's diet, then I think the answer is probably that you underestimated your starting weight and this "gain" is just water weight due to --- who knows? It happens all the time. And if that's the case, you might have had a bigger loss to start and your body is just catching up.

I wouldn't change anything in that menu. Sometimes diet soda stalls people, but it seems unlikely. I think you're probably operating from a vague starting number and it's distorting your view of your progress. It's worth testing that anyway before you abandon the diet. At least see what another week or so brings.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
I'm going to sound like a broken record but what you are experiencing is normal. It will take the body awhile to adjust to this way of eating. This way of eating is no quick fix, it is a lifestyle, if you do your part (eating what you are supposed to, plenty of water, adequate sleep, and exercise) the body will do its part....guaranteed.

Here are two great posts that you may find worth reading. Not only do they motivate, they also put the whole Low-Carb eating lifestyle in perspective. I know they've helped me in times of frustration and doubt.

The great myth of LC eating and Impatience Killed the Cat

Wishing you all the best on your low-carb journey!

Last edited by NewestAtkinsFan; 07-19-2013 at 04:31 PM..
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Suffice to say, you need to be far more patient. No tweaking, just time, portion control, and consistency.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetSugaree
Stats: 250/207/150
Start Date: RESTART- 5/13/13
Hi Joe,
I feel your pain, for I am in the same boat. I have been fluctuating between 220 and 217 for over three weeks now. The other day I was so upset I almost drove to the nearest fast food restaurant and binged, but I didn't. I just don't want to be unhealthy anymore. My advice is gonna be the same advice I am giving myself... Just keep it going for a few more weeks and see how your body adjusts. I have given myself three more weeks, if I see no scale changes I am going to try something different. I know most on this board will not agree with what I am saying, but honestly it isn't about other people it is about you. You have to find something that works best for your body. If it isn't low carb, maybe it will be something else. Everyone's body is different, we all have to find what works for us best individually.

Mini Goals
Goal #1
Reach 230 LBS- Goal Achieved 6/7/13
Goal#2
Reach 220 LBS- Goal Achieved 7/1/13
Goal #3
Reach ONEderland-
SweetSugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

The calories seem super low! Seems to be significantly under 1000. Can you tolerate breakfast? Maybe a coffee with a couple cream?

You need to take a deep breath, don't quit in frustration. Bacon , sprouts, etc don't have a limit per se. You are supposed to eat until satisfied. The thing is, when people are stalled, other folks who mean well pick everything apart to try to give potential reasons for the stall. It doesn't mean YOU need to limit bacon, eggs, or sweetener.

If your dew has 10 cal per servings, and you're having 3x3 per day.. That's potentially 90 calories of carbs. Is it dew you're addicted to, or would any pop work? What about one that has truly zero carbs. You may be pushing 24 g of carbs ie your daily limit- just in Dew.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I was thinking the same thing. I don't see anything wrong here with carbs or protein except that maybe you're not eating enough?

Here's a standard day for me, keeping in mind that I'm a 5'3 postmenopausal woman.

First thing: 2 cups coffee with half and half
B: 2 eggs cooked in butter, .5 oz bacon (I weigh cuz slices vary in thickness)
L: 2 cups romaine lettuce with 3 oz ham, 1 chopped hard boiled egg, 1 oz cheese and 2 Tbs italian dressing (half of that is olive oil)
D: 4 oz protein (ground beef, steak, pork chop, chicken), 1 cup steamed or roasted vegies (broccoli, brussel sprouts, green beans, cauliflower...basically non-starchy) or 2 cups raw (when I do stir fry, I'll start with 2 cups raw)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Aomiel; 07-19-2013 at 05:13 PM..
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
Joe, I have read your posts and the frustrations are obvious. I'm sorry this WOE is so hard for you. The replies above, I agrees with.....some very good information. I would like you to look at this WOE by what you can have verses what you can't have ie, rib eye steak with salad and blue cheese dressing, any meat you can think of, real butter,real cream in coffee, ham and cheese omelette, etc. Go to our recipe board and your options are endless. Weight loss will come. Look at the health benefits that may pertain to you. If you can't get pass not having potatoes, rice, wheat bread then LC may not be for you. Your other option is low cal, low fat, and small portions with hunger. With my health issues, I will have to eat this way forever and I don't mind.
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: frank
Stats: 1993 ... 388 lbs today 235 lbs ... day by day
WOE: Atkins .....
JoeJett your anger is understandable and certainly forgiven and your are correct there are many diets that work, I am a testament to that. as of the late 1990's I had lost 100lbs 5 times on many diets that worked, only to gain it back every time. So I was again nearly 400lbs.....i read Atkins....a way to eat, no more "diet" I hate that word....many years later I have lost 160lbs....I stay away from the scales, I think they are not your friend....my goal is to eat low carb and do the best I can everyday.....there have been slices of pizza and cake and ice cream along the way, I do not check the scales the next day, I just eat low carb ..... I just found low carb friends recently, the reading hear is informative and inspirational wish I had found it sooner...I recommend reading some of the threads here and looking for those hidden carbs. Best of Luck ... "fight the fight"
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Lady
WOE: Low carb
Your menu looks fine. I would'nt change a thing. Just do not weigh yourself for two more weeks and drink plenty of water and walk for 20 to 30 minutes a day and see what hapens. My opinion.
Texas Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelec
Stats: 199 (highest)/182 (LC restart)/163/120
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: 3/6/2011
I agree with previous posters. As soon as I read your daily menu I wonder if you aren't getting enough calories. After about 2 weeks in, when I stopped being hungry, I stalled. Once I tracked everything I ate, I realized that I wasn't getting anywhere near enough calories. That is my biggest problem is getting enough calories in each day.
shelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Pour melted butter over stuff. I'm not kidding.

Maybe you'd like veggies if you pour melted butter over them.
Try them raw, like salad with full fat dressing or celery sticks or red pepper strips or cucumber slices. Try them cooked to crisp-tender . Try them smooshy like southern style green beans or zucchini with onions. Maybe you'll like something you didn't know you liked.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #29

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Sometimes when people first start with LC they get the idea that "so long as I don't eat more than 30 carbs I can eat as much as I want of everything else"
It is true that some people can, but many cannot.
It's easy to overdo the calories, especially if one is enjoying copious amounts of the fats that we LC'ers so very much enjoy.
Let me suggest that you post a typical daily diet. Include everything, especially condiments, dressings, sauces, etc.
It will give us a clearer picture and will aid in making targeting suggestions.
Remember ...You absolutely can lose weight.

I agree, I'm a veteran LCer, with many ups and downs while eating only "legal" foods. Never used to measure or record anything. I have finally resigned myself to the idea that perhaps I'm underestimating the carbs and calories I eat and I have to measure and count.

I decided I will try not to exceed 2,000 cal and 25 net carbs and will try to stay above 70% of calories from fat. I record everything in an online food journal that measures net carbs. And, lo and behold, I have lost 9.8 lbs in 2 weeks. Which has never happened before, not even when I first started LC. I also added walking to my routine and try to do 8,000-10,000 steps counted by a FitBit pedometer because I read that just one day of sitting around makes you more insulin resistant by 39% (that was an official study published on PubMed).

It's not as cumbersome as you think. Give it a try for a week or two and see if that breaks your stall.

I agree with the other posters - 2.5 weeks is not enough to see results. We didn't gain the weight overnight, sometimes it takes a year or two to gain 10 lbs....And everyone is so different. I know it's daunting to do all this work and get no immediate results, but even if you don't see results weight-wise, keep in mind that LC is making you healthier from the inside out and some of the benefits of LC can not be measured with a scale.

Keep going and don't give up! You can do it!

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 07-19-2013 at 07:03 PM..
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #30

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
I know you're upset and, to be honest, if I changed my diet drastically (eating low carb, eating less, etc.) I'd be ticked if I didn't lose anything either *BUT*...are you logging what you eat in one of the online food logs? I'd recommend it because you might possibly be eating higher carbs than you think. Eggs, for example, do have carbs. Add these 'hidden' carbs to the obvious ones you're counting and, depending on what you're eating and how much, you can easily add another 10-20 carbs to your total.

Contrary to what is touted in the media, low carb is not an all you can eat, eat all day buffet. The vast majority of us do have to watch our calories. Granted, we can generally eat more calories than on a higher carb diet and lose the same, but we still have to watch it.

How much protein are you eating? Excess protein has a ketogenic effect, meaning it will react as if you ate carbs. Dr. Bernstein suggests 1-1.5gm of protein for every pound of your *ideal* weight.

Do you spread your carbs out across the day? If you carb load at one meal, you'll kick yourself right out of ketosis.

Finally, get rid of the ketostix. They are a more accurate measure of whether or not you're drinking enough water. I drink 64 fl oz a day (always have) and mine never even turned a hint of purple.

Getting angry at your body is pointless and self-defeating. If you go to Long John's, who are you punishing...and will you really feel better the next morning when your scale goes up even more from water bloat due to the influx of these carbs?

You have to make the conscious decision that you're in this for the long haul. Record what you eat and then tweak when you find yourself in a stall.

Beautifully put. Agree 100%.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote