Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
JoeJett, I would ditch the diet Mt Dew and try adding some veggies. I'm sure there are ways for you to eat them that is not going to be disgusting to you. As adults, we can train ourselves to eat stuff we know our body needs so it can function properly.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Lotsa good stuff here.
With the type and amount of food your eating, I would be surprised if you didn't soon see some weight loss.
The prevailing message from the community is "be patient, and stick to it"
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
JoeJett

I hear your pain! It took me 4 weeks until I saw some loses. Then, all of the sudden it happened.
I think the veggies are fundamental for weight loss (like Dr. Atkins said in his books). Most of my carbs come from veggies (At least 12 gr net of the 15-16 gr net I take daily).

Stick with it and if you have any problems, you can still come here and talk to people in this forum. We are here to support you!

Last edited by thatphdguy; 07-19-2013 at 08:37 PM..
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buttercup30
Stats: 394.6/377.8/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2013
Joe,
The diet mountain dew is bad. trust me. I drank it too. It's diet, correct? what harm can it do? I read the ingredients list, and found that it had orange juice concentrate. That is probably what is wrecking your diet.
buttercup30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
In addition to "be more patient", I'd like to add something else. Shift your focus from "losing weight" to "gaining health."

Last time I was here, I "stalled" completely for 2 MONTHS. I was 100% on plan, and I have been here and done low carb successfully. I know this stuff. I was stalled (I know why now). But, I truly believe I was healthier than I had been, even without weight loss. I was eating more clean, more veggies, and drinking more water.

Your paragraph about "why not just eat....." is striking. Reduced calorie and portions, and "watching" certain foods but not eliminating them obviously works for some people. It does not for me. But even if you chose that way to lose weight, you will still have a non linear loss, you still still have to say "no" to certain foods, portions, and situations.

Search TaDa's post called "Curiosity killed the cat" to see a very telling reality about the process of losing a substantial amount of weight.

No Fat Summer Challenge - Goal: 175 by Summer

March 1 - 205 (going on a vacation in February)
April 1 - 195
May 1 - 187
June 1 - 180
June 21 - 175
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lola Bartez
Stats: 181/153/135-140? (5' 6")
WOE: ZC
Start Date: 22 June 2010
I think every successful dieter here has had a stall or two. They range in length from a couple of weeks to several months. Don't give up - keep at it - your body is becoming adapted to this way of eating

In my experience the more carbs you eat, the more calories count. For the last 4 months or so I have eaten zero carb (meat, butter and water/mint tea) so I don't worry about calories
Lola Bartez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Oh also, Diet Mtn Dew lists 10 calories per 20oz bottle, which means there are some level of carbs in it as it lists orange juice as the 2nd ingredient:
CARBONATED WATER, CONCENTRATED ORANGE JUICE, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRUS PECTIN, POTASSIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVES FRESHNESS), ASPARTAME, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CAFFEINE, SODIUM CITRATE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, SUCRALOSE, GUM ARABIC, SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVES FRESHNESS), CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PROTECT FLAVOR), BROMINATED VEGETABLE OIL, YELLOW 5

PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS
Just FYI: I drink Diet Mountain Dew fairly often, and my cans say zero calories per (12 oz) can. I think you're looking at the low calorie version, not the diet version. PepsiCo has a new line of low sugar 10 calorie sodas, in addition to the longstanding diet zero calorie versions.

This post isn't an endorsement of drinking it (or any diet soda), just a clarification.

Last edited by Ntombi; 07-19-2013 at 11:38 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mdog73
Stats: 235/191/194 male 6' 2"
WOE: Atkins - heavy on the meats
Start Date: April 9, 2013
I think stalls are common. When I first started I lost 5 pounds the first week and nothing the next 10 days then started to slowly lose. Over the first 2 and a half months I shed about 25 pounds. I have been stalled between 207-210 for the past 3 weeks but I am not worried, I know it will kick in again, I haven't been too strict either ranging from 20-45 carbs a day. There are things I could cut out still, but I am comfortable at 210 it's way better than the 235 I started at.
I cut out all diet sodas at least for now. I was a huge diet soda drinker, drank at least a six pack a day before atkins. I do drink some flavored waters that have a few carbs. Maybe you could try some of those and drop the diet soda. Diet Mtn dew was my favorite too. If I were you I would stick to it another 10 days or two weeks to see how it goes. If you are still frustrated with cravings at that point maybe you try something else.

I do agree that some of these restrictions people have mentioned in this thread about excess protein, eggs and sprouts here seem a bit extreme and frustrating when you thought you were doing the right thing.

Good luck.

Last edited by mdog73; 07-20-2013 at 04:30 AM..
mdog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I'm sure your venting, but really I'm not sure what you are mad about. I'm thinking your disappointed more by LC not meeting your expectations than by it not working well.

The weight loss? You lost quite a bit of weight probably a bit more since you were not sure of your original weight.

The pause after two weeks? Of course after the initial water loss , your body will most likely pause for a week then lose like any other weight loss program. Expect to go slower if you have less than 30 pds to lose.

Appetite control? You do have appetite control .

Restriction? You are being super restrictive . Being zero carb won't necessarily make you lose faster or better than being at 20 grams. I'd be annoyed too.
There is a lot of variety to ATkins.

Weight loss doesn't happen in steady increments. It fluctuates a d can happen in groupings. Just wait a month !
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Just FYI: I drink Diet Mountain Dew fairly often, and my cans say zero calories per (12 oz) can. I think you're looking at the low calorie version, not the diet version. PepsiCo has a new line of low sugar 10 calorie sodas, in addition to the longstanding diet zero calorie versions.

This post isn't an endorsement of drinking it (or any diet soda), just a clarification.
It is one of those things that has a trace amount of carbs in it. If you buy the 16 ounce bottles, it will say one serving size is 12 ounces and 0 calories and 0 carbs, but the whole bottle has >1 carb and I think 5 calories. I still drink it, but I do count each bottle as a carb.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
It is one of those things that has a trace amount of carbs in it. If you buy the 16 ounce bottles, it will say one serving size is 12 ounces and 0 calories and 0 carbs, but the whole bottle has >1 carb and I think 5 calories. I still drink it, but I do count each bottle as a carb.
Right, I do too, but that's different from 10 calories per 20 ounces. That's my point.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pickles1010
Stats: 198 /190.5 /160 5'8
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: Jan. 2004/ Restart:Jan 2014
If you are not a fan of veggie's, have a small salad 2X a day I dont see salad on your menu. Green beans are very low carb and I take the canned ones and season them like 3 bean salad and keep them in the fridge always in this heat. You can do that with zucchini also.
pickles1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
You shouldn't be hungry on LC. That's one of the fringe benefits. If you were losing better and were more happy on WW, why not go back to it? Approx 25% of people can thrive on a WW type plan. No one plan is for everyone. It makes me OCD, starving, and crave like crazy . It sounds like your experience has been far different.

If you did so well on WW, why bother trying to switch to LC? If it ain't broke, I say don't fix it!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
You will notice you get lots of different advice. You don't have to accept it all as differerent strokes for different folks

I would keep the brussels sprouts. They are one of my first veggie choices. I'd encourage you to get some nutrition for breakfast and put off your first mountain dew until later and cut down if possible. Just my opinion. Your choice. If you like the carbonation kick, consider a soda stream. You can control the ingredients and it's a big money saver.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
You will notice you get lots of different advice. You don't have to accept it all as differerent strokes for different folks

I would keep the brussels sprouts. They are one of my first veggie choices. I'd encourage you to get some nutrition for breakfast and put off your first mountain dew until later and cut down if possible. Just my opinion. Your choice. If you like the carbonation kick, consider a soda stream. You can control the ingredients and it's a big money saver.

Well, I agree on ingredients, but a money saver? Soda is cheap anyway ( I pay 99 cents for 2 liters. If it costs more than that I won't buy it.... ) but then you pay $80 or even a lot more to buy the Soda Stream, depending on the model. And I think they ( the mixes ) cost about the same as buying the actual soda.... someone gave my kids one at Christmas, and we still have the starter pack of mixes.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Lots of wise words here, believe them. Many here have been at this for awhile and they have learned much from their experiences, and reading up here. The more I learned here, the better I lost.

But that isn't because I cut out everything people suggest here every time someone stalls. I made peace with the fact that I would be patient with a slower loss in trade for more variety in my woe, and a better chance of staying on board.

And my weight loss has been slow compared to some here --- 21 pounds gone in 6 and a half months. What's huge about that number to me, is the difference it's made in how I feel about myself, in so many ways. So I consider it a big loss, look forward to more loss, but know there will be stalls and discouraging days a long the way.

Here's a list of what I haven't cut out or severely restricted, other than the old moderate portions thing---and still lost those 21 pounds.

nuts
pepitas
eggs
bacon,
HWC
butter
mayo
salad dressings ---make my own, no carbs.
onions
tomatos
Any green vegetable I feel like, when I feel like it
meats of all kinds
blackberries and rasberries
all kinds of cheeses
Diet pop of all kinds
spices
Guy's BBQ sauce
Ketchup - I just buy the reduced sugar version
pickles

AND EVEN---

Trader Joe's sprouted wheat bread = 4 NCs a slice, used very sparingly, but happily for a toasted BLT.

Every thing on this list and more has been suggested to be cut out of someone's diet who is not losing, and often that's good advice and works, particularly if someone is unaware of the amts they are eating. Everyone learns over time what foods they can and can't eat or need to cut down on to lose.

But since I am moderate with all these foods, and I don't have to lose weight fast, as long as I lose it, I can enjoy a Low carb woe full of variety that's been almost painless in maintaining.

You are not comfortable with a lot of restrictions, unless they equal a big pay off in fast weight loss. Which is guaranteed to no one. So this is an alternative. Lighten up on enough restrictions that you don't feel so deprived, and change your expectations about rate of loss.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: frank
Stats: 1993 ... 388 lbs today 235 lbs ... day by day
WOE: Atkins .....
Quote from Blue Skies "But since I am moderate with all these foods, and I don't have to lose weight fast, as long as I lose it, I can enjoy a Low carb woe full of variety that's been almost painless in maintaining." Well Said...
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #48
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I think you should try logging for a while to get an idea of where you really stand. Not forever, just for a while and maybe periodically after that.

I suspect you might not be eating enough. It sounds like you are a young man with a fair amount to lose on your first shot at low carb. You probably should be losing faster than you are.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
How frustrating for you! I don't agree with the other posters that you're not getting enough food. My guess is that you're eating a lot more cheese and so on than you think you are. My best suggestion is to keep eating what you're eating, but try for a little more variety with the protein and keep the cheese strictly to 3 oz a day or less. In other words, perhaps you should try good old Atkins, which translates in its simplest form to:
-3 meals a day, with a moderate serving of protein at each (ie, 4 to 6 oz of meat or fish, or 3 eggs)
-no more than 3 oz of cheese a day (sorry, but you need to measure or weigh--a tiny piece of cheese is an ounce)
-2 or 3 cups of veggies a day. Brussel sprouts are EXCELLENT low carb choices (with 4.7 grams of net carbs a cup.) So is asparagus. If those are the only 2 you like, then eat them!
-moderate servings of added fat: butter, cream (3 T a day max), olive oil, coconut oil
-small servings of spices, seasonings, hot sauce etc are fine

So my suggestions to tweak your diet are simple:
-don't eat too much processed meat: bacon, sausage, pepperoni, etc. A little is fine, but it shouldn't be your main protein source because it's full of sodium and dubious chemicals. Instead, eat moderate servings of actual food: a piece of chicken, fish, steak, pork shoulder
-yep, in an ideal world you wouldn't be drinking a quart of diet mountain dew a day. But you're not going to cut it out entirely. So instead, try drinking 1 1/2 bottles instead of 2 bottles.
-and chill as much as possible. Those handfuls of cheese and piles of pepperoni and ribs are laden with sodium, and it will take a little time for your body to adjust to real food.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Garlic, I've never bought a prepackaged mix for my soda stream. Yes, they are expensive. You don't need them. Read the ingredients, yuck, but that's the profit. I use flavor essences only and they last a long long time. Plus I am not having to trash or recycle all the conventional soda containers and packaging. So yes, even with the expense of the cartridges, sodastream is a wise choice. The cartridges are refillable. There is more than one way to calculate expense.

p.s. I saw street protests again sodastream in Chico, CA. Labor practices?

Last edited by Patience; 07-21-2013 at 06:43 AM..
Old 07-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Lots of wise words here, believe them. Many here have been at this for awhile and they have learned much from their experiences, and reading up here. The more I learned here, the better I lost.

But that isn't because I cut out everything people suggest here every time someone stalls. I made peace with the fact that I would be patient with a slower loss in trade for more variety in my woe, and a better chance of staying on board.

And my weight loss has been slow compared to some here --- 21 pounds gone in 6 and a half months. What's huge about that number to me, is the difference it's made in how I feel about myself, in so many ways. So I consider it a big loss, look forward to more loss, but know there will be stalls and discouraging days a long the way.

Here's a list of what I haven't cut out or severely restricted, other than the old moderate portions thing---and still lost those 21 pounds.

nuts
pepitas
eggs
bacon,
HWC
butter
mayo
salad dressings ---make my own, no carbs.
onions
tomatos
Any green vegetable I feel like, when I feel like it
meats of all kinds
blackberries and rasberries
all kinds of cheeses
Diet pop of all kinds
spices
Guy's BBQ sauce
Ketchup - I just buy the reduced sugar version
pickles

AND EVEN---

Trader Joe's sprouted wheat bread = 4 NCs a slice, used very sparingly, but happily for a toasted BLT.

Every thing on this list and more has been suggested to be cut out of someone's diet who is not losing, and often that's good advice and works, particularly if someone is unaware of the amts they are eating. Everyone learns over time what foods they can and can't eat or need to cut down on to lose.

But since I am moderate with all these foods, and I don't have to lose weight fast, as long as I lose it, I can enjoy a Low carb woe full of variety that's been almost painless in maintaining.

You are not comfortable with a lot of restrictions, unless they equal a big pay off in fast weight loss. Which is guaranteed to no one. So this is an alternative. Lighten up on enough restrictions that you don't feel so deprived, and change your expectations about rate of loss.
That's pretty much my diet too and I also drink alcohol. I managed to lose 60 pounds in 9 months and another 7 in the past 3. (This was my first time on low carb so I know I can't expect to lose at that pace in the future, however.) Oh, and I'm old --- 56.

Having said that, I think it's rare to have that kind of success at my age and is probably a sign that my metabolism isn't as messed up as I thought it was. I think everyone has individual characteristics that make the diet work differently. But nearly everyone can succeed in the long run if they cut those carbs.

If you have appetite suppression half the battle is won. And not everyone is lucky enough to experience that.

Blue Skies,

I've looked for the Trader Joe's 4NC bread you discuss and I can't find it in my local stores. They have sprouted wheat in a number of different types but they all have about 15 NC per slice. Can you tell me specifically what it's called? I'll ask for it.

Last edited by Rhubarb; 07-21-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
Blue Skies,

I've looked for the Trader Joe's 4NC bread you discuss and I can't find it in my local stores. They have sprouted wheat in a number of different types but they all have about 15 NC per slice. Can you tell me specifically what it's called? I'll ask for it.
Ruhbarb---yes, others have had that problem too. Many grocery chains use regional bakeries, and therefore what's on the shelves is different in different places.

The name of the bread IS Trader Joe's Sprouted Wheat bread---7 grams of carbs, 3 dietary fiber for 4NCs. That's it. It has a bright yellow label, while other TJ's wheat breads have different colored labels and slightly different names.

What you could do is mention to your TJ store manager that you know this bread is available in Minnesota, and is there any way your store could also get it.

Another lower carb bread I have used is Sara Lee's Lite and delicious---something like 6 net carbs a slice. It's OK and does the trick if you just need a sandwich, particularly toasted and buttered. But it's thinner and less generous of a slice than the TJ's. The SL lite and delicious hamburger and hot dog buns for 8NCs are very decent. Wal-mart carries it here.

I don't do the bread thing often, maybe once a week, and then it has to be part of coming in at my 30 or under a day gram goal. Hasn't effected my rate of loss at all, and it sure is nice when like I said, you just want a good BLT, or whatever.

Another tip: Sometimes I cut the crusts of my LC bread, butter up and toast. Crusts are where the carbs are most concentrated. These little crustless buttered and toasted darlins are great for open face spreads of tuna salad, or a favor cheese, or whatever.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
How frustrating for you! I don't agree with the other posters that you're not getting enough food. My guess is that you're eating a lot more cheese and so on than you think you are. My best suggestion is to keep eating what you're eating, but try for a little more variety with the protein and keep the cheese strictly to 3 oz a day or less. In other words, perhaps you should try good old Atkins, which translates in its simplest form to:
-3 meals a day, with a moderate serving of protein at each (ie, 4 to 6 oz of meat or fish, or 3 eggs)
-no more than 3 oz of cheese a day (sorry, but you need to measure or weigh--a tiny piece of cheese is an ounce)
-2 or 3 cups of veggies a day. Brussel sprouts are EXCELLENT low carb choices (with 4.7 grams of net carbs a cup.) So is asparagus. If those are the only 2 you like, then eat them!
-moderate servings of added fat: butter, cream (3 T a day max), olive oil, coconut oil
-small servings of spices, seasonings, hot sauce etc are fine

So my suggestions to tweak your diet are simple:
-don't eat too much processed meat: bacon, sausage, pepperoni, etc. A little is fine, but it shouldn't be your main protein source because it's full of sodium and dubious chemicals. Instead, eat moderate servings of actual food: a piece of chicken, fish, steak, pork shoulder
-yep, in an ideal world you wouldn't be drinking a quart of diet mountain dew a day. But you're not going to cut it out entirely. So instead, try drinking 1 1/2 bottles instead of 2 bottles.
-and chill as much as possible. Those handfuls of cheese and piles of pepperoni and ribs are laden with sodium, and it will take a little time for your body to adjust to real food.

BRAVO!!!!
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Ruhbarb---yes, others have had that problem too. Many grocery chains use regional bakeries, and therefore what's on the shelves is different in different places.

The name of the bread IS Trader Joe's Sprouted Wheat bread---7 grams of carbs, 3 dietary fiber for 4NCs. That's it. It has a bright yellow label, while other TJ's wheat breads have different colored labels and slightly different names.

What you could do is mention to your TJ store manager that you know this bread is available in Minnesota, and is there any way your store could also get it.

Another lower carb bread I have used is Sara Lee's Lite and delicious---something like 6 net carbs a slice. It's OK and does the trick if you just need a sandwich, particularly toasted and buttered. But it's thinner and less generous of a slice than the TJ's. The SL lite and delicious hamburger and hot dog buns for 8NCs are very decent. Wal-mart carries it here.

I don't do the bread thing often, maybe once a week, and then it has to be part of coming in at my 30 or under a day gram goal. Hasn't effected my rate of loss at all, and it sure is nice when like I said, you just want a good BLT, or whatever.

Another tip: Sometimes I cut the crusts of my LC bread, butter up and toast. Crusts are where the carbs are most concentrated. These little crustless buttered and toasted darlins are great for open face spreads of tuna salad, or a favor cheese, or whatever.
I'll ask about it. Thanks for the info.

I have used the Sara Lee in my former WW life and found it worked fine. I'm out of the habit of eating bread but I have thought it would be nice to have a slice now and then with my eggs over easy (so I can stop licking the plate ...)
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

My dog and I fight over the plate.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
I would not change or tweak anything, it's too soon in the game. Just-be-patient the weight will come off. I would however suggest you purchase a book for whatever plan you are following and read it cover to cover. You said your brother-in-law did "low-carb" are you following a general low-carb approach? Did your brother in law not mention Atkins because that name alone can cause controversy? Anyway, if it is Atkins you choose the following can help guide you until you can research it for yourself.

Note: These instructions are taken from Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, 2002 edition. Most experienced forum members would advise you to follow these instructions and not those from New Atkins, New You, the Quick Start Guide, or the website, as the changes seem to be too liberal in favor of selling shakes and bars. This is the induction food list as Dr Atkins wrote it himself.

Atkins Induction Acceptable Food List

All fish, fowl, shellfish, meat, and eggs

Note: Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs than other shellfish, so limit them to four ounces per day.

Note: Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats—and some fish—may be cured with added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Also beware of products that are not exclusively meat, fish or fowl, such as imitation fish, meatloaf and breaded foods. Finally, do not consume more than four ounces of organ meats a day.

Cheese
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, cow, sheep and goat cheese, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:

Cheddar; cream cheese; Gouda; mozzarella; Roquefort, and other blue; Swiss cheese

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content.

Salad Vegetables
These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber.

You can have two to three, cups per day of any combination of the following:

Alfalfa sprouts, daikon radish, mushrooms, arugula, endive, parsley, bok choy, escarole, peppers, celery, fennel, radicchio, chicory, jicama, radishes, chives, lettuce, romaine lettuce, cucumber, mâche, sorrel, spinach

Other Vegetables
You can have one cup per day of these vegetables, in any combination if your salad portion does not exceed two cups. The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables:

Artichoke, celery root, pumpkin, artichoke hearts, rhubarb, asparagus, chard, sauerkraut, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, broccoli rabe, Brussels sprouts, cabbage (red, green, Savoy), cauliflower, chayote, collard greens, dandelion greens, eggplant, hearts of palm, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, okra, onion, scallions, snow peas, spaghetti squash, spinach, string or wax beans, summer squash, tomato, turnips, water chestnuts, zucchini

If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count.

Special Category Foods
To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, 2 Tbsp. of sour cream, or unsweetened heavy or light cream (limit to two to three tablespoons a day; note carbohydrate content), as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

Herbs and Spices
Use all herbs and spices to taste, but make sure that spice blends contain no added sugar.

For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar (but not balsamic vinegar, which contains sugar) or lemon juice and herbs and spices. Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per tablespoon serving are also fine.

Acceptable Fats and Oils
Many fats, especially certain oils, are essential to good nutrition. Olive oil is particularly valuable. All other vegetable oils are allowed, the best being canola, walnut, soybean, grapeseed, sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, especially if they are labeled "cold-pressed" or "expeller-pressed." Do not cook polyunsaturated oils, such as corn, soybean and sunflower oil, at high temperatures or allow to brown or smoke.

Use butter. Margarine should be avoided, not because of its carbohydrate content, but because it is usually made of trans fats (hydrogenated oils), which are a serious health hazard. (Some nonhydrogenated margarines are available in health-food stores.)

You don't have to remove the skin and fat from meat or fowl. Salmon and other cold-water fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.

Remember that trying to do a low-fat version of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM will interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss.

Artificial Sweeteners
You must determine which artificial sweeteners agree with you, but the following are allowed: sucralose (marketed as Splenda™), saccharin, cyclamate and acesulfame-K. Natural sweeteners ending in the suffix "-ose," such as maltose, fructose, etc., should be avoided. However, certain sugar alcohols, such as maltitol, do not affect blood sugar and are acceptable.

Saccharin has been extensively studied, and harmful effects were produced in the lab when fed to rats only in extremely high doses. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has removed saccharin from its list of carcinogens, basing its decision upon a thorough review of the medical literature and the National Institute of Science’s statement that there is "no clear association between saccharin and human cancer." It can be safely consumed in moderation, meaning no more than three packets a day. Saccharin is marketed as Sweet'n Low™.

The Atkins preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda™), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA recently approved it after reviewing more than 100 studies conducted over the past 20 years. Note that each packet of sugar substitute contains about 1 gram of carbohydrate, so don’t forget to include the amount in your daily totals.

Acceptable Beverages
Be sure to drink a minimum of eight eight-ounce glasses of water each day, including: filtered water, mineral water, spring water, and tap water

Additionally, you can have the following:

Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label)
Club soda
Decaffeinated coffee or tea*
Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda™); be sure to count the carbs
Essence-flavored seltzer (must say "no calories")
Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar added)
Lemon juice or lime juice (note that each contains 1.4 grams carbohydrate per Tablespoon); limit to two to three tablespoons

*Excessive caffeine may cause unstable blood sugar and should be avoided by those who suspect they are caffeine dependent. Everyone should try to avoid caffeine. Grain beverages (coffee substitutes) are not allowed. Alcoholic beverages are also not permitted during Induction; those low in carbohydrates are an option, in moderation, in later phases.

Convenience Foods
Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content.

While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don’t overdo it. Remember, you must always follow The Rules of Induction.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
I agree with cinglessofme. Get the book for whatever plan you want to follow and read it cover to cover. Understand what you are doing, and the why, and the plan becomes easier to follow. Blips along the way do not distress you so much. There will probably be suggestions in whatever book you use for how to deal with slow/no loss. Those suggestions will vary depending upon the nature of the plan.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #58
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Joe, forgive me if I'm saying something that's already been said. I read a number of posts on the first page then scanned down page two and here I am posting. I saw your typical daily menu and frankly it looks fine except I don't see much added fat.

When you make your scrambled eggs, do you add butter to them? I used to sauté up some diced bits of onion or mushrooms and get those nice and softened and then add the scrambled eggs. When it hit the plate, it got more butter added to it.

Do you like Tuna fish? It's great and it packs a big wallop of fat vs protein when you add lots of mayo. Again, you can slip some onion in that as well and eat it with a fork or put on pork rinds. (Use the plain ones. The flavored ones have MSG and will mess you up.)

The diet Doo is probably fine but maybe not just as a stand-alone drink. How about eating something fatty when you drink one. And I would cut back on the cheese. I know someone else said 3 ounces is the limit but I could go as high as 4 and be okay.

Regarding the Brussels and Asparagus, there are quick Hollandaise sauce recipes out there that will up the fat vs carb ration when you eat the veggies. And I personally love mayo on the Brussels. (My late husband taught me that one.)

You mentioned coffee, I think. Heavy cream or half and half will be yummy and help the cause.

Lastly, if you drink a lot of water, you will have disappointing results on the ketone strips.

So try to make your diet mostly about fat, with moderate amounts of protein and very low carbs. Doing that, I'll bet you'll see much faster results. Fat, fat, fat. You can't go wrong that way. I hope you find what works for you.

My Journal.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote