Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bcbcb
omword! there is so much info....im lost

Im not new to lc in the sense that ive done slow carb diet before. After baby #2 it worked great, 20lb in 2 months. I was thinking about trying a traditional lc and came here for more info and am overwhelmed. Im a lil older this time and now have a third baby to lose weight from.

Questions:
1. Are total carbs more important than net carbs?
2. I have to use metamucil and colace every few days bc of lc, any other ideas?
3. I have 20lb to lose, how long should i expect that to take on a lc diet? I was expecting 2ish months again.
4. Is cycling in/out ketosis okay?
5. I do plyo type home exercises....push ups, burpees, buy not always daily.....whats a good plan?
6. Spaghetti sauce a staller?
Im exclusively nursing, nights are rough, im experiencing bad hip, leg cramps. 3 kids at home 5, 2.5 & 3 months so stress can be high at times. I wanted a beer soo bad last night

So, ive increased my fat by vco yesterday in order to cut the legumes i would normally eat. This is my 3rd time and maybe age, hormones, whathaveyou is making it more difficult to drop this stubborn baby weight.

Advice? Tips?
bcbcb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
They are for some, not so much for others. Record what you eat (so you're also counting those hidden carbs (like in eggs) and then if you aren't losing, you can tweak however you need to.

Never had that problem until the last 2 weeks but then I've just started retaking my diuretic because the humidity is causing me to hold bunches of fluid. I think, as a result, I now have to take Metamucil (use the sugar free version). I even have to take it 3x a day right now just to function.

3. I have 20lb to lose, how long should i expect that to take on a lc diet? I was expecting 2ish months again.
The more you have to lose, the faster you will usually lose...at first. Age plays a part...the younger you are, the faster you tend to lose. Your own metabolism...whether you have health issues or take medications that might slow the process down. There are any number of reasons that 20 lbs is doable...or unreasonable.

Clarify. Do you mean going from a low carb to a high carb diet...then you'll most likely find you won't lose...and may even gain depending on how many calories you're eating on the low carb. If you mean doing induction (below 20gm of carbs per day) to slightly higher...still low but high enough to push you out of ketosis...then the only problem I see is that you may lose the appetite suppressant effect of ketosis and carb cravings may come back. That's unique to the individual as well.

5. I do plyo type home exercises....push ups, burpees, buy not always daily.....whats a good plan?

Any movement is good.

Tomatoes are high in carbs so I would think spaghetti sauce would always be too high.

Advice? Tips?
I find that when we *expect* a certain weight loss in a set time period, we inevitably will be disappointed which many times leads to getting frustrated, disgusted and cheating. Set your dietary limits and be consistent. Keep a food log (several good ones on the web) so you know (and don't just have a vague guesstimate) how much protein, fat and carbs you're eating. Then, if after 3-4 weeks of no loss, you have some place to start to ask for advice to help tweak your diet.

Be patient.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbcb View Post
Questions:
Im exclusively nursing, nights are rough, im experiencing bad hip, leg cramps. 3 kids at home 5, 2.5 & 3 months so stress can be high at times. I wanted a beer soo bad last night

Advice? Tips?
1. Everyone needs to find their own carb limit. I use total because I'm not convinced about sugar alcohols, and to a degree, fiber being 'calorie free' parts of carbs. Plus, it makes the math easier for what I track.
2.For constipation ,try upping the salt in your diet, if you're not on bp meds/heart meds.
Another idea is one of the magnesium forms-- magnesium citrate causes some to go more often. Excess of vitamin C is safe and makes some people go, but I don't think I'd advocate megadosing of vitamins while nursing.
3.We're all different. It's possible to lose 20 lbs in 2 months, but it isn't guaranteed. This is a repeat round for me. I've lost 19 in 7 weeks, and I'm old.
4. I don't cycle, because the newer science says it takes a long while to get back into a state of ketosis after a forray with carbs.
5. no answer---all I do is walk.
6.Spag sauce is too many carbs at one sitting for me. Your tolerance may be different.
7. Cramps--- potassium. 4 of the little 99 mg ones daily, or find a 495 mg tablet at drug stores and take 1 a day.

Last edited by emel; 07-19-2013 at 09:00 AM..
emel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #4

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
That is a lot of young kids at home. Certainly stressful.
How many carbs do you eat a day? What are you eating?
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Did you breastfeed with your previous kids? If so you are a old hand.
If not, I'd caution to ease into drastic changes in diet. The baby will take what s/he needs and may leave you short of certain nutritients. I'd try to build in foods with high potassium, maybe not bananas, but things like avocado, pumpkins seeds and such so that your diet has more naturally occurring potassium. The baby will take increasing amounts of nourishment from you so I'd just ease into low carb more slowly that you have in the past.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Hey bcbcb

I would recommend you to read as much as you can about low carb. You can find in this forum great information and a lot of knowledgeable people who can help you.

Just remember that everyone is different. I personally do ok with net carbs. But I do not eat anything that would kick me out of Ketosis, or more than 20 net carbs a day. Granted, I have way more weight to lose when compared to you.

As Bella says, if you are nursing and with a lot of stress, i will take it easy and may be try to lose the weight a little later.

At the end thou, it is up to you...

Good Luck!!!
Third Weight Goal = 220 Pounds
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for all the info!

My typical day is:
B: 4 eggs/handful spinach/3p turkey bacon all cooked in vco, coffee, one serving creamer and vco
L:either 2-3chicken sausages/broccoli or burger patty and sauted squash/spinach
S:can of salmon......maybe 2tbsp pb
D:generally similar to lunch.
Ive added mothers milk tea w/ vco too

Yes, i nursed my others.....#2 for 20m.

Honestly, i just want in my old clothes. Im 5'3 162lb and would like to be at 140lb, but will accept pre preg of 146lb
Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
This looks good to me.
What's in your creamer?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #9

Looks good. I'm not a mother, so I am clueless about calories needed for nursing.
Are the chicken sausages the kind with 1 carb per serving? Some can have fillers, adding to the carb count.

And now I want salmon lol.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

My creamer is my non real food crutch:/ im weaning myself off. Coffee mate o.O
The sausages are the artisian fresh.....looks like 4g/link, but its mozzarella/garlic flavor.....i'll check thabel again.

This is the lowest carb intake ive ever had....ever....it may take me a short adjustment period to fully lower my carbs.

I hope my increase in vco will replace calories lost from carbs.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbcb View Post
My creamer is my non real food crutch:/ im weaning myself off. Coffee mate o.O
The sausages are the artisian fresh.....looks like 4g/link, but its mozzarella/garlic flavor.....i'll check thabel again.

This is the lowest carb intake ive ever had....ever....it may take me a short adjustment period to fully lower my carbs.

I hope my increase in vco will replace calories lost from carbs.
VCO--- start small. 2 tsp or a tbl the first day, then increase by a couple tsp. It can cause some gastric distress if you go for it too quickly. I think 3-4 tbl is a good daily maximum, but others do more with no ill effects.

I know those sausages. I don't eat them often, but I do like those chicken and apple ones as an occasional treat.

The powdered coffeemate is 2 g carbs per teaspoon. 1 serving won't kill you, but it's better to use heavy whipping cream.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Im used to vco, been using it for cooking for a long time

Im taking baby steps. Thanks for all the advice, i know im on the right track. Just worried i will burn out on the same foods......we are on a strict budget.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Check out this thread. Lots of ideas on how to eat a good low carb diet on a budget. Eating within your low carb budget.. Several threads included
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote