Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Who was the first one to really notice you were losing weight? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/808254-who-first-one-really-notice-you-were-losing-weight.html)

Garlic 07-18-2013 12:07 PM

Who was the first one to really notice you were losing weight?

I believe I have said here before that someone may have said they have noticed I am losing weight..... LOL, or maybe not, because maybe nobody did. But this morning I took my daughters to their dentist appointment, and the dental hygienist / receptionist DEFINITELY noticed. We go back so long that I guess she felt she could say this to me, and I was fine with it.... in fact, more than fine with it.... She said "You're looking good. I can see for sure in your face that you're losing weight. No more double chin!"

OK, that might upset some people, but not me. I was thrilled to have someone finally, definitely, notice and say something. It made my day, for sure.

And she is right on.... the ONE PLACE on my body that I can see the difference finally, is my face.

Ntombi 07-18-2013 02:16 PM

My neighbor was the first to notice a few months ago, but a few people have said something lately.

My doctor has said something on both my latest visits. Yesterday she said I was looking much thinner. A bit of an exaggeration, but nice to hear it's becoming noticeable.

One of my closest friends said she sees it a few days ago, which was one of the best boosts. She sees me all the time, and it isn't easy to see when you see someone that often, plus, she's really blunt and wouldn't say it if she didn't mean it.

SadieJack 07-18-2013 02:58 PM

The little neighbor girl said "huccum you aren't so fat anymore" :p

from the mouths of babes............:lol:

Aomiel 07-18-2013 02:59 PM

My husband...when he put his arms around me and said, "Hmmm...there's less of you."

35down 07-18-2013 03:20 PM

No one has said anything to me except Husband, but am still wearing my now baggy capris and 2XLT men's t-shirts so weight loss is baggy clothes covered up still. Husband had to buy a size smaller jean shorts last week as he was constantly "hitching" his old ones up. But I am the only one who has said "Looking slimmer, hon!"

Fun to read everyone's answers.

Best wishes to everyone on your weight loss journey!

Patience 07-18-2013 03:34 PM

No one has said anything to me yet.

DiamondDeb 07-18-2013 03:40 PM

I honestly don't remember who it was... :dunno:

I DO recall that it took a lot longer than I thought it should for someone to say something. I felt like throwing a party when someone finally mentioned it. :birthday: :laugh:

Now I get comments like, "You're still losing weight, aren't you? I can tell."

cinglessofme 07-18-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16521217)
I DO recall that it took a lot longer than I thought it should for someone to say something. I felt like throwing a party when someone finally mentioned it. :birthday: :laugh:

Ditto! Six months and 40 lbs later, TODAY was the first time anyone said anything.

DiamondDeb 07-18-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinglessofme (Post 16521223)
Ditto! Six months and 40 lbs later, TODAY was the first time anyone said anything.

:jumpjoy: :birthday: :jumpjoy:

Ntombi 07-18-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinglessofme (Post 16521223)

Congratulations!!

The bigger we are, the longer it takes, unfortunately. Also, it yours still dressing in your big clothes, it's harder to see the differences in our shape.

cinglessofme 07-18-2013 04:22 PM

NTOMBI and DiamondDeb thanks for the congratulations. The best thing was the first to notice was my EX :jumpjoy:!!!!! It felt awwwwesome. I was cheesing from ear to ear.

Arctic_Mama 07-18-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

I honestly don't remember who it was... :dunno:

Now I get comments like, "You're still losing weight, aren't you? I can tell."

Yeah, I've been getting comments for years now. I don't remember who was first, but probably a church friend. I've gotten a few in the past week though - a church friend I don't see that often, my mom over Skype, and my dad and stepmom over FaceTime. All said I looked great/much thinner. So even though its been a multiple year process, apparently I just hit another spot where it's glaringly obvious to people :high5:

NewestAtkinsFan 07-18-2013 05:16 PM

I started Atkins back in April. It took exactly 28 days from the day I started Atkins for someone to notice. It was a co-worker and she asked me if I was sick. hehe. I told her "No, Not sick, I'm trying to lose some weight." Her response, "well, it's working. Keep it up!"

I've said it before, and will continue to say it; the scale could say I lost 10lbs in one week, but NOTHING compares to the feeling you get when someone pulls you aside and compliments you on the smaller/slimmer/leaner you! One of the best feelings in the world... just my humble opinion. :jumpjoy: :up: :clap:

NewestAtkinsFan 07-18-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieJack (Post 16521150)
The little neighbor girl said "huccum you aren't so fat anymore" :p

from the mouths of babes............:lol:

LOL, That's terrific! Thank you for sharing that with us!!! :hyst: :rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16521153)
My husband...when he put his arms around me and said, "Hmmm...there's less of you."

Well... I don't know if that comment deserves a kiss, a slap, or a combination of the two. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16521206)
No one has said anything to me yet.

Hang in there, they will. Every week I'm noticing little changes about myself-- calf muscles are getting toned, stomach not so flabby, stretch marks receding/not as visible. Just takes a little time. :up:

KJack 07-18-2013 05:50 PM

A couple of my close friends said that they could tell; especially in my face. :-) earlier this week!

DiamondDeb 07-18-2013 06:19 PM

This thread caused me to think about possible future comments... Not that I look forward to compliments or anything... :D

My brother & SIL were here for a visit January 11. I have lost a lot of fat & inches since then. They just let us know they will be coming for the weekend of September 20th. That is 9 weeks from now. It will have been over 8 months from the last time they saw me! There is going to be a big difference in how I look! :kicking:

thatphdguy 07-18-2013 08:08 PM

Nobody so far...I lost 16 pounds give and take and not a single comment

Garlic 07-18-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatphdguy (Post 16521520)

PHD, and you know I like you.... we started at about the same.... it took about 60 pounds to get that first compliment..... at least for me.... keep your head up....

Jrw85705 07-18-2013 08:28 PM

It wasn't until I had lost over 25 pounds and it was a waitress who I hadn't seen since I started low carb and who I have known for years. She came to the table and said wow you look great. It looks like you've lost a lot of weight. As she was walking away she stopped, came back to the table and asked me real quietly "It's a good thing, right?". And I said its a very good thing.

That made my day.

UghNowWhat 07-18-2013 08:37 PM

I finally started up Low carb again when I was gaining weight..even though I know it was only water but I was pushing a new decade of numbers I hadn't seen in years even though it was only 6 pounds or so. I've always managed to stay under that number and was bloated that much for about a week before I had enough.

Lost 13 pounds since then, the lowest I've been in over a year. I estimate that only 5 or 6 was actual fat. My mother noticed and she sees me often. It kind of bugged me though.. like just that 13lbs was making me THAT huge? My half blind grandmother also noticed..but I think she's just not used to seeing me in stretchy type jeans which I don't wear often. I've only been wearing them again because they're big/loose which makes them comfortable.

Ntombi 07-18-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatphdguy (Post 16521520)

Sixteen pounds is an accomplishment, but when you're as big as we are, it takes more to notice. Think of a roll of paper towels. When you take one sheet off a large roll, it doesn't make a noticeable dent, but the smaller the roll, the more of a difference once sheet makes. At around 300 pounds, it takes a lot of pounds to make a visible dent, just like it takes more to move down a size. I know it's frustrating, but you'll get there.

Gibbs 07-18-2013 08:58 PM

Hubby was first to notice the boobies were going. My co-worker Natalie noticed at about 20# gone, in my face and neck.

kilogirl78 07-18-2013 10:25 PM

My mum. I usually wear baggy clothes so when I wear form fitting clothes, I get the compliments. Today a guy at work told me"hey, you have lost a lot of weight. I can tell in your face. You look a lot better than when you're (here is when he blew out his cheeks)" :lol: good thing I'm thick skinned.

Aomiel 07-19-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan (Post 16521354)
Well... I don't know if that comment deserves a kiss, a slap, or a combination of the two. LOL

Definitely a kiss. The man has *never* commented on my weight, even when I gained 110 pounds after we married. So I took it as an observation than he can pull me closer rather than a "you're not so fat". :D

mamabat 07-19-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

That's how I felt too!! I think I was 30 in when I got the first comment (that wasn't from my husband). A mom at my son's school, who is skinny, fit and gorgeous commented and it seems like that just opened the door to everyone noticing.

I'm feeling good about myself for the first time in years, so, I am loving the compliments. :D

thatphdguy 07-19-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlic (Post 16521524)
PHD, and you know I like you.... we started at about the same.... it took about 60 pounds to get that first compliment..... at least for me.... keep your head up....

Oh I know...Thanks Garlic...In my line of work, I do not receive many "complimets" anyway :hiya:

thatphdguy 07-19-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16521562)
Sixteen pounds is an accomplishment, but when you're as big as we are, it takes more to notice. Think of a roll of paper towels. When you take one sheet off a large roll, it doesn't make a noticeable dent, but the smaller the roll, the more of a difference once sheet makes. At around 300 pounds, it takes a lot of pounds to make a visible dent, just like it takes more to move down a size. I know it's frustrating, but you'll get there.

Thanks Ntombi...You are really kind...

At the end of the day, this is not about compliments; it is about health. But, once in a while, it is nice someone noticing.

emel 07-19-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatphdguy (Post 16522251)
Thanks Ntombi...You are really kind...

At the end of the day, this is not about compliments; it is about health. But, once in a while, it is nice someone noticing.

I can't see your shape, but I can tell that your brain and your mindset about eating are quite fit.
Does that count?

baileygirl3 07-20-2013 08:49 AM

My family knew I was dieting so I won't include them, the first one to notice was my my sons best friend...too funny...then he told his mom who now brings me food every time I turn around cause she is worried I am not eating enough.