LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Intentionally testing your resolve?

I imagine this is more for people like myself, who are relatively new to low carb..... do you ever intentionally go out of the way to test your resolve?

Like today, it is 97 degrees here, and I didn't feel like cooking, so I decided to take my kids to Olive Garden..... And my 2 favorite things at Olive Garden are the bread sticks, and the gnocchi soup....

Well, I watched my kids eat the bread sticks and the gnocchi soup, as well as the salad, while I just had the salad...... It kind of stinks to pay $6.99 for just salad at lunch, but the salad there is so good, that I didn't mind........ that much, LOL.

Yes, it was a little bit of self induced torture, but it was good to know that I can handle it... and it wasn't that hard, really. But later, we walked past the bakery in a supermarket called Wegman's, and THAT was really hard..... I think there are certain things that I will never really "get over" not having, but I will win by not having any.

Anybody else ever test their resolve on purpose?
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
No, I don't intentionally do it but I am often in situations like that, and it feels good to conquer them. If I want to hang out with a friend who is dying for pizza then I go along to their favorite tiny pizza place (that has amazing pizza but nothing else that's worth eating) because I want to spend time with them and can eat nothing or pick at a salad.

I can also buy sweets for other people and all sorts of high carb food and keep that in my house and not be tempted.

So I don't intentionally test myself but I also don't stop living life and don't shy away from social situations just because the food there will be all high carb.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
So I don't intentionally test myself but I also don't stop living life and don't shy away from social situations just because the food there will be all high carb
Same here.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #4

I don't ever have to go out of my way to be in the presence of tons of things that aren't on my plan and might tempt me. It's everywhere. My partner eats food that I don't, or I am out to eat with people having toast and hashbrowns and I just eat my omelet. I go grocery shopping and there is the bakery with all that bread and stuff. It's a holiday and everybody else is eating starchy side dishes and having desserts.

It doesn't bother me, but it's more like I have to go out of my way to be in my own little haven at home where that stuff isn't around.

Garlic, you already have posted about difficulties on vacation with your family, watching them eat all sorts of things you don't eat. So I wouldn't purposefully do that to yourself if I were you. I understand that you're proud of yourself for resisting.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Never, never, never! My resolve kicks in when I decide not to go to Olive Garden bc I refuse to take a chance like that for no good reason. Not that it's not fine for you, just for me any likelihood of me not making it through makes it a no brainer to avoid it if possible.

Sadly, it's not always possible or practical to sheild myself from temptation. I study almost every day at Starbucks where there are tempting pasteries bc I study well there. I also have taken my kids out for donuts a bunch of times (donuts are a huge temptation for me), have gotten them countless other treats, gone to b'day parties w them (I am partial to that costco cake everyone gets, it might be about my favorite thing in the world, lol). In a couple of weeks I'm having a potluck party for my kids where I'm likely to have to be handling lots of sweets and other yummies. So, I think my daily life is full of tests. The last thing I want to do is purposely add on to that.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

To me, not much beats "winning".... and today I felt like I won.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Never, never, never! My resolve kicks in when I decide not to go to Olive Garden bc I refuse to take a chance like that for no good reason. Not that it's not fine for you, just for me any likelihood of me not making it through makes it a no brainer to avoid it if possible.
Yeah...this. As a general rule it doesn't bother me to go out to eat and sit at the same table as people eating things I can't have...but I sure don't go out of my way to 'test' myself. I feel like my resolve is tested when I just make it through the day staying on plan and that leaves me feeling like I've 'won'.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Yeah...this. As a general rule it doesn't bother me to go out to eat and sit at the same table as people eating things I can't have...but I sure don't go out of my way to 'test' myself. I feel like my resolve is tested when I just make it through the day staying on plan and that leaves me feeling like I've 'won'.

Haha, now that my confidence is growing since the scale is finally moving, I am sure I am becoming more "hardcore"...... At some point I just know I will be too hardcore if the the scale keeps moving.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Garlic! Are you in Cherry Hill or Warrington?
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I agree it may be more appropriate for first-time newbies.

No, I don't & never did even when my WOE was new to me.

I've made permanent lifestyle changes & there really is no tempting me. Seriously. I am a rock. I believe this may be thanks to the very strong "stubborn" genes I inherited.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
No, I don't intentionally do it but I am often in situations like that, and it feels good to conquer them. If I want to hang out with a friend who is dying for pizza then I go along to their favorite tiny pizza place (that has amazing pizza but nothing else that's worth eating) because I want to spend time with them and can eat nothing or pick at a salad.

I can also buy sweets for other people and all sorts of high carb food and keep that in my house and not be tempted.

So I don't intentionally test myself but I also don't stop living life and don't shy away from social situations just because the food there will be all high carb.
I never avoid socializing because of my WOE.

I almost feel guilty because I don't feel at all tempted even when surrounded by junk food and having people telling me to try it. I don't experience the "Yes! I stuck to plan!" joy because there is never any doubt that I will.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
To me, not much beats "winning".... and today I felt like I won.
I get this feeling. I do feel it when I make it through a tough situation. I'm still proud of myself for getting through certain occasions that happened nearly three years ago. lol I do feel great after a food-centered event that I've survived. But I often don't feel so great during. I know that I can be thoroughly dedicated one minute and then fall off the wagon somehow the next.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
Garlic! Are you in Cherry Hill or Warrington?

Neither.... I'm 40 miles from there.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
I don't ever have to go out of my way to be in the presence of tons of things that aren't on my plan and might tempt me. It's everywhere. My partner eats food that I don't, or I am out to eat with people having toast and hashbrowns and I just eat my omelet. I go grocery shopping and there is the bakery with all that bread and stuff. It's a holiday and everybody else is eating starchy side dishes and having desserts.

It doesn't bother me, but it's more like I have to go out of my way to be in my own little haven at home where that stuff isn't around.

Garlic, you already have posted about difficulties on vacation with your family, watching them eat all sorts of things you don't eat. So I wouldn't purposefully do that to yourself if I were you. I understand that you're proud of yourself for resisting.
I agree with every word. I cook for my metabolically normal family three to four times a day. Dinner tonight is pizza, for example. I don't have to seek temptation out, it is everywhere constantly. But I resist it continually and am happy I am easily able to do so and have my own food to enjoy.

Unless you're in a really zen place with your diet and the process, I'd not poke that beehive intentionally. It would be one thing if you were content and not struggling, but some of the other posts you have made indicate a wiser choice would be to avoid like crazy and then just abstain when you have to

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I never avoid socializing because of my WOE.

I almost feel guilty because I don't feel at all tempted even when surrounded by junk food and having people telling me to try it. I don't experience the "Yes! I stuck to plan!" joy because there is never any doubt that I will.
It's a nice but weird place to be, isn't it? I recognize there is 'tempting' stuff around me all the time, in this house. But truly, it's not even a choice anymore. I just don't eat things like that and that's all there is to it.

I recognize I'm unusual in this regard, though, that I have Papa Murphy's coming in the door, s'more fixings in my cabinet, bread and fruit on my counter, and icecream in the freezer while eating an induction menu for weeks on end - and somehow am not bothered at all
Old 07-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
I just don't eat things like that and that's all there is to it.
I'm so jealous and super irritated that there's no way for me to ever be in that place bc have to eat sugar several times a week bc of my blood sugar. It sucks that I am required to have dribs and drabs of my drug of choice. Sigh...
Old 07-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #17

Quote:
It's a nice but weird place to be, isn't it? I recognize there is 'tempting' stuff around me all the time, in this house. But truly, it's not even a choice anymore. I just don't eat things like that and that's all there is to it.

I recognize I'm unusual in this regard, though, that I have Papa Murphy's coming in the door, s'more fixings in my cabinet, bread and fruit on my counter, and icecream in the freezer while eating an induction menu for weeks on end - and somehow am not bothered at all
Yes, it is very nice. I wish everyone could experience this "weird" place.

And, to be clear, it is not a feeling of deprivation at all. It is being happy with one's healthy choices. There are no struggles to eat clean. It is just how I eat. Other people around me eat differently & that is fine.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Yeah, it's not as though I go around feeling bombarded with some kind of relentless sense of personal temptation. Like you, I am content with accepting how I eat and how I don't eat. It's just that I strongly feel I cannot afford to assume I am above a sudden, random craving or urge. I don't need to prepare myself for all the times I'm indifferent to the wide array of foods available in this culture; those times are the norm--it's automatic pilot. I need to be prepared for if and when some unexpected desire comes at me sideways out of nowhere.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I do not have your resolve and self-control Garlic...Yet...
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Well, see, except for one meal which I knowingly cheated, and wanted to accept, my issues HAVE NOT been that I actually cheated. Yes, before, I have wanted to, and have been tempted to, but did not cheat. Take away that single meal which was sort of special circumstances that I was fine with, I have yet to cheat.

I have NO FEAR of this stuff anymore. I doubt I will ever give in to spur of the moment cheating.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/185/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Quote:

I too cook for a 'normal' household. I make mashed potatoes, spaghetti, homemade pizza, cakes, cookies, and buy lots of chips, pretzels and fruit. I just don't eat it. Not one taste. If I lick my finger when baking chocolate chip cookies, or just have a broken off piece of one, I am a gonner. So I just don't eat that stuff. Eating mostly protein and fat with one serving of veggies per day keeps my appetite in check and the cravings go away. I also cut out nuts and that helped to make the snacking impulse go away. I am in a good place right now. I love it here.

dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Yes, it is very nice. I wish everyone could experience this "weird" place.

And, to be clear, it is not a feeling of deprivation at all. It is being happy with one's healthy choices. There are no struggles to eat clean. It is just how I eat. Other people around me eat differently & that is fine.
Agreed. I think this only works in my head because I'm truly content with my eating and enjoy my food. I don't long for what I see my family eat - I remember it being yummy, sure, but my own fare is yummy, too. And makes me feel far better after eating it!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I'm so jealous and super irritated that there's no way for me to ever be in that place bc have to eat sugar several times a week bc of my blood sugar. It sucks that I am required to have dribs and drabs of my drug of choice. Sigh...
That must make it so hard on you And there's really not much of an alternative for a type 1, is there?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #24

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I would just go to a restaurant that everyone could enjoy. I am not tempted by carbs, but why make life harder than necessary?
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #25
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Garlic, I can remember being in situations that I wasn't sure how I was going to navigate them without compromising my woe and the feeling of accomplishment I got when I found that it was fine. Definitely a learning curve involved. After some time and such experience I was able to come to the conclusion that it is very doable and I love it.

I have learned strategies for these situations and like a lot of people have said, I have no desire what so ever to eat foods that are not part of my plan. You will get to that point over time and look back on this as on of the first stepping stones. It is a very good place to be!!!

Btw, great job!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I have been maintaining at goal now for years but I never say never. Do I still sometimes get tempted when I see certain high carb foods and want to eat them ? Of course! Especially when they are homemade and I know how good they really are. Those foods are delicious and not inherently bad just because they have some flour and sugar. I do eat high carb foods because I am in maintenance but those are always planned beforehand. So I decide okay tonight I will have the really good pizza. What I don't like is seeing a food and wanting to eat it right away just because it is there and feeling like it's out of my control.

Many here have difficulty with that as well as shown by the posts of people going off plan in a spur of the moment decision in restaurants, vacations, work, other people's homes, when someone brings a favorite food for them, etc.

That doesn't prevent me from living life and going to places with those foods but I don't do it on purpose. And, this works well for me. Somehow it feels different to be surrounded by high carb foods for a purpose (like wanting to go out with friends) rather than just doing it to do it.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 07-19-2013 at 08:24 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #27
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I am totally committed to eating low carb, both for health and long-term weight management. I've been successfully maintaining my loss of almost 200 lbs for three years--but it's been due to constant vigilance.

I am totally satisfied with my food choices, but I doubt there's anyone like me (who was morbidly obese for many, many years) who would ever consider him or herself immune from temptation--to eat off plan and/or to compulsively overeat.

So I follow the advice that some of my alcoholic friends have learned from AA--avoid situations that can cause the urge to indulge.

For example, in my supermarket, the case where they have the Kerrygold butter is right next to their fantastic bakery--and I have to go out of my way to buy butter and avoid the bakery. So I go out of my way.

Ice cream is my weakness--and my store keeps it in the same aisle as the condiments. So in order to buy a harmless jar of mustard, I must pass the ice cream freezers on my right. So I only look at the condiment shelves on my left. This may seem extreme, but it has become habit.

I don't want to excite the toddler who resides in my lower brain and demands instant gratification. She's very strong and easily wins, to it's best to keep her asleep. But I know she's there, and that's why I would never intentionally test my resolve. It gets tested enough in daily life.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
All people measure their success differently. Setting up goals and facing challenges is a natural part of weight loss and as individual as each person. I don't see testing ones resolve any different than attempting to finish an aerobic class, excercise regimen , fitting into a pair of jeans or eating super clean . It's personal and kudos to you for facing it with success.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I would just go to a restaurant that everyone could enjoy. I am not tempted by carbs, but why make life harder than necessary?

We all love Olive Garden!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That must make it so hard on you And there's really not much of an alternative for a type 1, is there?
NO! lol Actually, I have managed to steer clear of lows if I don't exercise, but I've decided that exercise is worth the trade off. Still, I feel sorry for myself, sometimes. But it might be possible to get to a place at some point where I'm so good at all of this that I don't have lows even when exercising. But I really don't know if it's possible to be type I, in very good control, and not have lows while exercising. Maybe I will prove that it can be done... But for the time being, feeling sorry for myself! lol