Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Lack of Energy or Boundless Energy?

I jacked another thread and it was suggested that I start a new thread and ask this question. I keep hearing people speak of having LOTS of new found energy and even sleeping less on lc or ketogenic eating plans. While I have experienced a lot of good health improvements like all the gastrointestinal issues I was plagued with have all but disappeared, with the exception of heartburn here and there, and the hives and mouth ulcers I had due to some food intolerance/allergy I suffered with are also gone. That said, I am just as tired and lethargic eating lc as I was eating a high carb diet. As I wrote in the other thread I feel cheated.

I Have been low carbing this time around since January 2013 and down 40 lbs. I have eaten super clean since March. I cant post a link to my food tracker here but my definition of clean is 20 TOTAL carbs a day from green veggies (sometimes sun dried tomatoes- a couple times a month), occasionally Fage Total Greek yogurt, ground flax seed, I count the carbs in eggs, cheese (no more than 4 oz a day), sour cream (when eaten its 2 TBSP) and I eat a ton of mayo (counted at 1 Carb per TBSP). The only processed foods I eat are a Scott Peterson polish sausage when I grill which has been twice so far this summer. They count at 4 carbs per sausage but I make sure to factor them into my daily allowance and I have bacon practically everyday. I eat cracklins when I have them on hand and when that TOM comes around I will have 2-3 squares of 85% dark chocolate with a TBSP of natural crunchy PB. Again keep in mind, the above foods are consumed if they fix into my 20 total carb limit for the day, the rest is filled with healthy fat and protein. My fat is usually between 65-85% and protein between 75-125 grams. Im trying NOT to get caught up in all the macronutrient stuff cause it's to convoluted for my brain to handle and makes this feel more like a diet than a WOL plus Dr. A didnt really stress that in the 2002 New diet Revolution. However, I think its important to give you all the facts since im asking for advice and opinions. Lastly, Im 40, Female and currently 225 lbs.

I am on Atkins, 2002 New Diet Revolution, an extended induction.

I also should mention I take one, low dose, dose hypertension medication everyday

So my question is this: am I the only one who is eating clean and not experiencing increased energy? Anyone out there still tired? Can anyone who has this boundless energy offer suggestions on how to make it into this "club"?
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moss11
Hi Cinglessofme

Like you I have never found that energy! I averaged 20 carbs daily for two months. 65%f, 10%c, rest protein. Stuck to it for two months but have recently raised carbs to nearer 40 to get back to where I was energy wise? I wasn't looking for an increase but I would have liked to stay the same. Not been at the higher rate long enough to see a difference, but it was no good lacking get up and go. Hope you find something that works for you!
Moss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am tired some days, but the trend is toward more energy. But it is not uniform energy everyday. So I am not the one to offer advice, but just to say there may be a big middleground.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I've never noticed a difference in my energy levels while doing LC. No better, no worse. The only big change I noticed (besides weight loss) was I didn't get sick near as much.
Crazy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
At first I had the increase of energy. But now, nope it's gone! I Do have health issues that can make me tired so I usually chalk it up to that.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Maybe more energy.... I am sleeping better since my blood sugar went down, so in that sense, maybe.... But by no means do I have a ton of energy.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I have had periods of boundless energy, but I do think my baseline is higher even if I'm not boundless.

I wonder if it could help to add even more fat. It's no fair!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
I've been LC for two years this month, with variations of my macros and calories over time but almost always in ketosis, and I have never had this 'energy' thing happen. I felt worse for the first several months, but once my body adapted and I got rid of the worst of the inflammation offenders I finally started to feel at least a little better than I did before LC. But no extra energy. It is nice not to ache all of the time though. My blood pressure is down to almost normal and I've lost more than 50 pounds, so it is totally worth it.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/127/<119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/5:2
Start Date: May, 2011
I was tired before I started eating LC in May of 2011 and I'm still tired.

I've been working out consistently since 2005, that has not made a difference for me either, though many who work out claim it increases their energy.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
I find when I eat less protein and more fat I have boundless amounts of energy.

GUess we are all different
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
To be honest, I don't know what to suggest since it looks like you're doing everything right. Could it possibly be your meds? Then again, it looks like a lot of people didn't get that energy boost.

My fat is around 60-65% (try to stay to 60 most of the time) and my protein is around 80-85gm. Carbs (only from green,non-starchy vegies) at less than 25. Still...your numbers aren't that different from mine.

I do have lots of energy now (didn't used to)...but not boundless.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
How is your sleep, and are you sure you are not deficient in a vitamin or mineral?
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Moss11, Crazy Cat, PrincessMommy, solarpluvia, MargD

I thought I was alone in the low energy department! However, it seems we are all in the same club

Bella, Garlic, rubidoux, Aomiel consider yourselves fortunate It sucks being tired all-the-time.

Thank you all for your responses.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
How is your sleep, and are you sure you are not deficient in a vitamin or mineral?
I admit I do not get the eight hours my body really requires. I average bout six hours a night. although I must say those six hours are more of a sound sleep then before low-carbing. Someone else suggested I maybe low in Vitamin D, which could be true since I hate the sun, I try to avoid it as much as possible, I know - counterproductive.

Unfortunately, I am uninsured, like millions of other Americans, and therefore do not have a true way to measure if my minerals or Vitamin D is low.

I take a GNC Mega Women Ultra Multi-Vitamin (I may have the names in this vitamin transposed), Omega 3 Fish Oils, B Complex and Vitamin D supplement everyday and drink two liters of San Pellegrino or Gerolsteiner both of which have the highest amount of Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium available in waters.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Could it possibly be your meds?
You know they very well could be the issue . I've been on them about three years and I certainly gained 50 lbs since starting them. I also feel strongly they were responsible for the sleep disruption I experienced during the 2 1/2 years I was taking them prior to low-carbing again. My sleep has been much more of a sound sleep since starting this WOL again.

I am striving really hard to get this weight off in the hopes I can stop taking the meds. When I was diagnosed my Physician, at the time, conducted a battery of test to determine if my diagnosis was secondary to another disease, it was not. He pretty much chalked it up to a sedentary lifestyle, obesity, heredity and a high sodium diet. Therefore, I am hopeful I can reverse this. Besides costing upwards of $200 per month the medication has THE worst side effects. I have never really felt myself since starting them.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
The only thing I noticed is that I do not need to take a nap during the day, after I eat.
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jaws
I am one of those people that became addicted to a ketogenic diet because of what I call the "lightbulb effect." By that I mean that when I follow that kind of diet, when I start to move around, I get a distinct warm, almost euphoric general-body sensation (after the first 1-3 days).

In my case, if I am sedentary, I don't seem to get that extra energy. It really kicks in once I start going mobile, though. I hope you can find your happy spot, whether it is low-carb or some other regimen!
jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinglessofme View Post
I admit I do not get the eight hours my body really requires. I average bout six hours a night. although I must say those six hours are more of a sound sleep then before low-carbing. Someone else suggested I maybe low in Vitamin D, which could be true since I hate the sun, I try to avoid it as much as possible, I know - counterproductive.

Unfortunately, I am uninsured, like millions of other Americans, and therefore do not have a true way to measure if my minerals or Vitamin D is low.

I take a GNC Mega Women Ultra Multi-Vitamin (I may have the names in this vitamin transposed), Omega 3 Fish Oils, B Complex and Vitamin D supplement everyday and drink two liters of San Pellegrino or Gerolsteiner both of which have the highest amount of Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium available in waters.
The pellagrino has half the magnesium (58 mg per liter) of the Gerolsteiner (108 mg per liter). I'd still supplement--women need a minimum of 320 mg, and men need a minimum of 420 mg. I take 250 mg mag daily but sometimes I take a second one if I feel like I need it.

Is your vitamin D a D3? That's what's helping me, and also my cousin just showed me her prescription for low D, and it's D3. I take 5000 IU, and if I'm feeling draggy I take another one (but I wouldn't reccommend 10,000 IU per day without a doctor's approval).

How about potassium? A deficiency can cause muscle problems, which can make a body feel tired.

The other stuff you're taking sounds great, so I'm not trying to call you a slacker or anything lol. And I do agree that mineral water is a wonderful choice--- it's just that sometimes we still need a boost along with the stuff in the good water.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:13 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws View Post
In my case, if I am sedentary, I don't seem to get that extra energy. It really kicks in once I start going mobile, though. I hope you can find your happy spot, whether it is low-carb or some other regimen!
This is my experience too. Once I start, after a bit I have so much energy I don't want to stop. Problem is, my body needs to stop or I'll have too much pain later. I dance and I just get more energy as the evening goes on, but my feet will scream. Or walking too much makes for sore hips.

I'm sleeping horribly though, and I don't necessarily blame that on LC, but the critters in my bed (dog and cat, not bugs) and summer.

I'm resorting to the occasional sleeping pill and I feel so much better once I've caught up on some real sleep.

For the most part I feel good, but not euphoric good.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:54 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Yes ...
I go through cycles,also sleep related somewhat. In the first 6 weeks I had horrible energy problems which I put down to detox . Even if you are not intentionally detoxing your body will have to as it has over the years encapsulated all the stuff it did not know how to get rid off over the years and is ow faced with the dilemma of what to do with them again. It is better equipeed to deal with it as your metabolism is not as compromised as when eating carbs. Drink a bit more water and see if it helps with energy,not buckets more just a bit.
Check yourself during the course of the day when you feel energetic and when not. If I am right you have most energy around 5pm. Good time to exercise .

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I have lots of energy when I have had enough sleep. It sounds like you need more sleep. Have you had your thyroid checked? And I mean a full thyroid panel, not just TSH....
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stacy O
Stats: 212/206/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 30 2013
For me, I guess I wouldn't say I have "boundless energy", but I definitely do not have the afternoon slumps anymore.

Last edited by Stacy O; 07-19-2013 at 06:07 AM..
Stacy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #23
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Here are a couple of things that I think may be worth trying to adjust.

The fatigue could be a symptom of thyroid issues. This should be checked out first.

Vit D3 absorption might be a problem due to a deficiency in vitamin K2. It is under diagnosed and understood but if you do a little internet research you will see that it can be an issue.

And then there are issues that can effect energy at the mitochondrial cell level. This I believe it is thought to be improved through steady and consistent 'good nutrition' (such as you are doing) and time to correct.

I can also tell you that when I finally got off my b.p. meds, it made a vast difference in how I felt. It was difficult because I have white coat syndrome and could not prove to my doc that I needed to get off them until I bought a home b.p. machine and could demonstrate that it was appropriate. It is not just about the weight loss but probably most significant is the anti-inflammatory diet that will reduce b.p..

You made a tiny mention of sodium reduction (due to b.p.) and that may also be an issue. For a better understanding of the 'salt issue', google new york times with this title...

'We only think we know the truth about salt'

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 07-19-2013 at 06:18 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AandE
Stats: 237/177/140
WOE: Low Carb-due to PCOS
Start Date: May 25, 2013
I, too, have had super low energy since I was a kid. I always joke that I am happy watching paint dry. But now I am feeling much better, not a type A energy but more alert. I am doing a max of 30 total carbs and I have lost some bloat which makes me feel "lighter" and more capable of moving. But, the most important thing is that my bariatric doctor did a blood workup that was different than what my gp usually does and found I am super deficient in B12. I have been taking a 2500mg supp. and I have noticed I do have higher energy levels than I have in the past. So, as others have mentioned it could be your meds but also you could have a deficiency in some vitamin or mineral.
Mom2AandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
I don't know about the tons of energy. I am 49 and I have always been a 9 hour a day sleeper. Since being on plan, I only sleep 7. So something big changed there.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I don't know the connection between salt and energy, but I needs lots more salt. (I've never had issues with high bood pressure, so that would be a concern.) Without enough salt I am up all night with leg cramps and that tends to make one tired the next day.

In the last few days my energy level has been higher than at any time since my restart. Long may it last. Sometimes I do take a nap midday, not often but if the situation allows and I feel sleepy, a nap! What an indulgence.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws View Post
This is me right now. I went off LC and did a 5 week trial of JUDDD... it was very enjoyable, but it didn't jump start weight loss like I had hoped it would and I know I feel better LC. I went back to LC about a week and a half ago and the last few days I've been practically bouncing off the walls. I also just finished week 5 of Couch 2 5K so have upped exercise pretty significantly. I don't know which is the true cause of this energy... I'm guessing a bit of both, but I do feel like I just want to do more & more & more, especially on running days. So weird for me, but I am certainly enjoying it!
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
If you have Atkins New Diet Revolution, he talks about thyroid issues as being a cause of obesity, and also underactive thyroid as a result of dieting. He does discuss autoimmune causes and nutritional deficiency causes as well.

He says:
The major reason for hypothyroidism that I'd like to address is simply the body's own attempts to preserve the status quo while on a weight loss program.
He puts his patients on a trial low dose of thyroid replacement.

I swear, it is there, on page 270. You can see it if you look in books on google.

Lately, I am into reading up on the body defending its fat set point. Atkins talks about this on this page as well!

Anyway, he says take your morning temperature and if it is consistently below 98, it is likely hypothyroidism.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
I take 250 mg mag daily but sometimes I take a second one if I feel like I need it.

Is your vitamin D a D3? That's what's helping me, and also my cousin just showed me her prescription for low D, and it's D3. I take 5000 IU, and if I'm feeling draggy I take another one (but I wouldn't reccommend 10,000 IU per day without a doctor's approval).

How about potassium? A deficiency can cause muscle problems, which can make a body feel tired.
My muti has 100 mg of magnesium, so if 320 is the daily requirement for women I probably am deficient by 54-100 mg or so depending on which brand of water I am drink on any given day.

Yes, am taking D3 however I only take two 2000 IU tablets a day. I know that D3 is one of those vitamins that takes a while to build up to where you can feel a difference. How long did it take before you saw a noticeable difference, if this is your experience. I can most certainly increase my daily dose.

I'm not sure about my potassium. I think the medication I take is potassium sparing. I'll have to do some research to see if I can find low-carb friendly foods I can have daily to increase potassium.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I have lots of energy when I have had enough sleep. It sounds like you need more sleep. Have you had your thyroid checked? And I mean a full thyroid panel, not just TSH....
How many times have I had a TSH, T4, T3, Thyroid Antibodies, Calcitonin, Thyroglobulin is the question. I have what i like to think of my eyes as wide and bright. Physicians on the other hand seems to see my eyes as big and bulging (along with my thick neck) because whenever I complained of being tired and over weight that is the first blood work they order. I just had a panel in the fall and everything was within range.