Old 07-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post
Good time to exercise .
I do feel better when I exercise here's the problem I'm too tired to even get started. it's a vicious cycle...
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #32

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinglessofme View Post
I'm not sure about my potassium. I think the medication I take is potassium sparing. I'll have to do some research to see if I can find low-carb friendly foods I can have daily to increase potassium.
Tuna, spinach, artichoke. If you like spinach, I'd go with that... it has more potassium per serving than bananas. One cup of boiled fresh spinach has about 839 mg of potassium. Banana has 422 mg of potassium.
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Vit D3 absorption might be a problem due to a deficiency in vitamin K2. It is under diagnosed and understood but if you do a little internet research you will see that it can be an issue.

And then there are issues that can effect energy at the mitochondrial cell level. This I believe it is thought to be improved through steady and consistent 'good nutrition' (such as you are doing) and time to correct.

I can also tell you that when I finally got off my b.p. meds, it made a vast difference in how I felt. It was difficult because I have white coat syndrome and could not prove to my doc that I needed to get off them until I bought a home b.p. machine and could demonstrate that it was appropriate. It is not just about the weight loss but probably most significant is the anti-inflammatory diet that will reduce b.p..

You made a tiny mention of sodium reduction (due to b.p.) and that may also be an issue. For a better understanding of the 'salt issue', google new york times with this title...

'We only think we know the truth about salt'

Vitamin K? This is a new one for me. I have never heard of it. I will definitely research it. I don't remember mentioned reducing sodium in the context that I am on a reduced sodium diet. I mentioned that my Physician at that time indicate that my high sodium diet in addition to being sedinatary and eating high fat were instrumental in my HBP diagnosis. To the contrary, I don't watch sodium. I use sea salt on all my food and sometimes I make cream of chicken broth soup I get plenty of salt, I love the stuff, without the bloat!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2AandE View Post
I am super deficient in B12. I have been taking a 2500mg supp. and I have noticed I do have higher energy levels than I have in the past. So, as others have mentioned it could be your meds but also you could have a deficiency in some vitamin or mineral.
B12, 2500 mcg? My b-complex has 15mcg of B12. Hum. I think the take away from all that I read is as you stated above I am deficient in some vitamin or mineral.

I think I am going to start by supplementing with:

potassium
magnesium
Vitamin B12 (Increasing)
Vitamin D3 (Increasing)
Vitamin K

I'll see if increasing and/or adding the above vitamins and minerals will make a difference over lets say the next two months. I know depending on how deficient I am in each it may take time to notice a difference but it is worth a try. I just need enough energy to get up and exercise because I know it will make a difference.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I don't know about the tons of energy. I am 49 and I have always been a 9 hour a day sleeper. Since being on plan, I only sleep 7. So something big changed there.

Heck yeah! That's huge.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
I have been blasted for this, but I'll post it again.

If you have Atkins New Diet Revolution, he talks about thyroid issues as being a cause of obesity, and also underactive thyroid as a result of dieting. He does discuss autoimmune causes and nutritional deficiency causes as well.

He says:
The major reason for hypothyroidism that I'd like to address is simply the body's own attempts to preserve the status quo while on a weight loss program.
He puts his patients on a trial low dose of thyroid replacement.

I swear, it is there, on page 270. You can see it if you look in books on google.

Lately, I am into reading up on the body defending its fat set point. Atkins talks about this on this page as well!

Anyway, he says take your morning temperature and if it is consistently below 98, it is likely hypothyroidism.
I do have a copy of the New Diet Revolution in my library. I will check this out when I am done online. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Tuna, spinach, artichoke. If you like spinach, I'd go with that... it has more potassium per serving than bananas. One cup of boiled fresh spinach has about 839 mg of potassium. Banana has 422 mg of potassium.
Thanks, you saved me the trouble of looking up potassium rich foods. I do like spinach. My favorite recipe is baby spinach stir fried in EVOO & bacon grease with minced garlic, super thinly sliced Vandalia onions, freshly cracked black pepper and sea salt, then a squeeze of fresh lemon juice right before you take it out the pan to plate it. YUMMY
Old 07-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws View Post
In my case, if I am sedentary, I don't seem to get that extra energy. It really kicks in once I start going mobile, though. I hope you can find your happy spot, whether it is low-carb or some other regimen!
My happy spot has to be on low-carb. I cant go back to the nasty gastrointestinal issues and food allergies/intolerance I was living with before low-carb-it's not an option.

I understand what you mean about being sedentary. I often joke it takes a whole lotta of energy to do a whole lot of nothing. Problem is I am just-that-tired.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I found another snippet of information.

Google Jimmy Moore podcast Jack Kruse. The title of the podcast is 529: Encore Week 2012 – Nashville Neurosurgeon Dr. Jack Kruse

He answers the question:

Is there any truth to the slowed metabolism as a result of an extended low carb diet; and any related effect on thyroid health

Start at 13:00 minutes. It starts within 30 seconds after that mark.

He discusses how an extended low carb diet affects thyroid.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

KEYTONES thanks for the information. I will check out the podcast this evening when I get home.