Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Ketosis issues!!!!!!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/808228-ketosis-issues.html)

MarineMom 07-18-2013 04:57 AM

Ketosis issues!!!!!!!

:cry:

Why do i go in and out of ketosis on a daily basis. I have tracked my food intake and nothing has changed from one day to the next.

The only thing I can come up with different is I had 1/4 blackberries with cottage cheese and I started drinking sugar free creamer with my coffee. I use to make my own creamer with heavy cream and sugar free flavored syrup.

PLEASE PLEASE:aprayer::aprayer::aprayer: Help me figure this out. It drives me crazy trying to figure ketosis out.

In the morning I am in ketosis first thing then from there on out I am out of it till late night and I am a trace again.

Sorry to ramble just frustrated. :stars:

Dottie 07-18-2013 05:08 AM

Deep breath lol:)
That's perfectly normal to not show ketosis on the sticks 24/7.
As long as you're losing weight and not adding a lot of carbs, you're fine:)

Aomiel 07-18-2013 05:59 AM

If you are using the ketostix to measure ketosis, stop worrying. They more accurately reflect how much water you're drinking since, if you're drinking the eight 8 oz glasses recommended, your stix may not even change color. Mine never did and I knew I was in ketosis by the bad breath and how quickly I was losing/reshaping my body.

One thing I did find that effected my ketosis was not just keeping my carbs below 25, but also spreading them out through the day. If I tried to eat all 25 carbs at one meal...goodbye ketosis.

Patience 07-18-2013 06:25 AM

I think it can be good to remember that our bodies are not machines and it's prob not realistic to expect precision uniform performance like a machine. We are biological marvels with a lot more variation than would be acceptable in a car or computer.

Rhubarb 07-18-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16520281)
If you are using the ketostix to measure ketosis, stop worrying. They more accurately reflect how much water you're drinking since, if you're drinking the eight 8 oz glasses recommended, your stix may not even change color.

I think that's right. Your urine is more concentrated in the morning which is why the sticks register ketosis then.

thatphdguy 07-18-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16520325)
I think it can be good to remember that our bodies are not machines and it's prob not realistic to expect precision uniform performance like a machine. We are biological marvels with a lot more variation than would be acceptable in a car or computer.

Totally on point Bella :clap:

ravenrose 07-18-2013 09:06 AM

do you use coconut oil? I am pretty sure the fatty acids in coconut oil show up as ketones when you test, giving a false reading. just because you have them in your blood doesn't mean you are producing them in your liver, which is the point of the test.

MissBeeps 07-18-2013 09:51 AM

You're either in ketosis or you're not, the stix only measure the concentration of ketones in the urine (which, as mentioned, varies throughout the day with your level of hydration.) It isn't a matter of what "degree" of ketosis you're in. Personally, if I read more than "small" I know I need to up my water intake.

jaws 07-18-2013 11:45 PM

I'd skip the tests and go by how you feel. High appetite sustained over several days? Too many carbs or possibly not yet keto-adapted. Lack of appetite despite physical activity? Pretty good sign of ketosis, for me. I haven't seen scientific evidence for anything a lot of people like to parrot regarding the tests and/or what they really mean.

Just my own experience and opinions based on that. :)

clackley 07-19-2013 06:25 AM

Ketostix are notorious for giving false negatives. They only test for 1 of the 3 types of ketones produced in the body and it is good to remember that the ketones that do show up on a ketostix are those that are being wasted. Some people get very efficient and don't lose ketones through urine and respiration after time.

I agree with the advice to go by how you are feeling.

MarineMom 07-20-2013 07:24 AM

Thanks to you all for responding. I know I have a lot to learn. I tend to have a little OCD when I do certain things. I have to tell myself that it does not matter what color the stick is if I am losing thats all the matters!

I don't use coconut oil so I am pretty sure thats not it. But I have been drinking my water and staying with the program. I lost 4.2 this week after falling off the wagon for a few weeks. Thank goodness I only gained 1.8 while off the wagon. LOL

I just wanted to get back in to ketosis asap. Thanks so much for all the dvice.