Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cowgirl22
Month in & No Weight Loss

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting discouraged. I have been doing the low carb Atkins diet for a month now (4 1/2 weeks). I use to be a rower in college but stopped in May. I still workout about 3-4 times a week (running/weight lifting). My carbs have been under 20-30 this whole time. I am a female 5'7 at 150 lbs. I am trying to get to 130. The first two weeks I dropped 5 lbs but now I am up 2 from there and stuck. I don't know what to do and feel like giving up!
cowgirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rcookie
Stats: 325/292.8/185
WOE: LC
Start Date: April 2013
My opinion is just to stick with it. Some people take longer to adjust, I am one of those people. It took me about 9 weeks to start losing.

Hang in there!
rcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
YOu could post a menu or two and we'll tear it apart for you.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Experienced supportive posters will want a whole lot more information. Such as if you've read Atkins material and are following one of those specific programs. They'll want to see a typical diet.

Age, gender, lifestyle, and medications would also help.
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
You're already at a perfectly healthy weight for your height, so that means losing additional weight will be tough. Counting carbs probably won't be enough, as you've already found. For me, losing vanity weight means:
1. weighing and recording every single little bite
2. reducing protein (to between 70 and 90 grams a day--your level may vary) and increasing fat
3. keeping carbs to below 20 and calories at about 1200 to 1500
4. getting a lot of exercise
Doing all this, I can stay at about 135 lbs and I'm 5'6". I exercise a couple hours a day, most days--road biking, mountain biking, swimming, kayaking. Of course, I'm almost 52, and post menopause it's trickier.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
It sounds like you are very athletic and a bit taller than average for a woman. Have you had body composition testing done to see what your lean body mass is? That plus an essential amount of fat would the absolute minimum weight you should be. If you haven't been tested, it might be a hgher number than you think it should be. Not sure where you are but the university I work at has both DEXA and BOD POD equipment. Some places also do hydrostatic weighing. The DEXA is the most accurate, but the others also work well. If you are still in touch with your coach you might ask if they know where you can get it done.

Also, even if you don't lose any weight (or if it turns out you don't need to, or shouldn't) eating a well-formulated low carb diet is a healthy way to eat. You might want to check out one of the books by Drs. Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living or The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 07-18-2013 at 06:54 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Hi there,

Post a menu and our "experts" will help you out; they are a great source of information and encouragement

As far as the weight goes, bodies respond differently to low carb. Keto-adaptation differs from person to person.

Keep going at it...You will see results soon.
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cowgirl22

I’m 21, Female, athletic but recently got office job so less active as 2 months ago. Still work out 3-4 times a week. Only medication I take is birth control.

Here is my basic daily menu:

Breakfast

2 scrambled eggs with onion, cheese, pepper, and mushroom

Lunch

Small salad with vinaigrette dressing

Dinner

1 1/2cheeseburgers (no bun), serving of broccoli and serving of blueberries

I eat the same amount each day but with these being the basics. Sometimes dinner will be chicken, sausage or hot dogs with other veggies (celery, mushrooms, peppers, squash, or cucumber). Also, some days I have Sugar Free Jell-O or almonds. The only thing I drink all day is water. I would be interested in getting the body composition test done. I know I have weight to lose but also know I have a lot of muscle from rowing still, which could be getting in the way. I used to carb load during rowing season so eating this well for a month is very new to me and I’m surprised my body has stayed the exact same. (might as well eat some pizza and ice cream again) I use to be 130-135 before I started rowing. With muscle and fat gain I’m at 150 and have been for 2-3 years. Now that I am done rowing and not doing as intense training I wanted to start low carb.
cowgirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #9

I'd tweak it by adding 4 oz serving of protein at lunch. For the short term, just to get you rolling on weight loss, I'd have a little more veggies instead of the berries. You could add the berries back in after you settle in to losing.

And the big glaring problem I see is that I'm not seeing enough fat.

Here is what I eat daily for my fats in addition to full fat meats like dark meat chicken with skin, fatty steaks and roasts, and salmon:
2-3 TBL olive oil
1-2 TBL butter
1-2 TBL full fat ranch

One day might be 1 tbl butter w/my eggs, a tbl dressing mixed w/2-3 tsp olive oil for my salad, and either a cooked veggie w/a tbl of oil or butter or another salad w/1 tbl dressing and 2-3 tsp oil.

If I notice that I didn't use 5 servings of fat each day, I'll add a tbl or two of butter to some msg-free broth and sip it--it's rich but tasty.

Also, make sure you get plenty of salt, magnesium, and potassium.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #10

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Onions and mushrooms have a lot of carbs. A salad is not really a lunch. You need to get your body using fat as a fuel source. But, you do not have enough fat in your food to allow that.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I was terrified of fat (still am a little bit) and this is my daily fat intake in addition to the fat in the protein I take
4 TBSP of full fat dressing
2 TBSP of Mayo
1-2 TBSP of Butter or 1-2 TBSP of Ev olive oil...
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
YOu could post a menu or two and we'll tear it apart for you.
Yeah, nothing this bunch love more than tearing apart a menu.

I mean that in a good way. Though sometimes the truth hurts. It is like a big batch of tough .
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl22 View Post
Only medication I take is birth control..
Research is ambiguous on this. I concluded that my Mirena, which I had during my last attempt at weight loss, contributed to my inability to lose.

In your case, I'd be more likely to assume that it is that your body is naturally resistent because you are close to (or at) your natural body's weight.
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
Yeah, nothing this bunch love more than tearing apart a menu.

I mean that in a good way. Though sometimes the truth hurts. It is like a big batch of tough .
I resemble that remark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlyfechrysalis View Post
Research is ambiguous on this. I concluded that my Mirena, which I had during my last attempt at weight loss, contributed to my inability to lose.

In your case, I'd be more likely to assume that it is that your body is naturally resistent because you are close to (or at) your natural body's weight.
I tend to agree. Sometimes we have to look at our goals to make sure they are reasonable and not a product of society's 'thin is in' thinking.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I lost 10 pounds after going off oral birth control. Consider Paraguard, a copper IUD. I had a Mirena with no weight problems but others have had problems with it. As for your menu, I would starve on that. I know that wasn't a helpful statement but Lord! What is that, 750 calories? But I don't know how big your cheeseburgers are. I would throw a chicken breast on that salad but don't listen to me because I am notorious for overeating protein.

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 07-20-2013 at 05:42 PM..
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
I would drop the onions and the blueberries.
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Based on a variety of weight charts, for your age you should be roughly mid-130's...but these don't take into account your muscle...which you say you have. Muscle will weigh more than fat. So, while the scales say 150, you might have to lose muscle to get to 130.

When my sister joined the navy, the told her that at 5'0 she needed to go from 140 (her weight at that time) to about 105. <Don't quote me on the exact numbers...may be off by a couple>. She has Thompson's disease which means her muscles are firing even at rest and so she has much more muscle mass. Looks as if she works out with weights (not bulky though) and the most she did was walk around a golf course. She finally got letters from several medical experts who said that her body fat percentage was as low as was safe to go and that if she tried to reach 105, she'd have to do it by losing muscle mass...not possible with her disease.

My point being that the scale said she was overweight...when in reality she wasn't. I would do as others suggested and get a body composition test done.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote