Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #31
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
For me it's necessary . But if your whole house just has safe foods and you wouldn't order takeout bc nothing is calling your name in the pantry, I guess you'd be good.

For me, not knowing can lead to bad choices out of desperation. Also I hate being hungry, I start to go hypoglycemic ( hoping that subsides over time) but it makes me panic so I would shove in whatever, that's why I always hv almonds with me, just in case.
I agree.

I live alone and all the food in my kitchen is healthy. I don't order takeout or run out for fast food. I might forget to take something out of the freezer but, if I do, I can always have eggs.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
I am and I'm not.

I plan what my family is going to eat, but I don't plan what I am going to eat. But I always eat on plan!
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #33

I do think living alone makes it a lot easier. There simply aren't any bad choices available to me.

If I think I'm going to have chicken stirfry for dinner & decide on a grassfed beef burger on a lettuce wrap instead it is still good.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I do think it is easier to not plan since I live alone and only have to worry about feeding myself. I plan ahead if there is a particular dish that I want to make in order to make sure I purchase the ingredients I need. If I am not cooking (which is most of the time), I generally don't decide what I want tell the last minute. I often pull into the parking lot of a restaurant and change my mind and go somewhere else.

Even now I think I want Wendy's but grilled chicken from KFC sounds good too. I'm hungry so that generally speeds up my decision making process.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #35
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Queen View Post
Not a planner. I want to think of this as a WOL, not a diet..and nothing screams diet more than knowing every morsel you will eat every day!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #36
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
For me, planning ahead is essential. No plan is a plan to fail really is my truth.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
I plan what I buy and need for the week, but every day is open to whatever I bought.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I think there is a lot a variation between regimentated planning and eating willy nilly. There are days and meals that are well planned and other days that are prepared based on what's in the fridge/freezer.

I find that the simpler I eat, the less planning I ever need. I go through periods where I eat the same thing almost every day for no apparent reason ( laziness?).
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #39
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
My idea of "meal planning" is stopping at the supermarket to get that evening's dinner ingredients. Aside from having something at the ready marinating in beer or Italian/Greek dressing, or remembering to transfer an item from the freezer to fridge to defrost, my meal-planning doesn't extend further down the line than that.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
For me, I do not like the idea of planning because it forces me to concentrate on food choices. So what is wrong with that? I want to "eat to live" not "live to eat" and if I am focusing on food all the time, then that takes up space in my brain I would rather use for other things. Make sense?

However, unfortunately I have not had success with the "wing-it" approach. I tried Weight Watchers where you really have to measure and count points and I failed because I hated doing that. So what to do? Not planning doesn't work, I don't like planning because it is restrictive.

The conclusion I came up with is that I am going to have to "suck it up" and plan. When I say plan I mean be cognizant of what I eat, when, how much etc. I cannot eat like a "normal" person, i.e., someone who has no weight issues and basically can eat whatever. I liken it to having a medical condition. People with diabetes cannot eat whatever they want. It is not fair (for me or for the millions of others) but it is what it is.
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
For me, I do not like the idea of planning because it forces me to concentrate on food choices.

See, that is so interesting because to me and other people I know, we feel planning ahead (i.e. buying all the things we need for the week's meals or knowing what is going to be available at a restaurant or on a vacation) has the opposite effect. It frees us up from having to bother thinking about food or thinking about "what sounds good?" or "what do we feel like eating tonight?" Honestly, I feel that the less time spent thinking about food, recipes, options, new things to try--the better. So just having the basic everyday food on hand and knowing we can plunk some kind of protein and veg on our plate, and be fine with that, removes a lot of the "food involvement" for some of us.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #42
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I totally agree with Peanutte. IMO, 'cravings' come from thinking about what I'd 'like' to eat, and the less food involvement I have, the easier it is for me to stay with my WOE.

By planning, I know that on any given day that week, I have what I need available and don't really have to give my menu much thought at all.

When I was working (now retired) and was driving home thinking about what I 'felt like' having for dinner, I invariably made poor choices because I was not only hungry but experiencing the stress relief at the end of the work day. That's a combination that, for me, would lead to "WTH; I'll get Chinese take out" or I'd stop for fast food, buying far too much but eating it all.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
See, that is so interesting because to me and other people I know, we feel planning ahead (i.e. buying all the things we need for the week's meals or knowing what is going to be available at a restaurant or on a vacation) has the opposite effect. It frees us up from having to bother thinking about food or thinking about "what sounds good?" or "what do we feel like eating tonight?" Honestly, I feel that the less time spent thinking about food, recipes, options, new things to try--the better. So just having the basic everyday food on hand and knowing we can plunk some kind of protein and veg on our plate, and be fine with that, removes a lot of the "food involvement" for some of us.
I think those of us who don't plan are talking about not writing out our menus on a daily or weekly basis, not just "winging it". I know for me I always have LC friendly foods in the house so I can look in the fridge/freezer in the morning and decide what sounds good for dinner. I never plan breakfast or lunch until it's time to eat, though. If picking out something for dinner is "planning" then I guess I'm doing it, but I never thought of it as such.

I know I would be if I didn't have the ingredients for my LC meals on hand but as far as planning out the whole day or week, this I don't do.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 07-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #44

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
I do...and yet I don't. I don't plan the actual meals ahead of time because I never know what I'm going to feel like eating *BUT* I plan my available choices ahead of time so I easily have something to choose from.

I always have romaine lettuce, eggs (some hard boiled), ham/turkey slices and hard cheese in the fridge. I always have individually packaged skinless chicken breasts, pork chops and steaks (4-5 oz each) and 1 lb packages of ground beef. During the summer I keep kale, broccoli, green beans, etc. (about 4 days worth) as well. I'll usually plan in the morning what I'm going to cook that evening. Lunch is usually a salad with protein in it cuz I *love* salads. Then it's easy enough to take out what I want, stick it in a freezer ziploc (which I just clean and reuse) and submerge it in cold water. It thaws in about an hour (or less if I've let it sit frozen in the fridge from morning).

That's how I plan as well. I stock up on a variety of on-plan foods from a list, which I buy on a weekly basis. So the day before I usually look at what I have and what I feel like eating for the following day. If I have leftovers from one week, they go toward the following week and I only buy what is missing to replenish my list.

Beef steaks and brisket, hamburger, individually frozen boneless chicken thighs, chicken, turkey breast, organic lettuce, organic celery, salad fixings, olive oil, Kerrygold butter, hard cheeses, frozen spinach, in-season LC veggies, cream cheese, HWC, eggs, etc. are some of the items on my list.

My family doesn't do LC, even though I wish they were, and I have a general weekly meal plan for their food.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - 887, and over 2,057,000 steps

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 07-18-2013 at 03:08 PM..
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
I am a planner as well. I log in my food in my food journal the night before based on what I know I have on hand. I always keep a certain amount of staples in my frig so I know what I can have. If I do decide to change what I had planned I go to my food journal and plug in the new food to make sure I am keeping within my allowances for the day. I tend to eat the same things over and over so I know what will work and how much of a certain food I can have. I also weigh and measure everything so I am not just guessing how much I can have. I review menus online as well so that I know what I will be eating before I go out for dinner. My failure in the past has been due to not planning and not tracking my food or my weight. For me it is worth the effort to be a little more regimented.

Frankie, great idea! I plan a day ahead myself. I also weigh and measure everything and use an online food journal. Guessing what and how much to eat has been my downfall in the past. As a matter of fact, the only time I've consistently lost weight over a period of time were the times when I stopped measuring and recording my food. I guess I have a greedy eye and start eating greater quantities and more carbs because I think it's lots less than it actually is. I can see the benefits in recording the food the night before and see what the following day looks like and how much can be eaten. I pack my lunch for work every day.

I also wanted to say congratulations on your amazing WL!

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 07-18-2013 at 03:11 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I totally agree with Peanutte. IMO, 'cravings' come from thinking about what I'd 'like' to eat, and the less food involvement I have, the easier it is for me to stay with my WOE.

By planning, I know that on any given day that week, I have what I need available and don't really have to give my menu much thought at all.

When I was working (now retired) and was driving home thinking about what I 'felt like' having for dinner, I invariably made poor choices because I was not only hungry but experiencing the stress relief at the end of the work day. That's a combination that, for me, would lead to "WTH; I'll get Chinese take out" or I'd stop for fast food, buying far too much but eating it all.
This is an example of how different we all are. I understand how planning all the details ahead of time is important for your success.

My reality is different. I don't get cravings for foods I should not eat. Unhealthy foods simply don't enter my mind when I ask myself what I want for dinner. I'm not worried about those thoughts popping into my head. It doesn't happen. Even when I eat at someone else's home or at a restaurant I am not tempted to eat "off-plan" foods. I love my healthy foods.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #47

Oops, double post, sorry.

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 07-18-2013 at 03:45 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #48
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
This is an example of how different we all are. I understand how planning all the details ahead of time is important for your success.

My reality is different. I don't get cravings for foods I should not eat. Unhealthy foods simply don't enter my mind when I ask myself what I want for dinner. I'm not worried about those thoughts popping into my head. It doesn't happen. Even when I eat at someone else's home or at a restaurant I am not tempted to eat "off-plan" foods. I love my healthy foods.
Me too!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Me too!
Me three! We're mutants.
Arctic_Mama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
I do...and yet I don't. I don't plan the actual meals ahead of time because I never know what I'm going to feel like eating *BUT* I plan my available choices ahead of time so I easily have something to choose from.

I always have romaine lettuce, eggs (some hard boiled), ham/turkey slices and hard cheese in the fridge. . . .

I am the exact same way. I stock the fridge up with low carb goodies usually on Sunday and again on Wednesday and they get me through 3-4 days. For me it's pepperoni slices, HWC, skinless chicken breasts, ground beef patties, sf jello, eggs, bacon, sometimes sausage (I get a 0carb kind) and several pitchers of water.

I write down everything that I eat to visually see that I'm staying on task with my carb limits (usually 20 per day; maybe 3x a month 30-35 if I feel like a little splurge)

I have no idea what my weight was when I started b/c I had no scale then. But so far this month I've lost 8lbs; if I keep this momentum and kind of losing going I will meet my first goal by the end of July. Here's hoping.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #51

lol @ mutants! True!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post

YOU ^^^ have put into words just what I was trying to say. I don't eat off plan now, pain from eating HC helps that, and I know what foods to eat and not eat. Even if I was terribly hungry or in situation of temptation I will still eat LC. My pain is my reality, so there is no temptation for those foods that cause this pain, thus no need to plan every single bit that goes into my mouth!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #53

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post

That's how I plan as well. I stock up on a variety of on-plan foods from a list, which I buy on a weekly basis. So the day before I usually look at what I have and what I feel like eating for the following day. If I have leftovers from one week, they go toward the following week and I only buy what is missing to replenish my list.

Beef steaks and brisket, hamburger, individually frozen boneless chicken thighs, chicken, turkey breast, organic lettuce, organic celery, salad fixings, olive oil, Kerrygold butter, hard cheeses, frozen spinach, in-season LC veggies, cream cheese, HWC, eggs, etc. are some of the items on my list.

My family doesn't do LC, even though I wish they were, and I have a general weekly meal plan for their food.
This is similar to how I do it.
I always have eggs, burger patties made up, and chicken thighs. Salad stuff, veggies for raw veg strips, one or two fresh veg to cook like green beans or broccoli. I keep olive oil, butter, and broth on hand. I keep snacks for my husband (nuts, pepperoni, cheese, veggies, berries and melon), and I keep cheese and cream to use in recipes.

I cook simply and emphasize raw veggies. If I want something fancier, I'll add the ingredients to my shopping list. The most recent examples were baked spaghetti squash with parmesan, cream, and butter and last night's fried chicken w/parmesan/almond flour/pork rind breading. After that we go back to hamburger or steak or uncoated baked chicken with green beans, broccoli, or salads.

Usually daily 'shopping' means pulling a meat from the freezer and deciding what veggies I want in my salad.

Last edited by emel; 07-19-2013 at 03:44 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I like to know what comes next, this goes for everything in life, LOL (I'm a control freak).
I plan my menu for a day but I don't plan days, weeks or months in advance. I like knowing what I can and can't have and I like knowing the numbers. Over the years, I've learned to be a little more flexible, so I find that if my menu does change it doesn't matter that much. As long as I stay on my WOE plan, because going off plan even for one meal has gotten me back to where I am now!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rocket Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
That's an interesting and strongly-expressed opinion, Rocket.

I remember seeing Ali Vincent, the first female winner of The Biggest Loser, on some TV show years ago, and she was showing all the things she still did to maintain her weight loss. She exercised regularly, and she weighed and measured her food (and counted calories). I thought that seemed awful--unnatural, unrealistic, grim, way too strict--and I said "Who would ever want to live that way?!" and I really meant it.

Later, when I was living it, I understood why she did what she did. I had resisted the idea of planning and measuring and counting, prior to weight loss. But...what can I say. I changed my mind. I don't mind living that way at all. I just needed to accept it and get used to it.

To me, "I'm on a diet" hasn't meant anything other than I eat how I eat and do what I have to do. I know there are others who feel the same way about the word "diet", and others who don't. Some people call their program a lifestyle, a way of eating, a way of life. The word we choose doesn't make us successful or not; our habits and choices do. And our habits and choices don't have to look the same as anybody else's, but sometimes we might surprise ourselves.
Im a little confused at what I expressed so "strongly." ??? I answered a question.

If planning every meal, weighing and measuring every bite works for you, wonderful. I wasn't trying to influence anyone by stating my answer and opinion. But it doesn't work for me. Im not on Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, South Beach, Nutri-System or anything else that requires tracking, calorie counting or weighing and measuring. Those things do no work for me because I don't like feeling restricted and having everything laid out in advance. If my fridge and pantry are stocked will LC foods, I don't need to plan each meal...I can walk in and decide what sounds good. That's the action that makes me successful. Not a meal plan.
Rocket Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #56

Whatever makes you successful makes you successful, I agree. I wasn't criticizing your opinion, which I hoped was made clear by saying different people have different views about the word "diet" and what that means to them.

I don't measure and weigh every crumb or every meal, day in and day out. I do it four days a week for sure, sometimes five, and then two days a week I don't.

Glad you have found what works for you. That's all any of us are trying to do.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Queen View Post
Im a little confused at what I expressed so "strongly." ??? I answered a question.

If planning every meal, weighing and measuring every bite works for you, wonderful. I wasn't trying to influence anyone by stating my answer and opinion. But it doesn't work for me. Im not on Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, South Beach, Nutri-System or anything else that requires tracking, calorie counting or weighing and measuring. Those things do no work for me because I don't like feeling restricted and having everything laid out in advance. If my fridge and pantry are stocked will LC foods, I don't need to plan each meal...I can walk in and decide what sounds good. That's the action that makes me successful. Not a meal plan.
I didn't see you as expressing a "strong" opinion at all, just reflecting on how planning feels too much like a "diet" to you. I personally have the same thoughts as you do and agree it feels too much like a diet to me when I need to make it such a focus in my daily life.

Different strokes for different folks and it's only by seeing the other side that we can be enlightened, I believe.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #58

I don't mind conceding that it's a diet because it is a diet. I was trying to lose weight--no need to pretend otherwise or avoid the fact that I was restricting in order to lose weight. There is no weight loss program on this earth that does not require some form of restriction--but that doesn't mean we need to feel deprived, because our attitudes are within our control.

Other people might feel differently about it but I am totally on-board with saying, yes I was on a diet, and I am still on a diet. Maybe it's like how some marginalized groups of people, minorities in particular, want to reclaim certain words because they have been given too much negative power. I want to reclaim the word "diet". I don't like how it has become some kind of weird negative thing that people avoid. That's maybe just me, though I do think there are others who agree with me.

Oh well; it's not that important. Whatever works for people works for people, right?
Old 07-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Atkins Chick
Stats: I weigh only 1x a month on the 16th
WOE: Atkins/Induction till the last 20 lbs
Start Date: Restarted 7-25-13
I travel for work and can be on the road for 10/12 hours a day. I typically will prepare my meals and snacks on Sunday, put them in tupperware and in the fridge. I even will make oopsie rolls if I feel I'll make a sandwich one day that week. Then I can just take a tupperware container and snacks with me and microwave them at convenience stores... If I dont plan, I end up eating at fast food restaurants while travelling.
Atkins Chick is online now   Reply With Quote