Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Suggestions for induction with these allergies? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/807904-suggestions-induction-these-allergies.html)

vixendrop 07-12-2013 03:58 PM

Suggestions for induction with these allergies?

I've come back to LC and I felt better instantly. I'm having a hard time finding a good variety to eat though and am already feeling so bored with my choices. I have a LOT of food allergies and intolerances which make finding meals and snacks difficult. I was hoping some people here would have some ideas.

Here are some of the things to which I am either allergic or intolerant:
All seafood - both fish and shellfish
Pork
Peanuts
Almonds
Cauliflower
Soy
Mushrooms
Onion
Olives
Squash

I might be forgetting something, but that's what I can remember off the top of my head. TIA!

Ntombi 07-12-2013 04:18 PM

I too have a huge amount of deadly food allergies, and we have some overlap. I won't list all of mine, but they include soy, tree nuts, corn, and raw fruits and vegetables.

I have no problem eating very well keeping my meals very low carb, moderate protein, and high fat, but I do have to skip a lot of the LC products (better for me anyway) and substitution foods (again, no biggie). I eat cleanly for the most part, eat out fairly often, and keep snacking to a minimum.

Are you looking for ideas for meals or snacks or what?

vixendrop 07-12-2013 04:28 PM

Yes, to both. I'm on the run a LOT so it's easier to snack throughout the day instead of having to eat full meals, but I also need some meal ideas. I can handle just so many hard boiled eggs for snacks (I'm starting to gag at the thought of that again) and I'm sick of having baked chicken with green beans for dinner.

Ntombi 07-12-2013 04:56 PM

Sliced cold cut wrapped up with a schmear of cream cheese or a half slice of cheese and a pickle spear

Pickles or pickled veggies with a few ounces of meat

Egg salad eaten with celery or other veggies

You can pre-cook mini quiches or egg and cheese muffins, adding all kinds of different herbs, veggies, or meats to change them up.

Roast your veggies for a change. I love pretty much any roasted veggie, including cabbage and Brussels sprouts. Just toss with olive oil and salt and you're good to go.

If you have a crockpot, use it. Cook beef or chicken or maybe a turkey breast, with lots of flavorful aromatics, add veggies like greens or cabbage when it's halfway done, then separate the food into servings to keep in the fridge or freezer.

I buy family packs of ground beef and separate them into patties before freezing. They're easy to defrost and cook one at a time, or several at once for a quick one pot meal with many different flavors.

I keep shredded cabbage in the fridge, to add to a meal in a hurry.

Homemade coleslaw. I try to keep that in the fridge too, so I can grab a spoonful whenever.

Invest in spices. They can completely change the same baked chicken or stir fry with little effort. I troll the aisles of my favorite Asian market, and the "ethnic" aisles of the supermarket, looking for new things to try. If I'm not sure what something is or how to use it, I google the ingredient while I'm still shopping, looking to see if its something I might want to try.

Even with lots of food allergies, there's no reason to be bored with food. :)

cfine 07-12-2013 08:36 PM

:goodpost:

Aomiel 07-13-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixendrop (Post 16512394)
Here are some of the things to which I am either allergic or intolerant:
All seafood - both fish and shellfish
Pork
Peanuts
Almonds
Cauliflower
Soy
Mushrooms
Onion
Olives
Squash

I might be forgetting something, but that's what I can remember off the top of my head. TIA!

If this list is the entire list, then easy peasy. Red meat, and any vegies except those listed (broccoli, green beans, brussel sprouts, kale, etc.).

You can do turkey sausage and eggs for breakfast. Deviled eggs (instead of boiled) or chef salad of spring greens/baby spinach with turkey or chicken or even steak cut up in it with a full fat dressing for lunch. Tuna mixed with mayo on an oopsie roll is yummy. For dinner - burger on an oopsie or alone, steak, grilled chicken caesar salad.

The list goes on. :)

emel 07-13-2013 06:39 AM

I'm familiar with working around a soy allergy.
Packaged foods are pretty much out, so you'll need to do good prep work to have your foods on hand.

--veggie tray in tupperware. radishes and celery keep well. Peppers/cukes are better to just wash them and put them in the tupperware whole for easy slicing when you'll eat them.
-we're grooving on baby bok choy as salad greens or lightly sauteed. And I can get a bag of prewashed mixed chard and spinach, great for salad bed or for saute.
-Beef steak, roast, burger, or composed dish like browned and drained and mixed with cabbage/tomato/chili seasonings or peppers, garlic, and yellow cheese.

Cook an eye of round roast on sunday and enjoy it thinly sliced and cold for lunches for the next workweek.

Or dip some chicken wings or legs into melted butter and coat them with parmesan mixed with dried herbs. A good meal and awesome cold snacks and lunches for later.

cinglessofme 07-13-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16512475)
Invest in spices.

Best cooking advice ever. I recently discovered this for myself and it has been invaluable. I am no longer bored with my food choices. My fav is a chimichuri rub for steaks :heart:

vixendrop 07-13-2013 12:24 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. :) I'm going to be remaking my shopping list and see if I can expand my menu a bit.

micheleredit 07-13-2013 01:00 PM

My allergies disappeared once I stopped consuming all dairy.

Yes it sucks but I no longer get sinuses infections on a monthly basis. In fact the only reason I get sick is if I forget to prioritize sleep.

buttercup30 07-19-2013 11:07 PM

I do understand the food allergies. I am allergic to caramel coloring. It does make planning hard. You gotta read every label.