Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
feeling weird when waking up

The past week and a half I have woken up the the morning feeling incredibly hot, shaking and feeling dehydrated. My diet has stayed the same and I get quite a bit of water every day. I take a multivitamin and am in my CLA off week

Edited to add: my blood sugar tests fine every time tested - fasting, before and after eating. all fall within the normal range.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?

Last edited by tinamanni; 07-12-2013 at 06:30 AM..
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
No and I don't think it is normal. If you have a blood glucose meter, it might be useful to take a test when you feel like that but I would suggest getting in touch with your doctor. In the meantime, I would also suggest not continuing to take the CLA. This is from Wiki...

Quote:
Possible adverse effects of CLA (supplements) in humans[edit]
There are concerns that the use of CLA supplements by extremely overweight people may tend to cause or to aggravate insulin resistance, which may increase their risk of developing diabetes.[14] Commercially available supplements contain equal mixtures of two CLA isomers: the cis-9, trans-11 isomer (also known as rumenic acid, the predominant CLA isomer in milk and beef), as well as the trans-10, cis-12 (t10c12) isomer. All other isomers ratios found in the scientific literature are not commercially available. The trans-10, cis-12 isomer is linked to many adverse side effects. Research indicates that supplementation with t10c12 CLA dramatically increases rates of oxidative stress, to levels considerably higher than that observed in heavy smokers.[14]

However, the evidence is controversial, and some studies using a mixture of c9t11 and t10c12 CLA showed no changes in insulin sensitivity.[45][46] A study in 2007 used the euglycemic hyperinsulinemic clamp method, which is the gold standard, to evaluate insulin resistance. The study performed on 49 obese or overweight individuals taking 3.2g CLA per day for six months found no adverse effects on blood glucose management. In addition, the long-term studies of one and two years have found CLA supplementation to be well tolerated, but there was an increase in some markers associated with inflammation and cardiovascular disease risk, and two of 134 subjects had increased levels of transaminases.[47] In one study, t10c12 CLA produced a 32% increase in biliary cholesterol concentration, which increases the chance of gallstone formation.[48] In 2006, a study by the US Department of Agriculture suggested CLA can induce essential fatty acid redistribution in mice. Changes in docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and arachidonic acid (AA) levels were observed in some organs. For instance, the t10,c12 CLA reduced the DHA content of heart tissue by 25%, while in the spleen, DHA content rose, and AA fell. DHA is an omega-3 fatty acid important to cardiovascular health, and the dramatic reduction of DHA in heart tissue can have serious health consequences. In contrast, c9,t11 CLA did not alter DHA content in the heart, but did reduce spleen DHA slightly.[13] A study of CLA supplementation (equal amounts of c9,t11 and t10,c12) in hatchling chicks showed high mortality and low hatchability rates among CLA-supplemented groups, and also a decrease in brain DHA levels of CLA-treated chicks.[49] These studies raise the question of whether CLA may increase the risk of cardiovascular and inflammatory diseases, but whether such changes occur in humans and are clinically relevant have yet to be established.

The general consensus is that the use of this supplement should be carefully examined if the person using the supplement is greatly overweight.[50]

A CLA supplement containing the t10,c12 isomer may be deleterious to women whose breast epithelium or tumor overexpresses Her2/ErbB2, as well, potentially, to other women at risk for breast cancer. [51]
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I meant to add that my blood sugar tests fine every time tested - fasting, before and after eating. all fall within the normal range. I am going to add this to the original post
Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Is it possible that the symptoms are related to peri-meno?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I'm 28 so it dang well better not be This is the only time I feel this way - for a few (and I mean 2 or 3) after waking up , never through the day and never do I wake up from it during the night. I am going to up my water intake to see if helps
Old 07-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Couldn't hurt!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
You say you wake up that way.
This implies that at some point the feeling goes away.
What have done when the feeling subsides?
Is it after breakfast? or just some random time?
That may give a hint as to what's going on.
IMHO if you can't id and solve this soon, I wouldn't wait too long
to get to a doc.
Good luck to you and please let us know what you learn.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Tina, I had another thought and that is that maybe your electrolytes are low and you could try having a couple of cups of chicken broth ... one just before bed might really be good. Just an idea. I would also not try to drink extra fluid as this would just contribute to the problem if that is what it is. So just drink what you normally would and see.

Last edited by clackley; 07-12-2013 at 09:28 AM..
Old 07-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

avid- its really just a matter of minutes... Like before I am out of bed I feel fine

clackey - good idea, I will definitely try it!!