Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dink
Not trying to lose weight - trying to starve bad bugs

Greetings. I am doing low carb to starve out the 'too many' bad microbes in my gut. (verified by several tests such as MOAT and CDSA)

Anyway, I am already thin so I don't want/need to lose any weight. How can I go low carb, keep it healthy, and not lose weight? And not be so tired, like I am right now after 3 days of LC?

Thanks for any advice!
dink is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
In order to keep from losing weight, keep your fat intake up and to avoid feeling tired, try some full sodium chicken broth (2 cups ). Low carb is healthy so no,worries there!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
How low is low carb for you? Aside from that, I'm thinking just eat enough calories to maintain your weight- if you are already thin, you're body is going to resist losing weight if you eat enough food. As far as feeling weak, your body is getting used to the change in diet. It's called induction flu, and it lasts a few days to a week usually.
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I looked at gut balance too.Still looking actually. The tiredness should soon go ,it is normal if you are eating at ketosis inducing levels. However, killing off the overpopulation of bad microbes or excessive good ones can have the same effect. Re not losing weight all the advice I can give you is to keep your fat levels high but know the critters you are trying to deal with so that whatever you increase does not interfere with your detox. Good luck.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Greetings! Thanks for the reply. I tried the broth (can't do canned due to glutamate sensitivity). It did help. Does it help to get in to low carb gradually? ie, gradually reducing carb intake over the course of a week or two?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Not really counting carbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie123 View Post
How low is low carb for you? Aside from that, I'm thinking just eat enough calories to maintain your weight- if you are already thin, you're body is going to resist losing weight if you eat enough food. As far as feeling weak, your body is getting used to the change in diet. It's called induction flu, and it lasts a few days to a week usually.

I am not really counting carbs as I am not trying to lose weight. I am trying the basic principle behind the SCD diet - except they allow fruit and honey and despite their expertise, I believe that those carbs contribute to my condition too. So I am just going strictly low carb for a while and then gradually introduce 'legal' items such as certain fruits and see what happens.

I am eating non starchy vegetables which will contain some carbs.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
In order to keep from losing weight, keep your fat intake up and to avoid feeling tired, try some full sodium chicken broth (2 cups ). Low carb is healthy so no,worries there!
Thanks for the tip. I tried the broth and it did help.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:17 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Have you seen the candida forum here? It's on the Health Support section.
Candida and Yeast - Low Carb Friends
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:18 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I gradually eased myself into liw carb so never had any of those induction flu issues. Even dr Atkins suggests eating more veggies if you feel bad during induction. Then ease yourself to less than 20 grams . BTW, even though you are not looking to lose weight, if you choose to go on a vlc diet (even at a high enough fat and calorie ) don't be alarmed if you initially lose a few pounds of water weight as vlc is diuretic. That's normal but will not not be significant at a low weight
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
OH, My GOSH, every time I see the title of this thread I think it's about starving BED bugs. Glad to know it's not...
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeeps
I recommend drinking real bone broth, not bouillon or canned/ boxed stock. If you're unfamilliar with the GAPS diet (a gut healing protocol,) some Googling will fill you in on the benefits of real bone broth. The fake stuff won't help you in any way other than the salt and it's full of additives.

If you don't want to lose weight, don't eat at a calorie defecit. While eating low carb certainly opens the pathway to losing fat stores, you still have to need to dip into those reserves to lose it. If you don't eat at a defecit your body will not need to go looking for other fuel. Logging your food is a great way to keep an eye on calories as well as making sure you're hitting all of your macros.
MissBeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBeeps View Post
I recommend drinking real bone broth, not bouillon or canned/ boxed stock. If you're unfamilliar with the GAPS diet (a gut healing protocol,) some Googling will fill you in on the benefits of real bone broth. The fake stuff won't help you in any way other than the salt and it's full of additives.

If you don't want to lose weight, don't eat at a calorie defecit. While eating low carb certainly opens the pathway to losing fat stores, you still have to need to dip into those reserves to lose it. If you don't eat at a defecit your body will not need to go looking for other fuel. Logging your food is a great way to keep an eye on calories as well as making sure you're hitting all of your macros.
I agree that homemade bone broth is the best, but some folks don't have the time to do it (but you can do it in the crockpot, starting it when you get home from work one day and taking it off when you return from work the next day). DOn't skimp on the salt and toss a couple tbl vinegar in there to help leech out the minerals from the bones. Add celery/onion scraps. maybe a little thyme and garlic. Easy peasy.

Anyway, swanson natural chicken broth (and natural beef broth as a close second), full salt, either 99% fat free or 100% fat free are the best I can find. BUT there's a small amount of yeast extract in there, which is bad for a critter diet.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
One word.....FAT!! If you are under weight or over weight, fat will help. Good fat only though....olive oil, coconut oil, fatty grass fed beef, butter, cream, cheeses.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote